Buccaneer's

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 01, 2012
24
What's the best armor for them? (doesn't have to be a set)
What's the best weapon for them?
Should I focus on strength or damage?
I picked Naturally spooky in the beginning of the game, did I mess up my character?
Also what's the best spear in the game, I have only seen like 3 total

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
Hi Makuzex.

If I were to roll a buccanneer, I'd probably focus on +damage. By +damage I do not mean the STR stat, but physical +damage. You know, the brown fist icon. But that is only me. I don't actually have a buccanneer, so I can't really say what would be the best weapon.

I would think that big choppy would do the most damage per swing, and if buccanneer's don't get a lot of power cards to use, I'd also recommend stacking up on some accuracy.

As for your naturally spooky talent, that is probably not what I would have chosen for my pirate, BUT, you can use that to your advantage and train in the witchdoctor tree. Not sure if you had said that or not. The witchdoctor tree will grant you two additional power boost talents, and as a buccanneer you could seriously do some long distance damage with them hoodoo spells.

I have seen some fantastic buccanneer equipment throughout my journey as a swashbuckler, and I have to say, they could even take advantage of backstabbing mobs, if you chose to also train stabby weapons.

As for end game stuff, I am not sure, but Talkin' (no G in talking) the Plank has a 50 buccanneer and could probably be a lot more help than me. You can get his blogs and contact info on his podcast link on this website!

Community Leader
Mobex on Dec 6, 2012 wrote:
What's the best armor for them? (doesn't have to be a set)
What's the best weapon for them?
Should I focus on strength or damage?
I picked Naturally spooky in the beginning of the game, did I mess up my character?
Also what's the best spear in the game, I have only seen like 3 total
I'll address your 3rd and 4th questions:

for Bucks if you want to boost their damage output, you might get more bang for your buck (heh) with +damage, given that there just aren't a lot of damage dealing powers through most of the game and you end up using your regular attack quite a bit. You also may want to pick up some accuracy gear before you get to Moo Shu.

As to picking naturally spooky. . . . you may have messed up your character in the only way possbile to mess them up at creation unless you wanted to create a black knight type character by subbing everything from the Witchdoctor tree. I've tried this (without naturally spooky) and it does work okay. Maybe with that ability tacked on there, it would make that sort of a build, filling the rest out with Privateer, a valid option. Otherwise, it's just a waste of 5%. However, I chose the 5% boost to health and that isn't increadibly useful either. In retrospect, I would have chosen the +damage as my Buck feels a bit underpowered at end game.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Dec 01, 2012
24
Talkin The Plank on Dec 7, 2012 wrote:
I'll address your 3rd and 4th questions:

for Bucks if you want to boost their damage output, you might get more bang for your buck (heh) with +damage, given that there just aren't a lot of damage dealing powers through most of the game and you end up using your regular attack quite a bit. You also may want to pick up some accuracy gear before you get to Moo Shu.

As to picking naturally spooky. . . . you may have messed up your character in the only way possbile to mess them up at creation unless you wanted to create a black knight type character by subbing everything from the Witchdoctor tree. I've tried this (without naturally spooky) and it does work okay. Maybe with that ability tacked on there, it would make that sort of a build, filling the rest out with Privateer, a valid option. Otherwise, it's just a waste of 5%. However, I chose the 5% boost to health and that isn't increadibly useful either. In retrospect, I would have chosen the +damage as my Buck feels a bit underpowered at end game.
O.....k?
So in short, str = yay, dam = boo, acc = mooshu, spooky = messed up buccaneer?

Ensign
Dec 01, 2012
24
Mobex on Dec 6, 2012 wrote:
What's the best armor for them? (doesn't have to be a set)
What's the best weapon for them?
Should I focus on strength or damage?
I picked Naturally spooky in the beginning of the game, did I mess up my character?
Also what's the best spear in the game, I have only seen like 3 total
So does anyone know the answer to my first, second, and last question?

Community Leader
Mobex on Dec 7, 2012 wrote:
O.....k?
So in short, str = yay, dam = boo, acc = mooshu, spooky = messed up buccaneer?
damage is still a good stat, since it boosts all regular attacks as well as reactive attacks. To the rest, that's correct.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Mobex on Dec 6, 2012 wrote:
What's the best armor for them? (doesn't have to be a set)
What's the best weapon for them?
Should I focus on strength or damage?
I picked Naturally spooky in the beginning of the game, did I mess up my character?
Also what's the best spear in the game, I have only seen like 3 total
Heavy Armor that gives Damage & Strength, for the hat, robe, and boots!

Easily hands down, the best weapon is Smashy/Slashy Weapons!

