Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Level 51, 52, and 53 companions.

1
AuthorMessage
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
I actually tried looking for the thread that brought up this subject via the discussion of other concerns, and it made me reply with such a passion that I want to bring this up as an actual topic.

I believe 100% that all companions (unless those companions in question can be specifically trained beyond the level cap with tomes) should be equalized at 50.

I bought 6 crown shop companions at level 48, believing that. All the starter ones, and the Milo Graytail counterpart. So, they are all level 50, because I had bought them at level 48. I had learned, with much disgust, that if I had bought them at level 50, they all would be at level 52.

Now, a 2 level diffeerence may not be totally gamebreaking, but they make a huge difference when it comes down to the nitty gritty in high level fights. And, I am quite honestly really annoyed by the fact that I lost the chance to have companions stronger than 50.

To all those unaware of this, who had bought crowns companions before level 50, will probably feel along the same as me, a little irritated.

Thing is, I will forever carry a grudge at this game, and will forever have a bad taste in my mouth playing this, knowing that those who wait until level 50 will have companions past 50, and therefore superior companions.

So, this should be changed to where all companions, no matter when they are bought, will cap out at 50. If those companions are not chosen to cap out at 50, then it should be made where they can be trained further with tomes.

This is really an aggrivating and irritating thing I have discovered, and would appreciate any feedback and input from other players, and what they think about it. Even KI may respond with their own thoughts.

Thank you for reading, as always.

Community Leader
At the very least, you can take some solace in the fact that when the level cap is raised (as it innevitably will be), all those companions that were above 50 will now be nothing special and will be capped at 60 with all the rest. I don't know if KI will fix this or not, but I will say that, given you were lvl 50 before you got to Moo Shu, all the companions you gain there will be overpowered, so you have that advantage over most players. I can't imagine there are too many people who have gotten to level 50 before they've finished the Monkey King questline and I think you get a companion or two before you get to that point.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
Having been a beta tester, I saw most testers avoiding/shuffling new companions to the end of their list. A situation that was easily observed by KI as they developed the game.

They addressed this problem upon release to live. The system is currently designed to give companions at a higher level than the pirate to encourage them to use/try these new companions and NOT avoid them by shuffling them to the end of the companion list. I know from personal experience, and observation with my other friends, that this worked incredibly well, for what it was intended.

This has raised some concerns for some about companions above level 50... but I dont see these concerns as warranted.

Level 50 is only a current cap, its not THE end of the game. Its just as important to encourage level 50 players to use new companions as it is level 10 players. The fact they are level 50 makes this situation no different at all.

PVP'ers worried about this? Then exercise your rights to pursue the same options as those that got the level 50+ companions. PVP players have always done everything they can to improve their situation, why should this be any different.

Also everyone has the same resources at their disposal as far as information. So the "learning" curve is what you make of it. The way companion level currently works has been in the game since it went live. The very first time you get a companion while questing makes the level difference obvious, at least it did for me. I played my second pirate with an entirely different strategy having observed the new "rules" implemented by KI. My first pirate did end up recruiting a few 50+ companions, but it was hard to get his other companions to the level I wanted.

Perhaps crown companions should be level locked to the pirate level, but as far as companions obtained in-game, no I think it works excellent the way it is. It promotes us to try the new companions instead of avoiding them (putting them at the end of the list).

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
102
I don't really mind about that. There aren't any more talents getting assigned after level 50 so the few level difference is barely noticeable (maybe not at all).

The only instance where it actually makes a difference is the fact that for some reason Tonka appears to get a 2nd promotion past level 50 (unsure if this is intentional or not).

Ensign
Sep 19, 2012
43
I am sorry you feel this way. I especially left some of my side quests that rewarded me with a companion until after I reached level 50, as I noticed throughout the game, that when you got a new companion, he or she was generally a few levels higher than what my level was. when the new world comes out and the level cap is raised then it wont really matter whether they are level 50 or level 50+. While I am working on raising all my companions to level 50, (they are all around level 48 - 53), it doesn't seem to really matter whether they are level 48 or 53, there is not really that big of a difference. the only time I can really tell that a companion is better after raising his or her level is when they have been promoted. Also I would like to point out that the companions I have gained from quests, especially the main ones are at the top of my list. even though I have some crown shop comapnions that are level 53, they do not fight better than the main ones that are level 48 or 49, unless you are buying one of the other classes companions that they start with. I bought the kan po companion for my swashbuckler early on in the game, and even though he is only level 48, I cant help thinking that I would not have progressed as well as I did if I didn't have him. he also does a lot more damage than my level 53 companions I am not upset by the fact that he will never make it passed 50 until the increase in the cap. Now that you know about companions being a higher level even though your level is capped after you buy them, you will know to wait to buy crown companions with the next pirate you create I personally dont think KI should change this, I like having some companions that are a higher level than me.

