Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Class Shaming

1
AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
First off, I want to say that I understand the competitive nature of PvP, especially Ranked, and I understand that class complaints are a dime a dozen in all MMOs. With that said, I still want to vent.

I'm getting really tired of people complaining about this class or that, how this should be nerfed or this should be buffed etc etc. The main 'victim' in all of this seems to be Swashes, which I personally love to play as. Not just for the damage, for the companions as well. But, it seems nowadays if you're a Swash you're 'evil' or a 'scrub', which I can understand why all the hatred in the PvP realm is directed at us but come on; I was a Bucc before, I enjoyed that class but not the companions, so I switched to a class that I'm more comfortable with and now I'm 'degraded' because of my personal choice? I understand how irritating our high damage and tactics are (including the highly controversial Purge scheme going around right now), but I would like to point out how irritating every other class and their tactics are as well.

Buccs: you hit them they hit back, if they critical they get a bonus hit and they are immortal WALLS if done right. All that defense should be nerfed, since I can't one shot you.

Privy: you sit back and buff and heal, which (if done right) can make all your attacks pointless AND you have to charge across the board to take them out, which means breaking through enemy lines. Pretty cowardice and they shouldn't have so many defense buffs if they're not going to join in on the action.

Muskets: you hardly ever miss, lay out traps that can decimate if done right and can reduce our dodge to half (or even nothing). All that accuracy should be nerfed if I can't dodge your shots.

Witch: you sit back and buff and summon additional allies, increasing your forces WHILE having the most powers in the game, which means dodging your attacks is going to be pointless until you run out of spells. Take out those powers, you have your summons you don't need all that power.

You see how ridiculous all that above was? And yet, I keep hearing how our Hides need to be nerfed or how our damage should be nerfed, completely defeating the purpose of the entire class. News flash kids: Kingsisle has explicitly stated that they WILL NOT nerf any class, they will BUFF weaker classes but they will NOT nerf; knock it off with all the pointless, selfish complaints already. This game is about tactics, everything in this game is counter-able. Start learning the ropes, practicing better strategies or quit complaining, because asking for nerfs is no better than asking to bend the game to your convenience, which is no better than cheating (exceptions include [example]: the Fin Goggles granting Scent long ago, which isn't actually a nerf but a correction).

Rant over, sorry I just needed to get that all out of my system. I enjoy my Swash and I hate being frowned upon because of it, just needed to make my voice heard on the matter.

Until Next Time
Wolf
Proud Lvl. 40

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
331
Nightblood1995 on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
First off, I want to say that I understand the competitive nature of PvP, especially Ranked, and I understand that class complaints are a dime a dozen in all MMOs. With that said, I still want to vent.

I'm getting really tired of people complaining about this class or that, how this should be nerfed or this should be buffed etc etc. The main 'victim' in all of this seems to be Swashes, which I personally love to play as. Not just for the damage, for the companions as well. But, it seems nowadays if you're a Swash you're 'evil' or a 'scrub', which I can understand why all the hatred in the PvP realm is directed at us but come on; I was a Bucc before, I enjoyed that class but not the companions, so I switched to a class that I'm more comfortable with and now I'm 'degraded' because of my personal choice? I understand how irritating our high damage and tactics are (including the highly controversial Purge scheme going around right now), but I would like to point out how irritating every other class and their tactics are as well.

Buccs: you hit them they hit back, if they critical they get a bonus hit and they are immortal WALLS if done right. All that defense should be nerfed, since I can't one shot you.

Privy: you sit back and buff and heal, which (if done right) can make all your attacks pointless AND you have to charge across the board to take them out, which means breaking through enemy lines. Pretty cowardice and they shouldn't have so many defense buffs if they're not going to join in on the action.

Muskets: you hardly ever miss, lay out traps that can decimate if done right and can reduce our dodge to half (or even nothing). All that accuracy should be nerfed if I can't dodge your shots.

Witch: you sit back and buff and summon additional allies, increasing your forces WHILE having the most powers in the game, which means dodging your attacks is going to be pointless until you run out of spells. Take out those powers, you have your summons you don't need all that power.

You see how ridiculous all that above was? And yet, I keep hearing how our Hides need to be nerfed or how our damage should be nerfed, completely defeating the purpose of the entire class. News flash kids: Kingsisle has explicitly stated that they WILL NOT nerf any class, they will BUFF weaker classes but they will NOT nerf; knock it off with all the pointless, selfish complaints already. This game is about tactics, everything in this game is counter-able. Start learning the ropes, practicing better strategies or quit complaining, because asking for nerfs is no better than asking to bend the game to your convenience, which is no better than cheating (exceptions include [example]: the Fin Goggles granting Scent long ago, which isn't actually a nerf but a correction).

