Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashy Noob

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
So I have a level 65 Privateer and I decided to make a Swashbuckler character. Swashbucklers are so much more different than Privateers! I have been having a difficult time with it all. Do you pro Swashbucklers have any tips for a beginner? I've just reached level 15 and I recently learned First Strike.

Thanks!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DrParrot on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:
So I have a level 65 Privateer and I decided to make a Swashbuckler character. Swashbucklers are so much more different than Privateers! I have been having a difficult time with it all. Do you pro Swashbucklers have any tips for a beginner? I've just reached level 15 and I recently learned First Strike.

Thanks!
Read the post "What is a Swashbuckler?" everything you want to know about being a swashbuckler is found there.

Ensign
Jul 06, 2013
Hello Dr.Parrot! (Thanks for replying to my fav. Quest post! )

I was a swashbuckler before and I have some tips/facts for you about swashbucklers.

1. Swashbucklers DO NOT use heavy armor. They are meant to be light and agile on their feet.
2. Swashbucklers tend to lack in health, but they have the most damage. I would look for ways to boost your Health.
3. Swashbucklers need to increase their AGILITY. Look for ways to boost that. (Clothes, weapons, etc.)
4. USE GOOD COMPANIONS IN BATTLE IT HELPS A LOT! At your level I see that right now you should be using the frog adventurer. She has a lot of power ups that can help you in battle.

NOTE: Can you also give me privateer tips? I was looking into being a privateer but I do not know barely anything about it.

Thanks,
ColdRoPlay

Lieutenant
Sep 10, 2009
Switching from Privateer to Swashbuckler is an extreme change. Those 2 classes are different in all perspectives. On tip I can give you is make sure you have a much assassin's strikes powers. Also if you have Walk in Darkness, or Walk in Shadows use that first then use Back Stab or any other powerful moves. Also since Swashbucklers have extreme dodge, have a move that can reduce the enemies accuracy so Vicious Charge or Brutal Charge, and do something called "Rushing". Plus make sure you have a Stabby Weapon with you always. The reason there is a thing called Stabby Weapon Ranked 1 is so your damage will increase with a Stabby Weapon.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks!
Well for starters make sure to get gear that increase your agility and dodge to make your attacks stronger and to have riposte activate more via the dodge. Next there are a few little tricks that go alongside your walk in the shadows power.

Walk in the shadows+ your poison powers: You can use your invisibility to not only apply poison but to let it hit them a few times before the turns run out
Walk in the shadows+ stabbing: Combining the two will make very strong attacks and can help clear the way

You can even mix the two and do the Shadow Stab (as I call it) on the last turn of the invisibility

Next how to defeat Witchdoctors and Musketeers aka the anti-swashbucklers
If your expecting musketeers then get at 1-2 strong musketeer companions, especially ones like Nausica
If your expecting Witchdoctors then get Witch hunter companions for the battle
Also make sure who attack the witchdoctors/musketeers FIRST as they are your highest threats

And finally your Ideal companion mix for a swashbuckler are the following

El Toro+ Fan Flanders+ Sarah Steele: My current companion mix and gets some very strong attacks in. (It can even solo the Labyrinth with nobody dying) El Toro is a slightly supporting attacker and the other two are your power hitters as well.
Fan Flanders+ Sarah Steele+ Musketeer/Swashbuckler of choice: This is a mix that you would be good until you get El Toro. Fan Flanders will boost your agility (Thus powering both your choice companion and Sarah steele) which is always nice :D (It also can be a good mix against Musketeers)
While there are other combinations I found these to be the most effective based on what stage your at.

Remember that El Toro is better off sided out when facing Musketeers and Witchdoctors as his dodge won't be very effective

Petty Officer
Mar 09, 2013
The basis of a privateer is to avoid the action, and boost the companions abilities from afar, while a swashy is right in the thick of it, dealing heavy damage all around. I advise using your hidden power on the first round of combat, and going in with an assassin strike. Train as a privateer with your practice points for the healing and defense. With first strike two, avoid enemies with vengeance strike two or you could be dealt a lot of damage. Once you have riposte, than go for it. Find ways to boost agility, health, and dodge. If you need more information, there is a topic on these forums called "what is a swashbuckler".
Clever Sam Jones

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Well, being the max level swashbuckler I am, did you choose grizzleheim for where you were raised? Swashbucklers have the least amount of health so that'd come in handy.

