Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

The Scarcity of Humans - Explained!

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 26, 2010
734
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
Everywhere you travel around the Spiral; each world has a dominate species - MooShu ( Bovines & pigs ) Skull Island ( Sharks & Rats ), etc.
But where are all the humans?
Well, I have a speculation to lay down for y'all. There are few humans because we're DELICIOUS!
Remember your quests in Wizard101? How many Monster Bosses threaten to eat you? Even here in Pirate101, there's a tengu who wants to make you into soup! There's even a Cutthroat who wants to have you for dinner ( and NOT as his guest )!
That's why there are so few humans around the Spiral - we're an endangered species!

Esperanza Devereaux ( survivor )
Yarrr I be no creatures' Meal! Only way they'll sink there teeth into me would a good ol' fashion Pirate Tavern Brawl to the Death... well maybe not death lol

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Ensign
May 26, 2011
9
Indigo Ring on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
I ruminated on this very subject a year or so back, and raised the Soylent Green issue. Also, please note the following very skewed ratios:

  • orphan human kids to adult humans: 4000,000 to 1*
  • living humans to human skeletons: I have not idea, but there are a lot more of them than there are of us!

So, someone is killing the humans when they become adults, recycling them (waste not, want not); they may or may not be consuming the fleshy bits left over by the skeletonization process - you make a convincing case that those bits are not going to waste...

-Indigo

*Assuming that the c. 5 million players average 2.4 characters each and that there are c. 30 NPC humans running around.
I think I know why your ratios are so messed up. You're assuming that every pirate outside of your direct storyline is both human and orphaned. Yeah, our pirate avatars are human but the direct storyline revolves around only you. Other pirates aren't involved in it. Pirate101 is an RPG, remember? Also, of course there are more skeletons!!! They have built up over hundreds to thousands of years and many varying situations during generation births! Oh, and its easier to mass produce non-human NPC avatars because we players are human, and therefore are more likely to nitpick at/take offense to/etc. human NPCs than non-human NPCs.

As for the scarcity problem, I highly doubt its JUST cannibalism. I mean, look at our world. Cows still exist, as do fish, deer, birds, etc. 'Sides, the cannabalists usually aren't very smart. They don't eat enough veggies. ;)

~ Virtuous Melody Nightengale
Avernus Daredevil

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
68
wizardf on Dec 31, 2015 wrote:
I was just questing in Wizard101 and I saw something. Chronius says, "They told me all the humans were slain" which shows that there must have been a mass killing of humans somewhere in the spiral! WOAH!
Chronius is from Dragonspyre, which suffered an apocalyptic event in the form of the summoning of the Dragon Titan. (Protip: Don't mess around with Titans) I'm not sure if there were any survivors save the Dean of the Academy, so that would make sense for Chronius to say that.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9742
wizardf on Dec 31, 2015 wrote:
I was just questing in Wizard101 and I saw something. Chronius says, "They told me all the humans were slain" which shows that there must have been a mass killing of humans somewhere in the spiral! WOAH!
"Yar" that, mate!

Ensign
Mar 16, 2012
1
I don't think Humans are as rare as people think they are. Otherwise, if we were THAT rare, other species would be surprised to see us. Yet, they don't seem surprised to see a human at all.

I think there is a healthy population of non-piratical humans we just never see. Vadima is human and she's from Darkmoor. Avery is human and he fought in the Polarian wars. There's also Zeke, and the lady who stitches things.

I think Humans and every other race might have been native to all worlds at one point or another. As far as I can see, there's no specific environmental reason why Chickens would be native to Cool Ranch or cows to Mooshu. So, who's to say that way way wayyyyy back when the spiral was new all species didn't live everywhere? It's just over time, more of certain species settled in specific places and made that their home.

The reason we don't see many humans is, truthfully, we're at a disadvantage. Sharks are, well, sharks. Big teeth, big frame, and a nasty disposition. Rats and mice are natural survivors. Crafty, sneaky, and durable. The Shrimp were nearly driven to extinction themselves.

