Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Great Quackosaurus Experiment

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I am always excited when someone discovers a new hybrid, and Decius has indicated a large number of hybrids remain undiscovered. I have morphed a large number of pets since the feature was introduced, but not in a particularly organized way and I have never recorded my efforts. Last month I decided to make an organized push to discover a new hybrid, and to keep records of my experiments.

I decided to use the Quackosaurus as the base pet, and to keep morphing other pet types with it until I discovered a new hybrid. I picked the Quackosaurus as the constant because (1) it is one of the standard (non-gift card, non-pack) pets that is not part of any known hybrid combination; (2) I had several good ones on all three of my accounts to work from; and (3) they are very cute and one of my favorite pets.

I decided on fifteen morphs with each combination. If I do not find a hybrid in fifteen morphs, I move on. Any number I choose for the number of morphs is going to be somewhat arbitrary. But since I generally morph a new hybrid as soon as someone discovers it and posts the information on this forum, and only once after more than a dozen hybrid morphings have I ever needed to go over fifteen to succeed, it seemed a reasonable number to select.

I have completed running twenty-five combinations, involving thirteen different pirates. I will post the result as soon as this thread is up and I can "reply" to it.

-Indigo

Lieutenant
Jul 11, 2009
Remember that any pet that comes from a GIFT CARD will not have a hybrid (yes there was the one and ONLY exception)

also the Original ostrich and the Skarakeet will not produce anything other than their related versions

but that still leaves you 93 other pets you get to try / GOOD LUCK

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Here is Part 2 (of 3) of my initial report, the 25 matches I have tried so far. The pirates that generously donated their time and hard-won gold to these experiments are noted in parentheses.

1. Quackosaurus + Fire Toad (Rogan)
2. Quackosaurus + Ebon Specter (David Gordon)
3. Quackosaurus + Bunnicorn (Beatriz Voss)
4. Quackosaurus + Mechanical Owl (David Gordon)
5. Quackosaurus + Dinolizard (Chase Nichols)
6. Quackosaurus + White-Tailed Jackalope (Rogan)
7. Quackosaurus + Not-so-great White Shark (Chase Nichols)
8. Quackosaurus + Clownfish (Taryn Devaraux)
9. Quackosaurus + Corrupted Imperial Lion (Rogan)
10. Quackosaurus + Cutie Chameleon (Alexandra Burke)
11. Quackosaurus + Golden Stingtail (Beatriz Voss)
12. Quackosaurus + Celestial Dragon (Silver Roslyn)
13. Quackosaurus + Iguana (Dark Griffin Orne)
14. Quackosaurus + Mini-Minotaur (Brianna Donnelly)
15. Quackosaurus + Tropical Sky Snake (Kestrel Vintner)
16. Quackosaurus + Thresher Shark (David Gordon)
17. Quackosaurus + Inky Octopus (Beatriz Voss)
18. Quackosaurus + Orchid Chameleon (Silent Quinn)
19. Quackosaurus + Sabretoothed Bunny (Chase Nichols)
20. Quackosaurus + Ostrich (Beatriz Voss)
21. Quackosaurus + Silver Buffaloon (Karic Atherton)
22. Quackosaurus + Lion Fish (Angel)
23. Quackosaurus + Crocogator (Rogan)
24. Quackosaurus + Violet Bubblefish (David Gordon)
25. Quackosaurus + Armadillo Verde (Chase Nichols)

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
01Shadowblade on May 7, 2015 wrote:
Remember that any pet that comes from a GIFT CARD will not have a hybrid (yes there was the one and ONLY exception)

also the Original ostrich and the Skarakeet will not produce anything other than their related versions

but that still leaves you 93 other pets you get to try / GOOD LUCK
93 known....

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Here is part 3 of the report.

Here are the total results of the Q-Series morphing experiments to date:
8 Fire Toads
6 Ebon Specters
7 Bunnicorns
6 Mechanical Owls
8 Dinolizards
6 White-tailed Jackolopes
8 Not-so-great White Sharkes
6 Clownfish
9 Corrupted Imperial Lions
6 Cutie Chameleons
9 Golden Stingtails
6 Celestial Dragons
4 Iguanas
7 Mini-Minotaurs
12 Tropical Skysnakes
6 Thresher Sharks
10 Inky Octopi
6 Orchid Chameleons
7 Sabre-Toothed Bunnies
8 Blue Ostriches
8 Silver Buffaloons
10 Lion Fish
6 Crockogators
7 Violet Bubblefish
6 Armadillos Verde
193 Quackosauri

NEW HYBRIDS: 0.

Total cost for the 375 morphings: 7,258,800 gold

For the record, it takes a fair amount of time to farm for 7.2 million gold.

-Indigo

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Indigo Ring on May 7, 2015 wrote:
Here is part 3 of the report.

