Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

So, about Book 15... (SPOILERS)

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
I really, really wish you had been allowed to stretch our pirate's adventures as you had wished, rather than squishing them into one small package. But we'll settle for simple continuance of the game. And now a question.

If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be?

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
This is amazing blind mew is back, welcome back.

Book 15 took my breath away, after a long wait 15 months as a , and 4 months as a .As a just started Aquila and a long way as a , the girl and the boy . It just amazing to explore a beautiful place, it's unfortunate I have to sail the skyway in Florenza to get the yum fruits or go all the way back to skull island.At least there is a life fountain and a mini game in the tavern to refill the blue yum bottles. Other than that it was an amazing adventure ( and some funny dialogs ).

I wonder if queen drop her dress as a gear, that would be nice on my female pirate character(s) or Kane's sword,as a blade weapon that would be a nice addition.
Thanks for the main storyline update.

Ensign
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply to my questions! As for Shangri-La being El Dorado, Cai Tzu says,
"His Map contains a secret: symbols revealing the path to Shangri-La, City of the Immortals. Pollo called it El Dorado."
Earlier in Mooshu, Master Li Hark says
"... and pilot Stupendor-X, wondrous vessel of the Titans forged in Shangri-La, to victory!"
If all Kane wants is a perfect body, it seems it would be much easier for Kane to find Stupendor-X in Mooshu than it would be to travel all the way to El Dorado. Or perhaps us Pirates will in the furture control Stupendor-X once again to take down Kane's new body (assuming he gets one)? Controlling Stupendor-X was perhaps my favorite battle, and I would love to see the vessel resurface in future content.
Anyways, more questions...
  • Is it assumed that the Machine will eventually self-destruct?
  • Is it the plan to keep the Armada as the main villain (or at least a major one)?
  • How long does it typically take to write a Book (assuming resources are avaliable etc.)?

Ensign
Jun 29, 2009
Book 15 had some very interesting places to visit, and it was very polished, however what I consider is bringing conflict between the active players was the high amount of contradiction and disorientation Book 15 took.
Why do I say this? Let's take a look:

1. In Gortez's Dungeon our parents speak in dire tone to us to visit El Dorado to find their graves.
However when we defeat Kane in the chess board battle, our parents say "Not" to go to El Dorado because it's death and nothing is important. There is a major contradiction here which can lead to theories such as, did Kane Alter the Crystals? Were the crystals corrupted? But that theory dies when Old Scratch says "it's true" which removes this sense of mystery.

2. When in Marleybone, Bishop was dedicated a puppet sow where he is shown trying to crack the big circle gold plates which were found (If I remember) in the isle of doom. Now, what happened to that information? Why does he say he didn't understand why the toy maker sent so many "birds" when Kane was aware Gazpaccio was making them?

3. What happens to our map section in our books? Are the most valuable pieces of a map that "any pirate" would kill for worth absolutely nothing after we spent 14 books searching for them? Was the quest done for nothing?

4. SPOILER: When we find Cagliostro and are forced to face Typhon where contessa says "They say he is as mighty as Rooke was" we were faced with a normal clockwork with normal abilities, and once defeating this commander there is no reaction from part of the armada, which leads to the question, is Kane really aware or cares we are in Valencia again?
and lastly
5 If Kane is the Smarter, faster and stronger than any living being, why does king Cassimir have so much control over him? We spent an entire dungeon where people could go face to face to him and dance and jump around him, my question is; how does this create fear in Kane? Why is he so quiet and reserved vs a king when he is a LEADER?
Thank you,Justin

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
I've been waiting for this for years! Well considering arc 1 is done and that's that, I have a kind of overall question about arc 2. What I personally loved about Marleybone was the dark theme of it with the war and all and it was the most extravagantly done world in all departments. From what you have of arc 2 so far, do you have a dark plot like the war or maybe the next Villain's plan is even more sinister and dark than Kane's was? As seen with Azteca, sometimes a villainous victory makes the best story.

Ensign
Jun 02, 2013
I'm not sure how many people would want it, but a Moo Manchu arc would be interesting. I mean, he's actually pretty smart and caculating and stuff. I always found him interesting sense he was a pretty good villain. Sadly though, he's a side quest villain, so I don't know how he'd be worked into a main arc.

Also, afterwards, what happened with Marlybone? Did they recover or something? That could be something to look into.

Plus, there's a lot of random skyways we didn't explore at all. Namely ones from Monquista, Marlybone, and Valancia (I think.).