Monquistans are small, wily, and are (I assume) naturally pretty agile. Chickens are quite prolific in number and Bison are rough and tumble. Cows are large powerful creatures like Bison and Pigs are durable and omnivorous. Dogs, cats, and foxes can live practically anywhere. And birds such as eagles, crows, and vultures, are also natural survivors.

Now, go and anthromorph these creatures and you've got very survivable races. But humans don't have the naturally heightened senses these animal races do. Do the Wereman quest in marlybone and you'll find out first hand.

So, I think the reason we see so few humans in Pirate101 is simply because the ones we see are rough and tumble enough to live semi-safely in a harsh world of Pirates. We see other races more frequently because it is easier for them to live in a piratical world with their natural abilities.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1361
Reddreamer451: "I think I know why your ratios are so messed up. You're assuming that every pirate outside of your direct storyline is both human and orphaned."

Fair enough, let's test the assumption. Raise your hand if you are NOT an orphan human pirate!

-Indigo

P.S. I am actually at this point 19 orphaned human pirate kids...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9742
RikkuTakanashi on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
I don't think Humans are as rare as people think they are. Otherwise, if we were THAT rare, other species would be surprised to see us. Yet, they don't seem surprised to see a human at all.

I think there is a healthy population of non-piratical humans we just never see. Vadima is human and she's from Darkmoor. Avery is human and he fought in the Polarian wars. There's also Zeke, and the lady who stitches things.

I think Humans and every other race might have been native to all worlds at one point or another. As far as I can see, there's no specific environmental reason why Chickens would be native to Cool Ranch or cows to Mooshu. So, who's to say that way way wayyyyy back when the spiral was new all species didn't live everywhere? It's just over time, more of certain species settled in specific places and made that their home.

The reason we don't see many humans is, truthfully, we're at a disadvantage. Sharks are, well, sharks. Big teeth, big frame, and a nasty disposition. Rats and mice are natural survivors. Crafty, sneaky, and durable. The Shrimp were nearly driven to extinction themselves.

Monquistans are small, wily, and are (I assume) naturally pretty agile. Chickens are quite prolific in number and Bison are rough and tumble. Cows are large powerful creatures like Bison and Pigs are durable and omnivorous. Dogs, cats, and foxes can live practically anywhere. And birds such as eagles, crows, and vultures, are also natural survivors.

Now, go and anthromorph these creatures and you've got very survivable races. But humans don't have the naturally heightened senses these animal races do. Do the Wereman quest in marlybone and you'll find out first hand.

So, I think the reason we see so few humans in Pirate101 is simply because the ones we see are rough and tumble enough to live semi-safely in a harsh world of Pirates. We see other races more frequently because it is easier for them to live in a piratical world with their natural abilities.
There are at least a couple of instances where a non-human expresses surprise at seeing our pirates - in Monquista the Librarian Jerome: "A human? In my library? How extraordinary!" and in Valencia Phule says: "A human? No kinsman of mine I'm sure."
I did the Werman quest in Marleybone "dull eyes and a weak nose." It was a laugh every time the Dogs expressed their disgust at a human's appearance then follows it up with "no offense meant."
I'm not criticizing your post and I agree with most of it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9742
RikkuTakanashi on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
I don't think Humans are as rare as people think they are. Otherwise, if we were THAT rare, other species would be surprised to see us. Yet, they don't seem surprised to see a human at all.

I think there is a healthy population of non-piratical humans we just never see. Vadima is human and she's from Darkmoor. Avery is human and he fought in the Polarian wars. There's also Zeke, and the lady who stitches things.

I think Humans and every other race might have been native to all worlds at one point or another. As far as I can see, there's no specific environmental reason why Chickens would be native to Cool Ranch or cows to Mooshu. So, who's to say that way way wayyyyy back when the spiral was new all species didn't live everywhere? It's just over time, more of certain species settled in specific places and made that their home.

