? for Ratbeard- Is Wood Guardian guarding anything

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Hello Ratbeard and KI team.

I just had a question about the Wood Guardian's drops, actually lack of drops. I have recently been farming the Temple Guardians in Maruzame Castle in hopes of acquiring a few pieces of gear that I have missed throughout my Spiral adventures. I have also farmed each of them for a bit in the past. During these farming attempts I noticed that all of the Guardians drop decent gear- some unique, some No Auction and some just general gear drops. However, in my experiences (some 25-30 battles) the Wood Guardian seems to pretty much only drop gold- I may have gotten a snack or two, but that's about it. All of the other guardians pretty much drop some type of loot (gear) almost every other battle.

Even when checking out the wiki, all of the Guardians have a pretty nice and long listing of drops...except for the Wood Guardian. I think there were 3 or 4 total items (including his/her Totem, Wood Guardian's Blossom) compared to probably some 50 to even 75+ items for the other 4 Guardians. In my 25-30 attempts, with my pirate, my son's pirate and battling together, I don't believe we have ever received an item besides a snack- only gold (except from a Group Chest).

I love gold, what pirate doesn't, but I was just wondering the following.

Is the Wood Guardian possibly missing a loot table or is the Wood Guardian only supposed to drop gold/snacks by design?- excluding the 4 currently listed items.

SIDE NOTE- While contemplating and thoroughly discussing this oddity with my 8 year old son, he offered up this explanation of why the Wood Guardian was not dropping any gear.

"Dad, if you think about it, it kind of makes sense. I know exactly why he doesn't drop any gear....it's because he's a tree and trees and bushes wouldn't be wearing any helmets or armor or boots to drop."

Who can argue with logic such as that?

Thanks in advance for any explanation or reply!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5752
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
Hello Ratbeard and KI team.

I just had a question about the Wood Guardian's drops, actually lack of drops. I have recently been farming the Temple Guardians in Maruzame Castle in hopes of acquiring a few pieces of gear that I have missed throughout my Spiral adventures. I have also farmed each of them for a bit in the past. During these farming attempts I noticed that all of the Guardians drop decent gear- some unique, some No Auction and some just general gear drops. However, in my experiences (some 25-30 battles) the Wood Guardian seems to pretty much only drop gold- I may have gotten a snack or two, but that's about it. All of the other guardians pretty much drop some type of loot (gear) almost every other battle.

Even when checking out the wiki, all of the Guardians have a pretty nice and long listing of drops...except for the Wood Guardian. I think there were 3 or 4 total items (including his/her Totem, Wood Guardian's Blossom) compared to probably some 50 to even 75+ items for the other 4 Guardians. In my 25-30 attempts, with my pirate, my son's pirate and battling together, I don't believe we have ever received an item besides a snack- only gold (except from a Group Chest).

I love gold, what pirate doesn't, but I was just wondering the following.

Is the Wood Guardian possibly missing a loot table or is the Wood Guardian only supposed to drop gold/snacks by design?- excluding the 4 currently listed items.

SIDE NOTE- While contemplating and thoroughly discussing this oddity with my 8 year old son, he offered up this explanation of why the Wood Guardian was not dropping any gear.

"Dad, if you think about it, it kind of makes sense. I know exactly why he doesn't drop any gear....it's because he's a tree and trees and bushes wouldn't be wearing any helmets or armor or boots to drop."

Who can argue with logic such as that?

Thanks in advance for any explanation or reply!
He does drop an item, I forget if it's a totem or something. But it allows you to summon one of those cherryblossom thingies ( sorry I forget what they're called ) MooShu was so long ago.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
anecorbie on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
He does drop an item, I forget if it's a totem or something. But it allows you to summon one of those cherryblossom thingies ( sorry I forget what they're called ) MooShu was so long ago.
Thank you Esperanza, you are absolutely right.

Yep, that Totem is the one that I mentioned in the original post- the Wood Guardian's Blossom. Besides that unique Boss item, there are only 3 other items listed in the wiki, the Water Guardian has well over 75 items and all of the other Guardian's have 50+ listed. I am pretty sure that is not because players just chose not to farm the Wood Guardian, or to only record the drops for the other Temple Guardians. I would surely add Special Branch's drops to the wiki, that is if any would actually drop.