Rant over, sorry I just needed to get that all out of my system. I enjoy my Swash and I hate being frowned upon because of it, just needed to make my voice heard on the matter.

Until Next Time
Wolf
Proud Lvl. 40
I just want to point out that you have not had the chance to pvp with your class's best power, Black Fog, so you don't exactly have a first hand look at it. However, I don't really think that swashbucklers are really that OP anymore, as each class has been buffed up quite a bit.

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
119
Nightblood1995 on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
First off, I want to say that I understand the competitive nature of PvP, especially Ranked, and I understand that class complaints are a dime a dozen in all MMOs. With that said, I still want to vent.

I'm getting really tired of people complaining about this class or that, how this should be nerfed or this should be buffed etc etc. The main 'victim' in all of this seems to be Swashes, which I personally love to play as. Not just for the damage, for the companions as well. But, it seems nowadays if you're a Swash you're 'evil' or a 'scrub', which I can understand why all the hatred in the PvP realm is directed at us but come on; I was a Bucc before, I enjoyed that class but not the companions, so I switched to a class that I'm more comfortable with and now I'm 'degraded' because of my personal choice? I understand how irritating our high damage and tactics are (including the highly controversial Purge scheme going around right now), but I would like to point out how irritating every other class and their tactics are as well.

Buccs: you hit them they hit back, if they critical they get a bonus hit and they are immortal WALLS if done right. All that defense should be nerfed, since I can't one shot you.

Privy: you sit back and buff and heal, which (if done right) can make all your attacks pointless AND you have to charge across the board to take them out, which means breaking through enemy lines. Pretty cowardice and they shouldn't have so many defense buffs if they're not going to join in on the action.

Muskets: you hardly ever miss, lay out traps that can decimate if done right and can reduce our dodge to half (or even nothing). All that accuracy should be nerfed if I can't dodge your shots.

Witch: you sit back and buff and summon additional allies, increasing your forces WHILE having the most powers in the game, which means dodging your attacks is going to be pointless until you run out of spells. Take out those powers, you have your summons you don't need all that power.

You see how ridiculous all that above was? And yet, I keep hearing how our Hides need to be nerfed or how our damage should be nerfed, completely defeating the purpose of the entire class. News flash kids: Kingsisle has explicitly stated that they WILL NOT nerf any class, they will BUFF weaker classes but they will NOT nerf; knock it off with all the pointless, selfish complaints already. This game is about tactics, everything in this game is counter-able. Start learning the ropes, practicing better strategies or quit complaining, because asking for nerfs is no better than asking to bend the game to your convenience, which is no better than cheating (exceptions include [example]: the Fin Goggles granting Scent long ago, which isn't actually a nerf but a correction).

Rant over, sorry I just needed to get that all out of my system. I enjoy my Swash and I hate being frowned upon because of it, just needed to make my voice heard on the matter.

Until Next Time
Wolf
Proud Lvl. 40
Give this pirate a trophy. Even though at first I went on the nerf train with Fog, I find it more efficient(and cooler for that matter) to buff the weaker ones(mainly more tools) instead of nerfing the stronger ones.

While it is usually warranted of people explaining why something is OP, most people only look to nerf it, and never think outside of their box. This sadly happens nearly every update, no matter which class(I am surprised no Buccaneer complaint threads have occurred recently, even though they are a major force to be reckoned with, people still really like to bash Bucklers)

I find it warranted to buff a specific power if good reasoning is provided(ex. Raven's cry giving talents to staffy users) and it does not go overboard and make it too overpowered.

Really, everyone has a specific strategy they do not like. For example, back in season one, I did not like Bucklers who used moo robes, as that really hurt my team because of the pressure of Black Fog and I am incapacitated by the terror-cottas, and my opponent found that silly. At the same time, a buckler can severely dislike musketeers because they do not advance and camp, therefore they are cowardly(plus I have a scent2 loyal 3 pet w/ and aoe agility debuff :3 ). it is natural to talk about it on the forums to get help to counter the one strategy we despise, but asking the developers to change something to fix one person's problem is something they can't do.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
161
Nightblood1995 on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
First off, I want to say that I understand the competitive nature of PvP, especially Ranked, and I understand that class complaints are a dime a dozen in all MMOs. With that said, I still want to vent.

