Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New Doubloon Idea, Good Fortune

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Yesterday while farming on Pirate 101 I got to thinking, what if there was a doubloon that increased your chances of getting a good drop. My idea is for a new doubloon to be added to Pirate 101 called Good Fortune, which is obviously gold with a fortune cookie shape in the middle. My idea is to have different level Good Fortune doubloons, and the higher level the doubloon is, the more likely you get a good drop:

Level 0 Good Fortune - Adds additional 1% chance of getting a good drop when farming.
Level 1 Good Fortune - Adds 2% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 5 Good Fortune - Adds 5% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 10 Good Fortune - Adds 10% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 15 Good Fortune - Adds 15% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 20 Good Fortune - Adds 20% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 25 Good Fortune - Adds 25% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 30 Good Fortune - Adds 30% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 35 Good Fortune - Adds 35% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 40 Good Fortune - Adds 40% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 45 Good Fortune - Adds 45% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 50 Good Fortune - Adds 50% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 55 Good Fortune - Adds 55% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 60 Good Fortune - Adds 60% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 65 Good Fortune - Adds 65% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 70 Good Fortune - Adds 70% chance of getting a good drop.
Level 75 Good Fortune - Adds 75% chance of getting a good drop.

A Level 75 Good Fortune could be used to give you an additional 75% chance of getting Blood's Jacket when farming Captain Blood, or an additional 75% chance of getting Kane's Mask when farming Kane, but be careful, if you run out of Good Fortune you don't have it until a chest gives you another one.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jan 23, 2017 wrote:
Yesterday while farming on Pirate 101 I got to thinking, what if there was a doubloon that increased your chances of getting a good drop. My idea is for a new doubloon to be added to Pirate 101 called Good Fortune, which is obviously gold with a fortune cookie shape in the middle. My idea is to have different level Good Fortune doubloons, and the higher level the doubloon is, the more likely you get a good drop:

Level 0 Good Fortune - Adds additional 1% chance of getting a good drop when farming.

A Level 75 Good Fortune could be used to give you an additional 75% chance of getting Blood's Jacket when farming Captain Blood, or an additional 75% chance of getting Kane's Mask when farming Kane, but be careful, if you run out of Good Fortune you don't have it until a chest gives you another one.
First define "Good Drop", your idea of a good drop and mine may not coincide.
Also if you're farming in a group and everyone uses the max level doubloon then it may seem a guarantee to drop but I've seen cases of weird % RNG - like in the first year of P101 when a .001% companion shows up in battle.
I don't believe drops should be "guaranteed". Any more than a win is guaranteed.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I define a good drop as being something hard to get but that a lot of people want, 2 examples are Captain Blood's Jacket and Kane's Mask. My idea is for Good Fortune to increase the chance of getting items like these. You mentioned concern of guaranteeing items, but my idea is for a Level 75 Good Fortune doubloon to increase the chances by 75% of getting these items, not guarantee you get them. I was chatting about my idea in the Morphing Tent and another pirate had concern about my idea not working due to the random number generator, that said my idea is hopefully not as complicated as you would think it would be, to make it less complicated my idea is for Good Fortune to always increase the chance of getting certain items, but never increase the chance of getting other items. For example, if you used a Level 75 Good Fortune doubloon while fighting Kane, it would increase your chances of getting Kane's Mask by 75%, it would not increase your chances of getting any other item except Kane's Mask. The reason I say this I because I am pretty sure it would be to difficult to select an item and increase the chances of getting it, it might crash the game. In order to fix this my idea is for Good Fortune to be programmed to increase the chances for the same item every time(though it would help you get a different item for each fight, for example it would help you get Blood's Jacket when fighting Blood, and Kane's Mask when fighting Kane).

I hope this helps.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
I wonder what the superstitious anti doubloon farmers would say about this...

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jan 23, 2017 wrote:

I think when you say "good drop" I'm pretty sure you mean the "Rare" and higher drops (such as Blood's Jacket or Kane's Mask). I personally like this idea, except I think from Level 20 and up it's a bit too strong. Level 75 should most likely increase it by 35% or around there, or possibly there shouldn't even be levels and it should just be a doubloon like Treasure Bath since 4 pirates can use it. I personally think they should make it like Treasure Bath with no level, and increase the chance of getting a "good drop" randomly between 1-10%. It should also come only from bosses like: Kane, Moo, The Five, Dreadnaught, etc.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Yes you are correct, when I say "Good Drop" I mean "Rare Drop". That isn't a bad idea to make it like Treasure Bath. I agree with most of what you posted except I would give it a between 1% and 15% chance of getting a good drop, I think 10% is not big enough to make it worth it. This way if 4 pirates used it in a fight it would give them between a 4% and a 60% chance of getting a certain rare drop, which wouldn't guarantee a rare drop like Kane's Mask but would give it a way better chance of being dropped.

