Falmea Friday 5-20-16

AuthorMessage
Developer
My Pirate Friends,

Understandably, we’ve had a bit of a hectic week here at KingsIsle, but I wanted to chat a bit about the future, and assure you there is still someone keeping an eye out from the Crow’s Nest.

We announced that Book 15 is coming to Test this week for Pirate101, and we’re excited that we’ve been able to open the gates to Valencia Part 2 this morning! We’re actively collecting feedback and comments about what we can continue to improve with this release. Blind Mew, Ratbeard, Decius, One Eyed Jack, and others are still around to continue swabbing the decks and keeping things ship shape and shiny. We sail on.

As for Book 15 specifically, let me take a few moments to talk about a few things we did a little differently this time.

Typically, we release everything just about AS IS for the Test Realm, so the full story is always out there before we even take our update to Live Servers. Our cinematics, and ESPECIALLY our puppet shows take a lot of painstaking work to complete. So, this time, we’re going to hold these back for a while for a big reveal later. Please do note that the current “Coming Soon” and “No Spoilers” posters WILL be exchanged with three awesome puppet shows and an ending that will definitely be worth checking out on Live.

We’re aiming to make this some of the most challenging content in the Spiral, and as such, we believe you deserve more types of spoils for the pillaging. I don’t want to completely give away the secrets, but here’s a few hints….
  • If you’re feeling lonely, you can still hunt for something shiny
  • Something very swift will stick around
  • Handle all enemies with care, you could break this one!
Normally I ask a question at the end, but this time, I’m just going to direct you to the Test Realm! Go play and tell us what you think! I hope to see you in Valencia, Part 2!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
2019
Professor Falmea on May 20, 2016 wrote:
My Pirate Friends,

Understandably, we’ve had a bit of a hectic week here at KingsIsle, but I wanted to chat a bit about the future, and assure you there is still someone keeping an eye out from the Crow’s Nest.

We announced that Book 15 is coming to Test this week for Pirate101, and we’re excited that we’ve been able to open the gates to Valencia Part 2 this morning! We’re actively collecting feedback and comments about what we can continue to improve with this release. Blind Mew, Ratbeard, Decius, One Eyed Jack, and others are still around to continue swabbing the decks and keeping things ship shape and shiny. We sail on.

As for Book 15 specifically, let me take a few moments to talk about a few things we did a little differently this time.

Typically, we release everything just about AS IS for the Test Realm, so the full story is always out there before we even take our update to Live Servers. Our cinematics, and ESPECIALLY our puppet shows take a lot of painstaking work to complete. So, this time, we’re going to hold these back for a while for a big reveal later. Please do note that the current “Coming Soon” and “No Spoilers” posters WILL be exchanged with three awesome puppet shows and an ending that will definitely be worth checking out on Live.

We’re aiming to make this some of the most challenging content in the Spiral, and as such, we believe you deserve more types of spoils for the pillaging. I don’t want to completely give away the secrets, but here’s a few hints….
  • If you’re feeling lonely, you can still hunt for something shiny
  • Something very swift will stick around
  • Handle all enemies with care, you could break this one!
Normally I ask a question at the end, but this time, I’m just going to direct you to the Test Realm! Go play and tell us what you think! I hope to see you in Valencia, Part 2!
Well, Professor Falmea, I am very happy that Book 15's out on Test, considering that we all have been waiting to see the story continue for a long time. However, I do have something to share with you...

1st, the length of Book 15 is less what I normally expect from a full Book. I've been through almost all of it's main quests in one day, and already, I've reached the "No Spoilers" point, already getting the idea that the last bits of Book 15 are still being worked on now. Getting to the "No Spoilers" point is unusual in a story update. Nevertheless, I understand, though, I hope you could take some time to consider extending the length just enough to make it longer.

2nd, I get that the Puppet Shows are being held back. I was hoping to see at least one o' them to get the idea about Book 15's plotline. Still, I understand. I'll wait.

3rd, I really like the new music themes in Valencia II! It solidifies the feeling of being thrown in a big race against time. Well done! Though, I hope there's time to think about having a new shared boss combat theme added to most bosses in Valencia. I would like that.

While I got more to share, I have to stop here, now, due to character length limits.

Also, I'm certain you and the team are also adding in surprise plot twists in the very end of Book 15, because, I'm used to seeing them where what many think the end is what they thought after reading your letter & misconceiving about the arc's state, it's really not the end, because there's always a cliffhanger point you manage to pull out in the end, leaving the current arc & us waiting towards the next Book to come. I'm sure you've read Blind Mew's past Story Threads about the 1st story arc's target course of 20 Books, that is, if you've time to do it, & I know you want to get that original course going as I &/or others do. And I'm sure the 1st of Kane's Epic Battles to come will not be the last. Sneaky is like Sneaky does, hmm?

Captain
May 16, 2011
552
Hmmm, hints, eh? Let's take a crack at 'em. I'll start from the bottom, as that one caught my eye first.

Handle all enemies with care, you could break this one!

