Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Equal female companions for all classes

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
I'm a dude, and i'd like some companions that are female besides bonnie and eventually, gracie. The class that has the most is Swashbuckler, which only adds to the ridiculous amount of Swashbucklers in game. Us Musketeers want up on that! And even the Privateers, who get the most crew, get no female companions besides Gracie and Bonnie as far as I know. I'm not just going to complain here, though. I have plans.

1.when you get a bundle, you pick the gender of the companion. Which should just take some minor sprite editing.

2.If you do plan to release more sidequest companions, throw in some girls!

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
Frozenmuskets on Jul 5, 2013 wrote:
I'm a dude, and i'd like some companions that are female besides bonnie and eventually, gracie. The class that has the most is Swashbuckler, which only adds to the ridiculous amount of Swashbucklers in game. Us Musketeers want up on that! And even the Privateers, who get the most crew, get no female companions besides Gracie and Bonnie as far as I know. I'm not just going to complain here, though. I have plans.

1.when you get a bundle, you pick the gender of the companion. Which should just take some minor sprite editing.

2.If you do plan to release more sidequest companions, throw in some girls!
Privateers get Jane canary.

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
Everyone can get Neko, Zenna, too.

Ensign
Apr 10, 2009
I agree, classes should get more female companions for each class and some that are the same as the class it is given to (Except maybe buccaneers, but that's because I'm seeing more girls in the other four more versatile classes).

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
I never understood why people want so many more females in the game. The bitter truth was, back in the times of the pirate, females pirates were practically non-existent. Sure, they're legends like the human version of Bonnie Anne (can't remember her actual name), but they're were few females in all. Men pretty much dominated the crew. If you were a female pirate and told men that, they would of laughed at you (until you actually proved you weren't kidding, if ya know what I mean). I'm not saying the game prefers men (not at all), but they're trying to go the historical rout and in history, there were fewer females.

Ensign
Dec 09, 2012
Bloody Belle on Jul 6, 2013 wrote:
I never understood why people want so many more females in the game. The bitter truth was, back in the times of the pirate, females pirates were practically non-existent. Sure, they're legends like the human version of Bonnie Anne (can't remember her actual name), but they're were few females in all. Men pretty much dominated the crew. If you were a female pirate and told men that, they would of laughed at you (until you actually proved you weren't kidding, if ya know what I mean). I'm not saying the game prefers men (not at all), but they're trying to go the historical rout and in history, there were fewer females.
Ya but this is a game and this is the present. People just want more girls on the crew and i know the point you are trying to make (honestly i do) but people just want more girl companions, doesnt mean there has to be 50%-50% gender its that we want more girl companions. Besides i know that men have been eh (i dont like to use the word) but sexist towards women ever sence the start of human race, and guys are still like that today (not all) and men hold the burden of their gender being sexist towards females and their gender history of abusing women in all ways or just putting them as a lower class. (and besides there are women that are sexist towards men too).Ya both of the genders hold bad reputation (if you know what i mean) anyways well the world does change but the past always gets repeated too. Honestly i am not sexist myself but i am just trying to prove a point here like you did.
Krystal Everhart Lvl.65

Petty Officer
May 22, 2011
If you do that one dungeon in Cool Ranch with the Red Sash Gang and take that quest from that hurt soldier, you get Nurse Quinn!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Bloody Belle: "I never understood why people want so many more females in the game. The bitter truth was, back in the times of the pirate, females pirates were practically non-existent"

1. I'm pretty sure fox pirates, sloth pirates, monkey pirates, crab pirates, bull pirates, cow pirates, rabbit pirates, gorilla pirates, etc. etc. etc. were completely nonexistent. This game is in a fantasy setting, and any resemblance to history is tongue-in-cheek. So using the argument that historically there were fewer female pirates is not a particularly persuasive argument for me.

2. If you look at player pirates, I'd say at least half of them are female, which sets the idea that in this fantasy setting female pirates are very common indeed, at least among humans (well, human kids, at any rate... and what's up with all of these orphans running around lose? Where is Child Protective Services? Hang on, maybe we are approaching the true nature of the Armada!!! Nah...). Anyway, if among humans half+ of pirates are female, then it is not unreasonable to expect a fair number of pirates from other species to be female.

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Forgot to say in the previous post: Frozenmuskets, I think the idea that players can choose the gender of a bundle companion is a very clever. I expect it would increase sales of the bundles, since some players might wind up buying two so they can have a companion of both genders.