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
50
I like it this way. Of course, I bought my companions at level 50

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
Hmm. Alright, fair enough. Since the crown companions I bought were the starter ones, they are pretty darn powerful.

Alright then, I guess this is settled. Thank you for your replies.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
303
I agree with you totally, but it is too keep things balanced
Also a tip, it's the same case with side quest companions, so try to grab some of those companions at level 50. It can get you some decent companions!

Ensign
Jul 08, 2010
17
The replies on this thread just scream to me this "I managed to get level 50+ companions and I want to keep my advantage over other players!" If you want to keep the level cap for companion higher then player encourage using more companions that fine BUT DON'T lock pre-50 companions at level 50 let them hit level 53 like the ones you get later. I mean come on in order to level these suckers up it take a HECK of a lot of farming ESPECIALLY if you grab extra crown companions early then its even MORE monies you have to grind. Basically Crown companions can become a slight handicap as you level then for a second snub to players who bought early they can't max out as high as those who bought end game. And its not like you can rebuy those companions even at a higher level nope you can only buy them one time. This is such a completely obvious favoring of certain players its unreal. Of course the players who are being favored are going to want to keep their over powered companions especially with PVP coming where every little advantage matters.

Administrator
To all posters on this thread. Let's remember to keep debate clean and insult free.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Community Leader
Magistermundisum on Dec 8, 2012 wrote:
The replies on this thread just scream to me this "I managed to get level 50+ companions and I want to keep my advantage over other players!" If you want to keep the level cap for companion higher then player encourage using more companions that fine BUT DON'T lock pre-50 companions at level 50 let them hit level 53 like the ones you get later. I mean come on in order to level these suckers up it take a HECK of a lot of farming ESPECIALLY if you grab extra crown companions early then its even MORE monies you have to grind. Basically Crown companions can become a slight handicap as you level then for a second snub to players who bought early they can't max out as high as those who bought end game. And its not like you can rebuy those companions even at a higher level nope you can only buy them one time. This is such a completely obvious favoring of certain players its unreal. Of course the players who are being favored are going to want to keep their over powered companions especially with PVP coming where every little advantage matters.
What are we worried about here, 1-3 "possible" levels that a companion can be obtained at versus 50?
And that there is no way to "start over" if you make a mistake?

I recommend anyone BUYING things to do their homework first. "Look" before you leap. ESPECIALLY if they have a focus on PVP. Personally, I have never purchased a crown companion, they are not necessary at all, they are more of a desire/preference. Seems to me that if I wanted to create the best team possible like for PVP, id take what the game gives me first, THEN evaluate what additions would fill the gaps on my team.

Most companions one gets via the regular game, if a player holds out so they get them at a level higher than 50, they earned it! They played the game without that companion, quite possibly making thier task to get there even harder. Furthermore, these are not that great of companions at that point in the game, AND 1-3 levels is a minor variance in power, that is somewhat insignificant in the first place.

Perhaps one approach in regards to crown companions only, would be to give players an option of selling them back for some gold like other crown items can, or allowing them to delete them, either way they could then "repurchase" them.

As far as favoring players, most games favor those that do their homework and make additional characters improving on them, using what they learned playing other characters. This game isnt as "casual" as Wizard101 was in its past, there are a few more details that can make a difference, some of which even during character creation which are irreversable without starting over. Those factors alone in my opinion influence the game far more which control what companion you get, and a stat boost.

I have zero interest in PVP, as far as I am concerned, it never need be published.
So if someone thinks PVP is my motivation, they are mistaken.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
May 18, 2011
6
What is the purpose of NOT being able to rebuy companions at any level?
Are we not in a free country and can choose who we want to accompany us in our quest to top level?

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
210
Magistermundisum on Dec 8, 2012 wrote:
The replies on this thread just scream to me this "I managed to get level 50+ companions and I want to keep my advantage over other players!" If you want to keep the level cap for companion higher then player encourage using more companions that fine BUT DON'T lock pre-50 companions at level 50 let them hit level 53 like the ones you get later. I mean come on in order to level these suckers up it take a HECK of a lot of farming ESPECIALLY if you grab extra crown companions early then its even MORE monies you have to grind. Basically Crown companions can become a slight handicap as you level then for a second snub to players who bought early they can't max out as high as those who bought end game. And its not like you can rebuy those companions even at a higher level nope you can only buy them one time. This is such a completely obvious favoring of certain players its unreal. Of course the players who are being favored are going to want to keep their over powered companions especially with PVP coming where every little advantage matters.
What do you mean when you say "favoring of certain players", and "keep my advantage over other players"?

It doesn't matter what other players do in playing Pirate101, as we're all on the same team when trying to defeat the enemy in PvE. If someone hits L50 in the earlier part of Mooshu (after doing side quests as well), then sure, there will be companions that will be obtained that will be higher than L50. Why is that such a big deal?