Business wise, new Card Packs, Bundles, and Housing Gauntlets would be really cool. People practically always pay for them, and their friends or other people want to do them. You wouldn't imagine how many people asked me to gift them a pack.

Also, how long does it take to create a Chapter? And how do you manage between Wizard101 and Pirate101? I know the teams are merged together, so yeah.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope this goes through and you read and answer us Blind Mew.

From,

Sly Colin Voss, Lv. 67
Charming Quinn Brewster, Lv. 65
Helpful Alexander Dove, Lv. 50

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
I have to agree for once, Bonnie Anne is starting to annoy me as a player. What if one of the Valencian companion say " I had enough of Marylebone." That might cause some tension among the crew. She got a reason to hate Valencia, she is fighting for her world and have hard time even at her home town. I hope Contessa dosn't get annoyed on Bonnie Anne's comment after that epic fight,lol.

Next topic about Valencia during part one, there is another city mentioned that was not used in part two.That city is called Cadiz. Unless it's only a rumor, if it's real.....

Once again, thanks for the story line update and the bug fix.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I have often wondered who raised us after our parent's death.
1. Did we have a foster family, or were we stuck in some orphanage?
2. If we were raised by a foster family, are they still living?
3. Is there a chance that we may meet them or return to our home of origin to aid them?
( forgive me if you've already answered this in a previous Blind Mew's Musings. )
About Kane:
In the puppet show we see Gazpaccio instructing Kane in mathematics and engineering, but where did Kane learn to fight; he has a very formal style, who gave him instruction in Duello?

Ensign
Jan 19, 2014
Is Lytton from Port Reagal a reference to Sir Charles Lytton from the movie The Pink Panther (1963)?

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
anecorbie on Jun 26, 2016 wrote:
3. Is there a chance that we may meet them or return to our home of origin to aid them?
( forgive me if you've already answered this in a previous Blind Mew's Musings. )
About Kane:
In the puppet show we see Gazpaccio instructing Kane in mathematics and engineering, but where did Kane learn to fight; he has a very formal style, who gave him instruction in Duello?
You answered that question in the tutorial...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ryanbold2 on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
Nope, tutorial says nothing about individuals. For example, I chose MooShu as my home origin and my character sheet says "raised by ninja pigs"; well, conceivably, ninja pigs could be running an orphanage.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Ryanbold2 on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
Not really. It just says you were raised by bears, or kroks or something, but not that you were brought up in someone's home or in an orphanage. The bears of Grizzleheim might well have shoved us into an orphanage; little, weak, pink-skinned baby that can't grow fur to keep warm might not do well in a family with rough and tumble cubs with claws and teeth.

Or did the dogs of Marleybone hand us off to a couple who couldn't conceive pups/kits of their own? Did we have foster siblings or were we only children? There are lots of questions unanswered there.

Ensign
Nov 09, 2012
I have one more question for you, Mr. Blind Mew:
Why are there Ophidian Ships in Calabria Skyway? They seem VERY out of place, and I was wondering if there was a reason why they were put there.
Thanks,
~Fine Matthew Collins Lv 68

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
While I don't have it myself, I have seen videos of a gauntlet in Wizard101 that takes place in Valencia. In it, Gazzpacio's apprentice sends our wizard on a quest to fix the Great Clock, which was built by Gazzpacio. I am curious why G's apprentice never made an appearance in Valencia part II. Was this part of some of the scrapped content? [Also, on the topic of helping Pirate101 grow, releasing a gauntlet would be a great way to bring in money ( gauntlet = $40 : 40 players buy it = $1,600)]

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Blind Mew. It is wonderful to see you post again. It is a shame that the complete story arc that you wrote had to be shortened so much to end at C15 instead of C20.

Pirate players are more than happy to help to get new recruits, but there are a few things I want to mention that would help obtain the goal of new players to keep content rolling for P101:

- P101 lost a lot of members/players because of the lack of new story content over the last 3 years. Many loyal players lost hope and went elsewhere. We were wounded because of the lack of communication from KI as to what was happening with the game. Those wounds are still open but if we can get the game rolling again, we will eventually heal.

- I also think P101 had a problem getting new players because of many W101 players who refused to try the game and bashed the game itself consistently in the beginning. Although many W101 'purists' seem to be supporting P101 more these days.

- Grassroots are great, but KI really needs to step up to the plate. In any business, you must spend money to make money. KI may have taken it in the pocket over the last 3 years with P101 (and the mobile game disaster), but they need to dig deeper into their pockets to not only help recruit new players but to retain the players they already have.