I'm getting really tired of people complaining about this class or that, how this should be nerfed or this should be buffed etc etc. The main 'victim' in all of this seems to be Swashes, which I personally love to play as. Not just for the damage, for the companions as well. But, it seems nowadays if you're a Swash you're 'evil' or a 'scrub', which I can understand why all the hatred in the PvP realm is directed at us but come on; I was a Bucc before, I enjoyed that class but not the companions, so I switched to a class that I'm more comfortable with and now I'm 'degraded' because of my personal choice? I understand how irritating our high damage and tactics are (including the highly controversial Purge scheme going around right now), but I would like to point out how irritating every other class and their tactics are as well.

Buccs: you hit them they hit back, if they critical they get a bonus hit and they are immortal WALLS if done right. All that defense should be nerfed, since I can't one shot you.

Privy: you sit back and buff and heal, which (if done right) can make all your attacks pointless AND you have to charge across the board to take them out, which means breaking through enemy lines. Pretty cowardice and they shouldn't have so many defense buffs if they're not going to join in on the action.

Muskets: you hardly ever miss, lay out traps that can decimate if done right and can reduce our dodge to half (or even nothing). All that accuracy should be nerfed if I can't dodge your shots.

Witch: you sit back and buff and summon additional allies, increasing your forces WHILE having the most powers in the game, which means dodging your attacks is going to be pointless until you run out of spells. Take out those powers, you have your summons you don't need all that power.

You see how ridiculous all that above was? And yet, I keep hearing how our Hides need to be nerfed or how our damage should be nerfed, completely defeating the purpose of the entire class. News flash kids: Kingsisle has explicitly stated that they WILL NOT nerf any class, they will BUFF weaker classes but they will NOT nerf; knock it off with all the pointless, selfish complaints already. This game is about tactics, everything in this game is counter-able. Start learning the ropes, practicing better strategies or quit complaining, because asking for nerfs is no better than asking to bend the game to your convenience, which is no better than cheating (exceptions include [example]: the Fin Goggles granting Scent long ago, which isn't actually a nerf but a correction).

Rant over, sorry I just needed to get that all out of my system. I enjoy my Swash and I hate being frowned upon because of it, just needed to make my voice heard on the matter.

Until Next Time
Wolf
Proud Lvl. 40
First off I have to say this: How can you claim to know much about Swash when you're lvl 40? XD The purge epidemic has been done for ages since Fog was buffed. Also KI may have stated they will never NERF a class but they already broke that by nerfing Privy back in the advanced comp update when flipping the turns for buffs. :)

Ok on to the point, at the time Swash were undeniably over powered because Scent was the only real counter but we had to rely on a pet which means we're relying on a 1/5 chance every turn for a unit to come to the board ALSO we then had to rely on that unit to stay AWAY from there pirate or they could just bypass is completely (Before they made scent remove hidden if the pet is in range of the hidden unit(s) at the end of its turn) so the only real counter was hidden itself which didn't matter because explain to me how a Witch is suppose to 1v4 an entire team of glass cannons before all of these buffs? So at the time yes there was a very fair argument of why Swash needed a nerf because the only real buff that could've been done was creating an item for everyone to get with a black fog but that obv couldn't happen since then they would also have to add an item with Zeal, Frenzy, Knockbacks, etc. So at the time they had a fair argument, now swash haven't been really bashed on by the community for a nerf or anything since after Rat fixed the game w/ the comp buff+changes to scent but yes there is a lot of flame about Swash players being naturally bad or relying on the class because it's the easiest to win with. That's just how the community is mostly in competitive, using cheap tactics not because of skill but just because the game makes them more over powered then the other classes/tactics is considered shameful, it will always be like that. It was like that back when Privy was OP as well people would say stuff like they do now but instead of 'Oh you're a Privy must take so much skill bro' it's 'Oh you're a Swash must take so much skill bro'.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
You did not just call Privateers cowards. We're masters of buffing. But our buffs are not OP. A lot of what you said is wrong. Especially about the witches.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
Voodoo Cornelius on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
I just want to point out that you have not had the chance to pvp with your class's best power, Black Fog, so you don't exactly have a first hand look at it. However, I don't really think that swashbucklers are really that OP anymore, as each class has been buffed up quite a bit.
Personally, Black Fog is great and all (and I understand why everyone loves it) but it's not really my style if you get what I mean. I would save it for emergency cases, like needing to heal or buff a Companion without losing them.

I agree, I don't see how we'd even be considered OP nowadays when it's pretty easy to counter our Hides and decimate us due to our minimal defenses (provided Dodge doesn't troll the assailant).

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
Stormy Sam Templet... on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
Give this pirate a trophy. Even though at first I went on the nerf train with Fog, I find it more efficient(and cooler for that matter) to buff the weaker ones(mainly more tools) instead of nerfing the stronger ones.

