Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Darkmoor! The Deadly Swamp

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 11, 2012
I have been thinking on this for a while...
Darkmoor! The land of the Ducks and the Frogs!
-It is a very dark swamp with a terrible aristocratic society... And it seems that both the upper class main leaders (Ducks, Frogs) and the lower class leaders (Lagooneys, Fish) are corrupt and evil...
-We would figure out where the Duck of Death and Frogfather came from (after all they are the shadiest characters it seems).
Here, we have to steal some information (and a map piece, maybe!) from a very, very wealthy aristocrat. Unfortunately, he has tons of Croks and Lizards roaming around the swamp bothering the poor... And trying to hunt you down (not just the Armada want to get to El Dorado, after all). There is also the rebelling Lagooney and Fish slaves... Who seem to be enchanted by some greater evil.

Please comment with ideas of your own, and tell me what you think!!!
P.S. Since this world is shady, we could beat the shadiest of the Armada, Phule... And his wacky clockwork contraptions.

Petty Officer
Jun 28, 2011
i dont know about the Frogfather living there. i would think madme Vadima lives there its like a whole world with ducks like the duck of death, lagoonery, skeleton, and bats like bat masterson

Gunner's Mate
Nov 01, 2012
iceblade1233 on Jun 7, 2013 wrote:
i dont know about the Frogfather living there. i would think madme Vadima lives there its like a whole world with ducks like the duck of death, lagoonery, skeleton, and bats like bat masterson
Yeah darkmoor has been seen as more of a scary, strange, mysterious, and dark world not happy and cheerful so those type of scary looking things and it is very mysterious because it has been mentioned only a few times in the game but were most likely going their in the el dorado storylne probably before we go to polaris

Slick Cody Jones privateer lvl 59
Merciless Ethan Jenkins swashbuckler lvl 64

Ensign
Apr 02, 2011
I've seen a haunted house on an island so I would think its Darkmoor!

I think it would be more like this (but dont be ofended)

Madame Vadamia like characters
Vampires like Bat Masterson
Warewolves (okay maybe not)
Ghosts and Spirits (this would be you! lol just kiding!)
Witchdoctors
Skeletal Witchdoctors (like old scratch), pirates and corsairs (like dead mike and bones megee), and bone drakes
Haunted Houses
Possibly undead pirates (like the ones in the crustation empire!) It's all so beautiful!

This is my oppinion though!

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2009
I've been told that Darkmoor is going to look just like Dragonspyre (if we didn't stop the giant dragon) which will look like ash and ruins (kind of like some places in Aquila). I guess we'll have to find out when KI sends us screen shots of it. I know that I'm sure there's something like a rebel/overthrowing a king going on there. An example of something like a rebel in my words woul be The Fangs Of War (the terrible war when they try to overthrow the one that made the universe and the one that destroys all) which would actually be a better story than an evil king. Maybe even a city in ruins (such as Dragonspyre) would be a great story for Darkmoor.
Anyways, I'm sure that there's gonna be a swamp (and loads of adventure) in Darkmoor!

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Yes, I do imagine Darkmoor as a mostly twilight world... broad expanses of flower-covered moor, bleached by moonlight, livened up by patches of cranberries or lingonberries with areas of dangerous quaking bogs and dark, hidden streams. But I would imagine Darkmoor to be much more than a large moor. I imagine it to be a largely wild place, with say, expanses of birch and pine forest, mysterious ponds and rivers below great cliffs, expanses of open field (perhaps plateau), punctuated by small villages and brooding castles (the latter on top of those great cliffs, perhaps!).

My guess for inspiration would probably be Germany-Eastern Europe, as I wouldn't be surprised if 'Darkmoor' was a playful reference to Germany's 'Black Forest', and legends of vampires arise primarily in Eastern Europe. Such a setting would give scope to play with many folktales, myths, and legends that come from that part of the world. Think of the German folktales collected by the Grimm brothers - and not a few concern frogs (The Frog Prince, the Forest Bride or Puddocky, even Sleeping Beauty, etc.). And there are plenty of dangers beyond vampires (though the vampire bats in Cool Ranch seem to be a most civilized lot... but there are always exceptions). Below ground you have the dangerous (but occasionally helpful) mine dwellers -- kobolds & wichtlein. In forests you have the willi, of often lethal intent (I'm thinking of the ballet 'Giselle' here), and even more dangerous, the Russian version of the willi, the Rusalka -- the angry, vengeful dead (often girls murdered by their sweethearts). Here you could meet the benign Mother Holle, or the deadly but capricious Baba Yaga (who might have a sister in Avalon ). And there are nixies in ponds; the forest lords are dangerous and usually unfriendly as well. Lots of material to work with!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 16, 2013 wrote:
Yes, I do imagine Darkmoor as a mostly twilight world... broad expanses of flower-covered moor, bleached by moonlight, livened up by patches of cranberries or lingonberries with areas of dangerous quaking bogs and dark, hidden streams. But I would imagine Darkmoor to be much more than a large moor. I imagine it to be a largely wild place, with say, expanses of birch and pine forest, mysterious ponds and rivers below great cliffs, expanses of open field (perhaps plateau), punctuated by small villages and brooding castles (the latter on top of those great cliffs, perhaps!).

