Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A post about P101's "Standstill Status"...

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
This post is for KI members to read, and the people who have had their patience tested about P101's slow updates.

OK, I have enjoyed P101 for a long time, and I have enjoyed many adventures, but plenty have gotten very concerned about P101 always going into the "Standstill Status", which meant being inactive without content updates for a while, and that brought concern & drove some to leave until they see new content updates at the pace they used to see before.

Now, plenty have been patient about that, yes, & that has been going on in such a long time, but, lately, it's been getting more and more tougher to them, and that's still concerning about P101's present state.

When we were in that long hiatus about Book 15, KI brought that to us, but despite the anticipation, it came out with a very abrupt story with an abrupt ending. Some weren't satisfied with that Book's present status, even me, but getting that out was what KI needed to get the P101 updates going again, & I understood that.

The one other reason P101's updates have been at a standstill lately is because many people at KI have been centering their focus on bringing more content updates to W101 a lot, & apparently less on P101, and that's concerning to the people who played P101.

We know KI has their MMO Live Team, but that team's mostly doing W101 updates, & that brought P101's updates slowed down to a crawl, and they do have their mobile games team that has been making mobile games, but even that still kept people waiting long.

Now, this post is to give motivation and the will for the people to keep spreading the word about P101 and for KI to focus a bit more on bringing P101 updates, even though Blind Mew said they need more players onboard to do it. Well, it's no problem. Spreading word is the key, but we still need to put some more oomph on it to succeed and keep P101 going.

I ask of KI, even though they're still working on W101 updates, to keep focusing more on P101 updates a bit more frequently, even if it's little at a time. I really hope that can be done soon. I yearn for more nautical journeys in this corner o' the Spiral! No rush, though. We don't want them to be abrupt on content updates.

We all need to stay strong, keep spreading the word, and regain P101 the thrill and excitement it apparently lost a while ago. We can still do this, people! For P101! Yar!!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Trimond297 on Sep 9, 2018 wrote:
This post is for KI members to read, and the people who have had their patience tested about P101's slow updates.

OK, I have enjoyed P101 for a long time, and I have enjoyed many adventures, but plenty have gotten very concerned about P101 always going into the "Standstill Status", which meant being inactive without content updates for a while, and that brought concern & drove some to leave until they see new content updates at the pace they used to see before.

Now, plenty have been patient about that, yes, & that has been going on in such a long time, but, lately, it's been getting more and more tougher to them, and that's still concerning about P101's present state.

When we were in that long hiatus about Book 15, KI brought that to us, but despite the anticipation, it came out with a very abrupt story with an abrupt ending. Some weren't satisfied with that Book's present status, even me, but getting that out was what KI needed to get the P101 updates going again, & I understood that.

The one other reason P101's updates have been at a standstill lately is because many people at KI have been centering their focus on bringing more content updates to W101 a lot, & apparently less on P101, and that's concerning to the people who played P101.

We know KI has their MMO Live Team, but that team's mostly doing W101 updates, & that brought P101's updates slowed down to a crawl, and they do have their mobile games team that has been making mobile games, but even that still kept people waiting long.

Now, this post is to give motivation and the will for the people to keep spreading the word about P101 and for KI to focus a bit more on bringing P101 updates, even though Blind Mew said they need more players onboard to do it. Well, it's no problem. Spreading word is the key, but we still need to put some more oomph on it to succeed and keep P101 going.

I ask of KI, even though they're still working on W101 updates, to keep focusing more on P101 updates a bit more frequently, even if it's little at a time. I really hope that can be done soon. I yearn for more nautical journeys in this corner o' the Spiral! No rush, though. We don't want them to be abrupt on content updates.

We all need to stay strong, keep spreading the word, and regain P101 the thrill and excitement it apparently lost a while ago. We can still do this, people! For P101! Yar!!!
I'm one of those long time players who is now losing patience with KingsIsle's apparent lack of dedication to this game.