While it is usually warranted of people explaining why something is OP, most people only look to nerf it, and never think outside of their box. This sadly happens nearly every update, no matter which class(I am surprised no Buccaneer complaint threads have occurred recently, even though they are a major force to be reckoned with, people still really like to bash Bucklers)

I find it warranted to buff a specific power if good reasoning is provided(ex. Raven's cry giving talents to staffy users) and it does not go overboard and make it too overpowered.

Really, everyone has a specific strategy they do not like. For example, back in season one, I did not like Bucklers who used moo robes, as that really hurt my team because of the pressure of Black Fog and I am incapacitated by the terror-cottas, and my opponent found that silly. At the same time, a buckler can severely dislike musketeers because they do not advance and camp, therefore they are cowardly(plus I have a scent2 loyal 3 pet w/ and aoe agility debuff :3 ). it is natural to talk about it on the forums to get help to counter the one strategy we despise, but asking the developers to change something to fix one person's problem is something they can't do.
I completely agree with you, I can understand people having a problem with other people's strategies but when you go as far as to seek class nerfs then that's too far in my humble opinion. I'd much rather buff the weaker classes than throw everything off balance by weakening already balanced (or prospering) classes.

That pet though see that's called strategy right there, and a really darn good one at that lol

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
TechnomagePvP on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
First off I have to say this: How can you claim to know much about Swash when you're lvl 40? XD The purge epidemic has been done for ages since Fog was buffed. Also KI may have stated they will never NERF a class but they already broke that by nerfing Privy back in the advanced comp update when flipping the turns for buffs. :)

Ok on to the point, at the time Swash were undeniably over powered because Scent was the only real counter but we had to rely on a pet which means we're relying on a 1/5 chance every turn for a unit to come to the board ALSO we then had to rely on that unit to stay AWAY from there pirate or they could just bypass is completely (Before they made scent remove hidden if the pet is in range of the hidden unit(s) at the end of its turn) so the only real counter was hidden itself which didn't matter because explain to me how a Witch is suppose to 1v4 an entire team of glass cannons before all of these buffs? So at the time yes there was a very fair argument of why Swash needed a nerf because the only real buff that could've been done was creating an item for everyone to get with a black fog but that obv couldn't happen since then they would also have to add an item with Zeal, Frenzy, Knockbacks, etc. So at the time they had a fair argument, now swash haven't been really bashed on by the community for a nerf or anything since after Rat fixed the game w/ the comp buff+changes to scent but yes there is a lot of flame about Swash players being naturally bad or relying on the class because it's the easiest to win with. That's just how the community is mostly in competitive, using cheap tactics not because of skill but just because the game makes them more over powered then the other classes/tactics is considered shameful, it will always be like that. It was like that back when Privy was OP as well people would say stuff like they do now but instead of 'Oh you're a Privy must take so much skill bro' it's 'Oh you're a Swash must take so much skill bro'.
I restarted my Swash because I wanted a new name and I have nothing better to do at the moment, this is my second one as my first Pirate I ever created was a Swash to begin with before I switched to Bucc and back. Tried Musket briefly but it didn't sit well with my play-style.

I have never heard of Privy being nerfed, not saying it didn't happen just saying I must've been out of the loop on that one. Unless you're referring more to a correction than an actual nerf, but hey if it did happen then I stand corrected.

I understand your point, I'm just saying people shouldn't judge a player by their class is all. I'm a more casual player and quite frankly only PvP for fun, but being flamed for being a Swash kind of ruins the whole fun factor. It leaves me with a bad "I won cuz I'm a Swash" or "I lost cuz I'm a squishy Swash" aftertaste, ya know? Technically, without our Hiddens Swash doesn't really have much going for them, kind of like Bucc without their Blocks or Witch without their Summons. I'd propose that those that have a problem with any class, in general, to sit down with fellow PvP pros and work out a strategy to counter said class effectively rather than wasting time complaining. Just my opinion is all

High Five for the awesome feedback!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
Duke of Westminste... on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
You did not just call Privateers cowards. We're masters of buffing. But our buffs are not OP. A lot of what you said is wrong. Especially about the witches.
My friend a lot of what I said was an example referencing to the rather childish nerf-claims I've come across, none of that was intentionally true. I love Bucc, for example, but hate Kobe (too squishy at the moment and draws too much aggro even when I have Loud) and I personally fear Privateers over any other class.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
Duke of Westminste... on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
You did not just call Privateers cowards. We're masters of buffing. But our buffs are not OP. A lot of what you said is wrong. Especially about the witches.
(It appears my reply didn't go through so I apologize if I accidentally double reply to you)

What I said was metaphorical, not literal. Those were examples to support my point, not to bash on anyone. Bucc used to be my favorite class but Kobe (primarily) just made it more of a drag for me than anything else (draws too much aggro even though I have Loud 3 and can't self-sustain himself for very long). No insults were being made and no intentional malice was behind those words, I can assure you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9470
Nightblood1995 on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
First off, I want to say that I understand the competitive nature of PvP, especially Ranked, and I understand that class complaints are a dime a dozen in all MMOs. With that said, I still want to vent.

