Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

ATOTHR!

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
WOO! So I had some spare crowns and I was all "Eh what the heck i'll buy a few Grizz packs", so I did..

AND I GOT ATOTHR! I actually got a companion!

What I would like to know is, in comparison to other Grizzly Beast companions, how good is Atothr and how should I build him? Thanks!

Pvt. Shy Malcolm Gunwale, Level 13 Head Honcho

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Congratulations on obtaining a bear companion.

This is the more powerful and rearer of the two bear warrior. Based on his size and class, may I recommend to train Atothr a heavy defense malee companion. That's lots of health,armor,rough,strength and if wanted a little agility.

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
Well Atohr is, ok. I wouldn't say PVP quality, since now he doesn't even have an advantage in epics amount. He is cool, and has a neat looking sword. Overall, though he is a nice little dude, he is worse than all the others. Still fun to use him though

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Oct 2, 2015 wrote:
WOO! So I had some spare crowns and I was all "Eh what the heck i'll buy a few Grizz packs", so I did..

What I would like to know is, in comparison to other Grizzly Beast companions, how good is Atothr and how should I build him? Thanks!

Congratz :)

I have him and personally I dont use him. For a bucaneer he has low armor, he doesnt have a single power. I built mine pure offense because yeah, he cant be a tank.

Merciless is awesome though, but still not enough to make him more useful than others.

Lieutenant
Jul 23, 2013
Wow, good for you!

Train Atohr like any other buck, and at level 65 he should have tough 4, accurate 4, rough 4, and strength 4. Also, give him a minimum of relentless 2 and a minimum of blade storm 1. Keep in mind, this is for level 65 Atohr. As of now, work your way up.

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Oct 2, 2015 wrote:

Atohr is best with accuracy, dodgy, and damage. Though, since he doesn't get to a high amount of dodgy, i'd recommend building him with accuracy. His damage can get to a very decent level, so build on that too. Though, he's not as good as Baar, he's one of the good ones. I hope he fits your style and good luck!

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Most of the Grizzly pack companions are the most over powered companions in the game. Everyone has their own ideal setup for a companion, so I guess it depends on your playstyle and what class companion you got.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Darth JT on Oct 4, 2015 wrote:
Most of the Grizzly pack companions are the most over powered companions in the game. Everyone has their own ideal setup for a companion, so I guess it depends on your playstyle and what class companion you got.
The most op in game? LOL they didn't even get new epics with this update. Baar has 7 epics like any other companion now and all the others have 5. Very low amount

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
Monkrinx2024 on Oct 2, 2015 wrote:
Congratulations on obtaining a bear companion.

This is the more powerful and rearer of the two bear warrior. Based on his size and class, may I recommend to train Atothr a heavy defense malee companion. That's lots of health,armor,rough,strength and if wanted a little agility.
Baar is the superior buccaneer, he gets more epics, and has 2 summons and 3 debuffs.

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
Nice job Owen! I recently got him on my Buccaneer, and he's great with accuracy and strength. Congratulations!

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Masonpeev on Oct 4, 2015 wrote:
The most op in game? LOL they didn't even get new epics with this update. Baar has 7 epics like any other companion now and all the others have 5. Very low amount
For only 1 of the Grizzly Beast companions to be upgraded sounds like a bug, if only 1 gets 7 epics and the others are only getting 5. I do not have any of these companions as I don't have the money to spend to get one, but if you watch some of the PVP matches courtesy of Technomage, you will see just how overpowered these companions truly are.

A companion that gets 2 summons, that can reduce dodge and accuracy and has critical hit cards and 7 epics is still very op, look at poor El Toro whom only has 6 epics and spirit with no critical hit card. Our first companion we get only gets 7 epics and do not get any summons, let alone critical hits and things to make accuracy and dodge reductions. Compared to all the other companions that are free and even the companions from the bundles, the Grizzly Beast companions are far superior in every way.

One grizzly beast companion has eagle eyes 2, which increases the range of all units near him by 2, which is perfect for any musketeer or witchdoctor. Not sure how you don't see the advantages of these companions, but I can tell you this, almost all Champions have grizzly beast companions, I can tell you that.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Darth JT on Oct 5, 2015 wrote:
For only 1 of the Grizzly Beast companions to be upgraded sounds like a bug, if only 1 gets 7 epics and the others are only getting 5. I do not have any of these companions as I don't have the money to spend to get one, but if you watch some of the PVP matches courtesy of Technomage, you will see just how overpowered these companions truly are.

A companion that gets 2 summons, that can reduce dodge and accuracy and has critical hit cards and 7 epics is still very op, look at poor El Toro whom only has 6 epics and spirit with no critical hit card. Our first companion we get only gets 7 epics and do not get any summons, let alone critical hits and things to make accuracy and dodge reductions. Compared to all the other companions that are free and even the companions from the bundles, the Grizzly Beast companions are far superior in every way.

One grizzly beast companion has eagle eyes 2, which increases the range of all units near him by 2, which is perfect for any musketeer or witchdoctor. Not sure how you don't see the advantages of these companions, but I can tell you this, almost all Champions have grizzly beast companions, I can tell you that.
Yes they're quite good, but really the only one overpowered is Baar, and he doesnt have a critical card fyi.

