Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Best Companions to level?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 19, 2019
I wanted some tips on who are the best companions to level so I don't end up wasting points on bad companions. I'm currently running swashbuckler but will later run a witchdoctor as my second character. Who would be the best companions for these classes?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
NightWolf643 on Feb 20, 2019 wrote:
I wanted some tips on who are the best companions to level so I don't end up wasting points on bad companions. I'm currently running swashbuckler but will later run a witchdoctor as my second character. Who would be the best companions for these classes?
Mostly all of your companions are worth leveling up and promoting. Imo, it's bad to be stuck with a small pool of companions.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I agree with anecorbie - Level EVERYONE on yer crew, yah scallywag!

Even if all you're having them do is Companion Orders, they will get better at what they are doing if they aren't neglected. You don't need to keep them all exactly at your pirate's level, but you definitely should invest in your entire team. Sailing for Nautical Experience, for example, returns a lot more as you level them up.

The best companions are the ones who get the job done. This can vary from class to class and battle to battle. Your swashbuckler may do battle differently from my swashbuckler -- I use Flanking more than I depend on Hiding, for example. Personally, I enjoy the variety of a random crew, just to see who turns up. Getting stuck in a rut with an "A-Team" means that you will never know what your other companions can do.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
It all depends on your playing strategies. If you want to hit over and over again, get companions with Mojo Echo/Relentless/Burst Fire and Mojo Rising/Blade Storm/Double Tap. If you want to react to enemy attacks, try First Strike/Quick Draw/Intuition (To hit them before they hit you), Retribution/True Grit/Vengeance Strike (To hit them when they hit you), or Counterspell/Return Fire/Riposte (For dodgy companions. You hit the enemy when they miss you). If you want to react to the enemies approach, try Readied Spell/Overwatch/Repel Boaders (For when they engage), or Coward's Bane/Parting Shot/Cheap Shot (For when they disengage).

Hope this helps!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Welcome pirate! If you train the crew that match your class, they will tend to benefit from a lot of the boosts you give yourself, making them better even if not a top tier crew member. Do not ignore training some of the gems of crew you get early, like your first crewman, even if they are not your class. They might be weak where you are strong, but they are also strong where you are weak. You will need that with some enemies and they acquire some very handy talents. Your first crewman, Bonnie Anne, your class matching crewman you get at your trainer, and whoever you get at the Presidio all are epic crew capable of great things and epic abilities. Learn what your crew of many classes can do; it will help you learn how best to use them, and learn how enemies of those classes are tough and vulnerable.

I agree with Anecorbie and Willowydream, that it is best, and very possible, to train all of your crew. If you are not using them at all, it is easy to let them do crew tasks to train themselves. If you have let one lag way behind, just one training point will jump them up levels, while an almost your level crewman will eat training point after training point just to get that last little bit. If you find one useless, you can rank them in pet wrangling or other useful tasks. They collect better or more stuff for you with more ranks.