I'm getting really tired of people complaining about this class or that, how this should be nerfed or this should be buffed etc etc. The main 'victim' in all of this seems to be Swashes, which I personally love to play as. Not just for the damage, for the companions as well. But, it seems nowadays if you're a Swash you're 'evil' or a 'scrub', which I can understand why all the hatred in the PvP realm is directed at us but come on; I was a Bucc before, I enjoyed that class but not the companions, so I switched to a class that I'm more comfortable with and now I'm 'degraded' because of my personal choice? I understand how irritating our high damage and tactics are (including the highly controversial Purge scheme going around right now), but I would like to point out how irritating every other class and their tactics are as well.

Buccs: you hit them they hit back, if they critical they get a bonus hit and they are immortal WALLS if done right. All that defense should be nerfed, since I can't one shot you.

Privy: you sit back and buff and heal, which (if done right) can make all your attacks pointless AND you have to charge across the board to take them out, which means breaking through enemy lines. Pretty cowardice and they shouldn't have so many defense buffs if they're not going to join in on the action.

Muskets: you hardly ever miss, lay out traps that can decimate if done right and can reduce our dodge to half (or even nothing). All that accuracy should be nerfed if I can't dodge your shots.

Witch: you sit back and buff and summon additional allies, increasing your forces WHILE having the most powers in the game, which means dodging your attacks is going to be pointless until you run out of spells. Take out those powers, you have your summons you don't need all that power.

You see how ridiculous all that above was? And yet, I keep hearing how our Hides need to be nerfed or how our damage should be nerfed, completely defeating the purpose of the entire class. News flash kids: Kingsisle has explicitly stated that they WILL NOT nerf any class, they will BUFF weaker classes but they will NOT nerf; knock it off with all the pointless, selfish complaints already. This game is about tactics, everything in this game is counter-able. Start learning the ropes, practicing better strategies or quit complaining, because asking for nerfs is no better than asking to bend the game to your convenience, which is no better than cheating (exceptions include [example]: the Fin Goggles granting Scent long ago, which isn't actually a nerf but a correction).

Rant over, sorry I just needed to get that all out of my system. I enjoy my Swash and I hate being frowned upon because of it, just needed to make my voice heard on the matter.

Until Next Time
Wolf
Proud Lvl. 40
You have relieved a tremendous burden from my shoulders, as a Swash, I'm tired of all the bickering and hate coming our way.
Your original post was sane and even handed, thank you.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
anecorbie on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
You have relieved a tremendous burden from my shoulders, as a Swash, I'm tired of all the bickering and hate coming our way.
Your original post was sane and even handed, thank you.
Thank you, I'm glad I could brighten someone's day a little and I'm glad my rant didn't come off as overbearing or ruefully biased. Best of luck to ya in the Brawl House and PvE alike!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9470
TechnomagePvP on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
First off I have to say this: How can you claim to know much about Swash when you're lvl 40? XD The purge epidemic has been done for ages since Fog was buffed. Also KI may have stated they will never NERF a class but they already broke that by nerfing Privy back in the advanced comp update when flipping the turns for buffs. :)

