Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Nefarious Knives VS. Blades of Shades: The Debate

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
So, I've been playing P101 since it first came out , and I have also been reading the message boards. Ever since the Aquila and Moo Manchu tower update, there has been a lot of argument between swashbucklers on the better weapon: Blades of Shades and Nefarious Knives. There has been such a debate between these two weapons that I've decided to finally make my first post . Feel free to comment on which weapon you think is the better choice, why you think it's better, and what class you are. (Some buccaneers and Privys might choose knives over bos because they don't "hide", while SBs get popped out of hide with flanking.) If you have not heard of either of these weapons, feel free to check these links: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Item:Blades_of_Shade and http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Item:Nefarious_Knives

Daring Jason Thompson lvl 65
Strong Nicholas Thompson lvl 65
Smart Chase lvl 65
Kind John Silver lvl 65
Tough Blaze lvl 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Red Pirate on Mar 22, 2016 wrote:
So, I've been playing P101 since it first came out , and I have also been reading the message boards. Ever since the Aquila and Moo Manchu tower update, there has been a lot of argument between swashbucklers on the better weapon: Blades of Shades and Nefarious Knives. There has been such a debate between these two weapons that I've decided to finally make my first post . Feel free to comment on which weapon you think is the better choice, why you think it's better, and what class you are. (Some buccaneers and Privys might choose knives over bos because they don't "hide", while SBs get popped out of hide with flanking.) If you have not heard of either of these weapons, feel free to check these links: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Item:Blades_of_Shade and http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Item:Nefarious_Knives

Smart Chase lvl 65
Kind John Silver lvl 65
Tough Blaze lvl 65
I use neither, I have Boarding Knives ( crown shop ) and my secondary SB is equipped with a slashy/shooty combo from Aquila.
BUT before I switched to the Knives I had used both these weapons, and I must say that I preferred the BoS because of that annoying Flank Talent attached to the NK.

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
anecorbie on Mar 22, 2016 wrote:
I use neither, I have Boarding Knives ( crown shop ) and my secondary SB is equipped with a slashy/shooty combo from Aquila.
BUT before I switched to the Knives I had used both these weapons, and I must say that I preferred the BoS because of that annoying Flank Talent attached to the NK.
Wow, I didn't expect you to comment! I've seen that you're very popular on the message boards, and that you're kind of a pro at W101 and P101. I kind of find it ironic that I joined before you :P. Anyways, thanks for commenting! Personally, I prefer BoS, but tha darned Cadmus seems very fond of therm, and refuses my wish to have them . Hopefully I'll have them by the end of spring break ;-)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wow, I didn't expect you to comment! I've seen that you're very popular on the message boards, and that you're kind of a pro at W101 and P101. I kind of find it ironic that I joined before you :P. Anyways, thanks for commenting! Personally, I prefer BoS, but tha darned Cadmus seems very fond of therm, and refuses my wish to have them . Hopefully I'll have them by the end of spring break ;-)
I have a lot to say and the time to say it; I'm not a pro by any means, so many other players have a deeper understanding of the games of both W101 and P101.
Good luck in farming Cadmus: one thing I've learned from the Tower is that persistence pays off!

Lieutenant
Sep 14, 2015
I have to agree that flanking can be quite annoying when I'm using WiD or WiS because I can't do my assassin's strike with it equip. But other times, I do feel that the blades of shade were better and I felt more comfortable using them.

Wicked Aaron Brewster

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Welcome to the message boards, Mr. Red Life.

My favorite swashie, Rogan, uses the Nefarious Knives and is very pleased with them. Once you are used to them it is pretty easy to avoid "accidental" flanking to spoil a hide. Unlike Repel Boarders, you can almost always control for accidental flanks. And when you are not hiding, having an extra level of flanking is often useful, particularly for the really big brawls.

I have another swashbuckler currently at lvl 54. When she hits 60 I think I am going to treat her to a set of the boarding knives.

-Indigo

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
I have a lot to say and the time to say it; I'm not a pro by any means, so many other players have a deeper understanding of the games of both W101 and P101.
Good luck in farming Cadmus: one thing I've learned from the Tower is that persistence pays off!
Lol, I guess "experienced play" would have been a better term for you than pro . And if I don't have those darned Blades of Shades by next week, I think I might just have to use some "unorthodox" strategies .

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
Just picked up my shiny, new pair of BoS! After an astonishing 53 runs (believe it or not I marked everyone one ) Cadmus decided I deserved them. Good luck to anyone else trying for them!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
The blades of shade work well for cutting apples and the nefarious knives work well for pitting cherries.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
DuranteRamses87 on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
The blades of shade work well for cutting apples and the nefarious knives work well for pitting cherries.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Haha! I would have thought the Ruby "Slicer" would've been a better choice for slicing apples . Stupid Beta...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Red Pirate on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
Just picked up my shiny, new pair of BoS! After an astonishing 53 runs (believe it or not I marked everyone one ) Cadmus decided I deserved them. Good luck to anyone else trying for them!
Now you have to get the NK so you can make a direct comparison through game play!

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
anecorbie on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
Now you have to get the NK so you can make a direct comparison through game play!
Maybe I can dance a jig to distract Johnathan while my trusted firstmate Keisuke Yagi swipes his knives... just a thought .

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Red Pirate on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
Haha! I would have thought the Ruby "Slicer" would've been a better choice for slicing apples . Stupid Beta...
Yeah but they don't give you a zombie effect for an hour.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
DuranteRamses87 on Mar 25, 2016 wrote:
Yeah but they don't give you a zombie effect for an hour.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Ha .

Petty Officer
Nov 10, 2013

Smart Chase lvl 65
Kind John Silver lvl 65
Tough Blaze lvl 65
well this just depends if you go to the hidden trainer and trained flanking or cheap shot it just better to go with flanking 1 if you have cheatshot of if you have both trained its better just to go with flank 2 and cheapshot 1

dead-eye tim lvl 65