Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbuckling hurts. (And Sarah's no good!)

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
Esmerelda has been dying a lot and has been losing a lot of fights lately. The companions are all weak, especially Sarah Steele (her previous first mate, now Bonnie Anne) . Sarah has Riposte 2, but hardly ever dodges. Once we fought the Banditoads in the Cantina's backroom (Santo Pollo), and she died within the first round! My two Monquistadors are weak, and I know Subodai tries hard, but just can't make it. Once I saw Sarah hit the floor so quick, I stared in shock, open-mouthed. I almost wanted to rip my hair out.

Not-Happy Esmerelda level 19

Ensign
Dec 20, 2008
CheeryCherry1234 on Nov 12, 2013 wrote:
Esmerelda has been dying a lot and has been losing a lot of fights lately. The companions are all weak, especially Sarah Steele (her previous first mate, now Bonnie Anne) . Sarah has Riposte 2, but hardly ever dodges. Once we fought the Banditoads in the Cantina's backroom (Santo Pollo), and she died within the first round! My two Monquistadors are weak, and I know Subodai tries hard, but just can't make it. Once I saw Sarah hit the floor so quick, I stared in shock, open-mouthed. I almost wanted to rip my hair out.

that's not true Sarah Steele is a really good companion but if you just gave her riposite the chances of that working isn't that good especially if you want it to happen 2 times a round right now your Sarah Steele is horrible but I think you can reset her powers in companion management hope this helps RULE!!!!!!!!!!

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
i hate to break it to you, but your problem is a self created one. swashbucklers, (when used correctly) are possibly the best class in a fight. great dodge, accuracy, and damage. what im seeing as the cause of your problem is most likely that you got bad talents. like, if you choose strength for a swash, its not gonna do you ANY good, while if you chose armor, dodge, or damage, it can be invaluable. you can see your companions stats, so pick powers and epics that will be most effective. dont get riposte for one that has no dodge. dont get relentless if they have low accuracy. focus on talents and powers that amplify any weak abilities your companions have, because otherwise they are a disadvantage. another thing here, (and this is just strategy) if you charge a bunch of enemies with a low defense low health companion, odds are they are gonna go after it like wolves.

-level 65 Matthew Walker

Ensign
Oct 20, 2012

I really don't agree with you. Sarah Steele is my best companion (along with Lucy Sterling). I think that whenever you get the chance to get her like, rough or tough though most likely you probably need to get her the dodgy talent. Not meaning to brag but I always get my companions the dodgy talent first thing and because of that they make my experience at Cool Ranch the most awesome thing ever. Maybe it's that or the fact that I'm level 29 and I'm only to the point where I'm supposed to gather fish in whatcha macallit skyway then defeat La Mancha ships in Monquista in that other skyway and collect fruit crates.

Level 29 swashbuckler, Lindsay (girl)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Hang in there Esmerelda. A fairly sized strength boost happens around level 20 and several of your companions will promote too. For your Swashies, make sure you train them to the max in dodge, that will help the enemies miss them and trigger Riposte. Check Central for Valor's Armor and Valor's Fortress and farm the bosses that give it for swashbucklers. Then you can defend yourself and your swashy companions a bit better.

Ensign
Nov 27, 2011
Well Sarah is too strong, and swashbucklers too, have you added dodgy to sarah? you should, if you didnt, you can reset her to put another talents on her, or, change her epics. For your pirate i suggest you to get nice armor that give armor or health. Hope this help.

Brian Hawser lvl 58
NOTE: Its rare that your sarah doesnt dodge much, i have a lvl 10 swashbuckler, and his sarah dodges almost every time

Ensign
Oct 18, 2013
Sarah Steele is a very good companion. I haven't been playing Pirate 101 very long (you can see this is my first post) so I haven't promoted Sarah Steele yet, but maybe you should try to upgrade her dodge so she'll use riposte more often.

Ensign
Feb 26, 2012
i think you should train her more.it really helps!