If they gave one tenth of the attention to P101 that they give to W101, their gamer numbers would be up. If they even gave us a new pack or bundle, ( like in W101, where they get a pack or bundle almost every month ), more players would return.
Why should we players encourage others to return or get new players to a game that hasn't had a serious update in 2 years and before that, a lack of story content for 3?
Those of us who are still playing have shown our support - it's time for KI to get in gear for this game and show the same support for us!
And share news of what's coming to P101 the same way they're willing to share with W101 gamers! Enough of this silence!
Rah, Rah, tired of being a cheerleader for a team that doesn't care about it's fans.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Just call me Linus and join me here in the Pumpkin Patch. It's very sincere, and the more we believe, the greater the chance that the Great Pumpkin will rise up and shower us with gifts!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Sep 11, 2018 wrote:
Just call me Linus and join me here in the Pumpkin Patch. It's very sincere, and the more we believe, the greater the chance that the Great Pumpkin will rise up and shower us with gifts!

And I suppose you'll be standing on that pitching mound saying: "Just wait until next year!" Meanwhile KI, like Lucy, will be pulling the football out from us while we go "ARRRRGH!"

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Sep 11, 2018 wrote:
And I suppose you'll be standing on that pitching mound saying: "Just wait until next year!" Meanwhile KI, like Lucy, will be pulling the football out from us while we go "ARRRRGH!"
Oh, no, anecorbie! You're the one I depend on to jolly me out of my frustration at the glacial pace of updates to P101.

I'm so sorry I rubbed off on you. Let's try one more chorus of "Knees Up Mother Brown" and see if we can't bear to be patient just a smidgen longer.

Fee

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Trimond297 on Sep 9, 2018 wrote:

I've said before and I'll say it again. It was a very bad decision to abruptly end the arc 1 storyline in Book 15. Pirate101 clearly needed the story to be stretched out to Book 20 as originally intended (or even more). Behind even more paywalls, if need be.

It made no sense to quickly end the story and leave us hanging for two years. I originally figured they wanted to quickly end arc 1 to get a new writer or story into the mix.....but that has clearly not been the case.

It's almost if they don't want to be committed to a storyline arc at all.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Oran from Urz on Sep 18, 2018 wrote:
I've said before and I'll say it again. It was a very bad decision to abruptly end the arc 1 storyline in Book 15. Pirate101 clearly needed the story to be stretched out to Book 20 as originally intended (or even more). Behind even more paywalls, if need be.

It made no sense to quickly end the story and leave us hanging for two years. I originally figured they wanted to quickly end arc 1 to get a new writer or story into the mix.....but that has clearly not been the case.

It's almost if they don't want to be committed to a storyline arc at all.
I sorta feel the same. I really was looking forward to the multiple encounters with Kane before the supposed final battle in El Dorado. I've pictured him going through many transformations in that final battle, including his final form being a giant golden behemoth that would apparently be indestructible until we discover the one and only way to truly destroy him once and for all.

I would have also seen Valencia completely under Kane's control as the new King when we were away and Skull Island under the Armada's iron grip when they took over while we were away to get the rest of Marco Pollo's Map. Able would have been a neat weapon to use against Kane to infiltrate the Machine itself. I really liked it.

Yes, I know it made no sense to end the arc at Book 15, because when I went through it, all I could think about was, "What? Is this going too fast? I don't understand!", "This doesn't make any sense. Why is everything somehow shortened?". I had such excitement, ambitions, and hopes for the arc to see the supposed conclusion to the very end.

To quote Blind Mew's words about his reason to abruptly end the arc...

"I want to be able to move on from here with a cleaner slate, without the momentum of those huge previous books pushing on the story."

He presumed that would be the previous unresolved matters seen in past Books, but those could've been resolved through side content updates overtime while new Books were made in-between. Really.

If you ask me, Book 15 seriously needs a rewrite to restart the story arc's pace where it abruptly ended and have a proper conclusion. Don't think it's completely impossible for that to be done. That's apparently the only logical decision for KI to do. I mean, I do like the companions we get, but the overall storyline in that Book needs redoing big time to regain the purpose the arc had.

Who agrees to this? It'll be a lot of work, and plan changing, yes, but, rewriting Book 15 is apparently the only choice for them.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I almost wish Blind Mew hadn't given us the gist of what was left out. I agree that even if it WAS slow, those of us who love the game wouldn't have minded. One of the main things I love about these Kingsisle games is the story -- especially our adventurous pirate story.