Your best bet for companions should be (at your level) fan flanders, subodai, and maybe Sarah Steele. Fan has good powers to help you in battle. Subodai is a massive health powerhouse. I almost never use SS, but she does pretty good damage.

Your best choice for a weapon would be stabby weapons. They will give you the best damage. Don't go for something like slashy, smashy, for staffy.

Hope this helped, and good luck to yer swashbuckler!

Black Wolf Bowman, Twilight Cowboy

Ensign
Sep 30, 2012
Hi! I'm a swashbuckler myself, and I'm one level away from the max, so I hope I can give you some advice.
The sneak attack, assassin's strike, and back stab moves should almost always be used after being hidden. It's also not a bad idea to train privateer as a side class, because you won't have too much health. You may need heals. Good luck!

-Your friendly pig

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
Welcome to Swashbucklers! If you've been having a difficult time you may want to look for more dodgy and damage gear. These are the main aspects of Swashbucklers and will make it easier. Musketeers also can help a lot, so Companions like Bonnie will be kind of useful. Companions that can tank more hits like Ratbeard would also be more helpful to support you in combat. I would also suggest you train up to Privateer for really good heals, and elusive which gives you more dodge when you are below a certain amount of health so you can riposte more once you get riposte. Enjoy the Swashbuckler class!

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012

Thanks!
Funny, I have a level 65 Swashbuckler and I sort of had a difficult time with my Privateer. Hmmm... lets see...

1) Balance your stats. I personally don't focus on dodge because it's already great enough as is. I focus on evening out my accuracy and as much armor as possible. It'll never compare to as much armor as a Privateer or a Buccaneer, but the more the merrier. The extra accuracy helps you kill the enemy faster instead of vice versa if you miss too much.

2) Attack big! A Swashbuckler's low health isn't going to last to attack just a small amount at a time. The more damage at first the better. I always hide first and use whatever power to either help my team, increase my critical chance, or use any poison power. SHHH!!! I have to tell you something... *cautiously looks right and left* The hidden power doesn't go away when you use a poison power. Not sure if you already knew that or not, but I found that out in the later levels. Then I use the last round of the hidden power to attack with either Assassin's Strike, Back Stab, or Sneak Attack and take advantage of that additional damage. With that much damage in one turn, it won't take long to bring down your enemy so they won't knock you out before you knock them out.

3) A good secondary class. Of course for any class, I suggest Privateer powers and talents up to Rouse and Elusive 2 first. After that, I suggest the Buccaneer class for it can add +8 armor with Armor 1 and 2 together. Triton's Song helps too.

4) Get good gear! If I don't happen to have good gear from a rare drop, I just focus on Agility, Health, and Armor. It has done me well for many quests, but those rare drops are nice to have. I know up to Level 45 on my Swash, I had the following from Friar Sand...

Tantojutsu Headband: Grants Valor's Fortress!? I'm not passing that up.

Shaolinquan Vestment: Rouse and Bonnie Anne's Second Wind may not be enough in an intense battle, so Revive would really come in handy.

Boots of Sanctuary OR Boots of Binding: Boots of Sanctuary gives Valor's Fortress and Boots of Binding gives Revive. I switch them depending on what kind of battle, but I mostly use Boots of Sanctuary. I think it's best to have more armor to save up as much health as possible.

As for Totems, Charms, and Rings, I focus on Accuracy, Health, and Armor.

Up to Level 65, I went back to the whole Agility, Health, and Armor stats until I find new gear that doesn't take crowns. I have yet to find them. Hopefully the nefarious tower would grant just that! As for the weapon of course, Blades of Shade is your best bet for your Swashy.

*With the advanced pets, I just so happen to have a pet (Golden Stingtail) that gives Kraken's Lament. With all these armor powers, my little Swashy would be difficult to knock out.

I hoped this helped!

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
It does help a swashie to have some Privateer healing abilities, but Musketeer also makes a decent side class.
Musketeer weapons also gain a bonus from agility, so shooty/stabby weapons make a great choice if you want something a bit different. And, the musketeer class has some very usefull agility boost abilities available that I've found very helpful as a swashy.