The reason we don't see many humans is, truthfully, we're at a disadvantage. Sharks are, well, sharks. Big teeth, big frame, and a nasty disposition. Rats and mice are natural survivors. Crafty, sneaky, and durable. The Shrimp were nearly driven to extinction themselves.

Monquistans are small, wily, and are (I assume) naturally pretty agile. Chickens are quite prolific in number and Bison are rough and tumble. Cows are large powerful creatures like Bison and Pigs are durable and omnivorous. Dogs, cats, and foxes can live practically anywhere. And birds such as eagles, crows, and vultures, are also natural survivors.

Now, go and anthromorph these creatures and you've got very survivable races. But humans don't have the naturally heightened senses these animal races do. Do the Wereman quest in marlybone and you'll find out first hand.

So, I think the reason we see so few humans in Pirate101 is simply because the ones we see are rough and tumble enough to live semi-safely in a harsh world of Pirates. We see other races more frequently because it is easier for them to live in a piratical world with their natural abilities.
BTW, welcome to the message boards!

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
RikkuTakanashi on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
I don't think Humans are as rare as people think they are. Otherwise, if we were THAT rare, other species would be surprised to see us. Yet, they don't seem surprised to see a human at all.

I think there is a healthy population of non-piratical humans we just never see. Vadima is human and she's from Darkmoor. Avery is human and he fought in the Polarian wars. There's also Zeke, and the lady who stitches things.

I think Humans and every other race might have been native to all worlds at one point or another. As far as I can see, there's no specific environmental reason why Chickens would be native to Cool Ranch or cows to Mooshu. So, who's to say that way way wayyyyy back when the spiral was new all species didn't live everywhere? It's just over time, more of certain species settled in specific places and made that their home.

The reason we don't see many humans is, truthfully, we're at a disadvantage. Sharks are, well, sharks. Big teeth, big frame, and a nasty disposition. Rats and mice are natural survivors. Crafty, sneaky, and durable. The Shrimp were nearly driven to extinction themselves.

Monquistans are small, wily, and are (I assume) naturally pretty agile. Chickens are quite prolific in number and Bison are rough and tumble. Cows are large powerful creatures like Bison and Pigs are durable and omnivorous. Dogs, cats, and foxes can live practically anywhere. And birds such as eagles, crows, and vultures, are also natural survivors.

Now, go and anthromorph these creatures and you've got very survivable races. But humans don't have the naturally heightened senses these animal races do. Do the Wereman quest in marlybone and you'll find out first hand.

So, I think the reason we see so few humans in Pirate101 is simply because the ones we see are rough and tumble enough to live semi-safely in a harsh world of Pirates. We see other races more frequently because it is easier for them to live in a piratical world with their natural abilities.
Neat first post welcome to the boards

I don't think anyone can disagree with you there Altough skull island is starting to become a haven for humans i think by being delicious and unnatural survivors we are becoming extinct o don't think we're are just spread thin there is more too it

