Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A Question For Someone Familiar With The Mechanics

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Hello! Since I don't know much about the exact mechanics in combat, I have a question that's been bothering me a bit;
if one of my companions right next to me uses agility (i.e: Kobe) , and I give my team a strength buff, does that lower Kobe's effectiveness in combat by lowering his chance to proc talents because he has high strength and not high agility? Or does it raise his effectiveness more? And this applies to any companion, really. What I'm asking is if I buff someone up who does not use that slot to boost themselves, am I hindering their ability in combat? Thank you very much and hope you have a fantastic week!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Gold Human

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jun 12, 2015 wrote:
Hello! Since I don't know much about the exact mechanics in combat, I have a question that's been bothering me a bit;
if one of my companions right next to me uses agility (i.e: Kobe) , and I give my team a strength buff, does that lower Kobe's effectiveness in combat by lowering his chance to proc talents because he has high strength and not high agility? Or does it raise his effectiveness more? And this applies to any companion, really. What I'm asking is if I buff someone up who does not use that slot to boost themselves, am I hindering their ability in combat? Thank you very much and hope you have a fantastic week!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Gold Human
As Ratbeard once stated, 'it is always useful to buff your stats, for defense if for no other reason. If I buff Bonnie Anne's Strength, though she cannot use it offensively, it will definitely lower the effectiveness of Str-based enemies that attack her.

There is not a fixed amount of stat that is useful or not, because the calculation is comparative. More is better. With the changes to the stat buffs recently, fortunately you don't have to think too much about it. Your buff will buff all your companions who *do* use that stat to attack, and as a bonus effect, it will also (defensively) buff all adjacent companions, regardless of what stat they use to attack.'

So, buffing companions' non-primary attribute(s) will benefit them in a couple of ways. It will lower the actual damage #s that attacking enemies inflict-- based upon that damage being boosted by the same attribute that you buffed your companions with. So if you buffed Kobe's Strength & he is attacked by a Buccaneer enemy, with damage being dished out affected by the Strength attribute, the buff will slightly lower the amount of damage done to Kobe. Just as buffing Kobe's Agility will affect the damage #s against all enemies, based on the Agility stat. Also, buffing a companion's non-primary attribute will close the gap between other attackers possessing that attribute as their primary (and also using weapon damage boosted by that same attribute). Closing that gap may decrease the % chances of an attacker, using the Kobe-buffed non-primary stat, scoring Critical Hits.

You will not be hurting or hindering their ability in combat, sort of- as it's comparative to how the battle plays out. If you passed on using an Agility buff, by going w/ a Strength or Will buff, you'll have possibly not helped Kobe's own attacking damage & Crit. Hit chances. But you may have also hurt a Bucc, Witch or Privy enemy by decreasing their damage numbers & Crit. Hit chances, by closing the gap in the Strength or Will attribute.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 12, 2015 wrote:
As Ratbeard once stated, 'it is always useful to buff your stats, for defense if for no other reason. If I buff Bonnie Anne's Strength, though she cannot use it offensively, it will definitely lower the effectiveness of Str-based enemies that attack her.

There is not a fixed amount of stat that is useful or not, because the calculation is comparative. More is better. With the changes to the stat buffs recently, fortunately you don't have to think too much about it. Your buff will buff all your companions who *do* use that stat to attack, and as a bonus effect, it will also (defensively) buff all adjacent companions, regardless of what stat they use to attack.'

So, buffing companions' non-primary attribute(s) will benefit them in a couple of ways. It will lower the actual damage #s that attacking enemies inflict-- based upon that damage being boosted by the same attribute that you buffed your companions with. So if you buffed Kobe's Strength & he is attacked by a Buccaneer enemy, with damage being dished out affected by the Strength attribute, the buff will slightly lower the amount of damage done to Kobe. Just as buffing Kobe's Agility will affect the damage #s against all enemies, based on the Agility stat. Also, buffing a companion's non-primary attribute will close the gap between other attackers possessing that attribute as their primary (and also using weapon damage boosted by that same attribute). Closing that gap may decrease the % chances of an attacker, using the Kobe-buffed non-primary stat, scoring Critical Hits.

You will not be hurting or hindering their ability in combat, sort of- as it's comparative to how the battle plays out. If you passed on using an Agility buff, by going w/ a Strength or Will buff, you'll have possibly not helped Kobe's own attacking damage & Crit. Hit chances. But you may have also hurt a Bucc, Witch or Privy enemy by decreasing their damage numbers & Crit. Hit chances, by closing the gap in the Strength or Will attribute.
Thank you very much Valkoor! This is a relief to know that I can keep my companions next to me and use the buffs as soon as possible.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jun 12, 2015 wrote:
Thank you very much Valkoor! This is a relief to know that I can keep my companions next to me and use the buffs as soon as possible.
You're quite welcome Owen!

Yeah, in PvE it can help a lot to occasionally use those non-primary stat buffs while you wait to attack or let the enemy come to you, as you are buffing/shielding/using doubloons to summon minions. I wouldn't go out of my way to move a bunch of non-primary stat buffing powers (in regards to your pirate or battle crew) to the front of your power roster. But if you have some available when your crew is adjacent to your pirate, why not use them & gain some defensive help for your team-- especially if more desirable powers are not available or you are waiting for the right round/moment to use them.

It can sure help, say if you are going to be fighting a lot of Manticores in Aquila & you are planning on going with an Agility based crew (Swash/Musket). To help avoid massive damage done & possible Critical Hits out the wazoo, throw out a Whale's Might or Shark's Fury to close that huge advantage in Strength that the Manticore Buccaneers possess over your heavy-agility crew. You'll probably already possess a huge advantage in the Agility stat, that will help damage numbers & triggering of your own Crit. Hits. So, why not protect your crew from those Buccicores & their Crit. Hit chances.

Same goes for other classes of PvE enemies. If you are struggling against one class of enemy & they are getting oodles of Crit. Hits on your crew, offer up some protection by using a Buff or two, based on the enemy's primary stat, for it's respective class. Facing less Critical Hits & possibly Blade Storms, Double Taps & Mojo Echoes & even further Epic chaining, could really help your chances of obtaining victory & keep some crew members from taking a long nap too!