The level cap will be raised soon enough when the new world(s) come out so the point is moot about L50+ companions.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Magistermundisum on Dec 8, 2012 wrote:
The replies on this thread just scream to me this "I managed to get level 50+ companions and I want to keep my advantage over other players!" If you want to keep the level cap for companion higher then player encourage using more companions that fine BUT DON'T lock pre-50 companions at level 50 let them hit level 53 like the ones you get later. I mean come on in order to level these suckers up it take a HECK of a lot of farming ESPECIALLY if you grab extra crown companions early then its even MORE monies you have to grind. Basically Crown companions can become a slight handicap as you level then for a second snub to players who bought early they can't max out as high as those who bought end game. And its not like you can rebuy those companions even at a higher level nope you can only buy them one time. This is such a completely obvious favoring of certain players its unreal. Of course the players who are being favored are going to want to keep their over powered companions especially with PVP coming where every little advantage matters.
This reply to me just screams, "I want everything everyone else has, but I dont want to have to wait, struggle, or work for it, I just want it handed to me on a silver platter!"

Secondly, you can not train any companion past your character's level. If you had been reading the posts from KI and JTodd, they have clearly stated, that they are giving companions at a slightly higher level, to promote them being used and tried out.

Now, just because some of those companions are level 53 even, does not mean they are the best, have the best talents, or are even worth having in a battle.

So, in PvP, if you are defeated because of someone having a level 53 companion, it's not their level you need to worry about, but more your strategy. It does not give that much of a boost to any school or class.

It also does not sound like they are being favored or getting much of an advantage, as anyone and everyone can be patient and reach level 50, then do the side quests that offer companions. Not that those companions are all that worth having. As far as the Crown companions, those are 1 level higher, sorry, but again, not an issue of advantage or being favored, since they waited, struggled without using and having those powerful crown companions. It would hence, been earned.

There are a lot of things that cant be undone once you start a character, you cant change how your parents died, what boost you got, crown companions, crown ships, crown houses, bundle houses, etc. That part is just like Wizard101. You got the choice!

Ensign
Jul 08, 2010
17
Darth JT on Dec 10, 2012 wrote:
This reply to me just screams, "I want everything everyone else has, but I dont want to have to wait, struggle, or work for it, I just want it handed to me on a silver platter!"

Secondly, you can not train any companion past your character's level. If you had been reading the posts from KI and JTodd, they have clearly stated, that they are giving companions at a slightly higher level, to promote them being used and tried out.

Now, just because some of those companions are level 53 even, does not mean they are the best, have the best talents, or are even worth having in a battle.

So, in PvP, if you are defeated because of someone having a level 53 companion, it's not their level you need to worry about, but more your strategy. It does not give that much of a boost to any school or class.

It also does not sound like they are being favored or getting much of an advantage, as anyone and everyone can be patient and reach level 50, then do the side quests that offer companions. Not that those companions are all that worth having. As far as the Crown companions, those are 1 level higher, sorry, but again, not an issue of advantage or being favored, since they waited, struggled without using and having those powerful crown companions. It would hence, been earned.

There are a lot of things that cant be undone once you start a character, you cant change how your parents died, what boost you got, crown companions, crown ships, crown houses, bundle houses, etc. That part is just like Wizard101. You got the choice!
Hardly, a person who get a companion early puts in a hundred times more effort in leveling up that companion then the person who bought at 50 yet the person who bought at 50 gets a superior product that the person who put all the effort into leveling up there companion would never have. The fact of the matter is if 2 people buy the same item for the same price they should get the same product regardless of the level they are at. Say if the reverse was true and that if you bought a companion and it was past its promotion point but you were never able to get its promotion don't you think that would be unfair?

Yes in PVP strategy>Gear Including companions. However lets say I'm playing Joe and as happenstance would have it where are running the same class gear and companions except my companions are all at level 53. This gives me more options I can use against Joe. Why? Because if I send My level 53 companion vs the same level 50 companion the level 53 companion is going to win one on one. Yes strategy help Joe but his strategy are automatically more limited vs me.

If you want to have companions come in at levels above 50 that is fine by me. You are right in encourages players to use these companions while they are a little bit stronger then your average ones. However all I am saying is that all companions need to have the same cap out point. If you want to make that 53 that is fine but don't mess with the game balance.

And for all who say this is a PvP only problem that is complete and utter nonsense. All game functions must be balance properly. A great example is Wiz101's new expansion. I have heard from a great many sources of people complaining that the new expansion is way to hard due to KI balancing it based on the top level gear available which most casual players don't bother to get and thus the new expansion is to difficult. If that is the case then when the next P101 expansion hits think how difficult it might be if they balance around people having multiple level 53 companions.