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
Robobot1747 on Dec 24, 2015 wrote:
It was a war all right, fought not with nuclear warheads but with Titans. The Three Titans ultimately shattered the Firstworld in their battle, and Grandmother Raven and Bartleby wove the remains into a Spiral of worlds.
Ok I sort of get the titan thing but what first world. Unless pirate101 takes place after wizard101 has had something happen to it. You know what happens when people hit economic hard times. They become desperate and the vast number of pirates in the game proves that something besides kane happened in the recent past (because kane is a problem because he wants to kill pirates). And in cool ranch there is a dog who at first calls you a wizard but then corrects his mistake and calls you a pirate and says something about old habbits. And less people know maguc only one class knows it instead of all of them like in wizard101. And witch doctors (npc's) are usually written off as creepy and edgy folk. So what happened then?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9742
Pirate101 fan on Jan 9, 2016 wrote:
Ok I sort of get the titan thing but what first world. Unless pirate101 takes place after wizard101 has had something happen to it. You know what happens when people hit economic hard times. They become desperate and the vast number of pirates in the game proves that something besides kane happened in the recent past (because kane is a problem because he wants to kill pirates). And in cool ranch there is a dog who at first calls you a wizard but then corrects his mistake and calls you a pirate and says something about old habbits. And less people know maguc only one class knows it instead of all of them like in wizard101. And witch doctors (npc's) are usually written off as creepy and edgy folk. So what happened then?
Witchdoctors ( or Shamans ) has more to do with the culture of that world than knowing or not knowing "classical" magic.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
68
Pirate101 fan on Jan 9, 2016 wrote:
Ok I sort of get the titan thing but what first world. Unless pirate101 takes place after wizard101 has had something happen to it. You know what happens when people hit economic hard times. They become desperate and the vast number of pirates in the game proves that something besides kane happened in the recent past (because kane is a problem because he wants to kill pirates). And in cool ranch there is a dog who at first calls you a wizard but then corrects his mistake and calls you a pirate and says something about old habbits. And less people know maguc only one class knows it instead of all of them like in wizard101. And witch doctors (npc's) are usually written off as creepy and edgy folk. So what happened then?
The universe we know wasn't always a Spiral. There was once a single world before it, until it was shattered by the Titan War. Pirate and Wizard are on similar timelines (we're in MooShu at about the same time, and Pirate Marleybone happens sometime after Celestia). There's no desperation driving piracy, piracy is simply a career choice for many people. Since we're not interacting with many wizards, but rather people who prefer weapons, it makes sense less people will know magic. (If you're talking about how everything and its dog knows magic, I don't think there's a canonical reason for that, it's just how the combat system works)

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
Robobot1747 on Jan 10, 2016 wrote:
The universe we know wasn't always a Spiral. There was once a single world before it, until it was shattered by the Titan War. Pirate and Wizard are on similar timelines (we're in MooShu at about the same time, and Pirate Marleybone happens sometime after Celestia). There's no desperation driving piracy, piracy is simply a career choice for many people. Since we're not interacting with many wizards, but rather people who prefer weapons, it makes sense less people will know magic. (If you're talking about how everything and its dog knows magic, I don't think there's a canonical reason for that, it's just how the combat system works)
Still what first world. Earth? Hyrule? Eutopia? The mushroom kingdom? And if what you say is true than why exactly are there so many pirates in such a small space. Granted there aren't alot of pirates outside of skull island and many pirates are more in gangs than rogue pirate crews. But I like nuclear war better. And I also like to imagine what would happen if a pirate some how dug up a mini gun or a dud nuke.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9742
A RARE sighting in Bestia Just before entering the Circus Maximus you can see a HUMAN mother and daughter playing with their pet Living, adult humans exist

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9742
Pirate101 fan on Jan 18, 2016 wrote:
Still what first world. Earth? Hyrule? Eutopia? The mushroom kingdom? And if what you say is true than why exactly are there so many pirates in such a small space. Granted there aren't alot of pirates outside of skull island and many pirates are more in gangs than rogue pirate crews. But I like nuclear war better. And I also like to imagine what would happen if a pirate some how dug up a mini gun or a dud nuke.
In Celestia, there are a lot of Pirate zombies, I thought my wizard had accidently wandered into Shady Hollow ( except we were under water ).

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
242
The Grin Reaper on Dec 19, 2015 wrote:
Humans appear to be the dominant species in wizard city. Maybe we just don't go out much.

Seriously, you can't swing a firecat in wizard city without hitting a human.

