Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

who's op and who's up (underpowering) lol

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2012
Hello message boards world i've been thinking there is a lot op characters we want like nausica with her charge and extra critical fan flanders with her extra critical buff and agility buff but to equal it out there is also up charaters up is short for under power can't really give you victory to your foes like kobe (ronin form)Sarah steele with her low health and low defense. and those monkeys the bucklers get that hardly have any promos and only have one or two epics.these companions are my opinions But i want your opinion who is op that makes you a threat in the arenas and too te armada and who is up that makes you want to say ( man i wish there were some way i could trade and sell this guy) i have one my self this eagle mercenary that is slow low accuracy and dodge and this bison bounty hunter that only have vengeance strike and turn the tide.

I want to hear your personal opinions and thoughts on this topic

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
the awesome smuggl... on May 28, 2014 wrote:
Hello message boards world i've been thinking there is a lot op characters we want like nausica with her charge and extra critical fan flanders with her extra critical buff and agility buff but to equal it out there is also up charaters up is short for under power can't really give you victory to your foes like kobe (ronin form)Sarah steele with her low health and low defense. and those monkeys the bucklers get that hardly have any promos and only have one or two epics.these companions are my opinions But i want your opinion who is op that makes you a threat in the arenas and too te armada and who is up that makes you want to say ( man i wish there were some way i could trade and sell this guy) i have one my self this eagle mercenary that is slow low accuracy and dodge and this bison bounty hunter that only have vengeance strike and turn the tide.

I want to hear your personal opinions and thoughts on this topic
Right now, the only companions i think are op are Chantal, Peter Quint and Goronado (slightly).
Chantal is obvious. She can deal 600 damage twice from infinite range, and you have to hide to avoid it. Also, she has yet another critical from her large 5 range, as well as Burst Fire 2? That's just too much, i mean to make her more balanced take away a sniper shot so she only has one.
Peter Quint is kind of obvious. Buccaneers now can obtain 3 companions with "Vicious Charge", as well as their own vicious charge. I talked about this in a thread i made called "Unbalances in PvP". The vicious charge and being the only new companion that can gain relentless rank 3 makes him slightly op. I can counter him as a swashbuckler, but he should be slightly toned down as he demolishes any musketeers or witches.
Goronado isn't really op, it's just now that strength increases criticals he demolishes units much easier.
Whats up right now is the Shark (forgot his name) that witches get. He has a range of 3, which is easily avoidable, and against the other companions, he only has jobu's embrace and purge magic, which witches already has. He's not really great for PvP or PvE. I feel he should get something like mournsong, whilst it would be slightly op as witches already have the aquila snake he's really underpowered right now.
Nausica can be countered really easily, so she's not as op as she was before.
Well, that's all i have to say.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 50

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on May 28, 2014 wrote:
Right now, the only companions i think are op are Chantal, Peter Quint and Goronado (slightly).
Chantal is obvious. She can deal 600 damage twice from infinite range, and you have to hide to avoid it. Also, she has yet another critical from her large 5 range, as well as Burst Fire 2? That's just too much, i mean to make her more balanced take away a sniper shot so she only has one.
Peter Quint is kind of obvious. Buccaneers now can obtain 3 companions with "Vicious Charge", as well as their own vicious charge. I talked about this in a thread i made called "Unbalances in PvP". The vicious charge and being the only new companion that can gain relentless rank 3 makes him slightly op. I can counter him as a swashbuckler, but he should be slightly toned down as he demolishes any musketeers or witches.
Goronado isn't really op, it's just now that strength increases criticals he demolishes units much easier.
Whats up right now is the Shark (forgot his name) that witches get. He has a range of 3, which is easily avoidable, and against the other companions, he only has jobu's embrace and purge magic, which witches already has. He's not really great for PvP or PvE. I feel he should get something like mournsong, whilst it would be slightly op as witches already have the aquila snake he's really underpowered right now.
Nausica can be countered really easily, so she's not as op as she was before.
Well, that's all i have to say.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 50
Chantal isn't overpowered, nor is Peter Quint or Goronado. Her Sniper Shots help defend against melee units and there are obstacles that help block her line of sight plus hidden abilities.
The OP's question was what companions are OP. You're explaining why you think a strategy is OP, not the companion. Goronado and Peter Quint are designed to have an advantage over those two classes, just like Musketeers are designed to have an advantage over Swashbucklers and Privateers.
Carcarius isn't underpowered either. There are clears imbalances in the companion classes and that's what is his bane. The same holds true for the Marchioness.
It's odd that you seem rather quick to point out two other classes' new companions and label them as "OP," but have missed out on the fact that Fan Flanders has access to 3 powerful Epics, 2 amazing buffs which allow her to critical very often even against other Swashbucklers and Musketeers., and can reach extremely high amounts of D.P.R. and has a long movement of 6. She's quite the glass-cannon and with a few protections have fun trying to knock her out. Now I'm not claiming she's OP, because she isn't, but she's just as viably powerful as the other two you mentioned.

