Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Playing Ranked Champions

1
AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 23, 2015
33
Why am I playing ranked champions who already have the fall pvp weapon when I am still a gladiator? You really thing that this is fair? Those of you who have already made champion congrats now go do something else Ratbeard you need to look into this and if they want to continue to pvp only play other ranked players. Seriously.

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
135
Mike888b on Oct 25, 2015 wrote:
Why am I playing ranked champions who already have the fall pvp weapon when I am still a gladiator? You really thing that this is fair? Those of you who have already made champion congrats now go do something else Ratbeard you need to look into this and if they want to continue to pvp only play other ranked players. Seriously.
Nah ill stay and do rank all I like.

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
119
Mike888b on Oct 25, 2015 wrote:
Why am I playing ranked champions who already have the fall pvp weapon when I am still a gladiator? You really thing that this is fair? Those of you who have already made champion congrats now go do something else Ratbeard you need to look into this and if they want to continue to pvp only play other ranked players. Seriously.
Well, this is a legitimate problem: Of course there are two sides to every coin:

-On one hand, players have a desire to get to champion, and some are crowns players. This becomes a problem since they spent loads of time(and possibly money) only for it to the chance for their investment to be worthwhile be taken away by the people who are members and continue to do Ranked PvP for fun(or get scrip). The main problem for this side is that the Champions will always try to win to keep said rank, therefore the Champions will always attempt to trump the lower ranks. That is not to say that the lower tiers can't defeat champions, but when facing Harry, Chris, Quentin, Wolf, and other high-tier players that I fought last season(Even though I could only get to Hero), it can be very difficult to overpower them on a consistent basis and get to what they already achieved(sometimes less than a week, but they still play to hopefully fight other champions, but they get lesser ranks instead).
-Of course, this can also be a main source of Scrip for the champions, and some are trying to get enough scrip in order to get the champion weapons, and others do it for fun of structured PvP. It would not be right to outright take ranked away from them, and sometimes there are no champions for other champions to go against.

I cannot figure a solution for this that would make the majority happy, besides a specific section for champions to do ranked PvP(require champion, can still lose rank, but has an extra reward like double scrip) however that is for Developers to decide. I am glad this was brought it up, as it has been on my mind since my struggles of season 1, however I was just too lazy and conflicted about it to bring it up. I just hope that something will be done soon, as I would like to go back into ranked PvP and not have my hopes and dreams be crushed XD

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
240
Mike888b on Oct 25, 2015 wrote:
Why am I playing ranked champions who already have the fall pvp weapon when I am still a gladiator? You really thing that this is fair? Those of you who have already made champion congrats now go do something else Ratbeard you need to look into this and if they want to continue to pvp only play other ranked players. Seriously.
This is a decent point. Then again when all of my guys hit paragon the only "ranked champions" were the purge/nausica mega bucklers who essentially create a wall stopping people from reaching the top. Granted I dont think they are TRYING to thwart other people. I believe from what I have heard they are merely trying to out do each other. See which one can have the "highest" rank by the end of the season. Much in the way wizard101 has leader boards.

Honestly I think they would all hesitate to keep doing pvp if they didn't have purge. Lol simply because their fights would be more fair and they would loose more. But why stop fighting when you KNOW you can win 90% of your matches regardless of how good your opponent is.

Personally the other champions aren't so over powered that they are un-defeatable. Still I see your point about them spoiling it for others.

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
135
Thomas Sunhammer on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
This is a decent point. Then again when all of my guys hit paragon the only "ranked champions" were the purge/nausica mega bucklers who essentially create a wall stopping people from reaching the top. Granted I dont think they are TRYING to thwart other people. I believe from what I have heard they are merely trying to out do each other. See which one can have the "highest" rank by the end of the season. Much in the way wizard101 has leader boards.

Honestly I think they would all hesitate to keep doing pvp if they didn't have purge. Lol simply because their fights would be more fair and they would loose more. But why stop fighting when you KNOW you can win 90% of your matches regardless of how good your opponent is.

