Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Bottleneck issue with new characters

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 09, 2011
One of the new changes I saw listed is that the troggie battles when starting off on skull island are now limited to one player at a time. While I can understand how not having others jump into your fight would be nice for new players trying to learn the ropes, it is creating the side effect of a bottleneck at the mission to free Livsey.

There are only 3 maps people seem to be able to battle on to get the key from the shaman and since each one only holds one player at a time now, they are all full. I am there during an off-peak time and already there are a large number of people standing around on the sidelines doing nothing and waiting for one of the spaces to free up so they can advance the story. Then there is a mad rush to tag one of the newly spawned troggies to move on with the quest. If the chance of the key dropping is still less than 100% then this is an even bigger problem.

The Livsey mission needs to be the start of the return to 4 player battles or there needs to be an option to skip that mission. As it is now, it is very frustrating. If I was a new player and not a returning one, running into a snag like this early in the game would make me have second thoughts about continuing.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
The way around the problem is to switch realms. And, if you want to stay in first realm you were in, return to that realm after you are done freeing Livsey and getting the information from the camp of Cutthroats.

There are two ways to switch realms. The first is to use the drop-down Help And Options menu. Select Options and then select Realm and Area (the world with the two headed arrow above it), Now Select a Realm that is either Perfect or Normal. The second way is to use ctrl-m to go directly to the Realm selection window.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
If you are getting stuck waiting for a troggey shaman to appear, you can always go to options and switch to and emptier realm.

Ensign
Dec 09, 2011
Thanks guys. That is a good work around. I still stand by my original suggestion though for the sake of new players who may not know about switching realms. Or maybe KI should add a pop-up at that point that explains about realms. I would hate to see new players get a negative impression of the game and possibly walk away over what amounts to a minor issue.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
It would be a good idea to add a tip about realms. There could be a lot of players new to MMO who might not know about it. If the new player area is having crowding issues, this seems a good way to introduce it. If they keep the single player for the new player quest, maybe they could build some paths to a few more jungle clearings, just for the overflow.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2012
i believe KI is just trying to find a way to deal with the issue of FTP players that are at the trogs that just stand there and do nuthing when they join a battle.

I have not returned to 2 or the 5 chars i have made because after the 3rd char i got tired of having to stand there in a battle and wait for the whole timer to count down over and over because some FTP player didn't want to hit done or didn't want to move after they joined the battle.

Changing realms is the best to do for now until KI finds a better way to deal with the issue.

Cruel Darius Blake(65)
KI's Black Sheep

Community Leader
Calamity Finch on Jun 11, 2013 wrote:
It would be a good idea to add a tip about realms. There could be a lot of players new to MMO who might not know about it. If the new player area is having crowding issues, this seems a good way to introduce it. If they keep the single player for the new player quest, maybe they could build some paths to a few more jungle clearings, just for the overflow.
I really like this idea too, about adding a tooltip on Realm hopping early in the game - Livsey's quest looks like a good place to do it. Even players who have done MMOs before may not realize they can change Realms (servers), many other games lock you into a specific server when you first sign up.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio