Role Play must STOP

AuthorMessage
Captain
Apr 24, 2016
525
Helpful Aurora Par... on Jun 27, 2017 wrote:
Welcome to the Message Boards, Imac1822.

There are two types of role-players: The bad role-playing as in families and relationships that I very much dislike, and the sessions we know as "role-plays". In these, you make your own character and pretty much "act" and "pretend" as if you're an actor. Several role-plays with my friends are:

  • Pretending to have powers.
  • Pretending to be ninjas.
  • And much more!
So, those are amazing, yet I completely understand everything you say about the "families."

One of my friends' friend had a wedding on Pirate101 with another Pirate! I told my friend, "That's just wrong."

A long time ago one friend in Pirate101 that was in my house (on the balcony of the Big House overlooking the steps back down) asked me if I would marry him! This kind of role-playing is just downright wrong, like I told my friend.

Two friends of mine were pretending to be father and daughter.

One friend said she was trying to "kill herself" and when I told her it wasn't funny and that she should stop right that instant, she did not.

However, if all you role-play about are characters and story-lines that have no intimacy or depth of love or hate, role-playing can be quite fun when your imagination can take you anywhere!

So, Imac1822, I'm not here to "hate" your post like you said. I'm here to agree with you 100% on telling you that sort of role-playing is not kid-friendly, but there's another kind of role-playing that you did not specify yet that is good, light and incredibly fun.
I love to do role plays where I have powers, can be a dragon, or be a ninja and more! the relationship role's need to stop, I agree, they are wrong, just wrong.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
330
As long as people aren't breaking the ToS agreement, they should be free to do as they please. I've played lots of games and believe me, role-playing and such is prevalent in almost all of them and to a much greater degree. I agree that there is no place for obscenity in P101, but just because you don't agree with some of the other more innocent activities that some people engage in, doesn't mean we need a group of players with torches and pitchforks rounding up people and having hangings in Avery Court. Listen to yourselves lol. We should all certainly report obvious and blatant infractions of the ToS agreement, but other than that, live and let live. If you don't feel comfortable in certain situations, you are free to move to a different area or realm. I think that the existing system KI has in place for such things is adequate. There will always be ways around it and I'm sure most of us know who Tyrone is, but when I got tired of listening to him, I put him on my 'ignore list' and could no longer hear what he was saying. Problem solved.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8532
Spiral Cowboy on Aug 7, 2017 wrote:
As long as people aren't breaking the ToS agreement, they should be free to do as they please. I've played lots of games and believe me, role-playing and such is prevalent in almost all of them and to a much greater degree. I agree that there is no place for obscenity in P101, but just because you don't agree with some of the other more innocent activities that some people engage in, doesn't mean we need a group of players with torches and pitchforks rounding up people and having hangings in Avery Court. Listen to yourselves lol. We should all certainly report obvious and blatant infractions of the ToS agreement, but other than that, live and let live. If you don't feel comfortable in certain situations, you are free to move to a different area or realm. I think that the existing system KI has in place for such things is adequate. There will always be ways around it and I'm sure most of us know who Tyrone is, but when I got tired of listening to him, I put him on my 'ignore list' and could no longer hear what he was saying. Problem solved.
If you looked at everyone's posts you'll see that the Role Plays being objected to ARE those that break KI Terms of Use and should be reported.
Honestly, if you want to do that sort of role play "get a room", in other words don't do it in public where everyone can "hear" your nasty conversation.
I think a little action with pitch forks and fire would send a clear message that adult themes aren't going to tolerated in this game.

