Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Struggling player asking for help ;;;--

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 22, 2013
Hey, bit of a rookie here.
I have a lvl 67 witchdoctor and I think over the course of my playthrough, I've made a lot of mistakes. Like, choosing the wrong stats/epics for companions, not farming any of the dungeons, neglecting all my companions, and just not... knowing how to fight as a witchdoctor. I know my error was choosing the hardest class to play as, but I would like to learn the strategy of combat for this game, since Valencia2 really killed my entire team, and I literally just like threw my companions into the fray lol. I still haven't even finished Valencia2, I seriously don't know the endgame of this game cause I kept dying to the horse guards at the beginning. I also struggled a lot in Aquila, it was probably because I chose the worst companions to bring to battle and that's when I think about the error I made about neglecting companions.
...I think I struggled in Marleybone too :/
Is there any hope for my witchdoctor? Should I give up on her and make another character from scratch? I seriously don't know what to do, I don't know how to manage companion points properly or even level up all my lower level companions, can you even do that? Has anyone ever maxed their entire crew? Veteran players, is that even possible? To what extent should I take the term "versatile comp" seriously for this game because some people say that some of the companions in the lower ranks are not that great, but I don't even know if they maxed them out. Or like even how.
I know the key to beating Valencia2 is battle strategy, and I'm just really struggling on that because I never thought about that. I didn't even know that people equated all the companions to this game as DPS/tank/support because I didn't even realize the complexity of the companions in this game. My gear is bad too because well, i never once farmed a single dungeon for strong gear in this game, let alone even know of these dungeons. Except for Miranda, but even then um... no one showed up in the team up. My only run of moo manchu was a failure because everyone quit like in the middle of the dungeon and I got hard carried lol.
I feel like I need a guide or like tips for this whole game generally because i'm very confused and overwhelmed by the game itself, like it feels like there's so many game mechanics that i've missed to understand or like secrets that i never knew, i don't know. I wanna max my character efficiently.
I just need help. #revivepirate101

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009
Don't be discouraged! Every single one of us ran into the difficulty spike at the beginning of Valencia 2 and had to relearn what we thought we knew. My first Pirate was a witchdoctor, and I have three or four others of various levels. They aren't the hardest class to play, so I'm sorry you think so. They play best as a defensive, ranged team leader, summoning creatures to help them defeat the enemies.

Yes, there is surely hope for your witchdoctor. Having companions at seriously lower levels than your pirate sure is a handicap, but perfectly fixable. You may need to take a bit of a vacation while accomplishing this, and hopefully you have at least a few companions at your same level -- send them Keel Haulin' right now to get training tomes - you can buy up to ten, and have up to ten companions getting them for free. USE THEM TO TRAIN whoever you can, whichever are your favorites. Eventually, you need to get your crew ALL up to your own level.

If you haven't been utilizing Companion Orders, learn about them here:

http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?61994-quot-Hey!-You-re-Not-Doing-Anything-Useful-Right-Now-quot-A-Guide-to-Companion-Tasks

You can send everyone who isn't your First Mate off to do something that will earn your pirate training tomes, gear, gold, nautical xp and even their own experience to help them level up.

Creating a second pirate would give you something to do while you work on your Witchdoctor's issues, so consider which class you might like to try. I would suggest Musketeer if you like the ranged fighting style, but if your instinct is to rush in, go with Buccaneer. Privateer is a unique class that many find overwhelming, so I'd suggest saving it for later.

OR - it's never too late to go back and farm for good gear. There are many places and options you can choose, but with your team out on orders, maybe go somewhere and farm single-battle bosses. Start in Cool Ranch with Tyson, and work your way up to MooShu and Marleybone, changing out your old gear with good power-giving stuff.

Visit with us over on Pirate101 Central or one of the other fan site for more advice and even more immediate help. We're happy to help a new pirate enjoy the skyways!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mortelix on May 20, 2021 wrote:
Hey, bit of a rookie here.
I have a lvl 67 witchdoctor and I think over the course of my playthrough, I've made a lot of mistakes. Like, choosing the wrong stats/epics for companions, not farming any of the dungeons, neglecting all my companions, and just not... knowing how to fight as a witchdoctor. I know my error was choosing the hardest class to play as, but I would like to learn the strategy of combat for this game, since Valencia2 really killed my entire team, and I literally just like threw my companions into the fray lol. I still haven't even finished Valencia2, I seriously don't know the endgame of this game cause I kept dying to the horse guards at the beginning. I also struggled a lot in Aquila, it was probably because I chose the worst companions to bring to battle and that's when I think about the error I made about neglecting companions.
...I think I struggled in Marleybone too :/
Is there any hope for my witchdoctor? Should I give up on her and make another character from scratch? I seriously don't know what to do, I don't know how to manage companion points properly or even level up all my lower level companions, can you even do that? Has anyone ever maxed their entire crew? Veteran players, is that even possible? To what extent should I take the term "versatile comp" seriously for this game because some people say that some of the companions in the lower ranks are not that great, but I don't even know if they maxed them out. Or like even how.
I know the key to beating Valencia2 is battle strategy, and I'm just really struggling on that because I never thought about that. I didn't even know that people equated all the companions to this game as DPS/tank/support because I didn't even realize the complexity of the companions in this game. My gear is bad too because well, i never once farmed a single dungeon for strong gear in this game, let alone even know of these dungeons. Except for Miranda, but even then um... no one showed up in the team up. My only run of moo manchu was a failure because everyone quit like in the middle of the dungeon and I got hard carried lol.
I feel like I need a guide or like tips for this whole game generally because i'm very confused and overwhelmed by the game itself, like it feels like there's so many game mechanics that i've missed to understand or like secrets that i never knew, i don't know. I wanna max my character efficiently.
I just need help. #revivepirate101
Welcome to the message boards, Mortelix!
Wow, that's some tall order you're requesting. I will say this - don't delete your Witchdoctor, any bad talents/power choices can be changed for crowns ( a reset), the only things that can't be changed occur in the character creation ( origin, parent's death, why the armada arrested you, etc.)
As a Witchdoctor, the most important stat is your Will (you find this on your character page) the higher the Will the more effective your spells will be. That is why most WD choose Krokotopia as their point of origin (giving them extra Spooky). If you didn't choose Krok, don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the other origins; extra Accuracy, Toughness, Damage or Dodgy, are valuable, too.
Now, companions, we all get many great - good companions, even those some players consider as "terrible" First to answer your question: yes, you can level those companions who are lagging behind. Assign them to the Task called "Brawlin'" for them to earn their own experience, this may take a little time, so be patient. Some companions can earn training tomes (as long as they're your level or higher) choose the task called "Keelhaulin'" for this; it'll take 24 hrs per tome (when you have 10 tomes, they will be unable to continue) use up the tomes and seek them to task again. All my max level pirates have maxed companions.
If you are lacking in Nautical experience, the task called "Sailin'" will gain you experience for your ship level.
Moo Tower is your best bet to gain wonderful gear for your Witchdoctor, keep trying, eventually you will get a team that is eager to complete it ( a word of warning, do not engage in the "cabin glitch", if a player asks you to use it, it's against KI Terms of Service and may cause you to be banned).
If you have more questions are need an in-depth response, Pirate101 Central can help.
Good Luck!

Ensign
Sep 25, 2014
The solution to your problem is called Old Scratch. Use him.