Petty Officer
Sep 27, 2013

Yes it is true, sarah has barely any health. But i like to power up or poison and then do a strong attack if you have any people with high health put them around you to guard them and then put sarah and you in the middle. Hope this helped

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
You know don't just do doge if you do armor it will keep her in longer thus inflicting more ripostes. Just saying.

Jack nightgale lvl 61 buccaneer ( who really shouldn't be posting on a something about swashbucklers)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
calyhalyard on Jan 20, 2014 wrote:
i think you should train her more.it really helps!
Welcome to the message boards Calyhalyard. Great advice and you are quite right.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Awesome Thomas on Jan 19, 2014 wrote:
Sarah Steele is a very good companion. I haven't been playing Pirate 101 very long (you can see this is my first post) so I haven't promoted Sarah Steele yet, but maybe you should try to upgrade her dodge so she'll use riposte more often.
Welcome to the message boards Thomas . You are quite right that Sarah is a great companion. She can deal some serious damage. Yes she is also considered as on of the Squishies when Ratbeard has taught us to "Protect Your Squishies" The more dodge the better the riposte is a great tip and it really works. Then I try to add to her life too since she is really good at dodging stuff, having the extra life really helps when it gets to higher levels. (200 per click in higher trains)

Petty Officer
Nov 10, 2012
hey she is my favorite companion and she is swashbuckler promotion and level 15 sarah is promotion

Ensign
Apr 20, 2014
The problem is that if you are a swashbuckler you have to hit fast and stong to kill the ennemy the fastest

possible and the epic abilities i think are the most important to a swashbuckler are the ones that allow you to

hit when it is not your turn. I also use a swashbuckler but my strategy is to wait for the ennemy to come then

deploy my companions with the most hitpoints first, then use my swashbuckler abilities to kill the ennemy

while he is occupated with the other ones.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2012
It mat depend on your strategy, my usual strategy is to pair her up with a buccaneer such as Birgus Latro or Subodai. Buccaneers have this taunt about them and usually, Sarah works well with me.
-Dandy Lucy Barclay (the shooting, slicing pirate) lvl 12

Commodore
May 31, 2009

I made a topic called 'Calling all High-Level Swashbucklers' that deals with retraining Sarah Steele. Check it out, I received some very good feedback and now Sarah is more powerful than ever!

Give her high dodge and max out her Rough talent so she'll hit harder. Try to max out her Agility so she will critical more often. The Epics I gave her are First Strike 1, Riposte 2, and of course she already knows Repel Boarders 1. (Forgot to mention that my Sarah is a Mouse Corsair)

Talents should be Dodgy, Agile, Accurate, Rough, and Armored. Dodgy will allow her to use that Riposte more often. Armored will allow her to take just a little off of those hard hits. I have at least Rank 2 on all of these talents, and Rank 3 on Rough, Dodgy, and Agile. Try to keep her out of the middle of a fight, and send her around the edges.

To stay alive longer, I suggest that you let the enemies come to you. This way they won't trigger Overwatch, and you can use your first round or two on buffs and cloaking. When you're fighting, check the epics that the enemies have, and put Sarah against ranged attackers to avoid First Strikes, Vengeance Strikes, etc. Then, when they're defeated, move on to the melee enemies. They should be somewhat weakened by then.

Also, if you are a level 19 in Santa Pollo, I think you should head back to Skull Island/Monquista/Valencia and pick up some side quests. The extra experience will let you level up at least once, I believe, and some side quests will give you training tomes.

While she may be a 'Squishy' as Chrissy said, Sarah can deal out a great amount of damage if you plan it right.

-Misty Jackson, level 53 Swashbuckler

Ensign
Jun 23, 2013
Really? I did that quest and my sarah lasted the whole battle. You just gave her bad talents. I have Riposte, Repel Boarders, and First Strike. She even killed a person in one whole round just with those talents!

~ Hazel L24

Ensign
May 04, 2013
Hazel The Swash on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
Really? I did that quest and my sarah lasted the whole battle. You just gave her bad talents. I have Riposte, Repel Boarders, and First Strike. She even killed a person in one whole round just with those talents!

~ Hazel L24
Same here she still does the same thing. Even in Aquila!

-Captain Underwood L65