I don't know if a rewrite is possible. I don't know what to even hope for any more, since we only really hear recaps of what has been happening rather than any hints or teasers of things to come.

@Bat Masterson - any reason to tune in to KI Live?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Trimond297 on Sep 21, 2018 wrote:
I sorta feel the same. I really was looking forward to the multiple encounters with Kane before the supposed final battle in El Dorado. I've pictured him going through many transformations in that final battle, including his final form being a giant golden behemoth that would apparently be indestructible until we discover the one and only way to truly destroy him once and for all.

I would have also seen Valencia completely under Kane's control as the new King when we were away and Skull Island under the Armada's iron grip when they took over while we were away to get the rest of Marco Pollo's Map. Able would have been a neat weapon to use against Kane to infiltrate the Machine itself. I really liked it.

Yes, I know it made no sense to end the arc at Book 15, because when I went through it, all I could think about was, "What? Is this going too fast? I don't understand!", "This doesn't make any sense. Why is everything somehow shortened?". I had such excitement, ambitions, and hopes for the arc to see the supposed conclusion to the very end.

To quote Blind Mew's words about his reason to abruptly end the arc...

"I want to be able to move on from here with a cleaner slate, without the momentum of those huge previous books pushing on the story."

He presumed that would be the previous unresolved matters seen in past Books, but those could've been resolved through side content updates overtime while new Books were made in-between. Really.

If you ask me, Book 15 seriously needs a rewrite to restart the story arc's pace where it abruptly ended and have a proper conclusion. Don't think it's completely impossible for that to be done. That's apparently the only logical decision for KI to do. I mean, I do like the companions we get, but the overall storyline in that Book needs redoing big time to regain the purpose the arc had.

Who agrees to this? It'll be a lot of work, and plan changing, yes, but, rewriting Book 15 is apparently the only choice for them.
I don't think that book 15 should be re-written, it's over & done. Let's move on to a new story.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have greatly lamented Pirate101's becalmed status. We have been in the doldrums for a long time, and many of our less hearty crew mates are no longer with us as a consequence. Occasional puffs of wind have kept some of us going, but I yearn for the day when I see our sails fully bellowing above us.

The recent issuing of a yum ration helps, but we are still parched.

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
If you go back excavating threads from before the release of that chapter, you will find that the clamor for the release of new storyline content was pretty much universal. Pretty much everyone was tired of waiting. They really needed to release something to appease the mob (which certainly included me).

-Indigo

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
I as well would like KI to tell us for sure if we are getting a STORY update. I mean I do love the quest finder without a doubt this game even more than wizard required it.

But while i just recently returned to pirate 101, I would really love to know if KI intends to continue the story and when they are estimating a new story update to come out.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
In Search of Yum on Sep 24, 2018 wrote:
I as well would like KI to tell us for sure if we are getting a STORY update. I mean I do love the quest finder without a doubt this game even more than wizard required it.

But while i just recently returned to pirate 101, I would really love to know if KI intends to continue the story and when they are estimating a new story update to come out.
If you compare the end of Wizard101's arc 1 and arc 2 to the end of Pirate101's arc 1, none of them ended with a "The End?"....which is odd if you ask me.

Unlike Wizard101, which gets a confirmed story update assurance every year, Pirate101 typically does not.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Oran from Urz on Sep 25, 2018 wrote:
If you compare the end of Wizard101's arc 1 and arc 2 to the end of Pirate101's arc 1, none of them ended with a "The End?"....which is odd if you ask me.

Unlike Wizard101, which gets a confirmed story update assurance every year, Pirate101 typically does not.
Very true... I wonder if the "powers that be" are surprised that there are still enough players hanging in here to warrant keeping minimal support for it. They don't want to promise anything because they only allow a tiny amount of time for anyone to work on it, so it's in this limbo of... "we're charting our course."