Correct that your origin effects alot of things that can't be changed. I don't particularly like that about P101 but just about all the companions from your origin are roughly equal and the bonus you get a stat is the most concerning to me. I would like to see either a crown item that would let you change that if you decide later you want to change it. Everything else is mostly cosmetic or you can find an equal in the game.

The problem of just waiting till next expanion is that it repeats the problem with people waiting till 60 to get companions or grinding to 60 on old stuff then picking up companions later.

Also PVP is mostly end-game content that keeps players playing while waiting for new content so keeping it balanced is important.

Games favor those that do their homework but you should allow people to correct their mistakes once they do the Homework.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
210
Magistermundisum on Dec 10, 2012 wrote:
Hardly, a person who get a companion early puts in a hundred times more effort in leveling up that companion then the person who bought at 50 yet the person who bought at 50 gets a superior product that the person who put all the effort into leveling up there companion would never have. The fact of the matter is if 2 people buy the same item for the same price they should get the same product regardless of the level they are at. Say if the reverse was true and that if you bought a companion and it was past its promotion point but you were never able to get its promotion don't you think that would be unfair?

Yes in PVP strategy>Gear Including companions. However lets say I'm playing Joe and as happenstance would have it where are running the same class gear and companions except my companions are all at level 53. This gives me more options I can use against Joe. Why? Because if I send My level 53 companion vs the same level 50 companion the level 53 companion is going to win one on one. Yes strategy help Joe but his strategy are automatically more limited vs me.

If you want to have companions come in at levels above 50 that is fine by me. You are right in encourages players to use these companions while they are a little bit stronger then your average ones. However all I am saying is that all companions need to have the same cap out point. If you want to make that 53 that is fine but don't mess with the game balance.

And for all who say this is a PvP only problem that is complete and utter nonsense. All game functions must be balance properly. A great example is Wiz101's new expansion. I have heard from a great many sources of people complaining that the new expansion is way to hard due to KI balancing it based on the top level gear available which most casual players don't bother to get and thus the new expansion is to difficult. If that is the case then when the next P101 expansion hits think how difficult it might be if they balance around people having multiple level 53 companions.

Correct that your origin effects alot of things that can't be changed. I don't particularly like that about P101 but just about all the companions from your origin are roughly equal and the bonus you get a stat is the most concerning to me. I would like to see either a crown item that would let you change that if you decide later you want to change it. Everything else is mostly cosmetic or you can find an equal in the game.

The problem of just waiting till next expanion is that it repeats the problem with people waiting till 60 to get companions or grinding to 60 on old stuff then picking up companions later.

Also PVP is mostly end-game content that keeps players playing while waiting for new content so keeping it balanced is important.

Games favor those that do their homework but you should allow people to correct their mistakes once they do the Homework.
Players have a CHOICE to do what they want in terms of companions. If someone wants to buy a crown companion at L50, then so be it. Personally, I buy two particular crown companions at low levels, because I feel they are the best and have helped me through the game. I'm not complaining about the fact that they are stuck at L50, because I CHOSE to purchase them earlier, so they could grow with me.

It's sad that people remain stuck in the PvP mentality and want to change the whole game because they think it's unfair. Besides, the companions I have that are L51-53 are not great. These are the side quest companions that I waited to get when I capped at L50. The crown shop ones, are one level ahead of you. Believe me, it's not much of a difference. The TRUE difference, is what talents you give your companions, not the level. It does not mean the L53 of the same companion as the one at L50 will win. It's all about HOW you put your companion together based on the talents you feel are best for you.

There is NO messing with the game balance. This is PvE, not PvP. It doesn't matter what other players do to play the game. That's what makes P101 fun and unique. It can be played many ways.

With one of my pirates, I will be capping at L50, however, I will not be doing the side quest companions. I plan on holding off on obtaining those until ..... well, I haven't figured out exactly when I'll turn in those quests yet. End of game? Possibly. Fair to me? Yes. Fair to someone else? Doesn't matter, it's my choice on how I play the game.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
Dr Zeppers on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
What are we worried about here, 1-3 "possible" levels that a companion can be obtained at versus 50?
And that there is no way to "start over" if you make a mistake?

I recommend anyone BUYING things to do their homework first. "Look" before you leap. ESPECIALLY if they have a focus on PVP. Personally, I have never purchased a crown companion, they are not necessary at all, they are more of a desire/preference. Seems to me that if I wanted to create the best team possible like for PVP, id take what the game gives me first, THEN evaluate what additions would fill the gaps on my team.

Most companions one gets via the regular game, if a player holds out so they get them at a level higher than 50, they earned it! They played the game without that companion, quite possibly making thier task to get there even harder. Furthermore, these are not that great of companions at that point in the game, AND 1-3 levels is a minor variance in power, that is somewhat insignificant in the first place.

Perhaps one approach in regards to crown companions only, would be to give players an option of selling them back for some gold like other crown items can, or allowing them to delete them, either way they could then "repurchase" them.

