Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Group Plunder Chests - Annoying?

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Dear Ki Developers,
I have been trying to get my greedy little hands on some doubloons. The only trouble I'm having is finding the friends to open those dang things! I have found at least 15 chests since the update and have NOT been able to open one! . I have run around shouting "group chest come open! " or used Menu Chat and no response. Please is there some way I can open them without a friend? ( I'm favoring using my Axe of the Minotaur Lords or perhaps sparkpowder. )

Sincerely,
Bold Bess Nightingale lvl 65

P.S. my other pirates would like to know this information also.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on May 29, 2014 wrote:
Dear Ki Developers,
I have been trying to get my greedy little hands on some doubloons. The only trouble I'm having is finding the friends to open those dang things! I have found at least 15 chests since the update and have NOT been able to open one! . I have run around shouting "group chest come open! " or used Menu Chat and no response. Please is there some way I can open them without a friend? ( I'm favoring using my Axe of the Minotaur Lords or perhaps sparkpowder. )

Sincerely,

I'd go with the Axe first to not obliterate the doubloons....or perhaps pry the chest open with one of El Toro's horns- still intact of course. I have not come across too many GPCs but I haven't really been playing a whole lot lately either- just logging in, training pets and collecting from companion tasks.

One thing that I have seen, is players who find them have been posting immediately on Central that there is a GPC and giving details to the location and realm. From what I can tell, almost all of those posts go answered and fellow pirates who come across the posts rush in to help with the opening and collecting. So, if you are a member of Central...who am I kidden' because you are on my Central Friend list, so of course you're a member! If you come across one, maybe give that a try and see if you get some players responding and popping in from it.

But it does seem like there should be another option (or 2) to help keep them from going to waste. Not everyone is a member of Central and can't post about them or find out about them as well. Hopefully KI will come up with other options to help players with this, especially like in your cases- when in game help is so hard to find!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Dear Ki Developers,

Sincerely,

Well, if ya need a friend to help ya with those plunderin chests, I'd be more than happy to help.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Dear Ki Developers,

Sincerely,

Lockpicking skill, nudge, nudge KingsIsle.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
Dear Ki Developers,

Sincerely,

Oooh, that would be cool.
'Smashy' or 'Shooty' weapons would be used as an alternative to the group thing, but doing it in a group would provide more rewards.
AWESOME idea. Or, maybe a lockpicking mini-game you have to get at least a certain score on to beat each lock? That would be cool too.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Dear Ki Developers,

Sincerely,

Maybe quest together with a couple friends? Just an idea

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 29, 2014 wrote:
I'd go with the Axe first to not obliterate the doubloons....or perhaps pry the chest open with one of El Toro's horns- still intact of course. I have not come across too many GPCs but I haven't really been playing a whole lot lately either- just logging in, training pets and collecting from companion tasks.

One thing that I have seen, is players who find them have been posting immediately on Central that there is a GPC and giving details to the location and realm. From what I can tell, almost all of those posts go answered and fellow pirates who come across the posts rush in to help with the opening and collecting. So, if you are a member of Central...who am I kidden' because you are on my Central Friend list, so of course you're a member! If you come across one, maybe give that a try and see if you get some players responding and popping in from it.

But it does seem like there should be another option (or 2) to help keep them from going to waste. Not everyone is a member of Central and can't post about them or find out about them as well. Hopefully KI will come up with other options to help players with this, especially like in your cases- when in game help is so hard to find!
I get a lot of help from the Twitter gang. Whenever someone posts a group plunder chest we all rush in to help out and have a fun visit an hug all around.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
In Wizard101, there are Treasure Card packs in the crown shop. I would be willing to spend a few precious crowns on a doubloon pack.

Ensign
Aug 04, 2009
I have the same issue with no one around or no friends online. It be also fair if the dungeon only had one player plunder chests....cause I do them alone.

