Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I Thought Shield Stacking Was Banned?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I know shield stacking is banned in ranked PVP, I thought shield stacking was banned in unranked PVP, if it isn't it should be. My Privateer just lost a match to a Swashbuckler only because the Swashbuckler was able to shield stack 2 25% valors, and 1 50% valor at the same time at the very end of the match, I spread out my shields thinking this was banned and it costs me the match because I didn't have all 3 shields on the best unit, this isn't right. You shouldn't be able to have 2 25% and 1 50% at the same time in any PVP, that adds up to 100% damage reduce.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Aug 13, 2019 wrote:
I know shield stacking is banned in ranked PVP, I thought shield stacking was banned in unranked PVP, if it isn't it should be. My Privateer just lost a match to a Swashbuckler only because the Swashbuckler was able to shield stack 2 25% valors, and 1 50% valor at the same time at the very end of the match, I spread out my shields thinking this was banned and it costs me the match because I didn't have all 3 shields on the best unit, this isn't right. You shouldn't be able to have 2 25% and 1 50% at the same time in any PVP, that adds up to 100% damage reduce.
Shield stacking was allowed as a response to the super hits from buffed teams. You can counter stacked shields by Purge or by buffing your companions making them hit harder and reduce those shields.

Although your opponent had 3 shields going, it still took him time to apply them ( 3 rounds ) what were you doing during that time?
Ignorance of your capabilities and tactics will cost you a match.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wait a minute! Shield stacking isn't banned in Ranked PVP!

Community Leader
  1. Shield stacking isn't banned and has never been formally banned in ranked or spar PvP.
  2. Regardless of whether or not it was banned, shield stacking is almost always a bad idea. It makes Purge Magic much more deadly, as well as restricting your resources for a late game.
  3. I don't think you've tried stacking shields in this game to test what happens. Shields are multiplicative, not additive as you claim. For instance, a 50% shield and 2 25% shields do not give immunity. Instead, they give about 72% protection, a far cry from immunity. If you say, take a 100 damage attack, you can calculate this easily. 100*.75*.75*.5= 28.125 This obviously isn't immunity (if a unit takes 0 damage from an attack while having many shields on, it will be because their armor or magic resist is sufficiently high to negate the remaining incoming damage entirely)
  4. I'm very surprised that a swashbuckler was able to hold on to that many shields for as long as they did. This probably means that you weren't exerting enough pressure on him to force him to shield. Your Battle Zeal, Espirit, and other companion buffs will force the swashbuckler to shield to avoid taking damage in the early game. In the mid to late game, Soul Shroud and the threat of Assassin's Strikes make not shielding a risky proposition. You should have no problem beating a swashbuckler in an endgame if you exert pressure effectively.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Matthew525011 on Aug 13, 2019 wrote:
  1. Shield stacking isn't banned and has never been formally banned in ranked or spar PvP.
  2. Regardless of whether or not it was banned, shield stacking is almost always a bad idea. It makes Purge Magic much more deadly, as well as restricting your resources for a late game.
  3. I don't think you've tried stacking shields in this game to test what happens. Shields are multiplicative, not additive as you claim. For instance, a 50% shield and 2 25% shields do not give immunity. Instead, they give about 72% protection, a far cry from immunity. If you say, take a 100 damage attack, you can calculate this easily. 100*.75*.75*.5= 28.125 This obviously isn't immunity (if a unit takes 0 damage from an attack while having many shields on, it will be because their armor or magic resist is sufficiently high to negate the remaining incoming damage entirely)
  4. I'm very surprised that a swashbuckler was able to hold on to that many shields for as long as they did. This probably means that you weren't exerting enough pressure on him to force him to shield. Your Battle Zeal, Espirit, and other companion buffs will force the swashbuckler to shield to avoid taking damage in the early game. In the mid to late game, Soul Shroud and the threat of Assassin's Strikes make not shielding a risky proposition. You should have no problem beating a swashbuckler in an endgame if you exert pressure effectively.
They had already taken out my Old Scratch at the time, used all their buffs, used all their hides, and all companions had been defeated, if anything was different I an confident I am would have won, they only finished with 340 health., even with the 3 shields late in the game, they took a risk moving in all their companions and letting me take each one out and saved the shields for them, and it worked, but I didn't do anything wrong that I know of, maybe it was just bad luck?