As far as favoring players, most games favor those that do their homework and make additional characters improving on them, using what they learned playing other characters. This game isnt as "casual" as Wizard101 was in its past, there are a few more details that can make a difference, some of which even during character creation which are irreversable without starting over. Those factors alone in my opinion influence the game far more which control what companion you get, and a stat boost.

I have zero interest in PVP, as far as I am concerned, it never need be published.
So if someone thinks PVP is my motivation, they are mistaken.
I don't think that is 100% fair, OFxSaint.

Yes, I should have been a LOT more thorough, and done a lot more research, and basically should have waited until level 50.

But at 48, having quickly opened up the crown shop and browsed through the companion list, I saw that they were 50, and assumed they would all level 50. However, thinking back on it, Nikeeta and some others near the bottom of the list would have been 51.

But, not having looked at Nikeeta and those companions at 51, I went ahead and bought the 3 other crown starters, including Malik. The starter companions are the most powerful companions (or the most superior) in terms of epics and powers. I don't think that can even be argued. Maybe the Kraken Skull companions and Bonnie Anne rival the starters in terms of powers and epics.

Another reply mentioned that other characters should have been made to test things out and such, but really? Creating another character to get to level 50 and spend crowns on just to test something? That is a little extreme.

Thing is, the starter companions and possibly the Kraken Skulls and Presidio companions are the strongest in the game (in terms of epics and powers) and having THEM 1-3 levels OVER my level cap would have been a good difference, regardless of how little it is. And that difference matters when it comes down to the nitty gritty. It just does. (Never finished Haunted Skyway or Mooshu yet, so not sure how THOSE companions measure up to the aforementioned companions.) I don't PvP, so please, no one start thinking I brought up this issue because of PvP. Because I don't care for it and never will.

Again, I don't think it is 100% fair to just say, you should have done your homework. But, it is the harsh reality of things, and I will begrudgingly accept it.

Enochi, you seem to understand exactly what I am trying to say, and I wish more people were on our side. But I suppose, this is just how the world turns.

A simple solution to this: Enable characters to buy tomes and train companions to the same exact level that a level 50 pirate would get. I don't mind spending gold. That is what gold is there for. I don't mind grinding. This whole entire post would be moot.

And, a lesson and message to ALL pirates that read this. And I will ask that Talkin' the Plank also gives this message on his blogs and podcast.

If you plan on taking a companion all the way, if you plan on using a companion as one of your top companions, do NOT buy him until you are level 50, that way you will get a 1-3 level higher companion than the level 50 cap currently in place.

As for expansions. I learned my lesson from this. Now I know better. I will wait for the level cap to buy companions.

Let THIS post hopefully be the homework that OFxSaint likes companion buyers to 'read'.

Ensign
Jul 08, 2010
17
BrynnerOfReign on Dec 11, 2012 wrote:
Players have a CHOICE to do what they want in terms of companions. If someone wants to buy a crown companion at L50, then so be it. Personally, I buy two particular crown companions at low levels, because I feel they are the best and have helped me through the game. I'm not complaining about the fact that they are stuck at L50, because I CHOSE to purchase them earlier, so they could grow with me.

It's sad that people remain stuck in the PvP mentality and want to change the whole game because they think it's unfair. Besides, the companions I have that are L51-53 are not great. These are the side quest companions that I waited to get when I capped at L50. The crown shop ones, are one level ahead of you. Believe me, it's not much of a difference. The TRUE difference, is what talents you give your companions, not the level. It does not mean the L53 of the same companion as the one at L50 will win. It's all about HOW you put your companion together based on the talents you feel are best for you.

There is NO messing with the game balance. This is PvE, not PvP. It doesn't matter what other players do to play the game. That's what makes P101 fun and unique. It can be played many ways.

With one of my pirates, I will be capping at L50, however, I will not be doing the side quest companions. I plan on holding off on obtaining those until ..... well, I haven't figured out exactly when I'll turn in those quests yet. End of game? Possibly. Fair to me? Yes. Fair to someone else? Doesn't matter, it's my choice on how I play the game.
Sigh you are not getting my point at all. Did you read what I wrote? Yes if you play at a level above the opposing player's level + his advantages you will win. My point is regarding players of equal level regarding play skill. KI needs to make gear important otherwise their is no point for anyone to buy anything from them or grind bosses you know play the game at the end game stage after story content is finished.

As for the PVP mentality. Yes I want PVP balanced its what I like to do. There are next to no other MMOs that have a turn based combat system like PIrate101 so its not like I have a choice about picking another MMO if your going to just tell me go somewhere else. Your worried that PVP is going to ruin PVE like it did to an extent on Wiz101. Why can't you see that is the very thing I am trying to avoid. By keeping all characters balanced at the same level KI can create content at a appropriate level.

