Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

The Future of Pirate101?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
263
Lookit Light on Apr 11, 2019 wrote:
Bat Masterson? Blind Mew? Anyone there to give us an inkling of something?
Don't have clearance to say anything, even then what are they gonna say, there's easily nothing in development, or planned.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1163
Lookit Light on Apr 8, 2019 wrote:
I notice that Bat Masterson still hasn't said anything, so I will.

The thought that they'll shut down the game? My answer: never! They would never shut down the game, because they actually care! You notice how Kingsisle feature Pirate first on the community livestream and Ki Live? This is an upward trend! Something is happening! Your brains are just envisioning the worst possible outcome, and then convincing you that it will happen. Something is going to happen this year, I just know it!
Sure, lots of things are going to happen this year. I'm just not holding my breath that they'll happen in Pirate, to be honest.

I see Wizard has the test realm up again. We don't even get a minor QoL update. At this point Indigo doesn't even load up his pirates to visit his wishing well for a shot at scrip. I expect I only do it out of habit. I'm not motivated to do the boring slog through Cool Ranch to get to the better worlds beyond it with my baby pirates; they'll probably be stuck in Monquista forever because what's the point? Everyone is going to come to a screeching halt in Valencia part 2 anyway.

Since we lost One Eyed Jack I feel like no one is even bothering to check on the message boards and acknowledge that we exist, that we pay money to play a game we love, that we'd be pathetically grateful for even a tenth of the attention they lavish on Wizard.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
2037
anecorbie on Apr 8, 2019 wrote:
Only if they give us new content with the subsequent level raises and companions. I'm NOT interested in re-playing a story line without extra experience or companions.

As to Blind Mew asking for our help in getting more players - I've done that by word of mouth,but,excuse me, that's not my job! It's up to KingsIsle to gain more players by advertising or providing timely updates.
Of course. We've only been given one new companion in Valencia II's launch, Contessa Argento. There's been no quests that award more new companions since. Disappointing.

Don't forget churning out new bundles. It's been years since P101's had a new bundle. W101's been doing new bundles, but P101 doesn't. KI's marketing minds should have new P101 bundles up, but they're still too focused on new W101 bundles to even make one. We've only had 4 bundles, the still latest being the Hoodoo Bundle. Very disappointing.

I feel we're still in the dark sometimes.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9783
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Apr 11, 2019 wrote:
Sure, lots of things are going to happen this year. I'm just not holding my breath that they'll happen in Pirate, to be honest.

I see Wizard has the test realm up again. We don't even get a minor QoL update. At this point Indigo doesn't even load up his pirates to visit his wishing well for a shot at scrip. I expect I only do it out of habit. I'm not motivated to do the boring slog through Cool Ranch to get to the better worlds beyond it with my baby pirates; they'll probably be stuck in Monquista forever because what's the point? Everyone is going to come to a screeching halt in Valencia part 2 anyway.

Since we lost One Eyed Jack I feel like no one is even bothering to check on the message boards and acknowledge that we exist, that we pay money to play a game we love, that we'd be pathetically grateful for even a tenth of the attention they lavish on Wizard.
Well, that test realm is only for the up grade to the graphics of the game ( & a seventh wizard! ) & a new activity - it's not a story update.
And they haven't had a new bundle or pack for 3 months now, so maybe things will calm down enough for us to get our shot at some goodies.
I am hoping for Summer ( or maybe a Fall ) test realm, either story or QoL that brings side content to give us a reason to log on and play. Because, what's the point of buying a game card or membership if we're not getting what we pay for?
Is anyone at KI ( besides the moderators ) actually reading this post? Do they even realize that they may lose the hard core players of this game if they keep up this silence?

Captain
Feb 12, 2015
688
I came across someone earlier today. He expressed many of the ideas people here did, with one crucial difference... he called KingsIsle trash. Not cool.

Sadly, I can only expect more and more people to become like this if time goes by. Something needs to happen, and it needs to happen now. Our patience can only keep going for so long.

I know something is being done. I know it's happening. We just need to know when. It could even be "In the summer or fall" but if they simply put a date on it, our patience will return a hundredfold!

Can we know when? Please?

Ensign
Jan 11, 2013
4
Alex the Pirate here. I'm just using this account since my wiz character is the only one who has membership. Anyway, Bat replied to a previous post saying that he heard us "loud and clear." He has also been very open on the wiz forums about future updates. Because of his previous behavior, my guess is that he either 1) has nothing to say, or 2) has been given specific instructions to just let this thread run. Moderators are *definitely* reading these posts, it may just be that KI is not allowed to respond.