Ok on to the point, at the time Swash were undeniably over powered because Scent was the only real counter but we had to rely on a pet which means we're relying on a 1/5 chance every turn for a unit to come to the board ALSO we then had to rely on that unit to stay AWAY from there pirate or they could just bypass is completely (Before they made scent remove hidden if the pet is in range of the hidden unit(s) at the end of its turn) so the only real counter was hidden itself which didn't matter because explain to me how a Witch is suppose to 1v4 an entire team of glass cannons before all of these buffs? So at the time yes there was a very fair argument of why Swash needed a nerf because the only real buff that could've been done was creating an item for everyone to get with a black fog but that obv couldn't happen since then they would also have to add an item with Zeal, Frenzy, Knockbacks, etc. So at the time they had a fair argument, now swash haven't been really bashed on by the community for a nerf or anything since after Rat fixed the game w/ the comp buff+changes to scent but yes there is a lot of flame about Swash players being naturally bad or relying on the class because it's the easiest to win with. That's just how the community is mostly in competitive, using cheap tactics not because of skill but just because the game makes them more over powered then the other classes/tactics is considered shameful, it will always be like that. It was like that back when Privy was OP as well people would say stuff like they do now but instead of 'Oh you're a Privy must take so much skill bro' it's 'Oh you're a Swash must take so much skill bro'.
Sooooo, only max levels can develop an opinion of how a class is played? By level 40 anyone can see that the powers/talents offered to that class runs on a theme.
Anyone may state an opinion here, and Nightblood was pointing out that angry smack talk is being leveled at one class; yet all classes may be targeted the same way.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
331
anecorbie on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
Sooooo, only max levels can develop an opinion of how a class is played? By level 40 anyone can see that the powers/talents offered to that class runs on a theme.
Anyone may state an opinion here, and Nightblood was pointing out that angry smack talk is being leveled at one class; yet all classes may be targeted the same way.
That's like saying that because you know how Cadaver's Chanty & the Baron's Banner work, you know how Summon Scorpion Swarm & Beast Banner works. While one is great, the next is exponentially better, and so it is kind of hard to compare. All I am saying is that it is hard to get perspective on something like that.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
Voodoo Cornelius on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
That's like saying that because you know how Cadaver's Chanty & the Baron's Banner work, you know how Summon Scorpion Swarm & Beast Banner works. While one is great, the next is exponentially better, and so it is kind of hard to compare. All I am saying is that it is hard to get perspective on something like that.
I understand your point and I agree that simply knowing how a few powers work doesn't equate to the higher end of things, but I would like to kindly point out that I'm not a 'noob', I know how Black Fog works and I know its many practical uses. My previous Swash was maxed at 65, for the record, but I simply remade a new one with a name I found more pleasing (Dead-Eye Kai kind of sounds more like a Musket-kind of name than a Swash if you ask me).

If I may briefly be frank (yet polite), I would like to point out that Black Fog is essentially a Walk In Darkness for your entire team, which means it's kind of the same thing as Walk In Darkness except everyone on your team now has one. Though, as you have stated, it does have many vast uses compared to the single Hidden power.

Though my level and a power isn't exactly what this thread is about if I may kindly point that out, as neither of the two are related to the original post

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6204
Nightblood1995 on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
First off, I want to say that I understand the competitive nature of PvP, especially Ranked, and I understand that class complaints are a dime a dozen in all MMOs. With that said, I still want to vent.

I'm getting really tired of people complaining about this class or that, how this should be nerfed or this should be buffed etc etc. The main 'victim' in all of this seems to be Swashes, which I personally love to play as. Not just for the damage, for the companions as well. But, it seems nowadays if you're a Swash you're 'evil' or a 'scrub', which I can understand why all the hatred in the PvP realm is directed at us but come on; I was a Bucc before, I enjoyed that class but not the companions, so I switched to a class that I'm more comfortable with and now I'm 'degraded' because of my personal choice? I understand how irritating our high damage and tactics are (including the highly controversial Purge scheme going around right now), but I would like to point out how irritating every other class and their tactics are as well.

Buccs: you hit them they hit back, if they critical they get a bonus hit and they are immortal WALLS if done right. All that defense should be nerfed, since I can't one shot you.

Privy: you sit back and buff and heal, which (if done right) can make all your attacks pointless AND you have to charge across the board to take them out, which means breaking through enemy lines. Pretty cowardice and they shouldn't have so many defense buffs if they're not going to join in on the action.

Muskets: you hardly ever miss, lay out traps that can decimate if done right and can reduce our dodge to half (or even nothing). All that accuracy should be nerfed if I can't dodge your shots.

Witch: you sit back and buff and summon additional allies, increasing your forces WHILE having the most powers in the game, which means dodging your attacks is going to be pointless until you run out of spells. Take out those powers, you have your summons you don't need all that power.

You see how ridiculous all that above was? And yet, I keep hearing how our Hides need to be nerfed or how our damage should be nerfed, completely defeating the purpose of the entire class. News flash kids: Kingsisle has explicitly stated that they WILL NOT nerf any class, they will BUFF weaker classes but they will NOT nerf; knock it off with all the pointless, selfish complaints already. This game is about tactics, everything in this game is counter-able. Start learning the ropes, practicing better strategies or quit complaining, because asking for nerfs is no better than asking to bend the game to your convenience, which is no better than cheating (exceptions include [example]: the Fin Goggles granting Scent long ago, which isn't actually a nerf but a correction).

Rant over, sorry I just needed to get that all out of my system. I enjoy my Swash and I hate being frowned upon because of it, just needed to make my voice heard on the matter.

