Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

PvP

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 21, 2008
Oops. I should have been more specific.

Yes, we will (eventually) add arena-style PvP, a match-making system similar to the one in Wizard101. I would love it to include the capacity for both broadside and deckside combat... we'll see.

No, we won't add open-world style PvP, in either game.

I have a lot of experience in this area, and I know the pros and the cons extremely well. I don't feel like "open world PvP" is appropriate for our gameplay, or our community. I would rather spend those efforts on improving our match-making system, or looking at new extensions (like tournaments or ladder systems.)

Sorry for the confusion.

JTC

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
jtoddcoleman on Aug 23, 2012 wrote:

Yes, we will (eventually) add arena-style PvP, a match-making system similar to the one in Wizard101. I would love it to include the capacity for both broadside and deckside combat... we'll see.

I have a lot of experience in this area, and I know the pros and the cons extremely well. I don't feel like "open world PvP" is appropriate for our gameplay, or our community. I would rather spend those efforts on improving our match-making system, or looking at new extensions (like tournaments or ladder systems.)

Sorry for the confusion.

JTC
An official ladder?

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
In some instances we get boss battles with directives other than defeat all enemies.. is it possible this could be a PvP option also?

I think the mechanic could make for some REALLY fun capture the flag type scenarios.

I'd love to have a team of friends trying to capture/defend an objective against an opposing team, it just sounds like a blast.

Ensign
Nov 26, 2010
duelistNick on Aug 24, 2012 wrote:
In some instances we get boss battles with directives other than defeat all enemies.. is it possible this could be a PvP option also?

I think the mechanic could make for some REALLY fun capture the flag type scenarios.

I'd love to have a team of friends trying to capture/defend an objective against an opposing team, it just sounds like a blast.
That would be really amazing - I think emphasizing the "Board Game" aspect of this battle style in PvP would make it all the more fun and enjoyable.

Ensign
Sep 11, 2009

I love this idea, different types of PvP. More options, love the idea of not always doing the same battle all the time. It would be kind of like the different race tracks for pet racing in w101. But much better.

Pick the type of pvp you want to join. I like it.

Ensign
Jun 08, 2009
My suggestion would be this: 2 separate ways to PvP: One would be something like an Arena. To make it fit, it would be something like a brawl taking place in taverns and marketplaces from various worlds. You register at a table in the corner of a special Tavern called the Brawling Boars. It would be pretty much the same as Wizard101 PvP registration. The other would be the Battling Bandits Skyway. Open roaming area with a central Marketplace Island where Free-for-all PvP between ships takes place (It would be designated in to brackets to make it fair. Level 10 Pirates enter the level 10 version, level 20's have the 20 version, etc). So, everyone can do which kind they want, or both.

Ensign
Apr 27, 2012
Ahoy there everyone!
I am big hater fo PvP. In W101 the whole game and the whole wizard Spiral was turned up side down just for PvP. The spells, the gear, the pets! The whole magic was destroyed (hopefully there's something left) just because PvP! Don't make PvP in P101! Please! It is un-natural for pirates to fight their questmates. I know there are ppl who play these games for the PvP but please don't destroy this so cool game ...

Ensign
Jun 07, 2010

Agreed. I believe one of the major draws that Pirate PvP could have over Wizard's is the ability for different game modes/objectives. It's system has the potential for combat variety.

Destroying/capturing certain capture points. The capture-the-flag scenario mentioned above. Maybe "VIP" matches, where defeating a certain opponent's character ends the match. Having the VIP hidden could add another layer of strategy.

Anything like that would be such a great boon to the PvP experience, in my opinion.

Ensign
Feb 10, 2011
I also like the idea of having different PvP objectives than simply "defeat all enemies".
Here's an idea for team PvP: each team has a "castle" on their side of the battleboard which is an interactable object, similar to the obstacles we see in game. The objective would be for each team to destroy the other team's castle, which would have something like 2500 health (for example).
Each team would have to figure out how to destroy the other team's castle while protecting their own. I think it could be really fun!

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
azoresgirl on Sep 6, 2012 wrote:
I also like the idea of having different PvP objectives than simply "defeat all enemies".
Here's an idea for team PvP: each team has a "castle" on their side of the battleboard which is an interactable object, similar to the obstacles we see in game. The objective would be for each team to destroy the other team's castle, which would have something like 2500 health (for example).
Each team would have to figure out how to destroy the other team's castle while protecting their own. I think it could be really fun!
I am ok with pvp. I play it in w101. I like the concept of different objectives more than defeat one or more enemies. Pirates may like/need to fight, but at the end of the day it is all about the treasure. I think raiding the enemy's castle is a great idea.

Ensign
Jul 25, 2009
Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
This sounds great! Seiging someone's castle and plundering it could be very fun - and I think it could work in broadside or battleboard combat mode.
Broadside seems like it could be interesting, trying to target your opponent's castle and avoid their ships, boarding each other and fighting it out in the sky. Maybe even being able to dock at the castle and defend there, hand to hand.
There are huge possibilities for that idea, and all of them would be fun. :D

Ensign
Feb 22, 2011
I like it! Sounds like it could be fun. :)

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
alexthersorcerer on Aug 26, 2012 wrote:
Ahoy there everyone!
I am big hater fo PvP. In W101 the whole game and the whole wizard Spiral was turned up side down just for PvP. The spells, the gear, the pets! The whole magic was destroyed (hopefully there's something left) just because PvP! Don't make PvP in P101! Please! It is un-natural for pirates to fight their questmates. I know there are ppl who play these games for the PvP but please don't destroy this so cool game ...
Just because you don't like pvp doesn't mean others do. Since you say you're such a big hater for pvp, I would like to know why you hate it so much. Pvp to me makes people think about their strategies and moves and not just attack, attack, attack. Wizard101 wasn't turned upsidedown for pvp, and it's still fun to play if you think outside the box and use your imagination.