My guess for inspiration would probably be Germany-Eastern Europe, as I wouldn't be surprised if 'Darkmoor' was a playful reference to Germany's 'Black Forest', and legends of vampires arise primarily in Eastern Europe. Such a setting would give scope to play with many folktales, myths, and legends that come from that part of the world. Think of the German folktales collected by the Grimm brothers - and not a few concern frogs (The Frog Prince, the Forest Bride or Puddocky, even Sleeping Beauty, etc.). And there are plenty of dangers beyond vampires (though the vampire bats in Cool Ranch seem to be a most civilized lot... but there are always exceptions). Below ground you have the dangerous (but occasionally helpful) mine dwellers -- kobolds & wichtlein. In forests you have the willi, of often lethal intent (I'm thinking of the ballet 'Giselle' here), and even more dangerous, the Russian version of the willi, the Rusalka -- the angry, vengeful dead (often girls murdered by their sweethearts). Here you could meet the benign Mother Holle, or the deadly but capricious Baba Yaga (who might have a sister in Avalon ). And there are nixies in ponds; the forest lords are dangerous and usually unfriendly as well. Lots of material to work with!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Oh wow, your description is amazing, Miss Anne! I can't wait to see what Darkmoor looks like.

I imagine it as a world perpetually caught in midnight, with no sun whatsoever. I imagine it has many marshes and swamps, possibly the dwellings of those fish guys we see on the Darkmoor ships. There probably are a few ducks, due to the ship flags, some skeletons, and other undead. It could have multiple haunted houses too!

Your description still amazes me.

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 16, 2013 wrote:

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
I am loving it too Anne. Your gift for writing is truly amazing. I have read your stuff on the fan fiction pages and I am as drooling for the next epic as I was for the fourth in the Eragon Inheritance series.
Your words paint such lovely masterpieces for my mind that I find myself in your adventures, right along with you. Your additions to the plot line here are firmly etched in my mind and are now blurred with Blind Mew's. Please keep it up.

Chrissy; future president of the Anne Radclifffe fan club & first in line at your first book signings

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 17, 2013 wrote:
I am loving it too Anne. Your gift for writing is truly amazing. I have read your stuff on the fan fiction pages and I am as drooling for the next epic as I was for the fourth in the Eragon Inheritance series.
Your words paint such lovely masterpieces for my mind that I find myself in your adventures, right along with you. Your additions to the plot line here are firmly etched in my mind and are now blurred with Blind Mew's. Please keep it up.

Chrissy; future president of the Anne Radclifffe fan club & first in line at your first book signings
*Blushing, blushing* Thank you very much.

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Hello again Pirates- this time I have some Aquilan desserts -honey macaroons, hawklavas, and yogurt with honey and walnuts, man, Aquilans use a lot of honey... Huh? Oh yea! Take some Aquilan Mountain Tea, it's so good...

Oh yes, today I was looking at the message boards, and there are two threads about Darkmoor, with some amazing ideas on it... But I was wondering what you think it's like. I have a few ideas as to what it looks like myself...

I'd imagine there are three Skyways to it. A shadier, pirate-filled skyway, with a main island called "The Gypsy's Isle." The docks would be creaky, and barely held together by a few nails, cobwebs, and more boards. Some cliffs (similar to the one with Josephine's house on it in the Series of Unfortunate Events film) tower over the docks, and a long, stony and gravel covered pathway leads to the main area, which has a small village with rows of replicated haunted houses, most having the colors of violet, dark purple, black, and having white, cartoony bones crossed over the doors. The pathway could have bones spread across it, with the occasional skull. At a dead end, there might be a spirit or two, but it's occasional.

Beneath that, a very old, rickety wooden path leads to a lagoon, called the Lagooney Lagoon. It's a misty swamp with marshes, meadows, and black grass. There are lilies speckling the lake.

So, what do you imagine Darkmoor is like?

Ciao!

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
Well I would think KI would only have 1 ghastly, black, spirit filled nether world of a sky way. But yea It would be a lot like you described: Creaking falling apart with bones and spirits with toxic ooze and bogs

Ensign
Feb 17, 2010
Well, if you look closely in Madame Vadima's crystal ball, you can see a picture of darkmoor, it has a large tower and lots of dead trees.I personally think KI will release it into both games at the same time for publicity.

And Bat Masterson is a Vampire not a bat.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 17, 2013 wrote:

Can I be Vice President?

Yea, I hope Darkmoor gets released as a world. :D

Ciao!

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Dead Eye Luke on Jul 2, 2013 wrote:
what if darkmoor was a light world
It's called DARKmoor.