Just like the buffs to the Tavern Group, the new class-exclusive companions are buffs to the class they belong to. They may be separate companions, but they're utilities to each respective class similarly to our powers. As for Nausica, trying to demolish the opposing flank isn't as easy with her as it used to be, but I definitely feel that 7 movement range on a Musketeer is far too much, even despite the type of companion she's meant to be.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I disagree that Sarah Steele ( and her 'twin' in the crown shop Lucy Sterling ) is UP. Yes her health and armor is low, but with proper training - giving her all the agility, dodge and accuracy you can, she's very powerful and Sarah has shadow dance which increases her chance of criticals.
Carcarius Grimtooth ( the shark ) is very useful and again as with Sarah, giving him all the will, resistance and accuracy you can, he also isn't UP.
Actually, I don't see any companions as UP its all on how you train them.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
Speaking of OP, Nausica is one indeed. I ask my friends not to use her or Goro during PVP, I personally go with old school PVP...

Other than that, companions like Sarah Steele or other Swashbuckler companions do have low health, but, it's all about how you use them! You can always make a good use of every companion you have, TIMINGis what i'm talking about. Some people charge El Toro from the first turn during PVP and once he gets drilled by muskets, they start disliking him!!

* There is never underpowered companions, it's all about your strategy

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I think any companion can be op, it really all depends on you, your strategy, the epics, powers and talents you give your companion and how you use them in combat. This is my opinion, but I have seen almost every companion being used in a way that proves they can be op.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Lucas Walker on May 28, 2014 wrote:
Chantal isn't overpowered, nor is Peter Quint or Goronado. Her Sniper Shots help defend against melee units and there are obstacles that help block her line of sight plus hidden abilities.
The OP's question was what companions are OP. You're explaining why you think a strategy is OP, not the companion. Goronado and Peter Quint are designed to have an advantage over those two classes, just like Musketeers are designed to have an advantage over Swashbucklers and Privateers.
Carcarius isn't underpowered either. There are clears imbalances in the companion classes and that's what is his bane. The same holds true for the Marchioness.
It's odd that you seem rather quick to point out two other classes' new companions and label them as "OP," but have missed out on the fact that Fan Flanders has access to 3 powerful Epics, 2 amazing buffs which allow her to critical very often even against other Swashbucklers and Musketeers., and can reach extremely high amounts of D.P.R. and has a long movement of 6. She's quite the glass-cannon and with a few protections have fun trying to knock her out. Now I'm not claiming she's OP, because she isn't, but she's just as viably powerful as the other two you mentioned.

