Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pop culture reference No. 1

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 17, 2011
Seriously, no one's mentioned Mustang Sally yet?

-Dark Amber

Community Leader
laulenak on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
Seriously, no one's mentioned Mustang Sally yet?

-Dark Amber
You better slow your mustang down!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
Ran into another groaner in the Subata tea house in Mooshu - Steel Chef Motomoori, a play on Iron Chef Morimoto. He even sounds like the un-accented voiceover "translator" Morimoto uses on Iron Chef America.

And somehow I knew before I met him that Hao Nao would be a brown cow. (It's prononuced How Now.)

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Petty Officer
Dec 16, 2010
Monkey's Paw a little different then "The Monkey's Paw" written by W.W Jacobs. Still a little same concept.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
Now i am a total geek for knowing this, but the turtle balls completely resemble the dragon balls! Dragon ball: find the 7 dragon balls, you summon a mystic dragon who grants one wish. Pirate101: find 5 turtle balls and summon the mystic turtle which grants enlightenment. Either i am way farther ahead of everyone here, or i am the only pirate101 player who watches anime.

Ensign
Nov 29, 2012
On Skull Island, opposite the Kraken Skulls Tavern is a merchant called Billy Haze. A possible reference to Billy Mays, the guy that passed away that used to do a lot of commercials?

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
Lucius Fox, the guy that helps Bonnie Anne, doesn't he have the same name as the guy that gives Batman his gear in the recent movies?

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
The first Mooshu quest is called Zhu Ro, My Hero. Sound sto me like the School House Rock song Zero, My Hero.

Ensign
Nov 29, 2012
Elemutation on Jan 1, 2013 wrote:
Lucius Fox, the guy that helps Bonnie Anne, doesn't he have the same name as the guy that gives Batman his gear in the recent movies?
Oh yeah, he does! That's awesome.

Ensign
Feb 13, 2009
Reckless Cedric on Dec 14, 2012 wrote:
I recognized the name as well the few times I had to go to him, but for the life of me I can't recall what I knew it from.

I also enjoyed the Jetson's reference.

SCH
Lol he's from batman! Best movie series ever ! Also, I am probably the only one who knows who this guy was, but Froggo Villa and Pancho Grilla? Wasn't sure which one was closer to Pancho Villa..... Maybe both

--Clever Miranda

Ensign
Aug 09, 2011
I have one, too! Nanu Nanu, my watermole spearman. Nanu Nanu was how Robin Williams, while in a TV show (which the name slips my mind) of when he was an alien, greeted. More thought from Cautious Joseph :-)

Ensign
Aug 09, 2011
I think I may have another one. Lucky Jack Russel (this is a stab in the dark but here we go) might be a spin off of Captain Jack Sparrow, from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean movies? I don't know, I just now thought that.

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
I laughed when I saw Butch Chickadee and The Sundance Kid, based off the famous outlaws Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Also, When Kobi Yojimbo wins he looks like the football player what's-his-name.
Bristly Kevin

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
Joe 101 on Jan 23, 2013 wrote:
I think I may have another one. Lucky Jack Russel (this is a stab in the dark but here we go) might be a spin off of Captain Jack Sparrow, from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean movies? I don't know, I just now thought that.
Maybe, but I think it is mostly a spin off of a Jack Russel terrier, the dog breed.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
In Wai no Shrine (Mooshu) at Crimson monk's shrine you can find a fire oni who "seen things that us, pirates, don't even imagine... etc." , ofc is a reference to Blade Runner replicant's last words! Did a screenshot and using it for my desktop atm .

Eccentric Roberto Bellamy
Duke of Hannibal

Ensign
Oct 01, 2011
Hiya people clj333 here and i just found a almost unknown pop culture reference: remember the old scratch first promo? its based off star wars!
think about it: the one who taught him everything was supposedly killed you find out that he turned evil and you have to defeat him. sound familiar?

Well thats all for now.

Fearless Caleb Hawkins a die hard buccaneer

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
clj333 on Jan 24, 2013 wrote:
Hiya people clj333 here and i just found a almost unknown pop culture reference: remember the old scratch first promo? its based off star wars!
think about it: the one who taught him everything was supposedly killed you find out that he turned evil and you have to defeat him. sound familiar?

Well thats all for now.

Fearless Caleb Hawkins a die hard buccaneer
No, I don't think that is Star Wars. The teacher never turns evil in those movies, only dies.