Summons dont really make a difference, they usually die before they can do anything useful.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012

Baar is special and has had that many epics since the beginning. Also, the only beastmaster companions that are really worthwhile are Baar and the Musketeer.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Voodoo Cornelius on Oct 5, 2015 wrote:
Baar is special and has had that many epics since the beginning. Also, the only beastmaster companions that are really worthwhile are Baar and the Musketeer.
Agreed, with the small exception of Laarn (privateer) who is one of the best, if not the best privy companion around.

But yeah he's mostly useful for will based classes.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013

i've fought tech i'm actually one of thew few to beat him in a video(the one where he broke his mic) and the bear USED to be such a big threat that i charged it but now it is average at best, egg shen or even marchioness can beat baar

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Silver Angel on Oct 5, 2015 wrote:
Yes they're quite good, but really the only one overpowered is Baar, and he doesnt have a critical card fyi.

Summons dont really make a difference, they usually die before they can do anything useful.
Don't make a difference or do anything useful? Seriously? They can break hides, they can reduce accuracy and strength, they can even poison... How is none of that useful? like seriously? Are you kidding me?

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Darth JT on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
Don't make a difference or do anything useful? Seriously? They can break hides, they can reduce accuracy and strength, they can even poison... How is none of that useful? like seriously? Are you kidding me?
They die easily and you cant even place them where you want, you're lucky if they can use their powers before dying.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Silver Angel on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
They die easily and you cant even place them where you want, you're lucky if they can use their powers before dying.
In my experience, these are the only decent summons in the game you don't get from gear. In pvp, I find the hawk always gets off his healing spell, and usually can get off the strength one, and panther is meh, but does more damage then just about any other summon.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Voodoo Cornelius on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
In my experience, these are the only decent summons in the game you don't get from gear. In pvp, I find the hawk always gets off his healing spell, and usually can get off the strength one, and panther is meh, but does more damage then just about any other summon.
Eh? Never saw the hawk heal. And I own Baar and use him. Sometimes panther poisons, but it's not very strong.

As you said they're decent, but just like any other summon, die too easily.

And the fact you cant choose where to summon them doesnt help either, they could (and often do) pop up near opponents and they get killed before they even get to act.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Silver Angel on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
Eh? Never saw the hawk heal. And I own Baar and use him. Sometimes panther poisons, but it's not very strong.

And the fact you cant choose where to summon them doesnt help either, they could (and often do) pop up near opponents and they get killed before they even get to act.
A summon doing any damage is better than nothing doing no damage. Damage taken by a summon is better than damage being taken on your pirate or your companions, is this not true? So because you cant pick and chose where to summon like a witch doctor summon makes them useless? If a pet drains a swashbuckler from hide or from using first strike a couple times, does that not help your pirate defeat that swashbuckler without taking as much damage?

What may be useless to you, may not be useless to others, people find strategies in all sorts of ways and see potential where you may not.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012

it's like owl's clutches or something. Its like 300 damge aoe

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Darth JT on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
A summon doing any damage is better than nothing doing no damage. Damage taken by a summon is better than damage being taken on your pirate or your companions, is this not true? So because you cant pick and chose where to summon like a witch doctor summon makes them useless? If a pet drains a swashbuckler from hide or from using first strike a couple times, does that not help your pirate defeat that swashbuckler without taking as much damage?

What may be useless to you, may not be useless to others, people find strategies in all sorts of ways and see potential where you may not.
Yes they can take damage, but what, one or two hits? And they barely do 100 damage, nothing to worry anyone about.

And as I said, when it's summoned near opponents while the rest of the crew is on the other side of the board, that's plain useless, because opponent will just kill it with ease, and not all opponents are swashbucklers.

And anyway, how on earth does a summon drain hide?

No one in their right mind would attack a weak summon while hidden.

@Voodoo: Ah yes I vaguely remember, drains like 10 damage? lol

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Yes they can take damage, but what, one or two hits? And they barely do 100 damage, nothing to worry anyone about.

And as I said, when it's summoned near opponents while the rest of the crew is on the other side of the board, that's plain useless, because opponent will just kill it with ease, and not all opponents are swashbucklers.

Actually, the panther does about 400 damage overall with the bleeding. It rarely summons on the other side of the field for me, but that might just be my good luck. No one in there right mind would attack summon, but that doesn't mean those pesky flankings and repel boarders can be activated. And as for the hawk, it heals about 90 health per enemy hit.

Bosun
May 10, 2010

really? 100 damage or drains 10? what are you level 30 or something, because if you are max level and your companion is max level this is not what you should be seeing.

As for taking hides, some swashbucklers have cheap shot, flanking, or repel boards, all of which can drain a hide when the summon moves around, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Darth JT on Oct 8, 2015 wrote:
really? 100 damage or drains 10? what are you level 30 or something, because if you are max level and your companion is max level this is not what you should be seeing.

As for taking hides, some swashbucklers have cheap shot, flanking, or repel boards, all of which can drain a hide when the summon moves around, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make here.
I might have exagerated numbers, but my point is summons are nearly useless, who is afraid of them?

The only exceptions are scorpions (and only because of banner) and Cottas from Moo robe, which have been nerfed as you probably know. Maybe those new treants too, havent seen them in action yet.

And have you ever done pvp? Nobody trains cheap shot or repel boarder if they plan to use hide.

Even if they did, they arent stupid enough to use hide early and risk to have it taken off easily.