Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Old Scratch

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 26, 2012
I've been hearing a lot from my friends about how terrible Old Scratch is at PvP and PvE. I asked them how many times Old Scratch would miss out of a hundred hits, and they said around 40-50!!!
Personally, Old Scratch rarely ever misses for me- say about 1 or 2 times out of 10. And his Mojo Echo dominates - occasionally, he scores 4-5 hits, usually one of them super, mega, or epic and deals around 350 damage for each normal hit, and 400-600 for each critical. Another thing about his Mojo Echo is that it activates a lot, say 6 times out of ten hits.
His damage area is pretty good too, a solid 3x3 block that's useful for getting rid of Zeena's fires, traps, and crushing a group of enemies. It's awesome for PvE and PvP, whether team battles or 1v1's. And he dodges at the most unexpected times(he even dodged Bonnie's gunshot once)
The above happens only if you train him to max, then upgrade his accuracy and dodge to rank 4. Also upgrade his mojo echo and that area of effect thingy to tier 2.
What really confuses me is why everyone hates him... Some thoughts on this?

Lawrence Windlass, Level 65

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Few people really hate Old Scratch in PvP. Yes he has weak Armor, strength and agility, which makes him easy pickings for a melee bruiser like Hawkules. Scratch's main problem is that he, like all witchdoctor companions, cannot train up his accuracy. It doesn't matter how devastating your attacks are, if you don't hit with them, you will lose the duel. This is why you see so many musketeer companions in PvP, and so few witchdoctor companions. Privateers are the only class that get enough accuracy buffs to be able to afford to bring a witchdoctor companion into a fight, and they usually choose more accurate companions too. Old scratch is due for another promotion in the next expansion, and I think that more privateers will use him in PvP then.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Rasenshruiken on Oct 29, 2013 wrote:
I've been hearing a lot from my friends about how terrible Old Scratch is at PvP and PvE. I asked them how many times Old Scratch would miss out of a hundred hits, and they said around 40-50!!!
Personally, Old Scratch rarely ever misses for me- say about 1 or 2 times out of 10. And his Mojo Echo dominates - occasionally, he scores 4-5 hits, usually one of them super, mega, or epic and deals around 350 damage for each normal hit, and 400-600 for each critical. Another thing about his Mojo Echo is that it activates a lot, say 6 times out of ten hits.
His damage area is pretty good too, a solid 3x3 block that's useful for getting rid of Zeena's fires, traps, and crushing a group of enemies. It's awesome for PvE and PvP, whether team battles or 1v1's. And he dodges at the most unexpected times(he even dodged Bonnie's gunshot once)
The above happens only if you train him to max, then upgrade his accuracy and dodge to rank 4. Also upgrade his mojo echo and that area of effect thingy to tier 2.

I love Scratchy too and use him a lot with my inoshishi necromancer and they regularly clean up. The problem is you cannot train Scratch in accuracy and you cannot give him Jobu's Ruse so it is very frustrating that you cannot do a thing go try to counter his low accuracy. Just having Jobu's Ruse would be a huge help.

Ensign
Nov 23, 2012
Rasenshruiken on Oct 29, 2013 wrote:

The main reason I and many others dislike scratchy is because since getting old scratch on your crew, he did fair damage but fizzled probably at least once every battle. And on top of that, his health makes him great target so even if he has really good damage, it won't matter much if any of my musket companions get burst fire (especially zeena)

Greedy Wesley Kidd, max level