Here are the total results of the Q-Series morphing experiments to date:
8 Fire Toads
6 Ebon Specters
7 Bunnicorns
6 Mechanical Owls
8 Dinolizards
6 White-tailed Jackolopes
8 Not-so-great White Sharkes
6 Clownfish
9 Corrupted Imperial Lions
6 Cutie Chameleons
9 Golden Stingtails
6 Celestial Dragons
4 Iguanas
7 Mini-Minotaurs
12 Tropical Skysnakes
6 Thresher Sharks
10 Inky Octopi
6 Orchid Chameleons
7 Sabre-Toothed Bunnies
8 Blue Ostriches
8 Silver Buffaloons
10 Lion Fish
6 Crockogators
7 Violet Bubblefish
6 Armadillos Verde
193 Quackosauri

NEW HYBRIDS: 0.

Total cost for the 375 morphings: 7,258,800 gold

For the record, it takes a fair amount of time to farm for 7.2 million gold.

-Indigo
"Total cost for the 375 morphings: 7,258,800 gold"

Cost for for a truly Quack-tacular morphing experience......priceless!

I admire and appreciate your dogged determination Indigo! That's quite an experiment that you have set into play. Best of luck to you and I sure hope you find that winning combination and strike hybrid gold (a Quackadillo has a nice ring to it...and even a Quackogator or Quack-O-Jack).

It appears that you have been fairly fortunate in your morphing (despite your recent 7.2 million gold endeavor), as a couple of known hybrids have taken me over that 15 morph attempts #. Most have been successful for me in the 'under 10 range' but the Clocktopus took me 34, I believe. A couple others took close to or just above 20 as well. Also, almost all pirates that I chat morphology with have had that 1 or 2 stubborn pairing that just wouldn't play nice with each other. I've run into a lot of players that have had at least one 'shy guy' that has taken, 25+, 30+ and even a couple with an astonishing 40+ attempts before putting a leash on the known hybrid.

Hopefully, a winning combination, wasn't one of those rare, stubborn times and you didn't already try the correct recipe. I have used a couple parents that ended up making an, at the time, unknown hybrid 10-20 tries, only to give up and read that someone else found a hybrid from the same exact pairing.

I am quite sure that with your resilience you are destined for Hybrid Discovery. Maybe the rest of us could start a gold fundraiser to help cover your Q-series experiment. 7.2 million!!!

Good luck Indigo!

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
Hep thanks you for the donation of gold in the morphing tent. It helps keep all the pets in the stables happy.

I bet Friar Sand is a bit upset with you though.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Also Indigo, and you may already know this...but the fastest and most efficient way to get gold is to log in 2 accounts (or 4 if Fiorenza logs in 2- using 2 different computers) and head to Achaea, in the area down the hill from where the Hydra's Cave is (just past Stymphalia)-- next to some Centaurs.

If only using 2 accounts and 2 pirates, you can use the spot where 2 chests spawn and in 10 mins. I usually accumulate anywhere from 35,000-50,000 gold, on average. Just mark the spot, grab the chests, hit escape to pirate select screen, jump back in game, switch realms and grab the chests again. You can grab them both without hardly moving and it only takes about 10-12 seconds to complete the 'log in/log-out switch realm cycle' once you get accustom to it. You don't even have to wait until your pirate is fully loaded to open up the realm selection tab with Control-M.

There are always a ton of 2 person group chests and in order to maximize your time and gold grabbin', just skip over the 4 person chests (unless you have friends on to share the wealth with). But if no friends are on, just cycle realms, grab chests and when you find a 2 lock chest, port your other pirate in and hold down the 'X' button as you port in-- to grab it 'instantly'.

When I am in 'morphing mission mode', I hit the tent morph, then recall back to Achaea. While the morphing timer is resetting I realm hop at a fast-n-furious pace and scoop up all the regular chests and 2 lock chests I can. Then when the timer hits about 45 seconds left, just port to Skull Island and hit the tent again (or use your second pirate to mark the tent and port in). You can pay for 2+ morphs in those 10 mins and I have gotten as much as in the 60-65 gold range, in the 10 mins. while the timer ticks. So, in an hour you can usually get around 200,000-300,000 gold...providing you keep up with it the whole time and don't mind the repetitive boredom factor-- the things we do for morphing, gheeeesh!!!

Good luck!

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
1. I make more gold per hour at Moo Manchu Tower than at Friar Sand.
2. If you want to set up a time to morph, I will make sure I have max gold and morph with ya- if I have a pet you need.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Valkoor: "It appears that you have been fairly fortunate in your morphing..."

Fiorenza has pointed out before that I tend to be luckier than her when trying to successfully morph a newly-discovered hybrid. I think the longest it has taken me was 18 attempts. Going with 15 for the Q experiments was perhaps a bit optimistic, but I had to pick some ending point.

Valkoor: "Hopefully, a winning combination, wasn't one of those rare, stubborn times and you didn't already try the correct recipe."