I have surely farmed Twigs enough, I would think (30+ times now), that I would have received some type of gear from NoGood Wood....that is if the Wood Guardian is actually supposed to drop other "normal" gear at all. Maybe it is a Boss that is not supposed to have the other Loot Tables and is only supposed to drop from the gold/snack table.

That's what I was hoping to find out from Ratbeard or any other developer that had the goods on Mean Green (actually, I guess he's not green).

So, KI team- care to shed some light on this....please and thank you!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
801
anecorbie on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
He does drop an item, I forget if it's a totem or something. But it allows you to summon one of those cherryblossom thingies ( sorry I forget what they're called ) MooShu was so long ago.
They're Cherry Blossom Treants. I keep nearly running into them on the Sacred Mountain, so I'm pretty familiar with 'em.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
801
How ironic. We're talking about the Wood Guardian's Blossom, and what do I get from my first-ever fight with him? His totem. Weird, huh?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
MistyDragon13 on Jul 12, 2014 wrote:
How ironic. We're talking about the Wood Guardian's Blossom, and what do I get from my first-ever fight with him? His totem. Weird, huh?
That is pretty weird Misty and SWEEEET- congrats to you on getting the totem, first try! I have also gotten that totem, I think 3 or 4 of them- but that seems to be the only thing I have or can receive from him besides gold and an occasional snack. If you happen to get more than just that totem (say, if you try farming him/her) then I would be happy to hear about it.

That's where my curiosity lies, because I have not received anything besides the Wood Guardian's Blossom, gold and snacks in 25+ farms. Meanwhile in the same amount of farming attempts of most of the other Guardian's has yielded probably some 30+ items per Guardian- including unique to them gear, No Auction gear and normal gear. And even the wiki only lists the Totem and 3 other item drops for the Wood Guardian (which I still not have come across) and the other Guardian's have at least 50+ items listed:
Fire Guardian= 50, Earth Guardian= 70+, Metal Guardian= 115+, Water Guardian= 130+. Just seemed a bit odd to me that all the others would have so many recorded drops and the Earth Guardian so few. Plus, just the fact that in my own personal 25+ farms, I have not seen anything except for the Totem and Snacks & Gold.

What I was hoping to hear from Ratbeard or another developer was if the Wood Guardian happened to be missing a normal loot table, or is he only supposed to drop the unique Totem and not much else by design, or is it just merely coincidence or a Spiral Oddity that he is the only one of the Guardians without a known, long list of drops.

Again, congrats on getting the Wood Guardian's Blossom and on only your first fight. Have fun planting some trees......on the enemy that is!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
801
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 13, 2014 wrote:
That is pretty weird Misty and SWEEEET- congrats to you on getting the totem, first try! I have also gotten that totem, I think 3 or 4 of them- but that seems to be the only thing I have or can receive from him besides gold and an occasional snack. If you happen to get more than just that totem (say, if you try farming him/her) then I would be happy to hear about it.

That's where my curiosity lies, because I have not received anything besides the Wood Guardian's Blossom, gold and snacks in 25+ farms. Meanwhile in the same amount of farming attempts of most of the other Guardian's has yielded probably some 30+ items per Guardian- including unique to them gear, No Auction gear and normal gear. And even the wiki only lists the Totem and 3 other item drops for the Wood Guardian (which I still not have come across) and the other Guardian's have at least 50+ items listed:
Fire Guardian= 50, Earth Guardian= 70+, Metal Guardian= 115+, Water Guardian= 130+. Just seemed a bit odd to me that all the others would have so many recorded drops and the Earth Guardian so few. Plus, just the fact that in my own personal 25+ farms, I have not seen anything except for the Totem and Snacks & Gold.

What I was hoping to hear from Ratbeard or another developer was if the Wood Guardian happened to be missing a normal loot table, or is he only supposed to drop the unique Totem and not much else by design, or is it just merely coincidence or a Spiral Oddity that he is the only one of the Guardians without a known, long list of drops.

Again, congrats on getting the Wood Guardian's Blossom and on only your first fight. Have fun planting some trees......on the enemy that is!
Wow, that's a lot of drops for the other bosses! I guess I'll start farming that Wood Guardian to see if I can't get anything else from it! And maybe I'll try the others again to see if they drop anything worth keeping...