Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How PvP has already made the game dumb

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Pirate101 has made the decision not to nerf character classes but to instead buff the others. Privateers have been playing strong in practice PvP, so what happens, instead of making it so buffs do not stack the game has instead placed the unique cards of the privateer on the equipment of everyone else and to an insane degree. Case in point the now overly powered witchdoctor that has two superior barrage cards on equipment accompanied with three (ya 3) valor's armor cards. After seeing this I already want to quit even wanting ranked PvP to come out. The privateer lacks attacks and unique cards and abilities, it has its barrages (now everyone has them in multiples) and it has its valor's shield (it has one and the witchdoctor gets 3?). Group heals are one thing but they heal for hundreds not thousands and privateers don't have much going for them attack wise and the witchdoctor has high damage mass attack spells that heal them for more than a privateer ever could. Three valor's armor cards on any character is insane.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Oh seasnake, you were posting so well until now.

Ok, let me help you out here.

The Privateers can get on their token, charm, and ring Assassins strike. This does 3x damage and always hits. If you have the right gear, you really should see how powerful this is. I have seen privateers do over 2200 damage, without the bleeding.

So, how may I ask are the privateers lacking?

Not to mention their heals, barrages, boosts, valor's armor, etc.

Ensign
May 29, 2011
I kinda agree. My own musketeer has 2 absorb spells on him. When ranked comes out, I can tell we'll see this pretty often. I think KI should stop handing out spells like thery're cookies. Instead of giving people the absorb spell, why not the minor one instead? Your ruining the over all unique-ness of spell when your giving it out to everyone.

You kinda make it seem like privateers are underpowered though. Being a privateer myself, I know exactly what your saying. Although 3 absorb spells is beastly, it will only delay the fight, and might not change it. If we stack battle zeal and esprit de corps it shouldnt be much a prolem to wipe out those absorbs quickly.

But still, I hope KI does keep making gear that is giving other school spells. Why not just give copies the own school spells instead?

Ensign
Dec 05, 2009
seasnake on Dec 28, 2012 wrote:
Pirate101 has made the decision not to nerf character classes but to instead buff the others. Privateers have been playing strong in practice PvP, so what happens, instead of making it so buffs do not stack the game has instead placed the unique cards of the privateer on the equipment of everyone else and to an insane degree. Case in point the now overly powered witchdoctor that has two superior barrage cards on equipment accompanied with three (ya 3) valor's armor cards. After seeing this I already want to quit even wanting ranked PvP to come out. The privateer lacks attacks and unique cards and abilities, it has its barrages (now everyone has them in multiples) and it has its valor's shield (it has one and the witchdoctor gets 3?). Group heals are one thing but they heal for hundreds not thousands and privateers don't have much going for them attack wise and the witchdoctor has high damage mass attack spells that heal them for more than a privateer ever could. Three valor's armor cards on any character is insane.
You clearly don't understand this as you aren't a witchdoctor. Witchdoctors are currently the second underpowered class next to buccaneers, which KI already knows. If anything witchdoctors needed this but they are still under powered. Our last spell only deals 40 damage to every enemy directly in front of us up to 4 spaces. We have no heals and Jobu's embrace only deals 200 per enemy, which is only about 2-3 enemies left at the point where you need to heal. that's a healing of 300 not even including that the enemy will have shields and valor armor, and that 300 health it gives us will be gone in the next turn. minor healing heals 200. We have no way of defense and we need this although it wont make a difference because no one will get it. If anything we need a more permanent solution like fixing our spells. go read my post on witchdoctors and you'll see why you don't understand what you're talking about.

Ensign
Oct 27, 2009
Those items were in the game before pvp was in test so how is it pvp's fault? As it usually does, the competitive nature of pvp just bring problems that already exist to light. Pvp deserves your thanks, not your criticism.

Captain
May 13, 2011
KI cant please everyone. try making a game yourself and see how 'easy' it is

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Darth JT on Dec 28, 2012 wrote:
Oh seasnake, you were posting so well until now.

Ok, let me help you out here.

The Privateers can get on their token, charm, and ring Assassins strike. This does 3x damage and always hits. If you have the right gear, you really should see how powerful this is. I have seen privateers do over 2200 damage, without the bleeding.

So, how may I ask are the privateers lacking?