Here Is a list of some of the items I propose Good Fortune increasing the chance of getting:

Buster Crab - Orchid Chameleon
Captain Blood - Captain Blood's Jacket
Ch'ok Ak'ab - Dinolizard
Chumba Wumba - Orchid Chameleon
Dreadnaught - Haywire Swashbuckler Set
Earth Guardian - Earth Guardian's Helm
Fire Guardian - Fire Guardian's Medallion
Gortez - Fire Toad
Kane - Kane's Mask
Metal Guardian - Metal Guardian's Helm
Sato - Black Rain Shades
Spirit Of The Sea Foam - Sea Foam Spectre

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jan 26, 2017 wrote:
Yes you are correct, when I say "Good Drop" I mean "Rare Drop". That isn't a bad idea to make it like Treasure Bath. I agree with most of what you posted except I would give it a between 1% and 15% chance of getting a good drop, I think 10% is not big enough to make it worth it. This way if 4 pirates used it in a fight it would give them between a 4% and a 60% chance of getting a certain rare drop, which wouldn't guarantee a rare drop like Kane's Mask but would give it a way better chance of being dropped.

Here Is a list of some of the items I propose Good Fortune increasing the chance of getting:

Ch'ok Ak'ab - Dinolizard
Gortez - Fire Toad
Kane - Kane's Mask
Sato - Black Rain Shades
Ah yeah, that buff seems pretty good. Plus it's random so it's not like it's always gonna be 15% anyways .

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jan 26, 2017 wrote:

Ch'ok Ak'ab - Dinolizard
Gortez - Fire Toad
Kane - Kane's Mask
Sato - Black Rain Shades
Consider, though, that these bosses with rare drops - have more than one rare drop - there is no guarantee that you'll receive that drop you want, you may end up getting multiples of the other drops.
Captain Blood has 2 weapon styles as well as a hat & boots.
Buster Crab has a rare weapon as well as the pet ( BTW, any SI boss can drop the orchid chameleon. )
Ch'ok Ak'ab also has a ring ( several kinds ).
Dreadnaught has seven styles of weapons.
Gortez has a weapon, hat & armor besides the pet.
Kane especially has rare, carded gear for all classes of pirates, besides a pet and a mount.
All the others also have more than the one rare drop.
"Targeting" a drop would be impossible to code.
And it would become guaranteed if more than one player uses "Good Fortune" in the battle.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Remember, my idea calls for Good Fortune to only increase the chance of getting certain items. For the Kane fight it would always and only increase the chance of getting Kane's Mask.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Not exactly saying that this a completely bad idea - we all could use a little extra luck; but compare Treasure Bath to this proposed "Good Fortune" Doubloon:
Treasure Bath is a zero level doubloon - any level can use it, and the amount of treasure is based on the player's level.
So why not simplify this doubloon? Make the doubloon zero level and the amount of luck dependent on the player's level. And nothing over 50%, please.
Or I foresee a time when players will refuse to enter a dungeon team-up unless one or more of the team is carrying "Good Fortune".
If anything, this shouldn't be a drop from the group chest, but a Black Market doubloon for scrip at the same amount as the current doubloon in the BM.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I personally agree with Richard that Good Fortune should be dropped from the same bosses that drop the rare items. I also agree that my original idea should be modified.

So here is my modified idea:

Make Good Fortune a Level 0 doubloon that increases the chance of getting a rare item like Kane's mask anywhere between 1% and 15%. If 4 pirates used this doubloon it would give them between 4% and 60% extra chance of getting an item like Kane's Mask. Good Fortune should be rewarded from boss fights like Kane. But remember Good Fortune wouldn't drop every fight, it might take 3 or 4 fights with Kane or another boss to get a single Good Fortune doubloon.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 27, 2017 wrote:
Consider, though, that these bosses with rare drops - have more than one rare drop - there is no guarantee that you'll receive that drop you want, you may end up getting multiples of the other drops.
Captain Blood has 2 weapon styles as well as a hat & boots.
Buster Crab has a rare weapon as well as the pet ( BTW, any SI boss can drop the orchid chameleon. )
Ch'ok Ak'ab also has a ring ( several kinds ).
Dreadnaught has seven styles of weapons.
Gortez has a weapon, hat & armor besides the pet.
Kane especially has rare, carded gear for all classes of pirates, besides a pet and a mount.
All the others also have more than the one rare drop.
"Targeting" a drop would be impossible to code.
And it would become guaranteed if more than one player uses "Good Fortune" in the battle.
But we don't always get a rare drop don't we? For example, I was farming Blood yesterday and all I got on the last run I remember was, some gear that could be found at the bazaar if I had to guess and housing items. Also at the Dreadnaught, I remember when i did a few runs, I got mostly housing items and no gear.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 25, 2017 wrote:
I wonder what the superstitious anti doubloon farmers would say about this...
They would say:
"Don't use treasure bath because it cancels out good fortune."
"Don't use good fortune until the last round."
"Don't use any coin buffs with good fortune ( because you use up the luck )."
"If the entire team uses good fortune, everyone gets what they want." ( So don't let someone on the team up who doesn't have Good Fortune. )
Myth Busting in advance!