I don't understand why creating a level playing field has been met with such vitriol. What objections to you have to allowing players to correct mistakes? How does this in anyway detract from the fun and uniqueness of P101.

I mean from KI point of view having players pump crowns into the game at earlier levels I imagine makes it more likely for them to stay with with game. Rather then gambling that they will make it to level cap and buy then.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Magistermundisum on Dec 10, 2012 wrote:
Hardly, a person who get a companion early puts in a hundred times more effort in leveling up that companion then the person who bought at 50 yet the person who bought at 50 gets a superior product that the person who put all the effort into leveling up there companion would never have. The fact of the matter is if 2 people buy the same item for the same price they should get the same product regardless of the level they are at. Say if the reverse was true and that if you bought a companion and it was past its promotion point but you were never able to get its promotion don't you think that would be unfair?

Yes in PVP strategy>Gear Including companions. However lets say I'm playing Joe and as happenstance would have it where are running the same class gear and companions except my companions are all at level 53. This gives me more options I can use against Joe. Why? Because if I send My level 53 companion vs the same level 50 companion the level 53 companion is going to win one on one. Yes strategy help Joe but his strategy are automatically more limited vs me.

If you want to have companions come in at levels above 50 that is fine by me. You are right in encourages players to use these companions while they are a little bit stronger then your average ones. However all I am saying is that all companions need to have the same cap out point. If you want to make that 53 that is fine but don't mess with the game balance.

And for all who say this is a PvP only problem that is complete and utter nonsense. All game functions must be balance properly. A great example is Wiz101's new expansion. I have heard from a great many sources of people complaining that the new expansion is way to hard due to KI balancing it based on the top level gear available which most casual players don't bother to get and thus the new expansion is to difficult. If that is the case then when the next P101 expansion hits think how difficult it might be if they balance around people having multiple level 53 companions.

Correct that your origin effects alot of things that can't be changed. I don't particularly like that about P101 but just about all the companions from your origin are roughly equal and the bonus you get a stat is the most concerning to me. I would like to see either a crown item that would let you change that if you decide later you want to change it. Everything else is mostly cosmetic or you can find an equal in the game.

The problem of just waiting till next expanion is that it repeats the problem with people waiting till 60 to get companions or grinding to 60 on old stuff then picking up companions later.

Also PVP is mostly end-game content that keeps players playing while waiting for new content so keeping it balanced is important.

Games favor those that do their homework but you should allow people to correct their mistakes once they do the Homework.
Did that person not have the patience to wait and not have the power and abilities of that companion in the game? Yes, in fact, that person did. That person made a choice and did get the exact same benefit as the person that waited, they got a companion that was higher level than they were! So, in fact, you are asking those that waited and did not have the benefit of that companion to give up that benefit of getting a companion of a higher level than you. Not exactly fair or on equal terms, now is it?

As for Balancing the game, the level 53 companions, not that you can get that many, do not have the epic talents as those that will be 50 or 51 via crown version. Sorry, but I will take my level 50 wagyu against any level 53 companion you choose and my Wagyu Sanjuro will win everytime, I promise you that. Not an opinion or exaggeration, but a pure fact of observation! So, where exactly is your unbalance again? Maybe that some companions are better than others? Well yes, but we all have the choice of which companions to take into PVP currently.

Also, it is not like you will have 3 companions at level 53 to bring into PVP, but even if you do, what talents will they have, how good do you think they will be? You think most of those that you get that high of a boost are that good? Typically those that give more levels have less Epic talents, which is why they get such a higher boost. So again, what is the problem here?

Now that you know, it is best to wait to do side quests that give companions till you reach the next level cap, y ou have learned with the rest of the spiral. You can correct your mistakes, simply start a new pirate and enjoy, again this is a crowns vs time approach, which KI has always done.

Not sure why you want to unbalance the game and not allow others the same benefits just because they had patience.

Community Leader
I didnt mean to ever say people HAD to do their homework, but the unfortunate truth with Pirate101, is that to be the best of the best (if thats someones goal, which it is to many) it requires it much like any other game.

There are certain features in the game that in order for us to "reconfigure" our pirate entirely requires us to start our pirates over. Should their be a way to reset an existing pirate entirely without starting over? Sure I have no problem with that.

Companion leveling is not a balance issue at all, evening the "playing field" in this regard is not an issue either, since everyone has the same options as far as companion leveling is concerned.

What I see here as being the problem at hand, is that those that have already progressed through the game see that others have taken better advantage of the games mechanics, and now they want a means of resetting their characters so they can now take the same advantages (or have these advantages others have worked for taken away). There are ways to reset the statistical choices made, but there is obviously not a means of correcting when someone obtained a companion (thereby controlling its "level").