KI is definitely working on Pirate; they just might not be able to tell us *what* they are working on at this current time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9783
AlextheWizard53 on Apr 14, 2019 wrote:
Alex the Pirate here. I'm just using this account since my wiz character is the only one who has membership. Anyway, Bat replied to a previous post saying that he heard us "loud and clear." He has also been very open on the wiz forums about future updates. Because of his previous behavior, my guess is that he either 1) has nothing to say, or 2) has been given specific instructions to just let this thread run. Moderators are *definitely* reading these posts, it may just be that KI is not allowed to respond.

KI is definitely working on Pirate; they just might not be able to tell us *what* they are working on at this current time.
Yes, Bat is very open and supportive on the W101 message boards. He is not so forthcoming here. Sometimes posts directly addressed to him don't receive a reply for days ( & not necessarily posts concerning updates ).
IMO, everything in W101 gets answered while we're stuck in the dark.
If they're "definitely" ( which you can't say as you don't know for certain ) working on P101, what's the problem of giving us a hint or two, as they do for Wizards?

Captain
Feb 12, 2015
688
AlextheWizard53 on Apr 14, 2019 wrote:
Alex the Pirate here. I'm just using this account since my wiz character is the only one who has membership. Anyway, Bat replied to a previous post saying that he heard us "loud and clear." He has also been very open on the wiz forums about future updates. Because of his previous behavior, my guess is that he either 1) has nothing to say, or 2) has been given specific instructions to just let this thread run. Moderators are *definitely* reading these posts, it may just be that KI is not allowed to respond.

KI is definitely working on Pirate; they just might not be able to tell us *what* they are working on at this current time.
That's... quite reassuring! Let's just all be patient, OK?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1895
AlextheWizard53 on Apr 14, 2019 wrote:
Alex the Pirate here. I'm just using this account since my wiz character is the only one who has membership. Anyway, Bat replied to a previous post saying that he heard us "loud and clear." He has also been very open on the wiz forums about future updates. Because of his previous behavior, my guess is that he either 1) has nothing to say, or 2) has been given specific instructions to just let this thread run. Moderators are *definitely* reading these posts, it may just be that KI is not allowed to respond.

KI is definitely working on Pirate; they just might not be able to tell us *what* they are working on at this current time.
At this point, it's "que sera, sera" -- what will be, will be.

All we have to go on is Falmea's December comment that Pirate101 will turn seven this year. In itself, that will be a huge longshot that no one would bet on a few years ago.

Silence can speak volumes, but almost never is it a positive message.


Developer
Willowydream on Apr 15, 2019 wrote:
At this point, it's "que sera, sera" -- what will be, will be.

All we have to go on is Falmea's December comment that Pirate101 will turn seven this year. In itself, that will be a huge longshot that no one would bet on a few years ago.

Silence can speak volumes, but almost never is it a positive message.

<sniffs around>

<inspects the hull>

<tests the ship's wheel>

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9783
anecorbie on Apr 12, 2019 wrote:
Well, that test realm is only for the up grade to the graphics of the game ( & a seventh wizard! ) & a new activity - it's not a story update.
And they haven't had a new bundle or pack for 3 months now, so maybe things will calm down enough for us to get our shot at some goodies.
I am hoping for Summer ( or maybe a Fall ) test realm, either story or QoL that brings side content to give us a reason to log on and play. Because, what's the point of buying a game card or membership if we're not getting what we pay for?
Is anyone at KI ( besides the moderators ) actually reading this post? Do they even realize that they may lose the hard core players of this game if they keep up this silence?
Hey, guys and gals, take a look at who "yarred' my April 12th post! This to me is a hopeful sign!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1895
anecorbie on Apr 15, 2019 wrote:
Hey, guys and gals, take a look at who "yarred' my April 12th post! This to me is a hopeful sign!
I'll see your "Yar" and raise you a REPLY!


Captain
Feb 12, 2015
688
Ratbeard on Apr 15, 2019 wrote:
<sniffs around>

<inspects the hull>

<tests the ship's wheel>
Decoding hidden message... 1,2,3, ERROR! Cannot decode!

Anyway, good to see you here! Something's coming, I just know it! Everyone stay! It's a good sign! A GOOD SIGN!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
2037
anecorbie on Apr 15, 2019 wrote:
Hey, guys and gals, take a look at who "yarred' my April 12th post! This to me is a hopeful sign!
I've already placed me gold on who did...

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
132
Captain
Feb 12, 2015
688
Ratbeard on Apr 15, 2019 wrote:
<sniffs around>

<inspects the hull>

<tests the ship's wheel>
Decoding attempt 2... Successful!