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
163
Spiral Cowboy on Aug 7, 2017 wrote:
As long as people aren't breaking the ToS agreement, they should be free to do as they please. I've played lots of games and believe me, role-playing and such is prevalent in almost all of them and to a much greater degree. I agree that there is no place for obscenity in P101, but just because you don't agree with some of the other more innocent activities that some people engage in, doesn't mean we need a group of players with torches and pitchforks rounding up people and having hangings in Avery Court. Listen to yourselves lol. We should all certainly report obvious and blatant infractions of the ToS agreement, but other than that, live and let live. If you don't feel comfortable in certain situations, you are free to move to a different area or realm. I think that the existing system KI has in place for such things is adequate. There will always be ways around it and I'm sure most of us know who Tyrone is, but when I got tired of listening to him, I put him on my 'ignore list' and could no longer hear what he was saying. Problem solved.
Well said, Spiral Cowboy. I also agree to live and let live. I do agree that sometimes the role playing gets a bit out of hand and we should all do our best to certainly report obscene or inappropriate behavior but other than that I also don't think that the role playing should completely stop cold turkey. Although it is a bit weird, there's really nothing we can do to stop the role playing completely. People get creative and will always find a way around things. I also have to admit that sometimes the role playing is funny and it makes my day at times. What I'm trying to say in a nutshell basically boils down to reporting inappropriate behavior but other than that if something is bothering YOU specifically and it isn't bothering others around you doesn't mean we need an angry mob to completely stop it. You're always free to use the ignore button, change realms, or simply port off somewhere else. Problem solved.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 23 Musketeer-in-Training)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8532
Trying to stop innocent role play isn't what this thread is about: despite the title chosen by the OP, its about stopping the adult and obscene conversations happening in common areas in front of other players. Their object is to shock or bully other players.
It isn't right to charge the rest of us posters with being uptight or self-righteous about all role play or demanding "fire & pitchforks".

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1268
thedragonpirate245... on Aug 6, 2017 wrote:
I love to do role plays where I have powers, can be a dragon, or be a ninja and more! the relationship role's need to stop, I agree, they are wrong, just wrong.
L.O.L., we really need to meet in the game sometime.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
431
thedragonpirate245... on Aug 6, 2017 wrote:
I love to do role plays where I have powers, can be a dragon, or be a ninja and more! the relationship role's need to stop, I agree, they are wrong, just wrong.
First, the on topic things:
1) This game just needs a stronger chat filter. Block out the words 'girl' and 'boy' if you have to.
2) Support for the 'community moderators' idea. ROBLOX used to have that.
3) Reporting players should be restricted by age, but not to 21+. I'd say more like 16+?

Off-topic, a response to the quoted post:

Make sure you're not pulling the same stupid things I was while you're doing that, man. Rereading my post history from three years ago, I must have seemed like an idiot .

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
525
Helpful Aurora Par... on Sep 24, 2017 wrote:
L.O.L., we really need to meet in the game sometime.
yas, we do! I have like one or too friends who like to do RPGS as well.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
857
Kai Alcott on Sep 25, 2017 wrote:
First, the on topic things:
1) This game just needs a stronger chat filter. Block out the words 'girl' and 'boy' if you have to.
2) Support for the 'community moderators' idea. ROBLOX used to have that.
3) Reporting players should be restricted by age, but not to 21+. I'd say more like 16+?

Off-topic, a response to the quoted post:

Make sure you're not pulling the same stupid things I was while you're doing that, man. Rereading my post history from three years ago, I must have seemed like an idiot .
Oh man. I don't read my old posts for a reason. Apologies to anyone who was around for pre-2016 Misty; I was a mess. Still am, really, but to a lesser degree. I think.

I'm hoping Pirate101 gets hall monitors like Wizard101. It would help a lot of the problems we have. However, I don't think reporting should be restricted by age. Anyone should be able to report players harassing them - a better restriction could be account age, not player age. Once you've been around for a while, say a month, you unlock the ability to report. It's both helpful to players without memberships, and prevents trolls from creating numerous alt accounts to flood one person with reports.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
431
MistyDragon13 on Sep 25, 2017 wrote:
Oh man. I don't read my old posts for a reason. Apologies to anyone who was around for pre-2016 Misty; I was a mess. Still am, really, but to a lesser degree. I think.

I'm hoping Pirate101 gets hall monitors like Wizard101. It would help a lot of the problems we have. However, I don't think reporting should be restricted by age. Anyone should be able to report players harassing them - a better restriction could be account age, not player age. Once you've been around for a while, say a month, you unlock the ability to report. It's both helpful to players without memberships, and prevents trolls from creating numerous alt accounts to flood one person with reports.
Restriction by age is a good idea. I used to play ROBLOX with my little sister a lot. Once, I joined a fighting game, where the point is to kill people.
I killed someone. They reported me and vocally announced that I had been reported, multiple times.

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
525
Kai Alcott on Sep 25, 2017 wrote:
First, the on topic things:
1) This game just needs a stronger chat filter. Block out the words 'girl' and 'boy' if you have to.
2) Support for the 'community moderators' idea. ROBLOX used to have that.
3) Reporting players should be restricted by age, but not to 21+. I'd say more like 16+?