Ensign
Nov 28, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 29, 2014 wrote:

That is a great tip Valkoor, I'd imagine there are many players, including me, who didn't know that there may be a post to watch for open chests on Central. I'll be looking for it myself, have to satisfy that curiosity in me, but as you also pointed out,some people may not use central or have other obstacles to that method for tracking someone down for a chest.

I, myself and not able to follow central and be in the game at the same time with my limitations (as I learned the hard way), so I agree with your final conclusion too that there should be another way to access the random lock chests for all of those reasons as well. I 've had to leave many behind, either no one was on or it was odd time of day - or night, and sometimes that is even the circus chest, it can have locks too with no one to help unlock them.

Yay for players figuring out some ways to get by while KI works on it, as Ratbeard assured us he would be (can't remember where that thread is now...sorry), I hope you and your family are well and having a wonderful summer. Happy thoughts of fun in the sun go out to you and yours!

Ensign
Nov 28, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on May 29, 2014 wrote:
Lockpicking skill, nudge, nudge KingsIsle.
Chrissy, thank you for remembering that there was a lock pick discussion not so long ago. (I almost forgot and it is so fitting for pirates) so I 2nd the hint and nudge and another round of yum to keep us all busy while KI works it out.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Tattoo84 on May 30, 2014 wrote:
I have the same issue with no one around or no friends online. It be also fair if the dungeon only had one player plunder chests....cause I do them alone.
Welcome to the message boards Chrissy. Cool name ya got there.
You are not alone in your feelings so we just have to trust Ratbeard's word that he will figure out a good way to solve this locked down dilemma.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
cat agate on May 30, 2014 wrote:
That is a great tip Valkoor, I'd imagine there are many players, including me, who didn't know that there may be a post to watch for open chests on Central. I'll be looking for it myself, have to satisfy that curiosity in me, but as you also pointed out,some people may not use central or have other obstacles to that method for tracking someone down for a chest.

I, myself and not able to follow central and be in the game at the same time with my limitations (as I learned the hard way), so I agree with your final conclusion too that there should be another way to access the random lock chests for all of those reasons as well. I 've had to leave many behind, either no one was on or it was odd time of day - or night, and sometimes that is even the circus chest, it can have locks too with no one to help unlock them.

Yay for players figuring out some ways to get by while KI works on it, as Ratbeard assured us he would be (can't remember where that thread is now...sorry), I hope you and your family are well and having a wonderful summer. Happy thoughts of fun in the sun go out to you and yours!
Why thank you Cat, for the wonderfully warm sentiments.

I am like you in the fact that I can't really be in the game and on Central at the same time, albeit for what are surely different reasons. I suppose that I could start playing, find a Group Chest, hit the Windows button on the keyboard, fire up my internet provider, log into Central and create a post to find some willing participants to help with the chest, and wait......but let's face it, I simply don't have enough time for that. I barely struggle to find time to play the game period these days.

I am positive that KI will come up with some way to make it easier for players to either find fellow pirates to open the chests or allow some form of "lock picking" for times when no other players can be found. Maybe there could be an All Realm Encompassing Group Plunder Chest Beacon or Broadcast (AREGPCBB- "bless you"...for short) that could be sent out when a chest drops or is interacted with.

Perhaps all Group Plunder Chests could have encoded in their programming a realm/area location and # of locks coding (which they may already), and upon dropping or being interacted with, a small notification could appear across the top of the screen that displays those bits of info to all currently logged in P101 players in all realms, in that World only. Then it is every pirate for themselves...1st come, 1st serve.

I don't know if something like this could be done or would even work, but it is a starting point for other ideas I suppose. But I do believe that there will at least be some other options that will come out of all of this and that KI will do their best to at minimum entertain those options.

Again, thank you so much for the kind words, Cat. And by the way, I have not forgotten about you on Central in the least bit. I will be in touch there very soon and I too send lots of happy thoughts to you as well

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
There I was, working on filling my Amber horde badges, in Tien Hong Granary. When over in the corner, I saw it, a four lock GPC! And no friends on line and I'm in that dungeon alone! It sat there taunting me with it's presence ( and presents ) Why oh why was it even there!