Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

companion questions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 30, 2009
1- what determines how many companions show up in battle? sometimes i get 3 some times 4(only have 4 so far) but it seems random.
2-companion order doesnt seem to matter it also seems random from battle to battle

Ensign
Jan 30, 2009
well Im up to like 8 companions now and there order still seems to make no difference in who shows up in battle with me. is order supposed to determine this? or is it random? still cant figure out why the number of companions that show up varies each fight too

Community Leader
As I understand it from reading the player guide, it does matter what order you place your companions in. Starting with your first mate (100%), each companion after that has a smaller and smaller % chance to show up for combat. The closer they are placed to the first mate, the higher the % chance they will show. Also, and this is just based on my limited playtime, it seems that if there are more players in a combat, you will each get fewer companions, presumably so the battlefield doesn't get too cluttered.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
I think it is the number, type and level of opponents and the type and level of Companions that you have that determines how many Companions actually show up. So far the maximum I've had is 4 and the minimum is usually 1 (my head mate) in entering another player's combat). The only exception so far is the fighter in the Water Mole Camp before you fight with Gortez in the Gold Mine.

The Companion order does matter and it is random. The only companion who will show up every time is your head mate (mine is Bonnie Anne - since as a Privateer, I usually don't have Shooty weapons equipped). The others will appear supposedly at the rate shown under their name in the Companion Management Interface. This means that the ones at the end might not show up except rarely, but there is a chance that they will show up.

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
warpax on Oct 16, 2012 wrote:
1- what determines how many companions show up in battle? sometimes i get 3 some times 4(only have 4 so far) but it seems random.
2-companion order doesnt seem to matter it also seems random from battle to battle
1) The number of companions that show up in battle partly has to do with how many you have acquired, and how many enemy units you are in battle with. At times you will outnumber your enemy, at times you and your enemy will be evenly matched, and at times your enemy will outnumber you. Having a pet can give you an advantage sometimes, because they can randomly show up in battle with you also.

2) The only companion that is guaranteed to show up in battle with you is your first mate (provided they have not died in a prior battle and you have not gone to a life fountain to heal them). Other than that, your remaining companions enter battle with you based on a percentage rate. if you look in your companion management section (click "u" and it will come up) you will see a line-up of your companions. Their positions can be changed by clicking and dragging them to the location you want them. The higher up, the higher percentage chance they will be in battle with you.

I hope this helps.

Happy sailing!