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jan 27, 2017 wrote:
I personally agree with Richard that Good Fortune should be dropped from the same bosses that drop the rare items. I also agree that my original idea should be modified.

So here is my modified idea:

Make Good Fortune a Level 0 doubloon that increases the chance of getting a rare item like Kane's mask anywhere between 1% and 15%. If 4 pirates used this doubloon it would give them between 4% and 60% extra chance of getting an item like Kane's Mask. Good Fortune should be rewarded from boss fights like Kane. But remember Good Fortune wouldn't drop every fight, it might take 3 or 4 fights with Kane or another boss to get a single Good Fortune doubloon.
Yeah that's what I meant. Good Fortune couldn't be called "too overpowered" or "too underpowered" cause, you'll never know

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 28, 2017 wrote:
They would say:
"Don't use treasure bath because it cancels out good fortune."
"Don't use good fortune until the last round."
"Don't use any coin buffs with good fortune ( because you use up the luck )."
"If the entire team uses good fortune, everyone gets what they want." ( So don't let someone on the team up who doesn't have Good Fortune. )
Myth Busting in advance!
It's rare for me to see the "superstitious anti doubloon farmers", but I'm guessing that's exactly the stuff they'd come up with lol. If Good Fortune is going to be hard to acquire (saying that it only comes from big/hard bosses and/or you need to pay Scrip to get it at the Black Market), I would hope they understand that it's hard, not everyone has the time to do all the farming and such. Many kids have time restrictions (my cousin Caitlin only gets 45 minutes to play) and some just don't have enough time since they have a ton of homework and/or they have to go to work and get their rest. The people who only wants people on the team only with Good Fortune need to understand. Besides, if they have a lot of time since they only want people with Good Fortune, that must mean they have a lot of time and a lot of the Doubloon as well since they wouldn't want to be left out, so they could just give that person Good Fortune through trading

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Would Treasure Bath really cancel out Good Fortune? Hadn't thought of that but I guess that could happen.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jan 29, 2017 wrote:
Would Treasure Bath really cancel out Good Fortune? Hadn't thought of that but I guess that could happen.
I doubt it, though they are really similar, they have different functions. Treasure Bath gives you extra gold, Good Fortune gives you some more chance percentage to get rare drops. I think it's impossible since Treasure Bath gives a pile of gold at the end of battle, it's not a piece of equipment (or drop) so yeah.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Merciless Richard ... on Jan 30, 2017 wrote:
I doubt it, though they are really similar, they have different functions. Treasure Bath gives you extra gold, Good Fortune gives you some more chance percentage to get rare drops. I think it's impossible since Treasure Bath gives a pile of gold at the end of battle, it's not a piece of equipment (or drop) so yeah.
I meant my reply to be ironic. Myth believers come up with the most ridiculous bovine by-product when it comes to doubloons and drops.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Merciless Richard ... on Jan 29, 2017 wrote:
It's rare for me to see the "superstitious anti doubloon farmers", but I'm guessing that's exactly the stuff they'd come up with lol. If Good Fortune is going to be hard to acquire (saying that it only comes from big/hard bosses and/or you need to pay Scrip to get it at the Black Market), I would hope they understand that it's hard, not everyone has the time to do all the farming and such. Many kids have time restrictions (my cousin Caitlin only gets 45 minutes to play) and some just don't have enough time since they have a ton of homework and/or they have to go to work and get their rest. The people who only wants people on the team only with Good Fortune need to understand. Besides, if they have a lot of time since they only want people with Good Fortune, that must mean they have a lot of time and a lot of the Doubloon as well since they wouldn't want to be left out, so they could just give that person Good Fortune through trading
I think it would be wonderful if players were like that; but my time in the Tower of Moo and the Great Machine has shown me otherwise.
Myth believers base their myths on a few successful or unsuccessful runs and the use or non-use of doubloons.
Whenever I questioned them on their beliefs, it was always "based on my observations, so and so happens".
They don't care about other players, it's about them and their drops and if you use a doubloon, which in their opinion reduces their chances, you'll never hear the end of it.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 30, 2017 wrote:
I meant my reply to be ironic. Myth believers come up with the most ridiculous bovine by-product when it comes to doubloons and drops.
Ah okay, sorry it's hard for me to see irony (idk why).

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 30, 2017 wrote:
I think it would be wonderful if players were like that; but my time in the Tower of Moo and the Great Machine has shown me otherwise.
Myth believers base their myths on a few successful or unsuccessful runs and the use or non-use of doubloons.
Whenever I questioned them on their beliefs, it was always "based on my observations, so and so happens".
They don't care about other players, it's about them and their drops and if you use a doubloon, which in their opinion reduces their chances, you'll never hear the end of it.
Right! It gets to the point where I either have to ignore them, or if everyone in the run is against me, I will just leave as I don't wish to be somewhere where I'm not wanted.