Personally the other champions aren't so over powered that they are un-defeatable. Still I see your point about them spoiling it for others.
I honestly love how you are starting to rant about buckler again when this area is about Lower ranks fighting champions, I am gonna say it I don't care your bad at pvp.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9325
No, this isn't unfair at all, you are the same level experience-wise as a champion, maybe even have the same super, farmed equipment as a champion ( excluding champion weapons, of course ).
Rank will prevent a level 55 from fighting a level 35, ( for example ) that's what it's designed to do.
If a champion is in a PVP quque, looking for a match up and there are no others available, well, guess what? You ( as a Level 65 ) will be fighting another level 65 pirate regardless of PVP rank.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9325
the midnightpirate on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
I honestly love how you are starting to rant about buckler again when this area is about Lower ranks fighting champions, I am gonna say it I don't care your bad at pvp.
Don't you just love how he assumes that the champions the OP is talking about are bucklers? Then there is his very large assumption that if purge was unavailable to bucklers, they would stop PVPing; the fact is they would simply develop a new meta just as good and he would be back on the boards yelling about how "OP" the new meta is!
And, Harry, he has 3 champions. Which makes me wonder - if purge & bucklers are so impossible to beat, just how did he ( or anyone else ) make it to champion?

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
177
Honestly, This is exactly like Wizard101. During Ranked Pvp, you will encounter those of somewhat a higher level or rank than you. You need to learn to be used to it as many of the rest of us are. In wizard101, I see people such as Captain Rank and other lower ranks get matched up with Champions all the time. I do agree though that if possible, the developers of Pirate101 could make it so that we will be matched up with other players to similar skill rank when it comes to PvP. If you don't like how you are getting matched up with champions i recommend that you learn how to beat champions. It is simple really, If you have a good strategy, good gear, and tactics; you will be able to overcome any champion that you come to face in PvP. I also think that you should practice with friends at house PvP or spar chamber because then, this gives you an opportunity to be ready to face champions when it comes to ranked pvp. In terms of the weapons, i believe they are over priced with scrip although many people have them already but it usually takes a while to get that much scrip. I believe the costs could be lowered a bit, if Ratbeard does not agree with that it is fine by me, yet it is my personal opinion on the situation.

-Unfair Angel
Somewhere in Aquila
Yohoho!

Edit: My bad, In Wizard101 I meant to say Warlords instead of champions to any that may criticize me on that.

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
135
anecorbie on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
Don't you just love how he assumes that the champions the OP is talking about are bucklers? Then there is his very large assumption that if purge was unavailable to bucklers, they would stop PVPing; the fact is they would simply develop a new meta just as good and he would be back on the boards yelling about how "OP" the new meta is!
And, Harry, he has 3 champions. Which makes me wonder - if purge & bucklers are so impossible to beat, just how did he ( or anyone else ) make it to champion?
Just because some one is champ does not mean they are good he prob teamed in royale you can't lose that way,
Any way back to the topic I think the queue is ok if any thing I should be fighting even lower people if I have been in queue for about 2 hours

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
826
the midnightpirate on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
Just because some one is champ does not mean they are good he prob teamed in royale you can't lose that way,
Any way back to the topic I think the queue is ok if any thing I should be fighting even lower people if I have been in queue for about 2 hours
Since he is a champ i am giving up that title because it means nothing if someone so against an easy class can get it, i will now assume the title: Complaint Free

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
177
anecorbie on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
No, this isn't unfair at all, you are the same level experience-wise as a champion, maybe even have the same super, farmed equipment as a champion ( excluding champion weapons, of course ).
Rank will prevent a level 55 from fighting a level 35, ( for example ) that's what it's designed to do.
If a champion is in a PVP quque, looking for a match up and there are no others available, well, guess what? You ( as a Level 65 ) will be fighting another level 65 pirate regardless of PVP rank.
Exactly

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
103
anecorbie on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
No, this isn't unfair at all, you are the same level experience-wise as a champion, maybe even have the same super, farmed equipment as a champion ( excluding champion weapons, of course ).
Rank will prevent a level 55 from fighting a level 35, ( for example ) that's what it's designed to do.
If a champion is in a PVP quque, looking for a match up and there are no others available, well, guess what? You ( as a Level 65 ) will be fighting another level 65 pirate regardless of PVP rank.
Rank will prevent a level 55 from fighting a level 35, ( for example ) that's what it's designed to do.

I wish that this was true. There is some serious bugs when it comes to matching. My 65th lvl WD faced lower lvl pirates so far. I am talking about 45lvl, 26th lvl and even 16th lvl. I fell sry for those people.