Off-topic, a response to the quoted post:

Make sure you're not pulling the same stupid things I was while you're doing that, man. Rereading my post history from three years ago, I must have seemed like an idiot .
I don't do romance RPGS, if that's what your talking about. I don't do very many stupid things (unless you count eating frog legs as something stupid..... I could of been eating fan! lol I wasn't eating fan. it actually tasted like chicken in a way)

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
431
thedragonpirate245... on Sep 26, 2017 wrote:
I don't do romance RPGS, if that's what your talking about. I don't do very many stupid things (unless you count eating frog legs as something stupid..... I could of been eating fan! lol I wasn't eating fan. it actually tasted like chicken in a way)
I'm not talking about that. While romance roleplaying is okay, I couldn't care less, it's NOT okay in a kids' game. This is a game for children. Most of the people you meet are under thirteen.

Stupid things, I mean like... read my post history for examples. I was a complete idiot.

Side note: is the COLOR WHEEL new?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8532
Kai Alcott on Sep 29, 2017 wrote:
I'm not talking about that. While romance roleplaying is okay, I couldn't care less, it's NOT okay in a kids' game. This is a game for children. Most of the people you meet are under thirteen.

Stupid things, I mean like... read my post history for examples. I was a complete idiot.

Side note: is the COLOR WHEEL new?
If the kids playing are under thirteen, then they don't see Text or Open Chat; ( unless their parents unlock it for them ) so that issue is moot.
However, just because some are over thirteen doesn't make it OK to spam filth. I would be very uncomfortable for even sixteen year olds being exposed to the adult situations; most especially if the "speaker" is an adult ( that's just wrong )!
You've had some interesting posts in the past, Kai, I wouldn't say you were an idiot.
Side Note: The color wheel isn't new

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1268
Kai Alcott on Sep 29, 2017 wrote:
I'm not talking about that. While romance roleplaying is okay, I couldn't care less, it's NOT okay in a kids' game. This is a game for children. Most of the people you meet are under thirteen.

Stupid things, I mean like... read my post history for examples. I was a complete idiot.

Side note: is the COLOR WHEEL new?
Nope, the color wheel isn't new. It's at least been around as long as I have - I joined in late 2013.

Ensign
Jul 21, 2014
2
I totally agree!
Like, wow. I have seen too many inappropriate role players in the court. I don't mind appropriate roleplay, like kids getting into the story, in fact I appreciate a love for storytelling! But there is no creative value in two people having inappropriate relations in the plaza. I'm also fifteen. I don't want to come home after school and see two people doing gross things in Avery's Court. I also can't tolerate how inconsiderate those people are. It's as if they forgot that Pirate101 is a kid's game and that they have private messaging.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1268
Brecken The Wicked on Sep 30, 2017 wrote:
I totally agree!
Like, wow. I have seen too many inappropriate role players in the court. I don't mind appropriate roleplay, like kids getting into the story, in fact I appreciate a love for storytelling! But there is no creative value in two people having inappropriate relations in the plaza. I'm also fifteen. I don't want to come home after school and see two people doing gross things in Avery's Court. I also can't tolerate how inconsiderate those people are. It's as if they forgot that Pirate101 is a kid's game and that they have private messaging.
L.O.L., you're absolutely right, Brecken! I was with my friend and I was going to help her fight some Ships, but I saw two Pirates standing on top of the staircase in Avery's Court talking about all kinds of stuff, and yes, romance.

I told them that they just wanted to get attention and just wanted to be seen. When they denied that, I said that there is such a thing as Text Chat and they could have just talked to each other personally, but because my friend and I were there - oh, we were an audience! See, they want attention. Otherwise, forget it. There's no fun in it, right?

It's like with sad penguins in the late Club Penguin (R.I.P. Club Penguin, L.O.L.) - and still in Club Penguin Island sometimes - where there would be sad penguins. Probably about 98% of the penguins who had the sad face weren't really sad: They just wanted attention. In fact, in the game of Club Penguin Rewritten, which is Club Penguin basically alive, one of my friends actually confirmed that he used to have sad faces in the original game because he wanted attention. This is the same thing! These dramatic Pirates want an audience for their romantic drama show.