Until Next Time
Wolf
Proud Lvl. 40
This is one of the best posts I have read. Beyond well said and your examples are brilliant. You proved your point in fantastic ways and showed quite well what can happen to ANY class that has bettered another. Instead of bashing what has bettered us, it is better to learn how they work and work with the weaknesses of each class instead of demanding that the developers weaken their strengths.

*Gives an Anne Radcliffey inspired dancers bow with a graceful flourish of my piratey, plumed hat*

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 8, 2015 wrote:
This is one of the best posts I have read. Beyond well said and your examples are brilliant. You proved your point in fantastic ways and showed quite well what can happen to ANY class that has bettered another. Instead of bashing what has bettered us, it is better to learn how they work and work with the weaknesses of each class instead of demanding that the developers weaken their strengths.

*Gives an Anne Radcliffey inspired dancers bow with a graceful flourish of my piratey, plumed hat*
Thank you matey! I'm glad it came off stern but nice, I accomplished what I set out to do it seems.

Well said, every class has a weakness you just gotta learn how to exploit them or cover your own. It's impossible, after all, to have no weakness whatsoever (currently).

*Bows in return* No need for such praise my friend, I'm not here for attention or the like I'm just reminding everyone that this isn't Wizard101, we're a kindhearted community here that's supposed to take care of one another not alienate; which is what ruined Wizards in my humble opinion.

Have a great day and I wish you the best of luck across the spiral!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Nightblood1995 on Oct 6, 2015 wrote:
First off, I want to say that I understand the competitive nature of PvP, especially Ranked, and I understand that class complaints are a dime a dozen in all MMOs. With that said, I still want to vent.

I'm getting really tired of people complaining about this class or that, how this should be nerfed or this should be buffed etc etc. The main 'victim' in all of this seems to be Swashes, which I personally love to play as. Not just for the damage, for the companions as well. But, it seems nowadays if you're a Swash you're 'evil' or a 'scrub', which I can understand why all the hatred in the PvP realm is directed at us but come on; I was a Bucc before, I enjoyed that class but not the companions, so I switched to a class that I'm more comfortable with and now I'm 'degraded' because of my personal choice? I understand how irritating our high damage and tactics are (including the highly controversial Purge scheme going around right now), but I would like to point out how irritating every other class and their tactics are as well.

Buccs: you hit them they hit back, if they critical they get a bonus hit and they are immortal WALLS if done right. All that defense should be nerfed, since I can't one shot you.

Privy: you sit back and buff and heal, which (if done right) can make all your attacks pointless AND you have to charge across the board to take them out, which means breaking through enemy lines. Pretty cowardice and they shouldn't have so many defense buffs if they're not going to join in on the action.

Muskets: you hardly ever miss, lay out traps that can decimate if done right and can reduce our dodge to half (or even nothing). All that accuracy should be nerfed if I can't dodge your shots.

Witch: you sit back and buff and summon additional allies, increasing your forces WHILE having the most powers in the game, which means dodging your attacks is going to be pointless until you run out of spells. Take out those powers, you have your summons you don't need all that power.

You see how ridiculous all that above was? And yet, I keep hearing how our Hides need to be nerfed or how our damage should be nerfed, completely defeating the purpose of the entire class. News flash kids: Kingsisle has explicitly stated that they WILL NOT nerf any class, they will BUFF weaker classes but they will NOT nerf; knock it off with all the pointless, selfish complaints already. This game is about tactics, everything in this game is counter-able. Start learning the ropes, practicing better strategies or quit complaining, because asking for nerfs is no better than asking to bend the game to your convenience, which is no better than cheating (exceptions include [example]: the Fin Goggles granting Scent long ago, which isn't actually a nerf but a correction).

Rant over, sorry I just needed to get that all out of my system. I enjoy my Swash and I hate being frowned upon because of it, just needed to make my voice heard on the matter.

Until Next Time
Wolf
Proud Lvl. 40
Wow you complain about the complainers and then go on to do it yourself.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9470
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 9, 2015 wrote:
Wow you complain about the complainers and then go on to do it yourself.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Only by showing how the complaining looks and how it can be applied to their class, Dante.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 9, 2015 wrote:
Wow you complain about the complainers and then go on to do it yourself.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
This is a form of stress relief known as 'venting' (as I clearly stated). Though I must ask: didn't you just do the same thing, technically? I'm not 'complaining' about anything, I'm expressing how I feel on a rather joy-hindering issue is all.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
184
I would like to point out that ANY and EVERY witch summon, down about 100-200 damage and less. Tell me do you think thats going to win the battle for any witch? Also adding to the fact that any summons accuracy, disregarding their level, still can barely even hit a witch companion. Now I'm just speaking of the witches, I am not bashing swashbucklers at all, for I am one a max to be precise. I have seen both sides of the battle, and the only boost witches need, is for their summons to be able to actually hit and do decent damage. That is all.