My 6th lvl Bucc is facing higher lvl opponents. Out of 3 matches I played with him, 2 of them were 12th lvl Bucklers (it doesn't matter which class, six levels above my own lvl is a very huge difference in low level pvping). This is seriously concerning. Six level difference at low lvl pvp, means, double damage, double health, for both player and companions. More powers and talents. And I repeat, this were in 2 out of 3 matches.

I could level my own pirate up to 12th lvl, but who is assuring me that now I won't face 24th lvl opponent. Matching system needs to be tweaked. Few months have been since the Ranked PvP came into the live. People are starting to play again, I think that one or two month tweaking is a must in order to keep the masses interested.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9325
Duncan StormThief on Oct 27, 2015 wrote:
Rank will prevent a level 55 from fighting a level 35, ( for example ) that's what it's designed to do.

I wish that this was true. There is some serious bugs when it comes to matching. My 65th lvl WD faced lower lvl pirates so far. I am talking about 45lvl, 26th lvl and even 16th lvl. I fell sry for those people.

My 6th lvl Bucc is facing higher lvl opponents. Out of 3 matches I played with him, 2 of them were 12th lvl Bucklers (it doesn't matter which class, six levels above my own lvl is a very huge difference in low level pvping). This is seriously concerning. Six level difference at low lvl pvp, means, double damage, double health, for both player and companions. More powers and talents. And I repeat, this were in 2 out of 3 matches.

I could level my own pirate up to 12th lvl, but who is assuring me that now I won't face 24th lvl opponent. Matching system needs to be tweaked. Few months have been since the Ranked PvP came into the live. People are starting to play again, I think that one or two month tweaking is a must in order to keep the masses interested.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman
I wasn't aware of this problem, that is serious. It practically guarantees a win for the higher level and would only discourage the lower level from continuing. You're absolutely right.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Is there level brackets intended to sort the matchups? Maybe its happening because not many people are in the queue and the matchup just goes with whoever is there.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
240
What I love his how united you bucklers are at FINDING my posts and ganging up on me. Clearly one is not allowed to express their opinion without collective ridicule.

You can think I am "assuming" if you want. But I often sit in the pvp arena's. And I have seen and fought the trolls of which he has spoken. The are about 8 bucklers a witch and a few muskets that continually pvp regardless of the fact they have reach champion. Obviously for those of you who think I am "assuming" you clearly didnt read that this comes from personal experience. If the originator of this thread wants to share his own thoughts about who is stopping him and if they are different then that if fine. I am merely sharing what I have experienced.

As for the core topic. I have several friends who expressed this very issue and hit this annoying wall as well. Getting to paragon and unable to progress any further. (They too said it was mostly bucklers but feel free to keep thinking I'm the only one that feels that way) Thus far in addition to my own champions I have helped 4 different friends make it to champion as well ^_^. Either by throwing 1v1 matches and then earning back the points myself...or teaming up in royal. So by all means ridicule me for trying to address a real issue. While you nay sayers remain in denial I am actually working and helping other to over come this very issue. So I would say all this pvp experience has actually made my opinion is rather informed.

Sadly I am only one person and I cant help everyone. Which is why I post on here what the main issues are and possible suggestions on how KI can fix them (if they are so inclined.)

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
240
anecorbie on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
Don't you just love how he assumes that the champions the OP is talking about are bucklers? Then there is his very large assumption that if purge was unavailable to bucklers, they would stop PVPing; the fact is they would simply develop a new meta just as good and he would be back on the boards yelling about how "OP" the new meta is!
And, Harry, he has 3 champions. Which makes me wonder - if purge & bucklers are so impossible to beat, just how did he ( or anyone else ) make it to champion?
Just to clear up one thing. I didn't mean to imply that bucklers would "stop pvping all together" if they lost purge.
(In fact I am in the process of proving that bucklers DONT NEED purge at all to make it to champion. That...while they dont need it...having it DOES powers them even further then the level they are at without it.)