The Grin Reaper
Mayhaps Wizard City is the only true safe haven for humans? Skull Island is decent, but it's still crawling with deadly rats and cutthroats who would give anything to have you for lunch (seriously, do those wharf rats even eat? I'm kind of concerned for them, I hope they're not malnourished) and it has a favor fee to get in. You help Avery, Avery helps you. Merle on the other hand is a kind wizard who is too charitable and altruistic to make you do anything. Instead, he asks for your help in defeating Wizard101's equivalent to Vlad the Impaler.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
950
anecorbie on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
There are at least a couple of instances where a non-human expresses surprise at seeing our pirates - in Monquista the Librarian Jerome: "A human? In my library? How extraordinary!" and in Valencia Phule says: "A human? No kinsman of mine I'm sure."
I did the Werman quest in Marleybone "dull eyes and a weak nose." It was a laugh every time the Dogs expressed their disgust at a human's appearance then follows it up with "no offense meant."
I'm not criticizing your post and I agree with most of it.
I always thought that these were more instances of the NPC being surprised at seeing humans in those specific locations. Monquista has a travel ban in place, when our pirates try to dock at the the main city, they discover that they aren't allowed into the city, and must instead sneak in through the sewers. I don't think that Librarian Jerome is surprised at seeing a human, but is surprised at seeing a human inside his library, which should be off limits to humans.

Again, in Valencia, I don't think Phule is surprised to see a human, but is shocked to find that a human pirate has made it through Avernus, as well as fighting (or sneaking) their way through Armada occupied territory. I would be rather surprised if I was Phule in that instance. I think, that Phule's statement of "No kinsman of mine I'm sure" is perhaps a suggesting that the clockwork elites may think of themselves as humans. Or he is at least pointing out that our pirate is not a clockwork and therefore should not have been able to access the Marco Pollo's tomb when it is deep inside Armada held territory.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
114
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Feb 6, 2016 wrote:
Mayhaps Wizard City is the only true safe haven for humans? Skull Island is decent, but it's still crawling with deadly rats and cutthroats who would give anything to have you for lunch (seriously, do those wharf rats even eat? I'm kind of concerned for them, I hope they're not malnourished) and it has a favor fee to get in. You help Avery, Avery helps you. Merle on the other hand is a kind wizard who is too charitable and altruistic to make you do anything. Instead, he asks for your help in defeating Wizard101's equivalent to Vlad the Impaler.
Every species has a home world. What I'm suggesting is that maybe Wizard City is the humans home world.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that just about every skeleton in both wizard and pirate101, are human? Heck, even the skeletons you face in Aquila, which you'd think would be eagle or snake skeletons, are human. Perhaps there was some kind of spiral wide mass extinction, or something like that.

The Grin Reaper

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
950
The Grin Reaper on Feb 7, 2016 wrote:
Every species has a home world. What I'm suggesting is that maybe Wizard City is the humans home world.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that just about every skeleton in both wizard and pirate101, are human? Heck, even the skeletons you face in Aquila, which you'd think would be eagle or snake skeletons, are human. Perhaps there was some kind of spiral wide mass extinction, or something like that.

The Grin Reaper
I could see that Wizard City is the human home world, but I'd like to think not. I'd rather say that the human home world is located elsewhere somewhere on the very edge of the spiral. We just haven't found it, or have had a reason to travel there yet.

As for the skeletons, maybe those humanoid skeletons are not actually the skeletons of dead humans. Perhaps, those skeletons are yet another species, simply summoned from there home world. Like how the myth wizards seem to summon creatures from Aquila for their spells.

Side note, I wonder how those Aquilian Trolls and whatnot feel about being suddenly ripped from their home world and tossed into whatever battle the myth wizard is currently fighting?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9742
CdeWinter on Feb 6, 2016 wrote:
I always thought that these were more instances of the NPC being surprised at seeing humans in those specific locations. Monquista has a travel ban in place, when our pirates try to dock at the the main city, they discover that they aren't allowed into the city, and must instead sneak in through the sewers. I don't think that Librarian Jerome is surprised at seeing a human, but is surprised at seeing a human inside his library, which should be off limits to humans.