- What's going to make people want to try the game? Not just "hey, this is a great game, try it". Incentives are a must at this point. The type of things you do when you're trying to launch a new game. This is the same scenario. You're essentially relaunching the game.

- Get the ball rolling. Remember when we had that awesome Ninja Pig we could get? Create another awesome companion that players can get codes for, for themselves and for their friends. That original Ninja Pig got me and many friends in P101 to try it.

-------- to be continued -------

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
------- continued -------

- Periodic free weekends for non-members. If I was a F2P, I would certainly appreciate a free weekend once in a while to try out new content. Who knows, they might buy an area, or buy a membership based on what they see and/or experience.

- Communication with players is key to keeping a game prospering. The higher-ups in KI needs to realize that players need communication. We need to know what the updates/fixes are about. What new content may be coming up? Having a virtual blackout the last 3 years has been detrimental to the game and its players.

- For new players that just signed up: Code(s) or gift(s) for some boost potions, and/or a cool noob outfit, and/or a 30-day mount, and/or 30-day free membership. All of these (preferably), or a combination, thereof.

- Buying a membership: Code(s) or gift(s): Buy one month, get one free. Buy a 12 month and get 3 months free. Give them a bunch of gifts. Boosts, some crowns, a permanent mount, a cool outfit to stitch (no stats). Go a bit overboard.

- Don't forget to give incentives to current players/members. Some of us have been here since the beginning, and it would help to retain your player base if something nice was done or given to us. (Remember, you have to spend money to make money!)

- The game drops need to be reworked for better stats, for better looks, and more appropriate levels. High level drops should not be L25 gear. I don't know if you guys are working on L70 gear, too, but you need to seriously change the looks. No one wants L70 gear that has the noob look you get when you first play the game. Personally, I expected something much more classy and exciting, like the Armada Marine outfits. Something cool looking that is appropriate for our L70 pirates.

----- to be continued ------

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
------ continued ------

- For those who have memberships: give some crowns per month (250-500? More?)

- Maybe give a certain amount of training tomes per month (20? More?) This would be a debate whether it would be to just members, or for everyone, or maybe it could be you can get them once you hit a certain level?

- Right now, it's not very feasible to buy areas with crowns, because there are so many areas within areas that cost crowns. Loosen that up a bit so that when purchasing an area, it includes a lot more content.

- Don't diss crown players, especially those that pay for areas. Companion resets should cost gold like the members. Transportalators (sp?) should cost gold for everyone (if they have that area open). Squeezing crowns for every little thing will turn people away, not bring them in.

- Be sure to keep the game story-driven, not challenge-driven. Players are engaged with the storyline. There are a minority few that want challenging or super challenging content, and frankly, it will turn away the main player base, and it could turn away potential players as well. This is definitely NOT what KI needs right now for P101.

Well, that's all I have for now. I'm sure I missed something, but I sincerely hope some of these ideas help give you an idea of what may work for obtaining new players and retaining current players.

Thank you for listening!

Brynn

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Thank you, Blind Mew, for your honesty in the update notes, although there are clearly things unsaid, and I understand perfectly why they are unsaid. I honestly feel like all of my guesses about what was going on behind the scenes was either spot on or dangerously too close.

It seems that, as you said, our evangelizing for Pirate101 is the key to how quickly new updates come. The fact that you had to rewrite the last six books into one (essentially) should be a red flag to anyone playing the game just how important it is to bring in new players if we want to see a Book 16 any time soon. An occasional reminder of Pirate101's Facebook and Twitter pages would also help.

One thing I beg of you, although you, as the scriptwriter, have little say in it, don't make future books so tough that you have to team up on even minor battles or hire henchmen to make it through. This is why I stopped playing Wizard101 after Dragonspire. I simply could not beat anyone, and I didn't want to limit my play time to when I had friends who could help me, and I certainly did not want to spend crowns with every battle.

One thing that might attract more players is more giveaways, much like you do in October and December. Perhaps one in June? You could include in those gifts some things such as surprise training tomes, even. I spend days just sending my companions out brawlin' and keel haulin' to keep them at the same level as my pirate, and that makes the play of the game easier.

Another thing that I like in Wizard is the quests put out by the Head Librarian with the lost pages, and the ones put out by The Professor. Maybe something similar where Boochbeard appears as a character on Skull Island on occasion and sends pirates off on adventures in each of the worlds so far to gather magical artifacts.