-Indigo

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
Rosabellexoxo on Jul 7, 2013 wrote:
Ya but this is a game and this is the present. People just want more girls on the crew and i know the point you are trying to make (honestly i do) but people just want more girl companions, doesnt mean there has to be 50%-50% gender its that we want more girl companions. Besides i know that men have been eh (i dont like to use the word) but sexist towards women ever sence the start of human race, and guys are still like that today (not all) and men hold the burden of their gender being sexist towards females and their gender history of abusing women in all ways or just putting them as a lower class. (and besides there are women that are sexist towards men too).Ya both of the genders hold bad reputation (if you know what i mean) anyways well the world does change but the past always gets repeated too. Honestly i am not sexist myself but i am just trying to prove a point here like you did.
Krystal Everhart Lvl.65
I'm sure they'll be more female companions in the future, but to be honest, I much rather have a few awesome female companions (like Bonnie, Sarah, and Gracie), than to have two pages of worthless ones. And yes, men were sexist towards women back when Pirates sailed the seas, which is why there were few female pirates to begin with. The fact that pirate's 101 has few female pirates isn't because they're sexist or anything, it's cause there's hardly any in history. The world does change and it obviously has (or else there'd be no female choice in character creations and they wouldn't care to add female companions, like Bonnie, at all), but the past never changes. They're basing the game off the past, but in a friendlier tone towards all people. That's also why I like this game so much. Usually most games gives you one character and you have to play with him/her till the end.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Anne Bonney was the female pirate Bloody Belle was trying to think of.
In the real world, the average man has a size and strength advantage over the average woman. That accounts for a lot of history.
Here, this is a game. How many girl pirates are running around in the game? Lots. Do boy pirates have an advantage over girl pirates in game? No. You can make one of each, same class, and they will play the same. It's not like they limited us to one girl pirate and the rest boys for historic accuracy.
In the Olympics and horse racing female and male horses compete on even footing. Same in the game. In some species the female is the bigger tougher one. Our crews will be whatever K I wants them to be. The fact that this topic keeps appearing on the forums says to me that the desired number of female crew has not been met. When most players are satisfied with the level of female crew they have, the topic will die. I'm sure there are some who want their entire crew to be girls and some that want their whole crew to be boys. Neither of them will be satisfied, but the rest who are somewhere in the middle probably will. As a swashbuckler, I have a few more girl crew than some do. Perhaps, K I needs to look at those classes that have the fewest.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
Indigo Ring on Jul 7, 2013 wrote:
Bloody Belle: "I never understood why people want so many more females in the game. The bitter truth was, back in the times of the pirate, females pirates were practically non-existent"

1. I'm pretty sure fox pirates, sloth pirates, monkey pirates, crab pirates, bull pirates, cow pirates, rabbit pirates, gorilla pirates, etc. etc. etc. were completely nonexistent. This game is in a fantasy setting, and any resemblance to history is tongue-in-cheek. So using the argument that historically there were fewer female pirates is not a particularly persuasive argument for me.

2. If you look at player pirates, I'd say at least half of them are female, which sets the idea that in this fantasy setting female pirates are very common indeed, at least among humans (well, human kids, at any rate... and what's up with all of these orphans running around lose? Where is Child Protective Services? Hang on, maybe we are approaching the true nature of the Armada!!! Nah...). Anyway, if among humans half+ of pirates are female, then it is not unreasonable to expect a fair number of pirates from other species to be female.

-Indigo
When I said "Historical rout," I think you knew what I meant. Animal pirates didn't exist back then and I'm sure we all knew that, but their cannon partners did. Anne Bonney (thank you Calamity Finch) exist and she was a girl and is also Bonnie Anne in the game. Subutai was a Khan and a fighter and is Subodai in the game. If you search the names of most of the companions in your crew (specially the main ones), you'd see they have human counterparts who existed centuries ago.

Second, this is fantasy indeed. No doubt about it, BUT it's based around the HISTORY of pirates and fighters. Having as many females as males would be incorrect in the eyes of history. Also, in reality, there's probably as many female players as there are males, but in the game's perspective, I [the player] is the only one saving the spiral. In the perspective of the game, there's no millions of children orphans running around and saving the spiral from the exact same thing, there's only me [the player]. We can see everyone else and they can see us, but as far as the quests and story-line goes, there's no one else but me [the player] saving the spiral from the Armada. It truly is hard to explain and if you still don't get it, I'm not going to try to get more detailed. But no matter how hard you try, you can never change the past, and that's what this game is based off of (well a parody, nevertheless). I'm sure we'll run into more female characters in the future, but don't expect KI to create 20 new female companions in the next world just to even the odds...

Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
Indigo Ring on Jul 7, 2013 wrote:
Forgot to say in the previous post: Frozenmuskets, I think the idea that players can choose the gender of a bundle companion is a very clever. I expect it would increase sales of the bundles, since some players might wind up buying two so they can have a companion of both genders.

-Indigo
Thanks, Indigo.