Again, in Valencia, I don't think Phule is surprised to see a human, but is shocked to find that a human pirate has made it through Avernus, as well as fighting (or sneaking) their way through Armada occupied territory. I would be rather surprised if I was Phule in that instance. I think, that Phule's statement of "No kinsman of mine I'm sure" is perhaps a suggesting that the clockwork elites may think of themselves as humans. Or he is at least pointing out that our pirate is not a clockwork and therefore should not have been able to access the Marco Pollo's tomb when it is deep inside Armada held territory.
Axwar: "A little Human! It has been ages since I tasted one of your kind. Come, let me make a meal of you!"
Yet more proof ( if any more was necessary ) of monsters eating us and expressing surprise at seeing one "of our kind".
I ain't no meal for a monster!

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
CdeWinter on Feb 6, 2016 wrote:
I always thought that these were more instances of the NPC being surprised at seeing humans in those specific locations. Monquista has a travel ban in place, when our pirates try to dock at the the main city, they discover that they aren't allowed into the city, and must instead sneak in through the sewers. I don't think that Librarian Jerome is surprised at seeing a human, but is surprised at seeing a human inside his library, which should be off limits to humans.

Again, in Valencia, I don't think Phule is surprised to see a human, but is shocked to find that a human pirate has made it through Avernus, as well as fighting (or sneaking) their way through Armada occupied territory. I would be rather surprised if I was Phule in that instance. I think, that Phule's statement of "No kinsman of mine I'm sure" is perhaps a suggesting that the clockwork elites may think of themselves as humans. Or he is at least pointing out that our pirate is not a clockwork and therefore should not have been able to access the Marco Pollo's tomb when it is deep inside Armada held territory.
Really great point, maybe in the next update seeing the released concept art from falmea in game, our companions will react being schocked to see a human, otherwise as of now in the pirate timeline it's all just expressions of being shocked at how we have ended up where we are not who we are

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
The Grin Reaper on Feb 7, 2016 wrote:
Every species has a home world. What I'm suggesting is that maybe Wizard City is the humans home world.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that just about every skeleton in both wizard and pirate101, are human? Heck, even the skeletons you face in Aquila, which you'd think would be eagle or snake skeletons, are human. Perhaps there was some kind of spiral wide mass extinction, or something like that.

The Grin Reaper
Actually there are alot of other creatures' skeletons as well like the monkeys in Diablo cut and the flying snake skeletons in the haunted skyway. But indeed most of them are humans. So maybe humans were once the dominant force or species of the spiral. But I wonder exactly how many more skeletons are still falling down the infinite abyss after being sunk in the sky. I think a war of some kind ( the polarian war perhaps) made the humans numbers reduce so much. Also the aztecozaurs at the beginning note your kinds capacity for destruction so maybe we did something that made someone or everyone hate us and try to kill us all so we would no longer be a threat or something. BTW the sharks want to eat you not because we are tasty but because they are sharks.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9742
Pirate101 fan on Feb 19, 2016 wrote:
Actually there are alot of other creatures' skeletons as well like the monkeys in Diablo cut and the flying snake skeletons in the haunted skyway. But indeed most of them are humans. So maybe humans were once the dominant force or species of the spiral. But I wonder exactly how many more skeletons are still falling down the infinite abyss after being sunk in the sky. I think a war of some kind ( the polarian war perhaps) made the humans numbers reduce so much. Also the aztecozaurs at the beginning note your kinds capacity for destruction so maybe we did something that made someone or everyone hate us and try to kill us all so we would no longer be a threat or something. BTW the sharks want to eat you not because we are tasty but because they are sharks.
So Sharks don't care what we taste like? Come on, life's too short to eat something bland - naturally, you'll go for the good stuff.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
anecorbie on Feb 19, 2016 wrote:
So Sharks don't care what we taste like? Come on, life's too short to eat something bland - naturally, you'll go for the good stuff.
I meant not specifically that we taste good but because they are sharks and sharks will eat anything edible good or not if they are hungry enough. BTW I'm not inferring that we taste bad or anything.

Lieutenant
Sep 14, 2015
162
So that's why their are so many undead zombies and skeletons (poor Dead Mike)