But don't forget to train slashy weapons as well. It's a ways off for you just yet, but the best weapon in the game right now for swashies, or just about melee pirate is the Blades of Shade, which is slashy/stabby. Although it benefits from agility.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

Thanks!
After I maxed my Swashbuckler I started a Privateer. It's definitely different. I actually have a pirate from each class and I think Swashbucklers are the easiest to play. All you really need to do is...attack. You can do huge damage even without buffs. Keep your dodge up because Riposte does good damage also. When questing your dodge and riposte are your life. In pvp...not so much. When you pvp you can change your gear that boosts your dodge to gear that gives you defense like Valor's Armor or healing like Revive. There is lots of gear for Swashbucklers that give you the healing and defense along with either an agility boost or added weapon power which is pretty much the same thing. I wouldn't worry about increasing your health too much. It's not necessary for questing and in pvp I think that the heals and defense will serve you better than gear that gives you more health. What's the most you can boost your health anyway? 400 or so? Revive heals you for around 700 and Valor's Armor blocks around 1200. Valor's Fortress could potentially block 2500 or more if you get hit each of the 5 rounds it is in effect for. Just remember to choose companions that compliment your style. A musketeer and buccaneer companion would serve you well. Lastly, one thing I can say, with utmost confidence, is now you are playing the class with the most class. Swashbucklers are the coolest class by far. We got style.

Petty Officer
Aug 13, 2012
Coldroplay on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:

I was a swashbuckler before and I have some tips/facts for you about swashbucklers.

1. Swashbucklers DO NOT use heavy armor. They are meant to be light and agile on their feet.
2. Swashbucklers tend to lack in health, but they have the most damage. I would look for ways to boost your Health.
3. Swashbucklers need to increase their AGILITY. Look for ways to boost that. (Clothes, weapons, etc.)
4. USE GOOD COMPANIONS IN BATTLE IT HELPS A LOT! At your level I see that right now you should be using the frog adventurer. She has a lot of power ups that can help you in battle.

NOTE: Can you also give me privateer tips? I was looking into being a privateer but I do not know barely anything about it.

Thanks,
ColdRoPlay
I've got a couple of privateer tips

1.increase Will simple as that sense you are a healer

2.privateers are pretty much have better defense when it come to either Malay attacks and magic so try to balance out Defense and Resistance

3. Strategy wise when you get gunnery use it on an enemy cause if you leave out some space there will be a chance where a fire will appear and a chance if that enemy is going to get damage by stepping on it but be aware that it doesn't always happen until you advance on and get the other power that is going to spread more fires than gunnery

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
Wow thanks guys for all the help! I found these boots that give Wind Spirit so I use that and Fan Flander's Wind Spirit to get a huge Agility boost.

I will definitely be using all of these tips and tricks on the battle field

Thanks! Lvl 17

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
Coldroplay on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:

Thanks,
ColdRoPlay
Thanks for all of the useful tips and hints! Now here's some for Privateer!

As stated by Spiral Cowboy and Richard Ashthorn, the Privateers and Swashbucklers and practically opposite for each other! Swashbucklers are up in front doing massive damage, while the strategy for Privateers is to sit back, enhance his companions and let them do all the dirty work.

1. Use tons of heavy armor. Privateers are good distractions and, with a lot of health and armor, can easily take it. Privateers get a Talent called Loud which makes enemies more likely to attack him.
2. Always make sure your companions have a good amount of health while battling, because without your companions, what good are your buffs? I fond that once I lose a companion, stuff goes in a downward spiral from there.
3. Always try to increase their Will. Privateers also get extra attack with Slashy weapons if they have a higher Strength, but it isn't very useful because they let their companions fight for them. Will increases the effectiveness of their buffs and heals. Fighting Fervor and Iron Will give great boosts when you as well as your companions have boosted Will.
4. I use many Swashbucklers in battle because my buffs give them Dodge boosts and Critical Hit boosts so their Riposte attacks do massive damage. (Riposte always makes the attack stronger just in case you didn't know.) I have once hit over 1000 on a Critical Riposte with El Toro.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013

Thanks!
well dude, i being a max swashy may have some advice for you. first of all, you cannot be as aggressive as you are with a privateer. swashbucklers have lower health then privateers, so you must think your moves carefully. one wrong move and you could be dead meat, so think your moves over carefully.