Ensign
Jan 25, 2010
Another groaner for you guys...From Mr. Evans to Mr. Murgatroyd (heavens to murgatroyd)...I fell out when I saw it...Good one, devs!
Thanks! Keep the puns rolling! Loving it.

Ensign
Dec 26, 2012
i was quite happy to see sherlock holmes (and in the case of Wizard101 Sherlock Bones)'s brother making an appearance during Anne Bonnie's last promotion.

I like a mix of fantasy with reality, with a touch of the pop reference on the side occasionally with a bit of history and more fantasy thrown in for good measure - Gortez (Hernan [or Hernando] Cortes) for example.

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
Grim2626 on Dec 17, 2012 wrote:
Not just Wyatt Chirp but the other six as well, "Calamity Jane" Canary, "Wild Bill" Peacock, Buffalo Bill, Billy the kid, Bat masterson, and my favorite Duck Holiday.

Fearless John Bowman
I laughed when I found out they were actually named after famous wild west people.
Pirate: real life
Billy the Kid: Billy the Kid (famous outlaw)
Duck Holliday: Doc Holliday
Bat Masterson: Bat Masterson (Yea, actually his name)
Wyatt Chirp: Wyatt Earp
Buffalo Bill: Buffalo Bill
Calamity Jane Canary: Calamity Jane (last name actually Canary)
Wild Bill Peacock: Wild Bill Hickok
Bristly Kevin

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
This game is really chock-full of them.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet is Tim and Perry -- being a parody of the stage magician duo Penn and Teller (as made clear when Tim mentions that Perry is silent).

Also, the whole Heart of Darkness questline runs very similar to Joseph Conrad's novel of the same name, with Gortez running quite similarly to Kurtz (And to be frank, I'm not sure if the line about throwing bananas is a parodied line from the book; it's been a while since I've read it).

And then there's the Gypsy Kings, the Dixie Chicks, the Flock of Seagulls ("They ran so far away!")... if/when Marleybone gets released, I'll be very disappointed if I don't see the good ol' Prospector there looking for his lost insect statuettes (Beatles), or valuable gemstone marbles used ball bearings for rollers (Rolling Stones), or antique horns historically used to proclaim new kings (Proclaimers -- "And I would sail 500 miles, and I would sail 500 more, just to be the 'rate who'd sail a thousand miles, a training point in store")

Fair Winds and Following Skies,
~ NoirTheSable

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
Aeolian Dust on Feb 4, 2013 wrote:
This game is really chock-full of them.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet is Tim and Perry -- being a parody of the stage magician duo Penn and Teller (as made clear when Tim mentions that Perry is silent).

Also, the whole Heart of Darkness questline runs very similar to Joseph Conrad's novel of the same name, with Gortez running quite similarly to Kurtz (And to be frank, I'm not sure if the line about throwing bananas is a parodied line from the book; it's been a while since I've read it).

And then there's the Gypsy Kings, the Dixie Chicks, the Flock of Seagulls ("They ran so far away!")... if/when Marleybone gets released, I'll be very disappointed if I don't see the good ol' Prospector there looking for his lost insect statuettes (Beatles), or valuable gemstone marbles used ball bearings for rollers (Rolling Stones), or antique horns historically used to proclaim new kings (Proclaimers -- "And I would sail 500 miles, and I would sail 500 more, just to be the 'rate who'd sail a thousand miles, a training point in store")

~ NoirTheSable
Totally guessing but I think that Tim and Perry may be a twist off of the old cartoon Tom and Jerry.
Bristly Kevin

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
wiz11110 on Jan 23, 2013 wrote:
I laughed when I saw Butch Chickadee and The Sundance Kid, based off the famous outlaws Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Also, When Kobi Yojimbo wins he looks like the football player what's-his-name.
Bristly Kevin
Tebow is the football player.

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
wiz11110 on Feb 8, 2013 wrote:
Totally guessing but I think that Tim and Perry may be a twist off of the old cartoon Tom and Jerry.
Bristly Kevin
Perhaps it's a bit of both then (because Tenn and Peller doesn't roll off the tongue so easily)

But just to emphasize, both Tim/Perry and Penn/Teller are comedic stage magicians, with their gimmick of one being loud and boisterous, and the other completely silent.

~~ Noir The Sable

Richard Hawkins · Gilda

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
The badge "Settlers of Khotan" I think is named after the game "Settlers of Katan"
Bristly Kevin