No. What I meant to imply wasn't that they would fully stop...merely that their victory's would be "less" assured and thus make pvp matches riskier because they are actually fair. And thus possibly lead to more hesitation.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
the midnightpirate on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
I honestly love how you are starting to rant about buckler again when this area is about Lower ranks fighting champions, I am gonna say it I don't care your bad at pvp.
Lol you beat me to it XD

On topic: I agree that there could be a better system in place for matching ranks better. But there are a lot of downsides you need to realize as well: what if there's hardly anyone of your rank around at the time? That increases wait times. What are ranks other than titles based off of your level of dedication and skill? If a level 55 Buckler Champion loses to a level 55 Witch Commoner (it's late, I can't remember the exact titles at the moment), and vice versa, does that count as an unfair match since their titles are different?

Level gaps in PvP shouldn't exceed 5-10 levels in my opinion between the two pirates; if you think about gear and powers and talents 5 levels alone is a rather big difference (compared to Wizard101).

Honestly, you have a really good point though. How can we balance out Ranked matches so you face someone of equal skill and level? Well the first step is to have enough competitors OF your skill and level. If there's not enough people playing at your level, then the system has to bump you up into a tougher match or sacrifice a poor beginner to Khuthulu (that be you). So long as level (Power/Talent availability) and skill are relatively fairly matched I believe the rest should be more so up to you than the system

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9325
Thomas Sunhammer on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
What I love his how united you bucklers are at FINDING my posts and ganging up on me. Clearly one is not allowed to express their opinion without collective ridicule.

You can think I am "assuming" if you want. But I often sit in the pvp arena's. And I have seen and fought the trolls of which he has spoken. The are about 8 bucklers a witch and a few muskets that continually pvp regardless of the fact they have reach champion. Obviously for those of you who think I am "assuming" you clearly didnt read that this comes from personal experience. If the originator of this thread wants to share his own thoughts about who is stopping him and if they are different then that if fine. I am merely sharing what I have experienced.

As for the core topic. I have several friends who expressed this very issue and hit this annoying wall as well. Getting to paragon and unable to progress any further. (They too said it was mostly bucklers but feel free to keep thinking I'm the only one that feels that way) Thus far in addition to my own champions I have helped 4 different friends make it to champion as well ^_^. Either by throwing 1v1 matches and then earning back the points myself...or teaming up in royal. So by all means ridicule me for trying to address a real issue. While you nay sayers remain in denial I am actually working and helping other to over come this very issue. So I would say all this pvp experience has actually made my opinion is rather informed.

Sadly I am only one person and I cant help everyone. Which is why I post on here what the main issues are and possible suggestions on how KI can fix them (if they are so inclined.)
These Champions live for PVP, its what they do. The OP has also suggested that they "go do something else" what else is there for these players to do?
They've farmed for their gear, don't need to do more. They may even helped friends in Royale ( just as you did ).
The point is unless there's someone of equal rank in the queue, they'll be matched with a lower rank/lower level also waiting - this begs a question, how long are you willing to wait for an "equal" match up?

Petty Officer
Jun 22, 2014
83
Well, the game probably tries to find another of the same rank as you, but if it can't find a matching rank, it just goes to whoever else is searching for a match. I think that is how it works.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
240
the midnightpirate on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
Just because some one is champ does not mean they are good he prob teamed in royale you can't lose that way,
Any way back to the topic I think the queue is ok if any thing I should be fighting even lower people if I have been in queue for about 2 hours
Just for the record you CAN loose in royal. Fact of the matter is most people are familiar with the team up strategy and bring friends of their own. So it becomes more of 2vs2 rather than true royal. And its very difficult to fend off too opponents while trying not to accidentally kill your ally. In fact there load of people with 2 accounts that team up with them self so their "teamwork" is flawless.

On that note, some of my champions attained the rank of champion on their own while others did indeed work together with friends. So my 3 (soon to be 4) champions are a mix of both types. :) But thanks for making assumptions then announcing it for everyone. Thats very nice of you. :/

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
103
Can you all just please stop leading the "swashbuckler is/is not OP" argument. Not every thread is about that.

This thread is about ranked PvP matching, which needs tweaking. And in order to help the devs to recognize the problem we should just stick to the subject. Otherwise the thread will be closed because it isn't constructive anymore.

Ratbeard I noticed something, a pattern. Whenever my 65 lvl WD gets matched with lower lvl pirate (it happened today), it is just after when I got the pop up that I got matched with someone, then that same person abandon the matching, and right after I got matched again and it turns out to be lower lvl pirate. This is the same behavior for previous matches when I get matched against lower lvl pirates.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
826
Thomas Sunhammer on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
What I love his how united you bucklers are at FINDING my posts and ganging up on me. Clearly one is not allowed to express their opinion without collective ridicule.

