Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Blades of Shade - Armor Penetration?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Hello wonderful people of KingsIsle YARRR! I recently acquired Blades of Shade from Cadmus. After seeing it's stats, I noticed that blade does Magical dmg, and at the same time has armor penetration. As I understood game mechanics, armor serves as defense of physical dmg and resist serves as defense of magical dmg. Could you please explain me why, Blades of Shades has armor penetration if it doesn't deal any physical dmg to the opponent? I am probably missing something out, but not sure what lol. Thx for reply in advance.

Stubborn Duncan Freeman
Greedy Duncan

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
That's a really good question... waiting eagerly for a response.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Duncan StormThief on Jan 23, 2014 wrote:
Hello wonderful people of KingsIsle YARRR! I recently acquired Blades of Shade from Cadmus. After seeing it's stats, I noticed that blade does Magical dmg, and at the same time has armor penetration. As I understood game mechanics, armor serves as defense of physical dmg and resist serves as defense of magical dmg. Could you please explain me why, Blades of Shades has armor penetration if it doesn't deal any physical dmg to the opponent? I am probably missing something out, but not sure what lol. Thx for reply in advance.

Stubborn Duncan Freeman
Greedy Duncan
Welcome to the message boards Duncan. That is an Excellent question. I, for one, can't wait to hear the answer.

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
Bumping this topic because I'd really like an answer.

But if I had to guess, I'd say the armor penetration still applies to resistance even though it says "armor". Maybe One Eyed Jack can confirm this?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Or maybe Ratbeard? After all he is the battle programming expert here.

Developer
Sorry to have let this lie fallow for so long, but I've been very busy preparing new deviltry for you all.

To answer the question:

1) Most of the "knife" weapons have a bit of armor penetration on them; it's one of the ways to make this weapon type distinct from all the others.

2) Yes, the armor penetration will apply against the Resist value.

3) You may enjoy the benefits of Armor Penetration in other ways, such as when a Swashbuckler uses his throwing blades power. Armor Penetration is a stat like any other, so boosting it is always of value-- even if you're not using the Blades of Shade themselves to make the attack.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ratbeard on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
Sorry to have let this lie fallow for so long, but I've been very busy preparing new deviltry for you all.

To answer the question:

1) Most of the "knife" weapons have a bit of armor penetration on them; it's one of the ways to make this weapon type distinct from all the others.

2) Yes, the armor penetration will apply against the Resist value.

3) You may enjoy the benefits of Armor Penetration in other ways, such as when a Swashbuckler uses his throwing blades power. Armor Penetration is a stat like any other, so boosting it is always of value-- even if you're not using the Blades of Shade themselves to make the attack.
Thank you Ratbeard for taking the time out for this. Knowing how busy you are just to make us so happy, yet you still take time out to educate us even more. It is highly appreciated.
*Bows to with an appropriate Anne Radcliffeish flourish of the hat.*

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
I never got the chance to thank you for reply. It certainly helped me to understand more about the mechanics behind this weapon. Thank you!