Not to mention their heals, barrages, boosts, valor's armor, etc.
my privateer goes with a staff, it won't go melee weapons as first strike, reposte, and the like outstrips it, so all those cards you mention they have are worthless to my character

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Doom Pirate on Dec 28, 2012 wrote:
You clearly don't understand this as you aren't a witchdoctor. Witchdoctors are currently the second underpowered class next to buccaneers, which KI already knows. If anything witchdoctors needed this but they are still under powered. Our last spell only deals 40 damage to every enemy directly in front of us up to 4 spaces. We have no heals and Jobu's embrace only deals 200 per enemy, which is only about 2-3 enemies left at the point where you need to heal. that's a healing of 300 not even including that the enemy will have shields and valor armor, and that 300 health it gives us will be gone in the next turn. minor healing heals 200. We have no way of defense and we need this although it wont make a difference because no one will get it. If anything we need a more permanent solution like fixing our spells. go read my post on witchdoctors and you'll see why you don't understand what you're talking about.
I've been playing with witchdoctors in PvE and I can't keep up with them there, all the equipment changes have to be practice PvP related as they and their companions appear very strong in game play. I'm seeing their hits going 600 to 800 and their mass hits 400 to 600. I don't know what level you are, but I'm referring to level 50 characters. Fixing your own spells would have been ideal, giving away the uniquenesses of other characters is a line that should not have been approached.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Nesogra on Dec 28, 2012 wrote:
Those items were in the game before pvp was in test so how is it pvp's fault? As it usually does, the competitive nature of pvp just bring problems that already exist to light. Pvp deserves your thanks, not your criticism.
They were not, on equipment sites these items were tagged as being newly added.

Ensign
Dec 05, 2009
seasnake on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
I've been playing with witchdoctors in PvE and I can't keep up with them there, all the equipment changes have to be practice PvP related as they and their companions appear very strong in game play. I'm seeing their hits going 600 to 800 and their mass hits 400 to 600. I don't know what level you are, but I'm referring to level 50 characters. Fixing your own spells would have been ideal, giving away the uniquenesses of other characters is a line that should not have been approached.
Well yes, obviously I am level 50. The only strong companion we have is Kan Po, who has 1500 health and dies almost instantly. These high hits you see only occur on extremely rare occasions, mojo storm usually does 250-350. If you as a privateer can't keep up with witchdoctors, let alone crush them, then you probably just aren't very good at pvp. And I don't know what you're talking about. Privateers can get mojo blade, the best juju spells, and 3 assassin strikes. If anything witchdoctors are still under powered, and my gear is nearly the best so "fixing my spells" isn't applicable. Also, not every witchdoctor will have all of that gear. I've farmed for it for days have haven't gotten it. This gear would bring witchdoctors closer to being a balanced school, but honestly how many of them do you think will have all of it or maybe even part of it? There is no excuse for a privateer to not be able to kill a witchdoctor, gear or no gear.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Witches are powerful, their disadvantage is defense. Giving defense abilities to witches is PERFECT for high level gear, making them stronger. Remember, the pvp system is still new. I doubt anyone thought pvp was perfect in w101 was perfect.

Dead-eye Luke, Awesome
Cunning Luke Sharp, Nearly-Awesome

Ensign
Oct 27, 2009
They were not, on equipment sites these items were tagged as being newly added.
Newly added means they were just found by that site. Many of the items and other items with privateer powers were found by the members of central before pvp was added to test:

pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7272-No-auction-equipment-guide-%28all-levels%29/page9&p=72154#post72154
pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7272-No-auction-equipment-guide-%28all-levels%29/page10&p=73536#post73536
pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7272-No-auction-equipment-guide-%28all-levels%29/page8&p=69827#post69827
pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7272-No-auction-equipment-guide-%28all-levels%29/page5&p=66130#post66130
pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7272-No-auction-equipment-guide-%28all-levels%29/page2&p=58447#post58447
pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7272-No-auction-equipment-guide-%28all-levels%29/page3&p=63724#post63724

Central members and the wiki contributors tend to finds things first because of the number of members on it but even they may take months to find and record an item. There is nothing to suggest the items were newly added to the game when many were found before pvp was in test.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
my privateer goes with a staff, it won't go melee weapons as first strike, reposte, and the like outstrips it, so all those cards you mention they have are worthless to my character
So, your underpowered Privateer and complaints are based upon your own choices? I wonder how many other classes could say they are underpowered if they went with different choices of weapons, say a Musketeer with a Smashy/Slashy Weapon, or a Swashbuckler with a Shooty Weapon...

The means and abilities are their, it is once again, personal choice on how each class is played and how powerful they are.

Proof that once again, classes are more balanced than people realize.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Darth JT on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
So, your underpowered Privateer and complaints are based upon your own choices? I wonder how many other classes could say they are underpowered if they went with different choices of weapons, say a Musketeer with a Smashy/Slashy Weapon, or a Swashbuckler with a Shooty Weapon...

