Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Buccaneer Companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 14, 2016
I am new to Pirate101 and am playing as a Buccaneer. I am level 11. What are the good low level companions to use? I have Kobe (swashbuckler), Barnabus (buccaneer), Bonnie Anne (musketeer), Peter Quint (buccaneer) and Milo Graytail (swashbuckler). How do I know which companions are good to use and which should be first mate as I level. Which ones do I train and what talents are the right ones to buy for them? I've read other forum discussions but all of them are pretty old and geared towards higher level players. I'd like to understand now at a low level how to determine which companions I should be using and how to train them. Thanks for any help :)

Lieutenant
Aug 17, 2014
Use pete, and bonnie(she promotes at lvl 8), and either Kobe or Barnabus.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
I would reccomend to keep levelling all of those great companions up!

Ensign
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for the advice. I'm now level 40 and have 16 companions. I have no idea which companions are the best to use. I have primarily been using Pete, Kobe, and Barnabus or Ratbeard. I just got El Toro so I'm trying him in place of Barnabus or Ratbeard. I don't plan on buying any companions with crowns so which are the best companions to use that you get from the game? Should I continue to level other companions even if I'm not going to use them? How do you know what skills/talents/powers you should give your companions? Is there a guide somewhere for that? Thanks for the help. Love the game and having so much fun playing as a buccaneer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
JerseyGirlLisa on Feb 5, 2016 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm now level 40 and have 16 companions. I have no idea which companions are the best to use. I have primarily been using Pete, Kobe, and Barnabus or Ratbeard. I just got El Toro so I'm trying him in place of Barnabus or Ratbeard. I don't plan on buying any companions with crowns so which are the best companions to use that you get from the game? Should I continue to level other companions even if I'm not going to use them? How do you know what skills/talents/powers you should give your companions? Is there a guide somewhere for that? Thanks for the help. Love the game and having so much fun playing as a buccaneer
As a max level Buccaneer, I can tell you that these companions are "core" to me: Peter, El Toro, Kobe & Barnabus. Keep these as close to your level as possible.
For the others, Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard are very important. Who is your Presidio companion? Keep them close to your level too.
If you're looking for guides on training and promotions I recommend Pirate101 Central.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
JerseyGirlLisa on Feb 5, 2016 wrote:
Hi JerseyGirlLisa - I am a HUGE proponent of playing with your crew on Random -- if only for mob battles, just to see how different companions work against various enemies. The more you know about ALL of your crew, the better you'll be able to handle the trickier situations. But, I know that many players have favorites they use all the time. You may want to change out who you use depending on the enemies you face and their abilities.

YES - continue to level other companions who you don't use, because when you send them on tasks, they will bring back better rewards. A Level 8 companion sent Plundering will only bring back 20 gold, but a companion level to the 30's or 40's will bring you hundreds. Same with Scavenging -- they will bring back gear that is at their rank. A level 8 will bring Level 5 gear, level 32 companion will bring you level 30 gear, a level 44 companion will bring you Level 40 gear and so on.

Here is a link to the Pirate101 Central Wiki category of Companions Recruited by Buccaneers-only: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Category:Buccaneer-Only_Companions -- Many of them you will need to do side quests for, but I believe they are all worth it, even if they just help you with Nautical experience. When you recruit a new one who is at your level or higher, send them Keel Haulin' for training tomes for their lower-leveled crewmates.

Personally, I tend to play defensively rather than aggressively, so I give all my companions talents like dodgy and resistance, but I know many players boost whichever talent will increase the companions' weapon damage and accuracy, etc. How you play will determine what talents you want to boost for them. If you have a membership, retraining them is not very expensive (only 2500 gold at Level 65).

I hope all that helps, and Smooth Sailin' to ye!

Ensign
Jan 14, 2016
Thank you very much Willowydream and Anecorbie for the great advice. I'm going to check out the link/site you both recommended. Anecorbie I'm not sure who my Presidio companion is. Is there a way for me to tell? Around what level would I have received that companion? I have so many it's hard to keep track Thanks again for the help.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
JerseyGirlLisa on Feb 6, 2016 wrote:
Thank you very much Willowydream and Anecorbie for the great advice. I'm going to check out the link/site you both recommended. Anecorbie I'm not sure who my Presidio companion is. Is there a way for me to tell? Around what level would I have received that companion? I have so many it's hard to keep track Thanks again for the help.
To answer on behalf of anecrobie you would have received your presidio companion around lvl 8 during your raid on the presidio you could have either
- Dead mike a zombie with a sword

- Birgus latro a crab with a sword

- Milo Graytail a wharf rat like the ones on ratbeards old crew

- Lucky Jack Russell a dog pirate with a mask

- Gaspard De Vole a gineua pig with a pole axe

I hope this helps you remember your presidio companion but if it doesn't the website willowy dream and anecrobie mentioned will tell you

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
JerseyGirlLisa on Feb 6, 2016 wrote:
Do you remember the monkey fortress where you stole the spices for the Frogfather?
Anyway, you would have recruited one of these:
Lucky Jack Russell
Birgus Latro
Dead Mike
Gaspard De Vole
Milo Greytail

Ensign
Jan 14, 2016
Ensign
May 12, 2011
anecorbie on Feb 7, 2016 wrote:
Do you remember the monkey fortress where you stole the spices for the Frogfather?
Anyway, you would have recruited one of these:
Lucky Jack Russell
Birgus Latro
Dead Mike
Gaspard De Vole
Milo Greytail
not to be rude, but she did say she had milo graytail in as the first comment.

but getting to the point, some characters are supposed to act defensively than offensively. Ratbeard and Barnabus are only a couple like that. As far as talents, everyone needs to have accuracy, or they will miss less. I for the rest of the talents, I give my bucks rough(damage), tough(health), Strong(strength), and dodgy. but i vary it, depending on if that buccaneer is more offense or defense.

for swashbucklers, i give them accurate and dodgy first. Then give them rough, agile(agility), and health. again varying on if the companion is defensive or offensive.

Musketeers are much the same as bucklers, except i give them more health than dodge.

You have Nadya by now i think(i dont use her, but if your considering using a privateer companion) so this is for privateers. Accurate, dodge, will, spooky(if they can heal), rough, and tough. less tough, since privateers have a lot of health already, so you can trade a rank for something else.

I dont use witches much so this probably wont be of use, but accurate, spooky(if they have powers or can summon), will, rough, tough, and dodgy.

Again, this is what I use for my companions so you dont need to choose what I like, you can mess around with the different talents anyway you like. But if you have some companions that you dont like, put some task talents on them so they get done faster.

Offensive companions are ones who have and/or able to learn Relentless, Burst Fire, Mojo Echo, so you can separate those with the defensive ones. When you get around max lvl (currently lvl 65) you might want to consider getting epics (moves that companions use during battle, i.e first strike) to rank 3, because they have an extra effect on them. Like Hold the Line, Barnabus and Ratbeard starters, get that to rank 3 and you can lower the enemy's dodge for 1 turn. Just something to think about, as you lvl up.