Damage is better than strength, but it is wise to try and focus on both, rather than one specifically.

Naturally Spooky is horrible for a Buccaneer, Accuracy or Damage would have been much better, IMO.

As far as training, I would train Slashy weapons up to 2, and then Stabby weapons, sneak attack, hide in shadows, fast, rough, etc. Of course train rouse, the group heal is optional.

These are my recommendations for the Bucs.

Ensign
Dec 01, 2012
24
Darth JT on Dec 11, 2012 wrote:
Heavy Armor that gives Damage & Strength, for the hat, robe, and boots!

Easily hands down, the best weapon is Smashy/Slashy Weapons!

Damage is better than strength, but it is wise to try and focus on both, rather than one specifically.

Naturally Spooky is horrible for a Buccaneer, Accuracy or Damage would have been much better, IMO.

As far as training, I would train Slashy weapons up to 2, and then Stabby weapons, sneak attack, hide in shadows, fast, rough, etc. Of course train rouse, the group heal is optional.

These are my recommendations for the Bucs.
So no accuracy?

I meant weapon name, but thanks for the type of weapons to look out for.

Okay

I only picked spooky because in the begging (first started playing) the crocodile people looked awesome and they said "staffy" weapons, I assumed SPEARS were "staffy", not SMASHY (I've never heard of "smashing" someone with a spear e.e)! I feel I got lied to on that part......KI >_>

Thanks?...

Ensign
Oct 01, 2010
41
I'm currently a lvl 13 Buccaneer right now, but I'll see what I can supply to help you:

Best Armor: I would try and go for Heavy Armor that gives good Armor, Resist, Strength, Damage, and/or Heath boosts.

Best Weapon: Definiately go for weapons that give bonus for Strength and are Smashy/Slashy weapons. I currently have the two-handed axe from the Ratbeard quest, so try for something like that or the Privateer Sword and Shield combo which is also Slashy/Smashy and provides Armor stats too I believe.

Strength or Damage: Personally, I'd try going for Strength for Buccaneers, Damage I'd put secondary after Strength.

Naturally Spooky Mess up: For Buccaneers, I'd probably say that does mess it up, however from the previous posts here, maybe try and learn spells from Witchdoctor class if you can.

Best Spear: Honestly, I wouldn't know. So I'm just gonna leave that one blank.

Hope my advice is of bit of help to you Makuzex

See ye all in the Spiral and Skyways:
Pirate101: Humble Jack Jackson, lvl 13 Buccaneer
Wizard101: Paul Legenddreamer, lvl 79 death
Jack Legenddreamer, lvl 53 balance
Aedan Legenddreamer, lvl 37 fire

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Mobex on Dec 11, 2012 wrote:
So no accuracy?

I meant weapon name, but thanks for the type of weapons to look out for.

Okay

I only picked spooky because in the begging (first started playing) the crocodile people looked awesome and they said "staffy" weapons, I assumed SPEARS were "staffy", not SMASHY (I've never heard of "smashing" someone with a spear e.e)! I feel I got lied to on that part......KI >_>

Thanks?...
Oh yes, by all means, get accuracy and damage on the tokens, charms, and rings.

Although, my charm or token, not the crown one with the best damage, accuracy, and dodge, but the other has 4 armor and backstab with bleeding. My other has the accuracy and health, but my hat, is from the CutThroat bundle, which gives 6 damage, 33 armor, 9 accuracy, 11 will (healing boost).

So any other equipment you get, get accuracy on that, typically, at level 45, you can get 6 accuracy and 4 damage on ring and charm.

Ensign
Dec 01, 2012
24
Alright, so I should focus on damage, strength, and accuracy?
No dodge or defense?
Because where I stand, I have a whole lot of a defense with decent strength and damage (for my level without the use of crowns)

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Mobex on Dec 13, 2012 wrote:
Alright, so I should focus on damage, strength, and accuracy?
No dodge or defense?
Because where I stand, I have a whole lot of a defense with decent strength and damage (for my level without the use of crowns)
Buc's get dodge as a free talent. On gear though, you dont really need the extra dodge, remember, you hit again if you are hit, not if they miss you. So yes, you need to focus on Armor and have as much armor as you can get. However, you need to make sure you have accuracy too, so you hit your target and not missing.

So, most important is Armor, Damage, & Accuracy! Get strength where and when you can, because it can boost your damage also.

Oh, I quite agree, the crown gear for the Buccaneers is worthless. The gear you can get in the shops is so much better for the Buccaneer's!

Although, there are a few Items in the Bundles, that if you mix and match them, can make quite an interesting setup for a Buccaneer, but that is tons of money, while the other stuff can still make you very powerful and only cost you gold.