The means and abilities are their, it is once again, personal choice on how each class is played and how powerful they are.

Proof that once again, classes are more balanced than people realize.
I never once said that my privateer was either underpowered or lost in PvP, those are your assumptions of which I find funny.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
seasnake on Jan 3, 2013 wrote:
I never once said that my privateer was either underpowered or lost in PvP, those are your assumptions of which I find funny.
What I find funny seasnake, is this is your topic, your post, and you stated:

"How PVP has already made the game dumb"

You stated how cards on gear/equipment makes "in your opinion" overpowered classes, even more overpowered.

Now, let's be real here. Which classes are overpowered? The Privateer? The Witchdoctor? The Musketeer? The SwashBuckler? Wait, we are almost to all the classes, so how can every class be overpowered?

The problem that I see Seasnake, is that people make the assumption that 1 thing makes a class unique and giving that talent defeats the purpose of that class.

How many witchdoctors do you know have as many heals as a Privateer? Do they have all the accuracy/dodge boosts? Do they have Discipline or as I love it being called, crtispiration?

Now, same goes for Musketeers, Who else has all of their powerful multi-attack cards, bombs and traps?

I can go on and on how unique each and every class is, state how these things make this class "Overpowered" as you seem to like to throw that word around so much.

How can all these classes be overpowered, would that not just make them efficiently powered? Who is beating whom on the battlefield? I have seen Every class be able to defeat anyone, except for 1 class that is underpowered.

So, to summarize, there is no overpowered anything, so please quit using that term. PvP has not made this game dumb or done anything that effects the uniqueness to the classes. So please, quit overexaggerating and making issues over nothing.

Ensign
May 29, 2011
Witch doctors arent the only one seasnake. My lvl 40 musketeer just yesterday finished his 3 valors armor quest. ( got all 3 farming for armadillo ) He also has a lvl 45 hat ( which i'm planning to wear ) that gives "The big guns" privateer barrage spell.

It looks like witch doctors arent the only one who can achieve 3 valors armor......Cause now my own musketeer has 3.

Man, I am going to dominate pvp.

But sadly, my privateer is still hunting for those 3 assassins strikes.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Darth JT on Jan 3, 2013 wrote:
What I find funny seasnake, is this is your topic, your post, and you stated:

"How PVP has already made the game dumb"

You stated how cards on gear/equipment makes "in your opinion" overpowered classes, even more overpowered.

Now, let's be real here. Which classes are overpowered? The Privateer? The Witchdoctor? The Musketeer? The SwashBuckler? Wait, we are almost to all the classes, so how can every class be overpowered?

The problem that I see Seasnake, is that people make the assumption that 1 thing makes a class unique and giving that talent defeats the purpose of that class.

How many witchdoctors do you know have as many heals as a Privateer? Do they have all the accuracy/dodge boosts? Do they have Discipline or as I love it being called, crtispiration?

Now, same goes for Musketeers, Who else has all of their powerful multi-attack cards, bombs and traps?

I can go on and on how unique each and every class is, state how these things make this class "Overpowered" as you seem to like to throw that word around so much.

How can all these classes be overpowered, would that not just make them efficiently powered? Who is beating whom on the battlefield? I have seen Every class be able to defeat anyone, except for 1 class that is underpowered.

So, to summarize, there is no overpowered anything, so please quit using that term. PvP has not made this game dumb or done anything that effects the uniqueness to the classes. So please, quit overexaggerating and making issues over nothing.
My complaint largely was about making the various classes more generic by giving all the other classes their special cards and in the case of valor's armor of which is a privateer's card much more of them than the class that actually learns them is able to even have. I am all for evening up the playing field, but I'd much rather it be done by giving the classes stronger talents or new talents that are for their class. From what I can tell, the cards on the equipment of the other classes are supposed to take the place of treasure cards in Wizard101 of which has always been a sore topic with many players in Wizard101.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
seasnake on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
My complaint largely was about making the various classes more generic by giving all the other classes their special cards and in the case of valor's armor of which is a privateer's card much more of them than the class that actually learns them is able to even have. I am all for evening up the playing field, but I'd much rather it be done by giving the classes stronger talents or new talents that are for their class. From what I can tell, the cards on the equipment of the other classes are supposed to take the place of treasure cards in Wizard101 of which has always been a sore topic with many players in Wizard101.
Classes more Generic by 1 card? Seriously?