The keyword here is "break", but it could refer to a couple things. First, there's the Armada, which when busted, do not die, but rather break. So, possibly, we've got an enemy in the final dungeon (assuming she is referring to the final dungeon) of Valencia Part 2 who's a clockwork. Perhaps an elite. Quite reasonable. Now back to "break". The most easily "breakable" enemy classes are Swashbuckler and Witchdoctor - they have the least defense and health. Meaning the elite we shall likely face is one of those two classes. Let's list some elites.

Kane - Likely a Privateer, but possibly a Swashbuckler, but it's not likely he'll be beat that easily
Queen - Likely a Swashbuckler, but still, she should be a tough enemy
Bishop - A Witchdoctor, who while fits the bill, was just recently seen in Marleybone
Phule - Likely a Witchdoctor, but possibly a Privateer

Phule fits the description quite well, I think. He probably is easily broken, being a Witchdoctor and a clockwork. So, there's a good chance a (if not final) boss of the Valencia Part 2 final dungeon is Phule. We'll make a Phule out of him in time.

Something very swift will stick around

Something swift...... those classes are Musketeer and Swashbuckler. We've destroyed Deacon, the only Musketeer elite. At least I think he is. However, based upon how quickly an Armada Dragoon perhaps as strong as Rooke was rebuilt very quickly, Deacon could be rebuilt by now. That's not very likely, as the hint says it'll stick around, for Deacon to be rebuilt and we don't destroy him doesn't seem right.

Okay, so Swashbuckler could mean Kane or Queen. For us to fight one and for them to stay around to fight us again is certainly possible. Queen, I believe, will be a Swashbuckler, and it's likely she won't just appear to be broken. I want her to come back.

To be continued......

Captain
May 16, 2011
552
Continued......

So, then, we've got Kane, who we remember as the "Strongest, smartest, and fastest" clockwork. Swifter than a swashbuckler? Very fast, then. Kane should definitely stick around, as he's sturdy, and not broken very easily.

So, it's possible the final dungeon has at least two elites, likely Phule and Queen. Or Kane. One will be destroyed, one won't. Progress.

If you're feeling lonely, you can still hunt for something shiny

What have we here? Lonely likely means no friends on, and when you want to progress, you play solo. Meaning we've got some sort of solo section. Somewhere. With a shiny, powerful drop? I don't have any more leads on this one.

These are interesting hints, which I hope pertain to the finale of Valencia Part 2. (I haven't played all of the test realm content yet)

~ Hank

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
146
Just wanted to say Thank You to you and the rest of the team Falmea. You might be hearing a lot of compliments and a lot of complains in the next week, but I just wanted to take this small time to say thank you for getting this update out. I'm personally satisfied. Having something new to do in the spiral feels so refreshing. Will you believe me if I told you I have already quested 4 different pirates through it? I just love it that much.

You won't be hearing me complain too much any time soon. Thank you for this amazing update.

-Alex Deathflame

Ensign
Feb 11, 2012
8
Note: This post has spoilers, so read at your own risk.

Any plans to make Hande a refightable boss, like Cadmus?
Also, the struggle is real. So many enemies can use Assasin's Strike and Vicious Charge.
While I'm glad for Riposte 3, swashies don't get a new power? And Privies can get a 100% attack boost for the entire team? I foresee that Swashies are gonna be lower down on the leaderboards soon.
And finally, yay! We finally know our mother's name, and have her diary.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
2019
TheFarReach on May 22, 2016 wrote:
Note: This post has spoilers, so read at your own risk.

Any plans to make Hande a refightable boss, like Cadmus?
Also, the struggle is real. So many enemies can use Assasin's Strike and Vicious Charge.
While I'm glad for Riposte 3, swashies don't get a new power? And Privies can get a 100% attack boost for the entire team? I foresee that Swashies are gonna be lower down on the leaderboards soon.
And finally, yay! We finally know our mother's name, and have her diary.
Let's not forget, Musketeers should also have a new power, too. All they get is upgraded Epics.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9190
I am enjoying the new book. The new NPCs and Contessa - KI artists and animators have grown with this game and everything looks FANTASTIC!
No Zeke quest?
No crafting?
Will these be among the things being kept back or must I wait a little longer for one of my favorite activities to come to us pirates?
"If you're lonely" Will there be a new side quest for another companion?
"Something swift will stick around" I think this may refer to the Valencian Steed mount ( or it could be a pet? )
Not going to touch the last hint, I may have a few ideas, but they contain "spoiler", nope I don't want to spoil thing for anyone!

Captain
May 16, 2011
552
Thunder Hawk on May 21, 2016 wrote:
Continued......

So, then, we've got Kane, who we remember as the "Strongest, smartest, and fastest" clockwork. Swifter than a swashbuckler? Very fast, then. Kane should definitely stick around, as he's sturdy, and not broken very easily.

So, it's possible the final dungeon has at least two elites, likely Phule and Queen. Or Kane. One will be destroyed, one won't. Progress.

