Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What are lesser companions?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
O.k., I think I might be a little behind the times, but what are lesser companions?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
There are many players who "rank" their companions, preferring certain ones over others, thereby labeling them best, better and lesser.

Personally, I choose to think of my crew as "differently-abled," because there are always battles where some companions come in very handy even if they don't have a lot of epic talents or promotions.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
piratelover410 on Feb 1, 2019 wrote:
O.k., I think I might be a little behind the times, but what are lesser companions?
They're a term some of us use to stand for companions that are, unfortunately, far overshadowed by others, and therefore, never used.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
piratelover410 on Feb 1, 2019 wrote:
Lesser companions are those that the majority of players believe are sub-par and not worth recruiting, training or promoting, because they lack in epics compared to other, more powerful companions.
I firmly believe this is nonsense. Having more companions leveled, trained and promoted benefits a player by giving them choices beyond their "best" 3.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Specifically, picture Ju Hao as compared to Fan Flanders. Better stats, Epic Talent availability, and the presence of promotions make Fan go ahead, while Ju Hao is left behind. Ju Hao is a prime example of a Lesser Companion, alongside the many others. Hidenari Kuga, Nanu Nanu and others are far overshadowed by Mormo and Nausica, for example. They are left behind and almost never used.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Feb 1, 2019 wrote:
Lesser companions are those that the majority of players believe are sub-par and not worth recruiting, training or promoting, because they lack in epics compared to other, more powerful companions.
I firmly believe this is nonsense. Having more companions leveled, trained and promoted benefits a player by giving them choices beyond their "best" 3.
Exactly! Nonsense! I just made a thread diseussing lesser water mole companions as an example.

(https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-tavern/building-lesser-companions-a-break-from-the-cold-8ad6a42b689e04dc0168aa4ff2f62eea?page=1)

One of those companions is Oingo Boingo, the least of all the so-called lesser companions. Anything that anyone can provide about good combat quality with him is a thing to be treasured. Very much.

I have two "Lesser" companions that are quite amazing. Ridolfo Cappoferro and Tyson. Ridolfo is a master fencer who can pull off amazing hits, and Tyson is an absolute BEAST on the battlefield. They are living proof that lesser is greater! LESSER IS GREATER!

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
Oh, I see now, thanks for replying, I learned a lot.