Treasure cards in PvP on Wizard101 are disliked for a few reasons, mostly because new players dont know how to use them and whine and complain about them. 2. Because they give low level wizards high level attacks. 3. Because people complain and cry when they lose and there is always a reason besides their own strategy.

So, now people whine and complain here on practice pvp, because of a couple cards that are level based, on gear only? And you want to say it makes classes Generic? Seriously?

Show me any possible way that any of these cards make any class generic and not unique, prove me wrong seasnake. I can give you a ton of reasons how each class is still very much unique and not made generic by these items.

If you cant win, just say you cant win, people can help you with strategy, but to complain over everything without any facts or evidence to back up your claims, you are not helping your case any, it just sounds like you are whining... Sorry bud, but that's what it sounds like. Now, if you need some cheese or advice, I can help you with both, but please, bring something besides wild accusations.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Its more than one card, valor's armor, barrages, and all the other cards and all done on a class preferential system where only certain classes can use such equipment. I'd either like class specific cards on the equipment or the class restrictions to use equipment dropped as long as they can use that type of armor.

Ensign
Dec 22, 2008
Last time I checked, pvp was optional and is one of those things to do when you run out of quests or get bored of quests and want to test your skill and socialize.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Epic Patrick on Jan 6, 2013 wrote:
Last time I checked, pvp was optional and is one of those things to do when you run out of quests or get bored of quests and want to test your skill and socialize.
The entire game is optional.

Community Leader
Epic Patrick on Jan 6, 2013 wrote:
The reason that even non-PvP players are interested in changes made for PvP reasons is that those changes will also have an effect on PvE. You can't change how strong a spell is or add another ability and have it not show up in the regular game. For that reason, how KI approaches changes impacts all players, whether you personally PvP or not.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
If I am understanding the various posts by the OP, they are saying the issue (In their opinion) that by providing various gear that gives certain classes another classes signature moves it is causing undesirable circumstances.

Personally, I think this is an outside of the box perspective. Just seeing the gear and abilities, and "thinking" it is going to cause issues without actually "experiencing" any issues.

I have considered many of the cross combo weapons for example because of many of these cool gear cards my various pirates have obtained. The fact of the matter is, that seldom do these make or break a pirate. If your trying to build the best strongest pirate for PVP your likely best in buffing/focusing on that pirate classes strengths, and not trying to nerf them with cross class combos.

I have found no advantage to using a staffy weapon on a Privateer for example. No reason to put a slashy/stabby weapon on a Witchdoctor, no reason to put a shooty weapon in the hands of a Swashbuckler. However they do provide a number of interesting alternatives to play the game with.

I seriously doubt any of these cross combo weapons, and cross class gear abilities etc are going to make a huge difference in PVP, as using them to any extent will likely make the pirate actually less effective than focusing on that pirates classes strengths.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Jan 7, 2013 wrote:
If I am understanding the various posts by the OP, they are saying the issue (In their opinion) that by providing various gear that gives certain classes another classes signature moves it is causing undesirable circumstances.

Personally, I think this is an outside of the box perspective. Just seeing the gear and abilities, and "thinking" it is going to cause issues without actually "experiencing" any issues.

I have considered many of the cross combo weapons for example because of many of these cool gear cards my various pirates have obtained. The fact of the matter is, that seldom do these make or break a pirate. If your trying to build the best strongest pirate for PVP your likely best in buffing/focusing on that pirate classes strengths, and not trying to nerf them with cross class combos.

I have found no advantage to using a staffy weapon on a Privateer for example. No reason to put a slashy/stabby weapon on a Witchdoctor, no reason to put a shooty weapon in the hands of a Swashbuckler. However they do provide a number of interesting alternatives to play the game with.

I seriously doubt any of these cross combo weapons, and cross class gear abilities etc are going to make a huge difference in PVP, as using them to any extent will likely make the pirate actually less effective than focusing on that pirates classes strengths.
I would like to see the class restrictions on equipment removed. The only restrictions I favor is based upon whether or not you are able to use light, medium, or heavy armor.

Ensign
Apr 28, 2011
Underestimating privateers, eh?
I once played a level 50 privateer and some other team. On my team was me, a level 50 buccaneer (who left at the end of the game), and two other teams. The level 50 privateer was insane. All the main guy would do would use his beneficial powers (He had a ton of them. He even had Big Juju and Wind Spirit!), while his crew would slash away. All his beneficial powers (and healing powers) would make his crew pretty much unstoppable, and they ended up winning that game.
Think of this battle when you underestimate privateers.

Bloody Nigel Templeton, Level 28