I was just in the Party Room, thinking how little it's changed since being introduced as this exciting place where pirates from all over could get together and hang out. They kind of promised it would be updated with holiday and seasonal decor, but it's still the Tiki Party from summer. There really isn't any reason for anyone to visit, much less hang out there, so it fizzled very soon after being introduced.There is one chest that occasionally spawns, but gives miniscule rewards - eh. Decius has probably got far too much on his plate to worry about updating the Party Room, but why isn't is somebody's job?

Birthday month and Halloween are coming -- hopefully, some fun new surprises as well.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Willowydream on Sep 25, 2018 wrote:
Very true... I wonder if the "powers that be" are surprised that there are still enough players hanging in here to warrant keeping minimal support for it. They don't want to promise anything because they only allow a tiny amount of time for anyone to work on it, so it's in this limbo of... "we're charting our course."

I was just in the Party Room, thinking how little it's changed since being introduced as this exciting place where pirates from all over could get together and hang out. They kind of promised it would be updated with holiday and seasonal decor, but it's still the Tiki Party from summer. There really isn't any reason for anyone to visit, much less hang out there, so it fizzled very soon after being introduced.There is one chest that occasionally spawns, but gives miniscule rewards - eh. Decius has probably got far too much on his plate to worry about updating the Party Room, but why isn't is somebody's job?

Birthday month and Halloween are coming -- hopefully, some fun new surprises as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Wizard101 10th anniversary video part 3 that just came out, but a part of me was shocked on just how many Pirate101 developers are committed to Wizard101 right now. Blind Mew - the all time story teller (in any video game, in my opinion) is the man behind (at least) the Empyrea story line. Decius, who I wrongly assumed was one of the only Pirate101 dedicated developers, is clearly focused on Wizard101.

With so many Pirate101 developers working to get Empyrea part 2 out in the next month or two, I doubt Pirate101 will have a reveal for a major content update next month. Hopefully, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Oran from Urz on Sep 26, 2018 wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed the Wizard101 10th anniversary video part 3 that just came out, but a part of me was shocked on just how many Pirate101 developers are committed to Wizard101 right now. Blind Mew - the all time story teller (in any video game, in my opinion) is the man behind (at least) the Empyrea story line. Decius, who I wrongly assumed was one of the only Pirate101 dedicated developers, is clearly focused on Wizard101.

With so many Pirate101 developers working to get Empyrea part 2 out in the next month or two, I doubt Pirate101 will have a reveal for a major content update next month. Hopefully, I'm pleasantly surprised.
Same thoughts here, but we don't know what a typical developers day/week looks like. I picture that they ALL focus on Wizard101 for 90% of the time, and then Pirate101 for a bit when they can, simply because Wizard101 is the upper-management's focus with the 10 year celebration and Empyrea 2. I am continually hoping that those who started on the Pirate team keep a small bit of love for this side of the Spiral in their hearts and on their computers.

Can we even imagine Pirate101 slowly but surely making it to 10 years? Who thought we would be completing six? Hopefully, year SEVEN will bring us new story.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011

Would you specify them in one list? I'm still shocked that they're still focused on W101 with Empyrea II.

I really hope that with W101's story arc 3's conclusion set in Empyrea II will have them focus back to P101 and have KI bring in some more people to work on W101's updates. They should not leave us in the dark for long.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
In Search of Yum on Sep 25, 2018 wrote:
Um Party Room?
The Party Room is a housing addition in the Crown Shop, just place it in your homes ( or ship ). It's a unique space that links to everyone who has a Party Room equipped. It's a nice way to meet friends or strangers. There's a chest that spawns ( fairly ) frequently and sometimes a Group Plunder Chest will show up.
Decorations change according to seasons.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

They merged the teams, there are no longer writers, developers, etc. devoted to one game or the other, IMO, this is what has made our game lag in updates.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Trimond297 on Sep 26, 2018 wrote:
Would you specify them in one list? I'm still shocked that they're still focused on W101 with Empyrea II.

I really hope that with W101's story arc 3's conclusion set in Empyrea II will have them focus back to P101 and have KI bring in some more people to work on W101's updates. They should not leave us in the dark for long.
Pretty much everyone featured in the Empyrea part 2 video is also a Pirate101 developer, except for one person. However, below is the list as requested. This is simply a comparison of the developers featured in the video to the Pirate101 credits for 2016 (the last time the Pirate101 team was credited).