The only place I see this possibly being an "issue" is with crown companions, especially those that are in-game equivalents. Using DarthJTs reference... a level 53 Wagyu does have an advantage over a level 50 Wagyu, sure. However a level 50 Wagyu would sweep up the ground over any in-game obtained level 51+ companion. Downside with current system, players that purchased companions, and want to reconfig 100%, would not only have to start a new pirate, but would have to repurchase their companions.

Would be nice if KI could come up with a way for those pirates to reset/restart, and not penalize those that worked for what they have, simply because of those that just "didnt know".

Maybe they should put some kind of a warning in crown shop when a companion is purchased.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
210
Magistermundisum on Dec 12, 2012 wrote:
Sigh you are not getting my point at all. Did you read what I wrote? Yes if you play at a level above the opposing player's level + his advantages you will win. My point is regarding players of equal level regarding play skill. KI needs to make gear important otherwise their is no point for anyone to buy anything from them or grind bosses you know play the game at the end game stage after story content is finished.

As for the PVP mentality. Yes I want PVP balanced its what I like to do. There are next to no other MMOs that have a turn based combat system like PIrate101 so its not like I have a choice about picking another MMO if your going to just tell me go somewhere else. Your worried that PVP is going to ruin PVE like it did to an extent on Wiz101. Why can't you see that is the very thing I am trying to avoid. By keeping all characters balanced at the same level KI can create content at a appropriate level.

I don't understand why creating a level playing field has been met with such vitriol. What objections to you have to allowing players to correct mistakes? How does this in anyway detract from the fun and uniqueness of P101.

I mean from KI point of view having players pump crowns into the game at earlier levels I imagine makes it more likely for them to stay with with game. Rather then gambling that they will make it to level cap and buy then.
What it boils down to, is people make 'mistakes' setting up their pirate, and now they regret it and want to change it. Hey, it would be great if we could change the questions we're asked at the beginning, but that's not going to happen. Generally, the first pirate that is made, is the one where you have the learning curve of the game.

Gear? Really? So now we're off the topic of alleged over-leveled companions and now we need to concentrate on gear being balanced?

Pirate101 is unique and has many different playing styles and combinations. Pirates will never be equal, because of the type of gear used (drops or purchase). Even the same level companion may be vastly different in talents, depending on how the pirate trained them. There are so many choices to make for a pirate. There can never be a perfectly level playing field.

The main content will always remain PvE. I will protest till the ends of the earth if PvP players want to change gear and companions till they think it's fair, because ultimately, it will affect PvE and how the majority will play the game.

Ensign
Jul 08, 2010
17
BrynnerOfReign on Dec 14, 2012 wrote:
What it boils down to, is people make 'mistakes' setting up their pirate, and now they regret it and want to change it. Hey, it would be great if we could change the questions we're asked at the beginning, but that's not going to happen. Generally, the first pirate that is made, is the one where you have the learning curve of the game.

Gear? Really? So now we're off the topic of alleged over-leveled companions and now we need to concentrate on gear being balanced?

Pirate101 is unique and has many different playing styles and combinations. Pirates will never be equal, because of the type of gear used (drops or purchase). Even the same level companion may be vastly different in talents, depending on how the pirate trained them. There are so many choices to make for a pirate. There can never be a perfectly level playing field.

The main content will always remain PvE. I will protest till the ends of the earth if PvP players want to change gear and companions till they think it's fair, because ultimately, it will affect PvE and how the majority will play the game.
Companions are effectively gear. That is what I was referring to.

Also on the whole homework thing. Its simply not intuitive that companions would be able to break level cap. Yes people would see they get companions at levels higher early on but I have never seen in any other game anything else break level cap so no one would have any reason to think companions would.

Perfectly leveled no. However I just want a roughly level playing field with no glaring advantage to certain players. And an exploit that allows players to break companion level caps is just that.

Also I'm still not understanding how letting companions all level up to 53 would be game breaking or unfair to PVE players. Yes its something you have to work for to get companions past level cap but if someone finds out after they have gotten a companion even if they where to spend 2 times a much effort on that companion there is simply no way for that companion to be equal to the one that was purchased at 50.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
Dr Zeppers on Dec 13, 2012 wrote:
I didnt mean to ever say people HAD to do their homework, but the unfortunate truth with Pirate101, is that to be the best of the best (if thats someones goal, which it is to many) it requires it much like any other game.

There are certain features in the game that in order for us to "reconfigure" our pirate entirely requires us to start our pirates over. Should their be a way to reset an existing pirate entirely without starting over? Sure I have no problem with that.

Companion leveling is not a balance issue at all, evening the "playing field" in this regard is not an issue either, since everyone has the same options as far as companion leveling is concerned.

What I see here as being the problem at hand, is that those that have already progressed through the game see that others have taken better advantage of the games mechanics, and now they want a means of resetting their characters so they can now take the same advantages (or have these advantages others have worked for taken away). There are ways to reset the statistical choices made, but there is obviously not a means of correcting when someone obtained a companion (thereby controlling its "level").