Captain
Jan 17, 2013
733
lmac1822 on Jun 27, 2017 wrote:
Hi,

I recently was at the Bazaar selling some equipment and then went to the free trader. I saw the most awful and annoying thing...role players! Listen i know I'm bout to get hate on this message, but the whole reason i started to play Pirate101 was to escape the drama people started on Wizard101! Not only that, i have seen and heard of situations of people who are pretending to have adult relationships with each other, i thought this was a kid friendly game! Look I'm 15 years old and to see how people are treating each other is obscene. I'm not saying that Wizard101 is a bad game or Pirate101 for that matter, I'm saying that a lot of people are tired of the role play. It totally defeats the whole purpose of the game, which is level up your character by questing and having friends help along the way, not sit there and play mother and father. It is also a big issue in which people are using death threats, taunts, and threatening suicide over a silly argument in a game. I have seen a fight in Avery's court where a person said they were going to kill them self because of their boyfriend in game cheated on her. First off how can you cheat on someone in a game like this! Second why would you threaten to end your life over a in game relationship! Third and final statement on this topic, How do you know who is behind that character! For all we know they could be a 45 year old man who is trying to make people think he is a female and then trick a person into giving them there information because they are not who they say they were! Yes adults can play the game, but people got to be aware of the circumstances that people are not who they say they are. Everything i mentioned here is associated with role play! I am sick and tired of hearing stories about how someone on Pirate101 or Wizard101 turned out to be someone different then they claimed to be. People are not honest and that is why I believe that role play is toxic to this game. I understand this will get a large amount of dislike but please think to yourself, "are they really who they say they are?" Especially if you are under the age age of 18. People lie about their age all the time.

Thanks,
A dude who is just a Buccaneer
Brother, i could not agree with you more! I am nearly 16 and i have been playing this game since i was 11. (Call me what you wish, lol.) And i have constantly had to deal with people saying very inappropriate things. I have to deal with that junk constantly in real life, so that stuff gets old pretty quick. I play this game not only for the fun but for the usually friendly fanbase, so i can leave the stress of real life for a little bit and just have some fun with friends. And i am pretty darn sick of supposed "girls" asking to be in a relationship on this game, its ridiculous. I like roleplay as long as its friendly, but this innappropriate "relationship" weirdness has got to stop.

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
57
Welcome to the boards, Imac1822.

Oh brother, do I agree with you on the role playing thing. It is ridiculous and I've seen my share of questionable conversations take place in the Avery realm in Avery's Court. I've also had "friends" ask me to buy them crown items (I removed those people and placed them on the ignore list) and I've even had a few ask me to be their gf and even after I told them that I was married irl and I don't get down like that, those people still persisted (do I even have to say how that ended?). Experiences like those are why I steer clear of AC in Avery realm if I can help it and also why I rarely accept any friendly requests.

I also support the idea for in game moderators.

_____________________________________________________

Finally! I have max toons from all five classes.

Slick Tabitha Silver - Lvl 70 Musketeer
Witty Hazel Jackson - Lvl 70 Swashbuckler
Crazy Grace Kidd - Lvl 70 Buccaneer
Little Aisha Armstrong - Lvl 70 Witchdoctor
Fiery Rachel Gordon - Lvl 70 Privateer

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
187
lmac1822 on Jun 27, 2017 wrote:
Hi,

I recently was at the Bazaar selling some equipment and then went to the free trader. I saw the most awful and annoying thing...role players! Listen i know I'm bout to get hate on this message, but the whole reason i started to play Pirate101 was to escape the drama people started on Wizard101! Not only that, i have seen and heard of situations of people who are pretending to have adult relationships with each other, i thought this was a kid friendly game! Look I'm 15 years old and to see how people are treating each other is obscene. I'm not saying that Wizard101 is a bad game or Pirate101 for that matter, I'm saying that a lot of people are tired of the role play. It totally defeats the whole purpose of the game, which is level up your character by questing and having friends help along the way, not sit there and play mother and father. It is also a big issue in which people are using death threats, taunts, and threatening suicide over a silly argument in a game. I have seen a fight in Avery's court where a person said they were going to kill them self because of their boyfriend in game cheated on her. First off how can you cheat on someone in a game like this! Second why would you threaten to end your life over a in game relationship! Third and final statement on this topic, How do you know who is behind that character! For all we know they could be a 45 year old man who is trying to make people think he is a female and then trick a person into giving them there information because they are not who they say they were! Yes adults can play the game, but people got to be aware of the circumstances that people are not who they say they are. Everything i mentioned here is associated with role play! I am sick and tired of hearing stories about how someone on Pirate101 or Wizard101 turned out to be someone different then they claimed to be. People are not honest and that is why I believe that role play is toxic to this game. I understand this will get a large amount of dislike but please think to yourself, "are they really who they say they are?" Especially if you are under the age age of 18. People lie about their age all the time.