Sniffs around: seeing what is wrong and what we have to say on it.

Inspects the hull: Seeing what can be done, how.

Tests the ships wheel: setting course to reward us for our patience! YARRR!

Developer
In Search of Yum on Apr 16, 2019 wrote:
Dare we begin to HOPE?
It would not be appropriate for me to comment on "The Future of Pirate 101"-- that is Falmea's responsibility.

But I can say that my job is-- once again-- Design Lead on Pirate 101. (And Wizard 101, for that matter, since they're both under the MMO umbrella.)

Now, I don't know who's sitting around thinking, "You know what this game needs? More Ratbeard, that's what!"

But if you are in that camp... Ta da!

Captain
Feb 12, 2015
688
I was told something yesterday... How much Kingsisle really cares about keeping this game going.

As it stands, Pirate101 does not make enough revenue to keep itself running, while Wizard101 has some left over. They wouldn't push their luck with one big update for Pirate because, if it fails, both games would collapse. So they use that extra revenue from Wizard to keep Pirate running, even if Pirate's update statue is in limbo. What's still left is, I believe, slowly being stored up to give Pirate that push it needs to become fully self-sustainable. And from what Ratbeard's saying, could they finally have enough? It makes me teary thinking just how much they want to hold on to this. KI LOVES this game!

Lesson learned? We've had hope all along, there doesn't need to be arguing, they've already heard us! We just need to be patient for however long it takes.

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
145
anecorbie on Apr 15, 2019 wrote:
Hey, guys and gals, take a look at who "yarred' my April 12th post! This to me is a hopeful sign!
It's so nice to see familiar faces like Ratbeard around again. It's things like this that make me realise that maybe hope isn't so lost after all. Maybe.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9783
Lookit Light on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:
I was told something yesterday... How much Kingsisle really cares about keeping this game going.

As it stands, Pirate101 does not make enough revenue to keep itself running, while Wizard101 has some left over. They wouldn't push their luck with one big update for Pirate because, if it fails, both games would collapse. So they use that extra revenue from Wizard to keep Pirate running, even if Pirate's update statue is in limbo. What's still left is, I believe, slowly being stored up to give Pirate that push it needs to become fully self-sustainable. And from what Ratbeard's saying, could they finally have enough? It makes me teary thinking just how much they want to hold on to this. KI LOVES this game!

Lesson learned? We've had hope all along, there doesn't need to be arguing, they've already heard us! We just need to be patient for however long it takes.
In the first 2 years of Pirate101, we had a surge in players; enough so that the player population of both games made a grand total of 50 million players for KingsIsle games.
What happened?
There were lay-offs and the separate teams got merged. This severely delayed a story-line update ( although during that hiatus we got QoL updates and gauntlets that were a great help to the game ), because of this hiatus, we lost many players; KI branched out into APP games and we lost further ground.
Then came the unsatisfying VA2 update and yet another hiatus, with W101 receiving 99% of KI attention - this is why KI has lost players to this game, this is why we are on life support.
WE, as players, are not to blame for this situation, we can sit here complaining or walk away in which case P101 will sink further and be lost.
KI doesn't love this game, but if they want revenue from us, they had better show some love.
Cutesy hints aside, is there ANY reason to stay? ARE we getting that story update or, at the very least, that side content we've been waiting 6 years for?
How about, as in the spirit of W101, we get a #Hint?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
2037
Ratbeard on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:
It would not be appropriate for me to comment on "The Future of Pirate 101"-- that is Falmea's responsibility.

But I can say that my job is-- once again-- Design Lead on Pirate 101. (And Wizard 101, for that matter, since they're both under the MMO umbrella.)

Now, I don't know who's sitting around thinking, "You know what this game needs? More Ratbeard, that's what!"

But if you are in that camp... Ta da!
Well, I'm sure she'll take her time to comment when she does.

Glad to know that. I'll be looking forward to what you have in store for P101's changes.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
132
Ratbeard on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:
It would not be appropriate for me to comment on "The Future of Pirate 101"-- that is Falmea's responsibility.

But I can say that my job is-- once again-- Design Lead on Pirate 101. (And Wizard 101, for that matter, since they're both under the MMO umbrella.)

Now, I don't know who's sitting around thinking, "You know what this game needs? More Ratbeard, that's what!"

But if you are in that camp... Ta da!
Be Still My quivering heart! It's Rabeard

Let's cut through the blarney and lets get straight to the point...where is the yum and when are we getting more?

(yum has many definitions, in this case it would be story update that would appease our parched minds)

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
950
Lookit Light on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:
I was told something yesterday... How much Kingsisle really cares about keeping this game going.