You can think I am "assuming" if you want. But I often sit in the pvp arena's. And I have seen and fought the trolls of which he has spoken. The are about 8 bucklers a witch and a few muskets that continually pvp regardless of the fact they have reach champion. Obviously for those of you who think I am "assuming" you clearly didnt read that this comes from personal experience. If the originator of this thread wants to share his own thoughts about who is stopping him and if they are different then that if fine. I am merely sharing what I have experienced.

As for the core topic. I have several friends who expressed this very issue and hit this annoying wall as well. Getting to paragon and unable to progress any further. (They too said it was mostly bucklers but feel free to keep thinking I'm the only one that feels that way) Thus far in addition to my own champions I have helped 4 different friends make it to champion as well ^_^. Either by throwing 1v1 matches and then earning back the points myself...or teaming up in royal. So by all means ridicule me for trying to address a real issue. While you nay sayers remain in denial I am actually working and helping other to over come this very issue. So I would say all this pvp experience has actually made my opinion is rather informed.

Sadly I am only one person and I cant help everyone. Which is why I post on here what the main issues are and possible suggestions on how KI can fix them (if they are so inclined.)
Im a privateer.
Lol i got to champ during the season people called my class weak, i got to champ WITHOUT using summons for the majority of my ranked 1v1 matches, fact is people who think bucklers are op are bad its simple as that, and you basically admitted you and your friends cheated, throwing matches is not how the game is supposed to be played, i now simply have no respect for you, i respect your opinion but i dont believe it holds any power anymore

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
422
Pirate Master on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
Well, the game probably tries to find another of the same rank as you, but if it can't find a matching rank, it just goes to whoever else is searching for a match. I think that is how it works.
This is exactly how it works.

The term KI used was something like, "an uneven ranked PvP match is still better than getting no match at all"

I agree with that KI statement for differences in rank, since a brawler might just have the same skill as a champion....just not as many matches. However, I disagree with large gaps in player levels getting matched together.

I typically do PvP at max level, so that isn't an issue for me. I have heard that others below level 65 will leave a queue after a certain period, given that the chances to be unevenly matched in levels increases the longer you stay in queue.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
Thomas Sunhammer on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
Just to clear up one thing. I didn't mean to imply that bucklers would "stop pvping all together" if they lost purge.
(In fact I am in the process of proving that bucklers DONT NEED purge at all to make it to champion. That...while they dont need it...having it DOES powers them even further then the level they are at without it.)

No. What I meant to imply wasn't that they would fully stop...merely that their victory's would be "less" assured and thus make pvp matches riskier because they are actually fair. And thus possibly lead to more hesitation.
Bucklers don't need Elusive either, technically, yet you seem to have no 'issue' with that. I could also make Champion without Elusive, what does that prove? That I did it. Congrats. No one ever said they 'need' Purge either.

As for the whole 'everyone's ganging up on me' complaint: if you don't want to be called out then don't open a door that's not even related to this thread. The original poster clearly stated his/her distaste in unfair Rank match-ups, NOTHING to do with Bucklers or any class. Read please, and quit hijacking the thread. Everyone else, lets leave him alone.

Now, lets all get back on track or close this thread before it turns into some other ridiculous Buckler rant all over again.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9325
Oran from Urz on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
This is exactly how it works.

The term KI used was something like, "an uneven ranked PvP match is still better than getting no match at all"

I agree with that KI statement for differences in rank, since a brawler might just have the same skill as a champion....just not as many matches. However, I disagree with large gaps in player levels getting matched together.

I typically do PvP at max level, so that isn't an issue for me. I have heard that others below level 65 will leave a queue after a certain period, given that the chances to be unevenly matched in levels increases the longer you stay in queue.
I think all of us agree that it's the players levels that should be looked at, an uneven match leaves the defeated pirate feeling frustrated and angry. never being able to find a fair match up will just cause a player to quit altogether.
A possible solution to this could be if a certain amount of time has passed ( say 15 minutes ), the player waiting in the queue gets a notice - "We have been unable to find an appropriate level match for you, do you wish to leave the queue?"
The player then has the option of leaving or staying in the queue and risk an uneven match up.

1