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
135
TheHoodooQueen on Oct 10, 2015 wrote:
I would like to point out that ANY and EVERY witch summon, down about 100-200 damage and less. Tell me do you think thats going to win the battle for any witch? Also adding to the fact that any summons accuracy, disregarding their level, still can barely even hit a witch companion. Now I'm just speaking of the witches, I am not bashing swashbucklers at all, for I am one a max to be precise. I have seen both sides of the battle, and the only boost witches need, is for their summons to be able to actually hit and do decent damage. That is all.
If your losing its probably because your depending on summons/npc mobs to win the battle for you at least that's what I get from your post witch dr is fine atm sure they could use one more little buff but other then that they are fine.

Quick Harry Abbott
Summer pvp champion, fall pvp champion.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
184
the midnightpirate on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
If your losing its probably because your depending on summons/npc mobs to win the battle for you at least that's what I get from your post witch dr is fine atm sure they could use one more little buff but other then that they are fine.

Quick Harry Abbott
Summer pvp champion, fall pvp champion.
I don't depend on my summons, although it would be nice to know that my summons could at least walk up to my opponent without dying from overwatch, repel boarders, etc. The summons I summon, occasionally, are level 60. Last I checked level 60 enemies could land a hit on opponent. I usually depend on buffs, de buffs, spells and companions like any normal witchdoctor. I'm just merely pointing out that the one thing witchdoctors should infamously be known for, can barely do anything in battle but make them longer!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
222
TheHoodooQueen on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
I don't depend on my summons, although it would be nice to know that my summons could at least walk up to my opponent without dying from overwatch, repel boarders, etc. The summons I summon, occasionally, are level 60. Last I checked level 60 enemies could land a hit on opponent. I usually depend on buffs, de buffs, spells and companions like any normal witchdoctor. I'm just merely pointing out that the one thing witchdoctors should infamously be known for, can barely do anything in battle but make them longer!
I believe Ratbeard once said, long ago, that Summons and Pets are not meant to act like Companions; they are meant to act as decoys in order to trigger enemy Epics so you and your team can charge in WITHOUT needing to worry about Overwatch or Hold The Line or Repel Boarders (etc). If the Summons were as strong as a Companion, for example, that'd be beyond broken as now you not only can drag out the battle even longer but you essentially just gained a few extra 'Companions' while your opponent sits with their measly 3. Yes, it helps the Witchdoctor a lot but at the same time it unbalances the game; it practically means Witchdoctors don't need to worry about their Companions dying if they can just summon equivalents.

Just a suggestion, I don't believe that's what you were implying but I just wanted to make that little bit clear. I do understand how frustrating it is to watch your Pet or Summon go after the wrong enemy or get in your way when you're trying to pull something off (ex: my pet likes to run smack dab in the middle of the enemy hoard when I'm already Hidden and ready to use Dance of Steel or Assassin's Mist; it's really flipping annoying and makes me want to trash my pet or unequip it more than anything else).

Something else to consider: extending the duration of the fight is a good tactic. Not only does it force your opponent to worry about additional enemies, it forces them to pick and choose what Powers to use and when, which can completely throw off their strategy. Should I Hide and Assassin Strike you and let your Summons/Companions/Pet all swoop in and maul me when I'm vulnerable or should I play it safe and pick off the Summons/Pet one by one? This then gives you time to think and strategize on your end, which is an extremely valuable component in battle. You could also summon a wall of minions to protect you from enemy charges. There's so much you can do, you just gotta think outside the box. Strength and Power are only a small part of the fight

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
135
TheHoodooQueen on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
I don't depend on my summons, although it would be nice to know that my summons could at least walk up to my opponent without dying from overwatch, repel boarders, etc. The summons I summon, occasionally, are level 60. Last I checked level 60 enemies could land a hit on opponent. I usually depend on buffs, de buffs, spells and companions like any normal witchdoctor. I'm just merely pointing out that the one thing witchdoctors should infamously be known for, can barely do anything in battle but make them longer!
Ok glade to know your not one of those people that get mad when summons don't win a battle for them any way I think the reason witch is not one of the best is because they are a summon based class and let's face it summons vs a player don't win once the summons die it's pretty much over I personly think they should make witches based off of some thing other then summons. Or make the arenas a lot bigger like spar that would make it so much easier for witches and it still would be fair would be great for both sides

1