Ciao!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
I imagine Darkmoor as a combination of Transylvania and 1920s New orleans with the bayou. Most the villages would be close to something like Sunken City in wiz101 while there are also mysterious lakes and vast swamps. The place is secluded save for a city like New Orleans that serves as it only outlet to the outside world. I also imagine it as the birthplace of Hoodoo magic and necromancy that can corrupt people (like the Duck of Death).

So that is my attempt to describe my idea of Darkmoor

time for me to go, Cerrio!

Impish Omar Underwood

Captain
May 16, 2011
Ooo, I'd like some Hawklavas and Aquilan Mountain tea. x sips tea x Ah, yes, just the refreshment I need.

I would say it probably is all dark and dirty, sort of like the Haunted Skyway and Wizard101's MB put together. Let's see...... lagooneys are there, skeletal pirates and stuff would be there, and ducks may be there. Possibly frogs? I wonder if this is where Malistaire from Wizard101 is from. Oh, and spiders and spirits would probably be there, yeah........hmmmmmm. I agree with everyone who has and will post on this thread.

"Who are you?! Surrender or feel the wrath of El Toro!"

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
I think darkmoor will be dark, and that we will meet bat masterson's family

Petty Officer
Dec 04, 2011
i that It looks like a big version of a graveyard

Ensign
Nov 15, 2010
The Undead Obeah on Jul 8, 2013 wrote:
I imagine Darkmoor as a combination of Transylvania and 1920s New orleans with the bayou. Most the villages would be close to something like Sunken City in wiz101 while there are also mysterious lakes and vast swamps. The place is secluded save for a city like New Orleans that serves as it only outlet to the outside world. I also imagine it as the birthplace of Hoodoo magic and necromancy that can corrupt people (like the Duck of Death).

So that is my attempt to describe my idea of Darkmoor

time for me to go, Cerrio!

Impish Omar Underwood
Interestingly I also saw Darkmoor as a mix of the dark parks of Romania and the New Orleans. But I thought the New Orleans part was just my Cajun bias, so I'm glad to see someone else had the idea as well. I can easily see it as a wonderful world for both Pirate101 and Wizard101 to get their chances to play with. Though a New Orleans like city seems more where a wizard would be than a pirate since pirates to to stick around the edges of civilization where the laws can be bent. (Although it would be interesting to see a location that appears in both games.) Pirates are more likely to see a Barataria Bay like location.

It would be interesting to see the world during Mardi Gras like celebration. The combination of anthropomorphic animals and costumes creates so many possible ideas.

I can also see a few other Hoodoo practitioners living in their secluded huts deep within the bayous. Some benevolent, but also many that will cheat, trick, and/or curse others for their own benefit.

And I we do see a New Orleans type location I hope that one of the writers first reads "Witches Abroad."

Ensign
Nov 11, 2012
Arrrr One-Eyed Jack, could I ask of you a favor? (I know I owe u one too many, but still...)

U think you could move my old forum, "Darkmoor, The Deadly Swamp", to here? I think it would be of great use here!
My basis on this: Skeletal people, witches, Lagooneys, Frogs, Ducks.
Arrrr Brass Leo Hornigold Level 52 Swashy

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
Thank thee Armorclad Coyote. I truly enjoyed listening to your ideas and now have more ideas on the subject.

.When I looked over my research on Darkmoor, I forgot to mention that New Orleans would also be Marleybones colony in it.
.Any Witchdoctor with the Mournsong power would remember the Stone of Necronos ,also known as The Amulet of the Undead, that we had to obtain by defeating Mojo Jojo (who is it just me,or is he a refrence from the Powerpuff girls?). This makes me think that in Darkmoor there is an island that shares the same name and that is crawling with the undead that cause much misery in Darkmoor.
.If they do throw a Transylvanian element, they should also add in the massive castles that are there.

so here are some more of my ideas and thank ye all for speaking your minds.

Impish Omar Underwood

Administrator
Iguana the Valiant on Jul 14, 2013 wrote:
Arrrr One-Eyed Jack, could I ask of you a favor? (I know I owe u one too many, but still...)

U think you could move my old forum, "Darkmoor, The Deadly Swamp", to here? I think it would be of great use here!
My basis on this: Skeletal people, witches, Lagooneys, Frogs, Ducks.
Arrrr Brass Leo Hornigold Level 52 Swashy
Threads merged!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Nov 11, 2012
One-Eyed Jack on Jul 14, 2013 wrote:
Threads merged!
Thanks Jack! I hope this brings all the ideas together!
Regards to Highlander, as she could bring my old ideas back into a new thread.
Arrrrgh See ya in the skyways!
Brass Leo Hornigold Level 53 Swashy
~ | ~
||

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
I'm surprised the devs never/rarely comment on these world speculation threads...I can imagine One-Eyed Jack or Blind Mew giving us a really oblique tease on Darkmoor....