Thanks,
A dude who is just a Buccaneer
Although I hate that kinda behavior, it's pretty funny to listen to it.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 12, 2010
202
I completely, totally, and utterly agree with this topic. Role plays are really really really not cool, it's really weird, especially the whole relationship stuff, and I should know, I used to be apart of it. I was really immature back then, and didn't know what was going on most of the time, I was simply growing. I did some stuff I'm really really not happy with and most of it included fake girlfriends, and I completely regret all of that. Not only is having those kind of relationships on Pirate101 or Wizard101 weird, awkward, and uncomfortable for other people, it's also really sad. If you get to the point where you pretend to have girlfriends and boyfriends with other people on Pirate101, I seriously suggest you become hidden to friends for a while and quest or farm, take a break from all of that drama, and be reminded of what Pirate101 is really meant for, and that being said, you shouldn't get into a relationship anywhere when you can't see the person's actual face. I'm super thankful for maturing and really glad I did, my only regret is that I didn't see the light earlier. Every day I flashback to those days where I built that kind of reputation for myself I am so shameful, I really want to forget it.

I suggest no one ever does that kind of dramatic role playing ever, it was never really any fun either, it was always so dramatic.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
732
Same thing here, sigh I remembered when wizard 101 was lively and everyone where friendly towards other wizards. Then suddenly everyone starting drama everywhere, talk about the excessive verbal fights and the false reports i was experiencing especially on my death wizard.

I came here to play and also escape from those drama, it was so friendly way back then when i was a new player. I noticed the change of the atmosphere, as a player. Bullies where rear back then, so they were easily taken care care of, 3 things to do ignore them, try reasoning with the player, if all else fails well the ignore or report button. Unfortunately not so currently,this is why i took a 9 month break to do something else. ( How do you deal with a group of bad sports )

I agree role play must stop, all these drama starting to remind me of wizards 4 years back.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 12, 2010
202
1Of1Musketeer on Oct 21, 2017 wrote:
I completely, totally, and utterly agree with this topic. Role plays are really really really not cool, it's really weird, especially the whole relationship stuff, and I should know, I used to be apart of it. I was really immature back then, and didn't know what was going on most of the time, I was simply growing. I did some stuff I'm really really not happy with and most of it included fake girlfriends, and I completely regret all of that. Not only is having those kind of relationships on Pirate101 or Wizard101 weird, awkward, and uncomfortable for other people, it's also really sad. If you get to the point where you pretend to have girlfriends and boyfriends with other people on Pirate101, I seriously suggest you become hidden to friends for a while and quest or farm, take a break from all of that drama, and be reminded of what Pirate101 is really meant for, and that being said, you shouldn't get into a relationship anywhere when you can't see the person's actual face. I'm super thankful for maturing and really glad I did, my only regret is that I didn't see the light earlier. Every day I flashback to those days where I built that kind of reputation for myself I am so shameful, I really want to forget it.

I suggest no one ever does that kind of dramatic role playing ever, it was never really any fun either, it was always so dramatic.
Another way you can tell how immature I used to be is look at my older posts. They're really really regrettable. I was really short-tempered and impetuous, and I cared way too much about what people thought of me.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1268
1Of1Musketeer on Oct 25, 2017 wrote:
Another way you can tell how immature I used to be is look at my older posts. They're really really regrettable. I was really short-tempered and impetuous, and I cared way too much about what people thought of me.
I admire your admitting and I think that when you admit things about yourself you become even better, but honestly I don't understand. I took a look at your previous posts and they were not short-tempered or impetuous in any way.

Ensign
May 09, 2013
14
Whole reason for MMORPG is that you already ARE a different character, fulfilling an exciting storyline and can quest with friends or random PUGs. I'm cool with that.

So why people role play is beyond me. I hate it, don't participate in it. But, if people want to they can. That said, completely agree with OP on this issue.

It's also part of the reason I don't have many friends in game, if at all. I'm happier playing solo and randomly matching up to help someone.