That is one of my fears - that I tried a combination that could potentially have produced a hybrid, but just failed to do so in the 15 morphs. If I run through all of the combinations without finding a hybrid, I am not sure if I will (1) run a few more (maybe five) experiments for each combination or (2) pick a few that I was really hopeful about and run them many more times (10 to 15). I am hoping that Decius (erudite and charming champion of Bestia) would have told me (gently) if there were no current unknown hybrids that include a Quackosaurus.

I generally do have two accounts up. Normally one pirate is adventuring while the other is spinning happily (and profitably) in Aquila. Sometimes I will focus exclusively on collecting gold, but not normally. This pattern has slowed down the morphing somewhat, but also makes the experiments less tedious since on the other screen one of my pirates is saving the Spiral.

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks, Jack. I think I have all of the gold and Crown Shop pets scattered on different accounts, and as far as I know all but-one of the known pet drops (I don't have the frog that Captain Pluton drops). The problem is, I don't always know where I have stashed them...

In general, I am up for meeting with people and morphing to make some stronger pets. I have never focused on maxing out DNA, so I think the highest pets I have are in the low-to-mid 400 range.

I agree that the Tower of Moo Manchu is a great way to replenish gold - very very profitable and fun. But Fiorenza and I can only find time for a joint run about once a month. With summer coming on, that pace may pick up a bit.

Oooo, that reminds me - another drop I don't have is the corrupted celestial dragon.

-Indigo

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
I have the corrupted celestial, but I don't think I have the toad.

Question: Spinning in Aquila? Can you elaborate?

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Maybe we can meet up at some point for some dragon morphin'. I have the corrupted imperial lion, if you don't have that one.

That I know of, there fixed-location chests I know of in Nova Aquila that I know of, plus one floater. If I am running somebody on my desktop, I often have my tablet running someone else, who spins near one of the fixed-location chests. These days the "spinner" is sure to be someone who is running one of the active Q experiments.

Speaking of which, I may start the next series tomorrow. I usually have 3 to 5 running, depending on who has money (I don't let a pirate start one unless they are in the 190,000+ gold range, since I don't want any given experiment to drag on more than a few days).

-Indigo

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Decius Duelmaster on May 8, 2015 wrote:
Hep thanks you for the donation of gold in the morphing tent. It helps keep all the pets in the stables happy.

I bet Friar Sand is a bit upset with you though.
your farming is outdated, while friar is best when with 4 people, I find tower to be much less of a grind with an average 150k per run and a chance at the elusive gaze mask(with 2-3 treasure baths)

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
You are going to have to take current hybrids into consideration. With the recent discovery of hybrids making other hybrids, it would be fair to include them in your experiment. I'm sure there is bound to be a Quackosaur hybrid out there. I've never managed to discover a hybrid (even though I desire to), so I'm definitely aware of the dedication required to find them. Some people are luckier than others, but that's no excuse to give up! Just a little motivation booster . See you in the spiral

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
zuto4011: "...I find tower to be much less of a grind with an average 150k per run and a chance at the elusive gaze mask...".

I do love running the Tower. We strip our characters down to as little gold as possible before running as we often max out at 200,000 gold (we tend to become over-excited with the second-chance chests).

Scurvy Anthony: "You are going to have to take current hybrids into consideration"

Indeed yes, if funding and enthusiasm for the effort holds up - they are not my top priority, but as you say, they could produce a new Quacky hybrid. See you in the Spiral.

Experiments Q26 and Q27 are coming along, about half done (no breakthroughs yet), while Q28 - Q31 are lagging. I am temporarily (I hope temporarily!) down to just my tablet, as my desktop is refusing to boot. Burnt out by too much time playing Pirate??

-Indigo

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
What dedication! I hope you find something. I wonder if that manticore is an imperial lion and that new cobra?
Could the new cobra and the hawk make a harpy? Hmmm? Still wanted the iguana and the dinolizard to make Iguanodon.....

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have now completed experiments Q26 through Q35. Here are the results:

26. Quackosaurus + Deathstalker Scorpion (Silent Quinn))
27. Quackosaurus + Hedgehog (Rogan)
28. Quackosaurus + Stormtiger Shark (David Gordon)
29. Quackosaurus + Lil’ Labor Golem (Taryn Deveraux)
30. Quackosaurus + Jungle Toad (Chase Nichols)
31. Quackosaurus + Coconut Crawlie (Brynn Laveer))
32. Quackosaurus + Rock Crab (Silver Roslyn)
33. Quackosaurus + Black Tiger (Autumn)
34. Quackosaurus + Flying Cobra (Rogan)
35. Quackosaurus + Scarab (Beatriz Voss)

Again, each combination was morphed fifteen times. I regret to report that I produced no hybrids.

Total cost for all thirty-five experiments now stands at 10,136,250 gold.

-Indigo

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
With all that gold going into the morphing tent, I am surprised that Hep hasn't gotten a bigger tent!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I hear Hep is a sucker for buying telebrand stuff: Ronco, K-tel, anything. Anything. He probably really, really needs a bigger tent - but can't afford one.

-Indigo

P.S. I should probably invent a morph-o-matic to sell to him to recover some of my lost gold.