Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Best Companions In game?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
I want to see what you all think are the best companions, I'll start...

Cat Pirate. Easily the best swashbuckler, with great abilities and epic choices. Of course due to him being in the Boochbeard Bundle, he is an extremely rare sight now. Most people who have them stopped playing. But, if ever you are against him or with him, you'll find one thing.

You'll find out why he used to rule the skyways!

Community Leader
Scratch. No contest.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Apr 22, 2020 wrote:
Scratch. No contest.
Over-used doesn't necessarily mean best. It depends on battle circumstances, as size of battle board and make up of enemy units.

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
Scratch. No contest.
I agree. And Either Lucky Jack Russell or Bonnie Anne follow in a not so close second

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
no, it's definitely scratch.

the ability to push a mojo storm from 600 - 1200 with a single buff
the ability to push musketeer bombs from essentially 1k - 2k (1k on initial, then an addition 1k via traps) with a single buff
the ability to push privateer bombs up to 1k with a single buff, (while we're mentioning it, heals, absorbs also get buffed up.)
swashbuckler poisons and bleeds (proven this in an earlier thread.)

this is also ignoring blood flames.

it's silly to assume there's a better comp than the enabler.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I know I can't convince players about Old Scratch, but there are just some instances/enemies where he's a poor choice.
When facing buck and bucklers on small battleboard, he'll be taken down in one round from Vicious/Cruel Charges or Assassin's Strikes and that Flow Mojo Flow only last 3 rounds.
You may be able to get one set of bombs/traps/blood flames, whatever. but you'll be going before Scratchy buffs.
Unless you move him to the back or he's already there, he won't be much help when he ends up on bed rest.
Plus he has no defenses like readied spell.

Ensign
Mar 16, 2020
anecorbie on Apr 22, 2020 wrote:
Over-used doesn't necessarily mean best. It depends on battle circumstances, as size of battle board and make up of enemy units.
Who is the best companion then, in your opinion?

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Louis, it may be some bias but he is a musket companion that I can actually rely on. Has the highest armor stat of any musket (aside from his counterpart) and trap powers to accompany your own, plus Overwatch 3. He may not have burst fire but he's an actual tank.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Zangetsu9714 on Apr 25, 2020 wrote:
Who is the best companion then, in your opinion?
"Best" companions are the ones you chose to face certain fights. There is no such thing as a perfect team.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Scratch. No contest.
I don't think he is best because he still requires some set up. Cat Pirate is broken beyond belief all the time.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
anecorbie on Apr 24, 2020 wrote:
I know I can't convince players about Old Scratch, but there are just some instances/enemies where he's a poor choice.
When facing buck and bucklers on small battleboard, he'll be taken down in one round from Vicious/Cruel Charges or Assassin's Strikes and that Flow Mojo Flow only last 3 rounds.
You may be able to get one set of bombs/traps/blood flames, whatever. but you'll be going before Scratchy buffs.
Unless you move him to the back or he's already there, he won't be much help when he ends up on bed rest.
Plus he has no defenses like readied spell.
In my opinion, he isn't the best but still top 5. If you can get him to the back and get him to start spamming buffs, then it's very hard to beat you.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
anecorbie on Apr 27, 2020 wrote:
"Best" companions are the ones you chose to face certain fights. There is no such thing as a perfect team.
Some teams are certainly better than others though. Having a team with no diversity is bound to end in disaster. And some companions are innately better than others. Like Bonnie and the Centaur Queen are definitely top Musketeers.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
scratch getting his 100% mojo flow is basically all he's used for regardless
doesn't matter if he falls if he gets that off, in most cases the battleboards are too big to traverse in one turn (unless you have a vicious, and this is only present in va2, same with assassins.)
really, most unforted comps in pve are going to die in one turn to a vicious or assassin, especially assassins since i am fairly certain they're bugged.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I'll voice my opinion here.

From the perspective of a PvE player like myself, Black Anne Rackham is very good. She has the capability to absolutely tear through enemies, even if her short range makes her undesirable in PvP.

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
chiliman05 on Apr 28, 2020 wrote:
Some teams are certainly better than others though. Having a team with no diversity is bound to end in disaster. And some companions are innately better than others. Like Bonnie and the Centaur Queen are definitely top Musketeers.
The centaur, well, doesn't work well too much with a team based on my experience . Bonnie I'll go for second, Lucky Jack Russell third, scratch first and the centaur queen could be around tenth or eleventh.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
chiliman05 on Apr 28, 2020 wrote:
Yet Nausica ( centaur Queen ) can only use her epics in a face to face situation, unless you've shielded her somehow, she's very vulnerable to attacks.
Zeena, Lefty & Louis ( as well as his Crown shop clone, Pepe ) are comparable.

@ caleb10104: his mojo flow only lasts 3 rounds, once he's down and the buff wears off; then what? You forgot about Highland Charge. I believe there's a pet that grants this, so potentially any class can get to scratch in one round even on a large board.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Lookit Light on Apr 29, 2020 wrote:
I'll voice my opinion here.

From the perspective of a PvE player like myself, Black Anne Rackham is very good. She has the capability to absolutely tear through enemies, even if her short range makes her undesirable in PvP.
Yes, for certain. Black Annie Rackham might take Annie's spot as queen of musketeers. The only thing that makes her undesirable is the amount of work you would need to put in to get her.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
anecorbie on Apr 30, 2020 wrote:
Yet Nausica ( centaur Queen ) can only use her epics in a face to face situation, unless you've shielded her somehow, she's very vulnerable to attacks.

@ caleb10104: his mojo flow only lasts 3 rounds, once he's down and the buff wears off; then what? You forgot about Highland Charge. I believe there's a pet that grants this, so potentially any class can get to scratch in one round even on a large board.
Nausica, from what I can tell, has extreme range. She seems to be able to outrange most musketeers by 2 or 3 tiles. At least in PVE testing, the ninja pigs in mooshu can't hit her, but she can hit them.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011

People know that Scratch is a vulnerable companion. He tends to be guarded to stop a rush.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020

no, that's not a pet grant, and the only instance i can see it being used in pve is nightmare scratch

this also isn't spar chamber, 90% of pve battles are done in 3-4 rounds, with multiple scratch's turn 2, before the buffs even wear off.

really the only battles i'd say you don't normally finish in 2 turns with a group would be moo and kane, and with the right defensive structure scratch shouldn't even be touched in that battle (gracie or rat)

and if the fight goes off past 3-4 turns, enemies should be in cleanup phase anyways lol

Community Leader

"Then what?" The fight is over, because you've done so much damage as a result of at least doubling (much more if you're in a group) the damage on all of your mojo-based attacks.

There's no pet that grants actual highland charge. Time warp is a different thing, that does double movement, but is incredibly unlikely to proc on a given round, unless the pet is unable to move.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Matthew525011 on Apr 30, 2020 wrote:
"Then what?" The fight is over, because you've done so much damage as a result of at least doubling (much more if you're in a group) the damage on all of your mojo-based attacks.

There's no pet that grants actual highland charge. Time warp is a different thing, that does double movement, but is incredibly unlikely to proc on a given round, unless the pet is unable to move.
One of the strongest things the buffs do is affect the healing ability of privateers. Seriously, you don't know what broken is until you watch a privateer heal 3000 damage from everyone on a team.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Scratch is only good because ki made him that way on purpose since everybody was complaining about how bad he was.

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
If we want best MELEE companions, I would put in egg shen or lucky jack Russell