Pirate101 writers:
Sam Johnson, aka Blind Mew
Mike Sears

Pirate101 designers:
Joel White, aka Decius
Nathan Sumsion
Jared Banks
Katie Roberts

Fully understand if art/sound/QA/CM/Producers/etc are working both games, just find it odd that writers and designers, (programmers?) are heavily involved in Wizard101. Seems like more evidence of the KI MMO team merge impact on Pirate101.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Willowydream on Sep 26, 2018 wrote:
Same thoughts here, but we don't know what a typical developers day/week looks like. I picture that they ALL focus on Wizard101 for 90% of the time, and then Pirate101 for a bit when they can, simply because Wizard101 is the upper-management's focus with the 10 year celebration and Empyrea 2. I am continually hoping that those who started on the Pirate team keep a small bit of love for this side of the Spiral in their hearts and on their computers.

Can we even imagine Pirate101 slowly but surely making it to 10 years? Who thought we would be completing six? Hopefully, year SEVEN will bring us new story.

Maybe a future KI Live could show a behind the scenes look at how the MMO team conducts business? (a day in the life of designing two games???)

I have no issue with the MMO team surging for Wizard101's 10th anniversary. It's a big event and deserves an "all hands" treatment. What I have issue with is that Pirate101 hasn't received similar treatment since May 2013 when Aquila and Marleybone were released. A five year anniversary is a big deal too, but last years event didn't bring an "all hands" type feel.

KI has hinted that something is coming to Pirate101 later this year. I'm just tampering expectations given the major involvement of the entire MMO team to Wizard101 over the last few months.

.....I also secretly hope they will go back to two separate teams for Wizard101 and Pirate101 (even if the Pirate team is much smaller compared to Wizard).

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Oran from Urz on Sep 27, 2018 wrote:
Maybe a future KI Live could show a behind the scenes look at how the MMO team conducts business? (a day in the life of designing two games???)

I have no issue with the MMO team surging for Wizard101's 10th anniversary. It's a big event and deserves an "all hands" treatment. What I have issue with is that Pirate101 hasn't received similar treatment since May 2013 when Aquila and Marleybone were released. A five year anniversary is a big deal too, but last years event didn't bring an "all hands" type feel.

KI has hinted that something is coming to Pirate101 later this year. I'm just tampering expectations given the major involvement of the entire MMO team to Wizard101 over the last few months.

.....I also secretly hope they will go back to two separate teams for Wizard101 and Pirate101 (even if the Pirate team is much smaller compared to Wizard).
I agree completely, although I think even if the teams couldn't be separated, the time allocation needs to be more balanced. I think that having the design team working on both games does give everyone - staff and players - a better sense of the Spiral as a cohesive whole.

I remember some Wizard101 players who were outraged when the B.O.X.E.S. event in that game featured a Skull Island visit, but for those who didn't have a predisposed dislike of pirates, it's a fun experience. More inclusion of pirate locations and lore wouldn't hurt Wizard101 and could only help Pirate101's exposure to that community.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Oran from Urz on Sep 27, 2018 wrote:
Pretty much everyone featured in the Empyrea part 2 video is also a Pirate101 developer, except for one person. However, below is the list as requested. This is simply a comparison of the developers featured in the video to the Pirate101 credits for 2016 (the last time the Pirate101 team was credited).

Pirate101 writers:
Sam Johnson, aka Blind Mew
Mike Sears

Pirate101 designers:
Joel White, aka Decius
Nathan Sumsion
Jared Banks
Katie Roberts

Fully understand if art/sound/QA/CM/Producers/etc are working both games, just find it odd that writers and designers, (programmers?) are heavily involved in Wizard101. Seems like more evidence of the KI MMO team merge impact on Pirate101.
Same. That move was necessary to keep making updates to both games, but the P101 devs' focus on W101 did had an impact on P101's updates. That brought P101's updates' slow, standstill state that game still is in today.

Really still hope KI may get them to focus back to making more P101 updates once Empyrea II gets done and hire more people to focus on W101's updates, even though they still try to hire people to work on the Mobile industry.