Just like the buffs to the Tavern Group, the new class-exclusive companions are buffs to the class they belong to. They may be separate companions, but they're utilities to each respective class similarly to our powers. As for Nausica, trying to demolish the opposing flank isn't as easy with her as it used to be, but I definitely feel that 7 movement range on a Musketeer is far too much, even despite the type of companion she's meant to be.
I think if i were a musketeer, i would say Chantal isn't OP. But i am not, i have a Max witchdoctor and Swashbuckler. I don't understand how you think she isn't overpowered. Those sniper shots on an el Toro can take him to yellow/red with 2 of those. Even if we do hide behind the poles, if you go second, you have no defense against her. If you want to attack Chantal, you'll have to approach her triggering overwatch, and when you're up close it's not as easy to counter her. Fan flanders has 3 Powerful epics? I really disagree with that. What are they? Relentless is the only "Powerful epic" i see. Riposte only affects melee units, which PvPers don't seem to use much. Flanking is pretty straightforword, nothing too special as it requires you to have a melee unit near you. Second chance is really just ok, i wouldn't call it powerful. First strike is one of those epics that does half damage, so i don't see that as powerful. Mind you, she only gets up to relentless 2, whilst Peter Quint can gain relentless rank 3.
If you're trying to imply i'm bias towards swashbucklers, i really don't think so. Fan Flanders, whilst a great companion that i use in almost every PvP match, has flaws that are pretty obvious. Mainly, health. All Swash companions die way too quickly to pose a major threat. If we compare Flanders and Chantal, one can:
  • Deal 1,200 damage+ at infinite range
  • Deal 800+ damage at close range.
  • Has Burst fire, Quick Draw, Overwatch AND Double tap. The combo for a perfect musketeer (except for the lack of true grit)
  • Has relentless, first strike, riposte, flanking and second chance. The "Good" epics.
If you have a swashbuckler, i'd like to see you gamble on going first or losing 600 health from any companion.
See, the aquila snake that witches get has mournsong, but it's not overpowered as she has one and a base range of 3. But Chantal gets 2 as i said. And a Super hit that does the same amount of damage, just with a lessened range.
You seem to always disagree with me on these posts, but go into the brawling hall and ask someone whether chantal is op. Or use her in a PvP match. You'll be surprised how easily you can cripple the other team.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on May 29, 2014 wrote:
I think if i were a musketeer, i would say Chantal isn't OP. But i am not, i have a Max witchdoctor and Swashbuckler. I don't understand how you think she isn't overpowered. Those sniper shots on an el Toro can take him to yellow/red with 2 of those. Even if we do hide behind the poles, if you go second, you have no defense against her. If you want to attack Chantal, you'll have to approach her triggering overwatch, and when you're up close it's not as easy to counter her. Fan flanders has 3 Powerful epics? I really disagree with that. What are they? Relentless is the only "Powerful epic" i see. Riposte only affects melee units, which PvPers don't seem to use much. Flanking is pretty straightforword, nothing too special as it requires you to have a melee unit near you. Second chance is really just ok, i wouldn't call it powerful. First strike is one of those epics that does half damage, so i don't see that as powerful. Mind you, she only gets up to relentless 2, whilst Peter Quint can gain relentless rank 3.
If you're trying to imply i'm bias towards swashbucklers, i really don't think so. Fan Flanders, whilst a great companion that i use in almost every PvP match, has flaws that are pretty obvious. Mainly, health. All Swash companions die way too quickly to pose a major threat. If we compare Flanders and Chantal, one can:
  • Deal 1,200 damage+ at infinite range
  • Deal 800+ damage at close range.
  • Has Burst fire, Quick Draw, Overwatch AND Double tap. The combo for a perfect musketeer (except for the lack of true grit)
  • Has relentless, first strike, riposte, flanking and second chance. The "Good" epics.
If you have a swashbuckler, i'd like to see you gamble on going first or losing 600 health from any companion.
See, the aquila snake that witches get has mournsong, but it's not overpowered as she has one and a base range of 3. But Chantal gets 2 as i said. And a Super hit that does the same amount of damage, just with a lessened range.
You seem to always disagree with me on these posts, but go into the brawling hall and ask someone whether chantal is op. Or use her in a PvP match. You'll be surprised how easily you can cripple the other team.
Maybe because "OP" is thrown around so much. Am I saying she's not powerful? No not at all. Does the high damage Sniper-Shots make her overpowered? No. Her high damage and range doesn't compensate for the fact that she --much like any other Musketeer-- is frail. She has definite checks.

If you want to compare Chantal and Fan then don't try to cripple Fan while glorifying Chantal.
Chanty deals 1k+ with those Sniper Shots in two round, not one. It takes one round to block her line of sight. Fan deals 800+ in one round and more D.P.R. overall.

Fan has access to Riposte which does allow her to deal tons of damage against other melees. She's a glass-cannon, she won't be taking hits well, but she's amazing at dishing out damage.

The companion classes do have unbalances like I said before and we'll have to wait and see what KI plans to do to help balance this imbalance. That doesn't mean we should call the high-range class's utility OP because it has access to high-range abilities. Sniper Shot will always be a "Super' hit, meanwhile you have Mournsong which will do a lot more damage than Sniper Shot does should it land a "Super" hit or even a "Mega."

"I think if i were a musketeer, i would say Chantal isn't OP."

So we can confirm that there is some bias, correct? In a rock, paper, scissors, match-up Musketeers would have the upper-hand against Swashbucklers. Single-aimed infinite ranged powers were only seen by Witchdoctors in Top level PvP, but now Musketeers have more access to them through gear and Chanty. We tend to favor our first classes and be bias towards them even if we don't know it.

"If you're trying to imply i'm bias towards swashbucklers, i really don't think so."

Being a Pyromancer, I can tell you right now that the last school of magic I plan on making would be an Ice wizard. My first class and the class I played in Beta being Musketeer and also really enjoying my max level Swashbuckler as well, when I first saw Peter Quint I'll tell you my reaction wasn't: "Man, what an awesome and viable companion!" It was more along the lines of: "UGH! Are you kidding me!? *Rambling* Buccaneers *Rant and raving*"

You can be a Buccaneer and make a Privateer. If you're an avid PvP'er, even if you love the Privy class, seeing how the buff change effected their powers must of made you happy at least a little bit. Everyone is bias towards their favorite class, even if we don't feel it or choose to deny it.