Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Should Swashbucklers get a new type of hide?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
We all know Swashbucklers can be very dangerous with all their hides and poisons. But do you think Swashbuckler's should get a new hide? Like: one for a companion or a pirate friend. It could be called Smoke Bomb. It could have unlimited range or a limited range, up to KI to decide about that if they like this idea. But maybe there could be 2 types? The first for 3 turns only and the second one for 5 turns.
It could be very helpful for a swashbuckler to hide their companion (without using Black Fog), since we know they have very low health.
Let me know what you guys think
Swashbuckler- Lvl 65- Merciless Richard Chamberlain
Privateer- Lvl 65- Fearless Richard Chamberlain
Musketeer- Lvl 65- Charming Richard Nightingale
Witchdoctor- Lvl 65- Merciless Richard Nightingale
Buccaneer- Lvl 65- Reckless Richard Chamberlain
P.S. Maybe you've seen me before in game?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Merciless Richard ... on Dec 26, 2015 wrote:
We all know Swashbucklers can be very dangerous with all their hides and poisons. But do you think Swashbuckler's should get a new hide? Like: one for a companion or a pirate friend. It could be called Smoke Bomb. It could have unlimited range or a limited range, up to KI to decide about that if they like this idea. But maybe there could be 2 types? The first for 3 turns only and the second one for 5 turns.
It could be very helpful for a swashbuckler to hide their companion (without using Black Fog), since we know they have very low health.
I once posted an idea for an all-team hide, one that could hide anyone, anywhere on the battleboard. The name of this power was Fog Bank and it was a 3 round hide.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Merciless Richard ... on Dec 26, 2015 wrote:
I've thought similarly about a fog of this style. It would be quite useful for both PvE and PvP purposes: hide a companion, heal 'em up, then set them on attack. This would also bring more strategy for swashbucklers; if you use a turn to hide a unit besides your pirate, you can leave yourself open to attack if you aren't hidden.

Of course, then we have the cries of, "No fair, swashies are already too powerful! This would be so unfair to everyone else!" from the PvP crowd. (Is that still going on? Haven't been checking the boards on a regular basis lately.) I think a decent handicap in regards to that particular issue would be to make it so a swashbuckler couldn't hide another unit while the pirate itself is hidden. Seems to be a fair trade-off to me; hide a unit or hide yourself. One's going to be attacked either way, whether you're fighting the AI or another person.

But as for the hide itself, from a PvE perspective, I would love to have a fog ability that affects solely other units. It would be a major help in some higher-level fights, especially once you use up Black Fog.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Dec 27, 2015 wrote:
I've thought similarly about a fog of this style. It would be quite useful for both PvE and PvP purposes: hide a companion, heal 'em up, then set them on attack. This would also bring more strategy for swashbucklers; if you use a turn to hide a unit besides your pirate, you can leave yourself open to attack if you aren't hidden.

Of course, then we have the cries of, "No fair, swashies are already too powerful! This would be so unfair to everyone else!" from the PvP crowd. (Is that still going on? Haven't been checking the boards on a regular basis lately.) I think a decent handicap in regards to that particular issue would be to make it so a swashbuckler couldn't hide another unit while the pirate itself is hidden. Seems to be a fair trade-off to me; hide a unit or hide yourself. One's going to be attacked either way, whether you're fighting the AI or another person.

But as for the hide itself, from a PvE perspective, I would love to have a fog ability that affects solely other units. It would be a major help in some higher-level fights, especially once you use up Black Fog.
Welcome back much missed Marauding Misty

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
Hi Richard
I think the idea is brilliant although it would still require balancing within the game to not start up the fog controversy again.

P.S I am friends with all of your characters in game .

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm always ready to defend a SB's right to hide and strike from the shadows - we should have a new level of hide, but not until many levels are reached. Remember that our first hide we get at level 4 ( ? ) Walk in Shadows, then our next hide was at level 12, Walk in Darkness and our last was at level 55, Black Fog - that's 43 levels between!
So, following that trend we might see a new hide at about level 95-100.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 28, 2015 wrote:
Welcome back much missed Marauding Misty
Thank you, Chrissy! Glad to rejoin the structured chaos that is our Marauding family.

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
anecorbie on Dec 28, 2015 wrote:
I'm always ready to defend a SB's right to hide and strike from the shadows - we should have a new level of hide, but not until many levels are reached. Remember that our first hide we get at level 4 ( ? ) Walk in Shadows, then our next hide was at level 12, Walk in Darkness and our last was at level 55, Black Fog - that's 43 levels between!
Black Fog is at level 60
and I believe we get Grand ShadowDance at level 55 correct me if I am wrong ;)

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
MistyDragon13 on Dec 28, 2015 wrote:
Thank you, Chrissy! Glad to rejoin the structured chaos that is our Marauding family.
It be good to have ye back sweet lass.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Unfair Angel on Dec 29, 2015 wrote:
Black Fog is at level 60
and I believe we get Grand ShadowDance at level 55 correct me if I am wrong ;)
Grand Shadow is at 65, and I checked before posting, but maybe I should check again? ( it's been so long....)

Petty Officer
Jun 22, 2014
NO, Swashbucklers are powerful enough already

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
anecorbie on Dec 28, 2015 wrote:
Anecorbie, I agree with you. That's a very big jump for levels, 43.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirate Master on Dec 30, 2015 wrote:
Powerful enough at this time, but when the level cap is raised for the story update, then swashbucklers will need new powers and why not an expansion of those powers we have already? I foresee at higher levels we will probably be getting new strikes, poisons and yes, a new hide.
Just as other classes will be gaining new powers based on powers they have trained for.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Pirate Master on Dec 30, 2015 wrote:
Ah, there it is. Was waiting for that.

Not really, to be honest. An average swashy isn't that big of a problem if you know how to approach it correctly. Besides, we'd only get one fog for another unit, and they're not as strong as the pirate itself.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
I really like the idea,i don't believe that swashbucklers are op and I have beaten enough (and lost to enough) to say that they use strategy now and not just team fog, I think smoke bomb would give mo mojo flow to the trend (old scratch reference)

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
anecorbie on Dec 30, 2015 wrote:
Grand Shadow is at 65, and I checked before posting, but maybe I should check again? ( it's been so long....)
No, Gambit of Steel is at 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Unfair Angel on Jan 1, 2016 wrote:
No, Gambit of Steel is at 65
Thank you ( its my wonky memory! )

Ensign
Dec 22, 2015
Grand shadowdance is at 50.
I am a swashy and i have always lost in pvp.
I am max and put everything towards healing and got nowhere. Stout Flint Quince level 50

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
lefsteam on Feb 13, 2016 wrote:
Grand shadowdance is at 50.
I am a swashy and i have always lost in pvp.
I am max and put everything towards healing and got nowhere. Stout Flint Quince level 50
Thank you for the correction and welcome to the message boards, maybe a few gear items that enhance agility and dodge could help you?