The only place I see this possibly being an "issue" is with crown companions, especially those that are in-game equivalents. Using DarthJTs reference... a level 53 Wagyu does have an advantage over a level 50 Wagyu, sure. However a level 50 Wagyu would sweep up the ground over any in-game obtained level 51+ companion. Downside with current system, players that purchased companions, and want to reconfig 100%, would not only have to start a new pirate, but would have to repurchase their companions.

Would be nice if KI could come up with a way for those pirates to reset/restart, and not penalize those that worked for what they have, simply because of those that just "didnt know".

Maybe they should put some kind of a warning in crown shop when a companion is purchased.
Err, I still hope you all know I am not talking about PvP, and I am definitely NOT talking about penalizing other players in any form or way.

I still think that me and Enochi are one one wavelength while the rest are on another wavelength. I really do not think that the issue is even debatable.

I don't see an issue with this at all. There is no 'sides' to this, there is no 'issue' with this, there really should not be an argument with this. Now, don't get me wrong, this post was INCREDIBLY interesting to read, this is what is making this kind of fun. But, this whole thing is now being split into two groups believing in two different things.

Again, I am not talking about PvP. I am not drawing PvP into this. Because ultimately, I could care less about it.

And Again, I am not lobbying for a penalty to be imposed on other players.

Let me say it this way. To heck with the level 50 level cap. I don't really care if a pirate walks around with level 51, 52, and 53 companions.

BUT, I care when I CANNOT walk around with a level 51, 52, or 53 companion just because I did not know. And I did not know because quite honestly, how was I supposed to know? Even with doing 'homework' the idea of bought companions beyond the level cap was the last thing to ever even occur to me. Because in my opinion, it is rather an unfair advantage all other players will have. (Not talking about PvP here, more about PvE 'difficulty' and combat.) And I did do homework. I browsed through the crownshop, and saw that 99% of the companions I bothered to look at were 50, while some were 49. (Remember, I was level 48 when I bought my crown companions.)

Ok, again, I am not trying to get other players penalized now because I am now a little bitter and want everything at 50. It is an optional fix that KI could implement that would make it fair all across the board. But ok, enough of that. No nerfing or penalizing. Fine.

Then I ask to be able to buy tomes to level my crown companions to the same level as other crown companions that were bought by level 50 pirates.

But, regardless, it is simply the harsh reality of it if nothing is changed or done, and I will simply have to accept it. So, again, I am not going about being mad because KI refuses to lowever everybody else's companions to 50. I am just a bit bitter because I just did not know. And honestly, who here would have any idea of knowing before reading posts about bought companions being above the level cap? I was one of those.

In a nutshell, here is a super easy simple fix without "penalizing those that worked for what they have, simply becase of those that just "didn't know".

Enable pirates to purchase tomes to level those companions in question to the level cap they would have had if a level 50 pirate had purchased them.

To wrap this up, thank you Enochi. You seem to be the only one that understands exactly what I am thinking and saying about this. Thank you.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
102
What's the big problem here? There is no huge advantage to having companions 1-2 levels over level 50. I could care less about that. After level 50 companions don't get any new talents or epics, and the amount of health that increases is so minimul it's barely noticeable. The only real difference is the number in the bottom right corner of their picture.

Ensign
Dec 13, 2009
44
Most everything has been said about this, but I do want to hit on two points:

1) Specifically regarding crown companions, this is a real money transaction. My real-life money has purchased these. The question at the start of the game is not a real money transaction, and you find the result out of your choice fairly early on. You can easily change this result by making a new character and trying a different choice, with no money spent, and maybe a half-day to a full-day of lost effort that you have to redo. A purchased crown companion not being at the same over-the-cap level as other peoples can only be fixed by effectively throwing away money you've already spent, and then spending it AGAIN. This is a double-whammy, and incredibly unfair to folks who support this game with our hard earned real-life money.

2) Try looking at this not from a balance, or fairness, or strategy, or patience perspective. Try looking at this the way KI will. I do not have any internal KI marketing data, but I'll wager that most crown companions are bought during leveling, not at 50, as that is when they are a)new and b)most useful.

-Now assuming this to be true, look at the scenario: by not letting the vast majority of purchased companions hit the same cap as the minority of purchased companions (those bought at 50), this is a penalty applied to the majority of purchases.
-As more purchasers find out about this penalty, less of them will feel happy about it. Not feeling happy with your purchase DOES NOT encourage a person to purchase again.
-Ergo, less happy purchasers making less purchases because of said unhappiness will result in less money for KI. Less money for KI means they will want to change something to get back to a "more money for KI" state.
-Happiness in purchases tends to come from a combination of usefulness and equilibrium - which is to say, not equal in every aspect, but able to be made similar, which in this case is level.

Seems simple.

1