If you're feeling lonely, you can still hunt for something shiny

What have we here? Lonely likely means no friends on, and when you want to progress, you play solo. Meaning we've got some sort of solo section. Somewhere. With a shiny, powerful drop? I don't have any more leads on this one.

These are interesting hints, which I hope pertain to the finale of Valencia Part 2. (I haven't played all of the test realm content yet)

~ Hank
Heh. Welp, I made a mistake, literally right after I posted this. I got to the part right before the end, and I found out that Phule is not an enemy. Heh........ So, Bishop, then?

~ Hank

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
1196
Thank you, Falmea. I am really enjoying the test realm: Valencia is beautiful and exciting!

And to add to "Thunder Hawk's" appreciation of the music: I enjoyed -with sardonic and perhaps apprehensive amusement- the repeated 'Dies Irae' motif. Lovely, yet ominous!

Petty Officer
Feb 07, 2010
66
I am a bit cconcerned with something regarding what this does to the layout of Valencia as a whole. It's no secret that the final battle here will be inside the Great Machine, and we're probably going to do something that will have nasty effects on a sizable chunk of it, but what about the windlanes going into it from Aragon skyway? (And at least one other since they're different colors.) I guess I would be more satisfied if we sailed through the Machine's interior and landed at a dock on the inside.

Ensign
Mar 28, 2009
17
Can we have another hint about this "something shiny?" You mean something in the Test Realm, right?

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
209
Thunder Hawk on May 22, 2016 wrote:
Heh. Welp, I made a mistake, literally right after I posted this. I got to the part right before the end, and I found out that Phule is not an enemy. Heh........ So, Bishop, then?

~ Hank
WHAT WHY!
You just spoiled that for me!

Captain
May 16, 2011
552
SpellBinder Darius on May 29, 2016 wrote:
WHAT WHY!
You just spoiled that for me!
Sorry about that....... Though if you can post on here, that means you could have been on the Test Realm, could you not? So why didn't you?

Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016
118
You know what I hope this big ending is,A super long dungeon where we fight Kane,Queen and....PHULE! Many of you may think "What?Phule is nothing" But I believe he is a main part of the armada.We never seen him in combat yet did we?

Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016
118
Thunder Hawk on May 29, 2016 wrote:
Sorry about that....... Though if you can post on here, that means you could have been on the Test Realm, could you not? So why didn't you?
Some people (such as myself) like to wait until the live realm.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
209
Thunder Hawk on May 29, 2016 wrote:
Sorry about that....... Though if you can post on here, that means you could have been on the Test Realm, could you not? So why didn't you?
I'm waiting for the live realm for these reasons

1. It's more finished and better that way, I'm missing on 3 puppet shows and a final ultimate battle

2. I can't help out too much with reporting bugs because Idont have much time for pirate101 right now

3. (Main reason) this update should release around my birthday when the holidays are so that I will have time to play

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
A little different take on clue #2..."something very swift will stick around"...

A clockwork Swashbuckler (swift) will decide that maybe your side is for the best of the Spiral so he opts to "stick around" with you... a new Clockwork Companion?
Actually, the more I think about this the more I realize this could be an answer to all three clues... a "shiny" new clockwork companion which, as we all know, do not die but they do "break".

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
TucsonWizard on Jun 1, 2016 wrote:
A little different take on clue #2..."something very swift will stick around"...

A clockwork Swashbuckler (swift) will decide that maybe your side is for the best of the Spiral so he opts to "stick around" with you... a new Clockwork Companion?
Actually, the more I think about this the more I realize this could be an answer to all three clues... a "shiny" new clockwork companion which, as we all know, do not die but they do "break".
A further musing on this subject...
If there were to be a new Clockwork companion and said companion was defeated in battle... would he have to go to "Repair-bench" rest as opposed to "Bed Rest"?

Ensign
Jun 28, 2015
1
Thunder Hawk on May 21, 2016 wrote:
Continued......

So, then, we've got Kane, who we remember as the "Strongest, smartest, and fastest" clockwork. Swifter than a swashbuckler? Very fast, then. Kane should definitely stick around, as he's sturdy, and not broken very easily.

So, it's possible the final dungeon has at least two elites, likely Phule and Queen. Or Kane. One will be destroyed, one won't. Progress.

If you're feeling lonely, you can still hunt for something shiny

What have we here? Lonely likely means no friends on, and when you want to progress, you play solo. Meaning we've got some sort of solo section. Somewhere. With a shiny, powerful drop? I don't have any more leads on this one.

These are interesting hints, which I hope pertain to the finale of Valencia Part 2. (I haven't played all of the test realm content yet)

~ Hank
Kane's body can be seen after you defeat him, and Phule has supposedly betrayed Kane so he could survive. Phule is therefore still alive, and could possibly fix Kane and take him to El Dorado. All this relies on the fact that Phule feels like helping Kane though, and it might not happen.

Bold Kestrel nightingale (musketeer) lvl 6 p101
Morgan Skybreeze (Pyromancer) lvl 20 W101