Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Easter Eggs

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Oct 13, 2012
TalonDevereaux68 on Mar 18, 2013 wrote:
Yeah, I think that all of Zeke's fetch-it quests are references to musical groups.

Skull Island - Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch
Monquista - The Gipsy Kings
Valencia - A Flock of Seagulls
Cool Ranch - The Dixie Chicks

I haven't been to the other realms yet, so I haven't a clue what those easter eggs are.
I'll add to that

Mooshu-something to do with daggers or something can't remember

Marleybone-The Rolling Stones

Aquila-don't know yet I am in Aquila I just haven't seen Prospector Zeke yet

Petty Officer
Oct 13, 2012
I found one that is fairy easy to guess the rat named Mick Dagger is probably an Easter Egg of Mick Jagger

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Someone probably already said this, but in Monquista there is a Monquistan named Jorge El Curioso, which means Curious George in Spanish, and his ship is El Hombre con un Sombrero Amarillo (or something like that) which means the man with the yellow hat. Isn't that AWESOME?! I loved Curious George as a kid :)

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Undead Tamer

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Subodai, the Swashbuckler starter, is based off of Subutai, a Mongolian strategist and warrior. The Amber Horde themselves (the band of barbarians and warriors that Subodai was exiled from) is a parody of the Golden Horde, the Mongolians.

Egg Shen and Lo Pan [the evil sorcerer from the Temple who posed as Dragon Prince] are both from Big Trouble in Little China.

Yojimbo is a 1961 Drama Thriller about a ronin/ a samurai without a master, just like Kobe who is a fallen Samoorai. Also, Kobe is not only a type of beef but also where the Yamaguchi-gumi clan of the Yakuza was based.

Kan Po sounds like Kung Pao which is a type of shrimp (the only thing I could come up with. I'm probably wrong.)

I don't have anything for Wing Chun's name, but he is a crane who fights using martial arts, and the crane is a popular name for the Jin Ji Du Li stance in Wushu, which is a sport established by the People's Republic Of China.

Also, I googled all of these because I know nothing of actual history. I did however figure out that Wing Chun was a reference to the crane stance after Blind Mew confirmed that his attitude was based off a Kung Fu Master.

Hope you have a fantastic week!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Commodore

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I may have said this before, but with all of the players using the transportalators as evidence for the next world being Krokotopia, I'd thought I should point out that, the kroks and transportalators are an Easter egg referencing the Stargate TV series and movie.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
I saw the new Hoodoo Bundle online purchase, and it says the Witchdoctor Lab is "spooky scary"
And it also sends shivers down your spine and just won't leave you be.

Mark Laveer, Traveller and Buccaneer

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
Remember the "Spanish Monquisition" homage?
Well I just realized the Monquistan that specifically says the line is dressed in the exact same outfit as in the original scene.

Mark Laveer

Ensign
Aug 13, 2014
Also, in Mooshu, you have to defeat General Tso, and the only way to defeat him is by threatening his chicken, which is ironic, because in China, General Tso's Chicken is a type of chicken.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Owls670 on Aug 14, 2015 wrote:
Also, in Mooshu, you have to defeat General Tso, and the only way to defeat him is by threatening his chicken, which is ironic, because in China, General Tso's Chicken is a type of chicken.
I'm not sure if General Tso's Chicken is a type of chicken, but it is an Americanized Chinese food.

I'm really not sure if this counts as an Easter Egg, but it's something I realised just yesterday.
On the Isle of Fetch, Marleybone, there is the dungeon known as Walkie's Hotel. To me, that is very similar to Whiskey Hotel. Using NATO's phonetic alphabet, Whiskey Hotel is actually, WH, the code name for the White House. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I think Walkie's Hotel is a reference to Whiskey Hotel or the White House.

If anybody has any counter ideas, please let me know.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2014
Owls670 on Aug 14, 2015 wrote:
Coolio!

Ensign
Aug 13, 2014
CdeWinter on Aug 16, 2015 wrote:
I'm not sure if General Tso's Chicken is a type of chicken, but it is an Americanized Chinese food.

I'm really not sure if this counts as an Easter Egg, but it's something I realised just yesterday.
On the Isle of Fetch, Marleybone, there is the dungeon known as Walkie's Hotel. To me, that is very similar to Whiskey Hotel. Using NATO's phonetic alphabet, Whiskey Hotel is actually, WH, the code name for the White House. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I think Walkie's Hotel is a reference to Whiskey Hotel or the White House.

Thx for correcting me

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Aug 16, 2015 wrote:

I'm not sure about the Hotel, it seems a bit strained; I always thought that it referred to taking a dog for a walk , "Let's go walkies, boy!"

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Angry Orchard summons on the new Fall Champions weapon - a brand of hard cider.

