Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ratbeard's second promotion - weird hat

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 02, 2009
I'm really not liking the way he looks. Particularly the hat. The hat is really bugging me. It reminds me a marshmallow candy. Can we have an option to choose which companion promotion outfit is displayed? I like his first promotion outfit much better. The hat for his second promotion is so bad that going forward, I'm not sure I want to promote any of my Ratbeard's on my alternate characters. Please let us choose which promotion outfits we want our companions to wear.

Community Leader
Yes, this has come up in at least one other thread.

Personally, I agree with you. Ratbeard's first promotion hat was so very cool. His second promotion hat is so very... not. It looks like he stole is from Cap'n Crunch, or worse, from the squeak-toy bin at a pet store.

Ensign
Sep 19, 2012
lol I agree his first hat was much better, the new one looks a little small. I though I was alone in thinking this.

Community Leader
A Mythspent Youth on Dec 1, 2012 wrote:
Yes, this has come up in at least one other thread.

Personally, I agree with you. Ratbeard's first promotion hat was so very cool. His second promotion hat is so very... not. It looks like he stole is from Cap'n Crunch, or worse, from the squeak-toy bin at a pet store.
OMG yes, please please KI consider changing that hat!

A Mythspent Youth's description of it couldnt have been better... Cap'n Crunch,or that Squeaky Toy... lol.
Come on KI it was a promotion for a pirate companion, not a saturday morning cereal commercial.

Change the hat!!!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Lol, that is so funny. I too agree.

But, after having looked at the hat a third time or a fourth, it did not look so bad. Seemed like the hat was made to be bigger, no? Either way, it kind of grew on me.

Lieutenant
Feb 01, 2011

Wow, I thought the same thing! That hat...is it meant to be a joke? Please, if he get's a future promotion (after the level increase), give Ratbeard a cooler hat!

Ensign
Feb 16, 2010
Yeah I have to second, third, fourth, fifth (whatever) this idea. Ratbeard's first promotion hat was so cool with the jaunty feather in it. His second promotion hat, um, yeah, Captain Crunch is an apt description. He definitely needs a bit more flair. Not to El Toro's standard of flair of course, but a bit more would help him out a lot.

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
It looks like a toy hat made of foam.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2011
Ok, everyone knows ratbeard the one who try to cheat us to Gunn's treasure but in the end joins our crew and we split the treasure(sort of). But what Brings me here is to talk about the problem with his promotional looks. When you first get him he way stronger than you and he's ready for a promotion(he be in his rags by then). Then after the promotion he looks Way better than he was in his rags but he using a pretty old sword.
And then finally after you promote him for the second time .... Bam! that's where the problem at. Sure he looks fine in a fancy captain's coat and a new sword but ... the problem is ... its the hat that toss everyone off that captain's hat. It not like the hat from his first two stages but it make him looks silly cause of the size and design. Do anyone agreed there something wrong with ratbeard's 2nd promotion hat?

And ratbeard, if you read this and understand then what you think about your hat? why replace it and if possible could you pick a better hat in your next promotion when we get further in the game( in the next two worlds perhaps?)

Captain Black Rose Level 50 Musketeer

Ensign
Apr 15, 2011
That hat does look pretty messed up. I don't mind the size as much, it's just the design that's weird. It's flat looking with a random bump at the top like a matador. It just looks strange and should be fixed.

Ruthless Rebecca Radcliffe

Captain
May 13, 2011
i think the hat makes him look more noble, especially if you look him from the side with an eye

Ensign
Aug 18, 2011
winter goddess on Feb 2, 2013 wrote:
Ok, everyone knows ratbeard the one who try to cheat us to Gunn's treasure but in the end joins our crew and we split the treasure(sort of). But what Brings me here is to talk about the problem with his promotional looks. When you first get him he way stronger than you and he's ready for a promotion(he be in his rags by then). Then after the promotion he looks Way better than he was in his rags but he using a pretty old sword.
And then finally after you promote him for the second time .... Bam! that's where the problem at. Sure he looks fine in a fancy captain's coat and a new sword but ... the problem is ... its the hat that toss everyone off that captain's hat. It not like the hat from his first two stages but it make him looks silly cause of the size and design. Do anyone agreed there something wrong with ratbeard's 2nd promotion hat?

And ratbeard, if you read this and understand then what you think about your hat? why replace it and if possible could you pick a better hat in your next promotion when we get further in the game( in the next two worlds perhaps?)

Captain Black Rose Level 50 Musketeer
Yes.. the size of it just doesn't go with his head at all. It makes Ratbeard's head look larger than it actually is, especially when you look at him head on.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2010
My complaint about the new hat is the concept behind it. Ratbeard went through a lot to obtain that hat and coat from his first Promotion. It feels odd that he'd readily replace both with not even a mention after his second promotion.

I'd put the old hat back and save the funky one he has now for a future promotion or something.

Ensign
Jul 19, 2010
i agree with everyone...ratbeards hat is horrible..i was using him as my first mate but then when he got his new hat i bumped him down, i cant walk around with that hat mocking me...i switched him out for bonnie anne who looks awesome after her third promotion!

Petty Officer
Oct 04, 2012
haha, his last hat does look terrible.

Ensign
May 09, 2011
i dont care about the hat, just how good he is. yeah, at Commander promotion he looks so good but,at least it looks better than his rat officer hat. what's strange is, if you look at the Wizard101 pvp levels, you'll see commander is about a level higher than captain. strange...

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
My wife and I completely agree. We are confident that he will receive another promotion in time, and will hopefully receive a much cooler hat. I would say it couldn't be less cool, but someone at KI might take that as a personal challenge...

For that matter, while Bonnie Ann's outfit after her second promotion isn't bad, I like the previous version with the snappy beret better.

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
Bonnie Anne depends on the color scheme of your flag. Ratbeard if you have odd primary colors he looks even worse with the last promotion due to the hat.

Captain
May 02, 2009
Why ya'll hatin' on ratbeard's hat. I personally like the hat. I can't be the only one who likes it.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Possibly, you are...

But, hey, if you fit in with the rest of society you wouldn't be a pirate, right?

Admiral
May 30, 2010
That hat just hurts me too look at it. Ratbeard was so swank in his prior hat, and then he looks like he stopped off at an unnamed place in Florida and maybe got a touch of sun. He looks pathetic with his little toy hat.

I dearly hope that when he again promotes, he can find someone to give him a proper hat again. Only Another Mouse's ears would look sillier than his current chapeau!

Ensign
Feb 07, 2009
I agree, Ratbeard's second promotion hat needs help. A lot of help. It looks kind of ... squishy/jiggly to me. I hope they change it....

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I've got very good news for Pirates who have sent out their negative reception about Ratbeard's sceond promotion hat... There's a new, better change to his hat in the Test Realm as of right now! Once the changes go Live, there won't be more complaints about it again! Sure, his current hat was sorta strange looking, but hey, I didn't strongly complain about it, like many Pirates did for a long time. For a while, we've had to accept Ratbeard's hat until they've changed it, some of us even liked it, even me, but soon, the wait will all be over.

Ensign
Dec 16, 2011
coolster50 on Feb 7, 2013 wrote:
Why ya'll hatin' on ratbeard's hat. I personally like the hat. I can't be the only one who likes it.
well i do like the hat really