As it stands, Pirate101 does not make enough revenue to keep itself running, while Wizard101 has some left over. They wouldn't push their luck with one big update for Pirate because, if it fails, both games would collapse. So they use that extra revenue from Wizard to keep Pirate running, even if Pirate's update statue is in limbo. What's still left is, I believe, slowly being stored up to give Pirate that push it needs to become fully self-sustainable. And from what Ratbeard's saying, could they finally have enough? It makes me teary thinking just how much they want to hold on to this. KI LOVES this game!

Lesson learned? We've had hope all along, there doesn't need to be arguing, they've already heard us! We just need to be patient for however long it takes.
(realized that I can still post, but still not going to give KI a cent until I see actual proof that KI's treatment of this game has changed)

That seems to make sense on the surface.
But there's still a problem. A lack of any meaningful update for Pirate101 means that more and more players lose patience. That means more cancelled subscriptions, less people buying things with crowns. The longer this game stays stagnate, the greater loss in revenue KI will have with Pirate101.

KI doesn't need a large, massive update to change this game. All they need, are more frequent, smaller updates, side content that will keep players busy, like crafting, gardening, fishing, more houses for decorating.

You don't create revenue, but pushing out infrequent large updates, you generate revenue, by giving people a reason to continue paying money for something. That's, frequently done through side content, (or in many other games, the dreaded loot boxes)

KI has been saying for a while that they lack the resources to update Pirate101. Resources can refer to money, time, bandwidth, and people. The lack of resources, is probably because they're using all available resources for Wiz.

In my field of work, we also are tasked with producing many projects, with very limited resources. (We're military, so very limited resources at time). When that happens, the trick is to not focus all resources on a single project, but to spread what resources you have equally onto all projects.

Yes, this does affect the projects. Work moves slower on all projects. But all the projects get completed. All this requires is the willingness to assess, and retask resources. It doesn't have to be done perfectly equally, in terms of MMO's KI only has Wiz and Pirates. They only need to retask enough resources to produce some QOL updates, or some long lasting side content such as crafting, or gardening, or fishing.

It would be nice to see a story update for Pirates soon, we all want that. But if that's not currently possible, then KI should at least be working on getting some smaller QOL and side content updates produced, which would give players a reason to keep spending money on this company, and game.

Ensign
Feb 13, 2013
2
I am a huge fan of Pirate101, in fact, I like it more than Wizard101 in my opinion. From the combat, to the companions and having ships. It is sad to see that the KingsIsle developers don't care about Pirate101 as much as Wizard101. The game already has so much potential, and so much detail. It has been YEARS since we have had a new world, and wizard has had several new ones. I hope the KingsIsle developers see what Pirate101 can be, and update it and care about it as much a Wizard101.

Captain
Feb 12, 2015
688
CdeWinter on Apr 20, 2019 wrote:
(realized that I can still post, but still not going to give KI a cent until I see actual proof that KI's treatment of this game has changed)

That seems to make sense on the surface.
But there's still a problem. A lack of any meaningful update for Pirate101 means that more and more players lose patience. That means more cancelled subscriptions, less people buying things with crowns. The longer this game stays stagnate, the greater loss in revenue KI will have with Pirate101.

KI doesn't need a large, massive update to change this game. All they need, are more frequent, smaller updates, side content that will keep players busy, like crafting, gardening, fishing, more houses for decorating.

You don't create revenue, but pushing out infrequent large updates, you generate revenue, by giving people a reason to continue paying money for something. That's, frequently done through side content, (or in many other games, the dreaded loot boxes)

KI has been saying for a while that they lack the resources to update Pirate101. Resources can refer to money, time, bandwidth, and people. The lack of resources, is probably because they're using all available resources for Wiz.

In my field of work, we also are tasked with producing many projects, with very limited resources. (We're military, so very limited resources at time). When that happens, the trick is to not focus all resources on a single project, but to spread what resources you have equally onto all projects.

Yes, this does affect the projects. Work moves slower on all projects. But all the projects get completed. All this requires is the willingness to assess, and retask resources. It doesn't have to be done perfectly equally, in terms of MMO's KI only has Wiz and Pirates. They only need to retask enough resources to produce some QOL updates, or some long lasting side content such as crafting, or gardening, or fishing.

It would be nice to see a story update for Pirates soon, we all want that. But if that's not currently possible, then KI should at least be working on getting some smaller QOL and side content updates produced, which would give players a reason to keep spending money on this company, and game.
Oh dear, I think I kicked a bee's nest here. The fact that we're still here speaks volumes. I'm just going to ignore this bee's nest and WAIT, okay?