As for the whole "it's un-natural for people to fight their questing partners" thing, that's a terrible excuse in my opinion. There are lots of people who quest but still like to do pvp with their friends for fun (i.e. pvp not to be super competitive).

Pvp won't destroy pirate101, and since the formula for p101 is allot different from wizard101, pvp will be allot different too.

Ensign
Jun 11, 2010
Darth JT on Jun 2, 2012 wrote:
Actually, I am not even Sure if KI could do this, but one Idea, is to make a PVP realm, where you can literally fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. You can also have friends join your crew, so you can have those 4v4 battles, ship battles, the whole 9 yards.
Only problem with this, it would require high levels to be in one area and low levels be in another area. And, if there is a high level on the crew, they would automatically be taken to the highest level area of the party. That would keep things balanced and fair and not allow puppet teaming.
Just my thoughts on the pvp subject.
Yes that would be fun! That way people who crave plundering could do so on their own time in a seperate area. I think that would work out splendidly. Only thing is, we would have to make it so that you never start in the PvP realm, you have to go join it. Also, that would mean that you would get to do regular battles and battling with ships. Both require different strategies.

Ensign
Dec 06, 2009
I just wanted to give my two doubloons on the issue of PvP:
In an MMO, there always needs to be the PvP aspect, otherwise an entire player market is alientated. I loved PvP in Wizard and before I unsubscribed (nothing to do with the game), PvP was the main reason to log in every day. Once a player reaches end game, they are forced to either stop playing or essentially become a chatbot.
*side note: many players crave that challange aspect that only PvP can bring.

With regard to ruining the game for others: this is a problem that many past MMOs have solved, including Wizard. Gear that is gained from PvP is spec'd for PvP only and world PvP can easily be confined to "zones" that don't take away from the gameplay of the rest of the community.
To the player who suggested that the inclusion of PvP limits the abilities of players, I am not sure I agree. The only problem I can see is that player powers need to be limited so as to avoid a "one hit knockout". My comment to this fact is that without the limitations on player abilities, then PvE would become easy as well, and I'm sure the developers have thought out how to balance out player ability with PvE. To say that players need to be mitigated for PvP purposes only becomes valid if it limits players from being successful PvE...which I have yet to come across in any MMO.

Ensign
Mar 12, 2010
Ensign
Feb 18, 2010

Capture the flag? I'm in! Love the idea! I do hope there will be ship v ship---what fun! And it seems there could be other types of competitions as well, perhaps a race to a target, an island-hopping scavenger hunt...can't wait to see what unfolds.

Ensign
Jul 25, 2011
I really wouldn't like open PVP, either. Maybe an area you can go to. I don't want to fight other players and a "bullies opportunities" should be avoided at all costs.

Ensign
Oct 27, 2009
I can't wait to give pirate pvp a shot ^^ and once wizards realize what you have here I wouldn't be surprised if large chunks of the pvp community move to pirates. After the last build I'm having a hard time finding anything that sticks out as overpowered or underpowered. I feel like a character that can get through pve would be able to just walk into pvp and would be competitive. Please preserve this ki, pretty please :). It feels awesome to be playing such a well balanced game ^^!

Ensign
Oct 29, 2011
Darth JT on Jun 2, 2012 wrote:
The problem there, is that PvP has majorly slowed the expansion of Wizard101. Without PvP, wizard101 would not have as many issues with creativity, spells, wands, gear, etc. PvP seriously limits what each school can and can't have.

This game is a bit different, so it's harder to limit it's expansion, considering there are no power pips and pips for school & secondary school spells, etc. If you train it, you can use it. The only reason I suggested the realm for PvP, is because this game specifically, is designed for such an adventure. It's like being in a Vast Ocean, sailing the Seas, and eventually, you come upon another ship. Ahoy, there be plunder a brewin, Man the Cannons!

This game is made for such a scenario and would be marvelous in such a concept. It also makes it very different for 1v1 pvp, as you don't know what companions you would get in battle with you. You might get 2 of your low level companions, while your opponent gets all 3 of his top level companions.

Yeah, will be interesting to see how this will develope into the game.
lol darth nice to see you here too.
and highly agreed.
and i wish to meet you in the spiral whats your character name?
mine is anthony mistblade lvl80-hero of avalon
and i wear pyro's carefree hat,glorious avengers robes and marvelous avengers boots along with dragon sword + gargoyle pet,no mount though
cya in the spiral!

Ensign
Jul 07, 2012
I think the pvp should be like in combat the more companions you have the better because all of your companions can be in the same fight,but to make it easyer every companion should lower level to make it shorter and fairer please reply about my idea

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
I agree it would be cool to see ships battle with cannons but actually players instead of computers would Be Nice

Arrr' Matey' Ellie Sailed By to Say Hi

- Ellie Lvl 12 Witch Doctor/5th swashbuckler

Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
jtoddcoleman on Aug 23, 2012 wrote:

Sorry for the confusion.

JTC
I'm actually very happy that there is no open-world PvP. I mean, all the rich and high-level players would go around with their tank galleons and sink newbies. I would like traditional Pirate ship PvP though.

Ensign
Oct 15, 2012
Im sorry. But whole idea with ships PvP is just non sense . Considgering that. It will be only luck/Crown shop based. Winner will be a person who will have better ship from crown shop but if already two people will have the same ships and upgrades will win person with more luck and accuracy.....