Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Musketeer or Witchdoctor?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 28, 2014
Question!

Which one? I have a buccaneer which I love ! He will stay my main, but I would like another character for a quick change of pace if I need it.

Not Swashbucker or Privateer since I think they may be just too close to my Buccaneer. I was thinking either Musketeer or Witchdoctor. What do you think and why? What are the strength and weakness of each class and how would I have to play them to be good at it?

Thanks everyone!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Striving Pilgrim on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:
Question!

Which one? I have a buccaneer which I love ! He will stay my main, but I would like another character for a quick change of pace if I need it.

Not Swashbucker or Privateer since I think they may be just too close to my Buccaneer. I was thinking either Musketeer or Witchdoctor. What do you think and why? What are the strength and weakness of each class and how would I have to play them to be good at it?

Thanks everyone!
If you have the space for it; why not create both classes? Play them at least through to 12th level, then decide which you prefer.
Cross training a WD with MK works as well as a MK with WD, since both get a benefit from Will. And both can use a staffy/shooty combo weapon and still be able to use Mojo Echo/Rising or Double Tap.

Ensign
Jul 16, 2013
Hey striving pilgrim I'm a Witchdoctor and of course I want you to pick witchdoctor. There are some good and bad's to being a witchdocter. First when we level up so does our spells and that means they attack better. We a'lot of times well at least with me have trouble with privater's. When you get a'lot of your spells its hard to know which one to use on a certain enemy and you have to learn what they do and what they do to your enemy. That's why i think you should be a witchdocter.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I will first echo anecorbie's advice: create one of the four non-bucky classes and take time running them up to c. level 12. Which one did you enjoy the most?

At this point I have a level 65 in all five classes, and I have enjoyed playing all five classes. Between witchdoctor and musketeer, my personal favorite it the musky, in part because at higher levels you can litter the battlefield with traps and it is fun to try to maneuver the enemy into your traps. If you are in for a challenge, I have found the witchdoctor is (at least at mid-levels) more challenging to play solo than the musketeer... in part because I think witchdoctors have the weakest collection of class-specific companions.

Incidentally, in my experience the privateer plays more like a witchdoctor or musketeer than a swashbuckler or bucky. While they can be decent at the ol' run-up-and-smack-somebody game, where they excel is in holding back and casting buffs on their companions, with the occasional area effect attack for variety.

-Indigo

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
I like the Musketeer more than the Witchdoctor. I just love watching the silly enemies walk into the traps, but of course as Indigo and Anecorbie have both said, give both classes a little play through and see how they work and which one you like. It seems that Musketeers also have better companions from what I have experienced so far in playing through mine, but hey, the Witchdoctor may suit you too.