I also think it is VERY important to not only win new players, but to bring old ones who left back. Get the word out that there is new content, and that their participation is needed.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 26, 2016 wrote:
About Kane:
The questions you ask are hard to answer, since those that raised you were either on Marleybone, Grizzleheim, Skull Island, Krokotopia, or Mooshu. A separate story would have to be created for each.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
I have a lot to say about this...

1. I think we as the players all deserve to know exactly WHY cuts were made to the incredible plot Arc 1 was going to be. I wish it hadn't ended too abruptly.

2. I noticed a mention of Ericka the Red in Book 16 or 17. Since this was cut, I must ask: Do we ever go to Grizzleheim? Will we ever go to Grizzleheim? I don't know for sure, but there have been some more things Grizzleheim related, with Knut and Bjorn. It's my favorite world, and I do hope we eventually go there.

3. Will there ever be new content added to Cool Ranch, such as a side story or dungeon similar to the Tower of Moo Manchu? That I'd like to see a lot. CR is my overall favorite world.

4. Any hints on Book 16, such as the world, the story, or maybe future promotion quests, you can give us?
I think the answer to the first question is obvious: the number of players of Pirate101 have not met expectations. By shortening the story, they can, with good conscience, simply add nothing more.

This is why Blind Mew put in the strong suggestion that we go out and evangelize for the game. Without more players...well...I leave it to you what that could mean.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Jun 23, 2016 wrote:
If you guys need to spread the word of Pirate101 to the players, why not air some of the older commercials again, or make a new one altogether? That way millions of people can take notice and possibly start playing.
They didn't work before. What makes you think they will work now?

Honestly, stop bothering Blind Mew with questions and get out there and RECRUIT, RECRUIT, RECRUIT!!

If you want to see a Book 16, then RECRUIT!!

Seriously, people you won't get a Book 16 without it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
They didn't work before. What makes you think they will work now?

Honestly, stop bothering Blind Mew with questions and get out there and RECRUIT, RECRUIT, RECRUIT!!

If you want to see a Book 16, then RECRUIT!!

Seriously, people you won't get a Book 16 without it.
In case you missed it, Max, this thread is for questions for Blind Mew. We're not "bothering" him as he requested us to tell him what's on our minds.
So stop trying to hijack the thread.

Ensign
Jul 13, 2009
Why does/did Kane keep Phule around, much less as a member of his inner court? As the earliest creation of Gazpaccio and given his obvious tendencies to only look out for himself, wouldn't he be something of a liability - a relic of the past that Kane would seek to destroy or replace instead of keeping?

Ensign
Jul 30, 2012
ClockworkMage. on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
Why does/did Kane keep Phule around, much less as a member of his inner court? As the earliest creation of Gazpaccio and given his obvious tendencies to only look out for himself, wouldn't he be something of a liability - a relic of the past that Kane would seek to destroy or replace instead of keeping?
I believe that Phule mentions the reason for this is because Kane would never admit failure, since he is supposed to be this "perfect being".

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I did think that the quest, "Here Comes Trouble" might need slight extending to accommodate some Krokotopians, likely 'cause Ted Tomkins wanted the magical lamp from Krokotopia that belonged to his great-grandmother to end his trouble making & the Abandoned Homestead dungeon's currently a one-shot dungeon, not the housing one-shot dungeons from W101, a one-&-done dungeon, with only 1 battle against the boss, Ol' Ezekiel, though, I would presume the Lamp would also be guarded by Kroks that say the Lamp is cursed, vowed to stop any who try to get the Lamp.

Would that be possible to have that side quest extended, the instance, while needing to be replayable, improved & extended with it's own instance quest, & new bosses & enemies & made into it's own side storyline? Why, anecorbie thought that Ted would be turned into a stone statue to add a plot twist, though, to add the surprise, he would also be transported away from Skull Island to Krokotopia, at the hands of it's previous holder that is greedy and evil, leaving the possible chance to save Ted at a later adventure.

Wouldn't that make that quest a bit more surprising?

Should you have Moo Manchu come back again, can he have his own castle, that is larger & more dangerous than his own Tower? I would like him to engage in another vengeance scheme, only gathering more power to even create a portal to the Outer Void as his attempt to send the Pirates that defeated him to their demises. I know Moo Manchu will keep going to greater lengths to get his vengeance.

You said having the huge momentum in previous books weighed you down, yes? Why didn't you just shave some o' that momentum away by adding some side adventures to solve some long awaiting mysteries & such, instead o' cramming the 1st arc to end it at Book 15? I know you want to move on, & I understand it. Hope next time, even with arc 2 on the way, you'll take some time to shed the weighing momentum away by adding some new side adventures.