Ensign
May 14, 2013
Duck Holiday is a reference to Doc Holiday from the film Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

Got a big chuckle out of that one!

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
All of the Magnificent Seven are references to real life wild-west lawmen, outlaws, and legends.

Captain Kidd, the dead goat you fight in order to clear the Cathedral in Port Regal when transitioning from Mooshu to Marleybone, is a historical reference to Captain William Kidd, a Scottish sailor and Privateer who was charged with Piracy and executed when he returned from a voyage to the Indian Ocean.

Temujin, Subodai's Crown Twin, is the birth name of Genghis Khan, famous founder of the Mongol Empire.

Sherlock Bones and Meowiarty are obvious references to Sherlock Holmes and his rival, Colin Moriarty.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
This isn't really an Easter egg, I just didn't know where to put it. Dante and I were farming Lo Pan and Lo died in a fire caused by Dante's big guns. Then, in the chest, the item we got was a pet snack called Pan Fried Banana! I was laughing so hard!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fearless Finnagan on Nov 21, 2015 wrote:
This isn't really an Easter egg, I just didn't know where to put it. Dante and I were farming Lo Pan and Lo died in a fire caused by Dante's big guns. Then, in the chest, the item we got was a pet snack called Pan Fried Banana! I was laughing so hard!
Maybe it should go in the "ironic names" thread......

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Fearless Finnagan on Nov 21, 2015 wrote:
....and the funniest part was he turned and walked into the fire killing himself and I was like he got fried and then....HE WAS!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey (Really, what is this? What does it mean? I don't remember getting an answer)

It's after me!

Ensign
Jun 05, 2013
Sneaky George Quar... on Apr 30, 2013 wrote:
there are easter eggs in the puppet shows too, like in gortez. at the part where gortez army steals the treasure from the island, theres a baby monkey that takes a huge gold statue with him. at captain gunn, fin dorsal is one of the pirates enjoying the yum. talking about yum, thats a reference to rum, a brew popular to pirates. fin dorsal is also named after part of a shark: dorsal fin. bonnie anne is a reference to bonne annie (did i get it right?). shes mentioned in famous pirates. ratbeard and catbeard are an obvious reference to blackbeard.

the monkeys paw also closely resembles the holy grail in indiana jones. in P101, the monkeys paw brings death if you choose the wrong one. in indiana jones, you need to pass 3 trials to reach the grail and there, you have to drink from the right one. drink from the wrong one and you age rapidly, similar to dying by choosing the wrong paw, however, choosing the right grail brings eternal life (or has great healing abilities. i dont remember). the monkeys paw is even a real life story including the 3 wishes. the monkeys paw seems to give the worst outcome of any wishes
it only gives the worst outcome if your heart/intentions are not pure. otherwise, it gives the best outcome. and the volcano you had to get gunn's gold from reminded me of the aperture science emergency incinerator from portal. I have no idea why. lol.

Petty Officer
Apr 04, 2015
''quest ''V for Vulpine'' (Marleybone)
V for Vendetta.
Guy Fox, Guy Fawkes.
Bonnie Anne. Anne Bonny
I could go along all day..

Petty Officer
Apr 04, 2015
Alll Magnificent Seven, companions are based off real persons too.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
I was watching the classic noir film, The Maltese Falcon, and I came across a character named Joel Cairo. Then I realized p101 did a reference to the film in a quest called The Mooshu falcon, where Joey Karo is the boss! The even did the "You imbecile, You hulking Fathead! I ruined!" routine! Well done, KI!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fearless Finnagan on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
I was watching the classic noir film, The Maltese Falcon, and I came across a character named Joel Cairo. Then I realized p101 did a reference to the film in a quest called The Mooshu falcon, where Joey Karo is the boss! The even did the "You imbecile, You hulking Fathead! I ruined!" routine! Well done, KI!
I thought everyone knew that film, one of my favorites! The actor also did a more than passable impression of Peter Lorre.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Here's another Easter Egg that I just found.
At the end of Aquila, Hercules refers to Marleybone as Barleycorn.
One of Captain William Kidd's associates was a Richard Barleycorn, who was also tried for piracy but pardoned at the same time that Captain Kidd was tried and executed.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Feb 1, 2016 wrote:
Here's another Easter Egg that I just found.
At the end of Aquila, Hercules refers to Marleybone as Barleycorn.
One of Captain William Kidd's associates was a Richard Barleycorn, who was also tried for piracy but pardoned at the same time that Captain Kidd was tried and executed.
Well, that is interesting. I thought the reference to 'Barleycorn' was more a reference to those jolly 17th C. songs of England such as "John Barleycorn must die" (it is jolly, trust me. Well, sort of...) and "A Little Barleycorn" (definitely jolly)... and because it makes a silly rhyming scheme