Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Story Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo!

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
I was going through the palace of Ulysses and I saw Eagle Spartans with the same attack animations of my Eagle Hoplite and they look AWESOME!! I know that the Spartans are what my Hoplite will look like when he promotes (this has been the case with other companions, the chicken ranger and corporal Sanders come to mind) and I was wondering, about what book should the Aquila companions promote? I know that it should be book 17 at the soonest, but I really want to know when he promotes, for he is my favorite companion.

Ensign
Jun 25, 2009
Reading these has me asking some questions too..

Shouldn't I be getting a badge for completing all sidequests in Book 8? Assuming I've done them all and tried looking everywhere for any sidequests that may've appeared in all the locations, I suppose I should get one like the other books but I haven't. Am I missing something here or did you hide one somewhere I could never find?

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
Well, you did excellent on writing her! :D

1. Which of the new companion promotions do you enjoy most?

2. If Monkey King's helmet ever came off, what would happen?

3. Why does El Toro show such dislike for Hawkules?

4. So, in the next update, will the Presidio and Kraken Skulls 5 receive promotions, or the Mooshu 5 or all three?

5. Which of the Kurgha companions are your favorite?
Hey, I'm not Blind Mew, but I think I'll be able to answer some of your questions.

2. If Monkey King's helmet were to be removed I believe one of the two could happen:
A. Monkey King plays us like he did back in Mooshu and eventually leave the crew.
B. He might not even need the helmet anymore. He may actually choose to stay with our crew whether it's unwillingly or willingly.

3. I think El Toro may feel that Hawkules steals some of his spotlight and thinks way too highly of himself (ironic, isn't it?). Before Hawkules arrived, El Toro kinda served as the crew's powerhouse and now has to share that with Hawkules. Also remember that El Toro, much like Hawkules, has a rather big ego. To him, it's not showing off at all, but when Hawkules brags, El Toro feels the same way the others do when he brags. Hawkules is kinda a taste of his own medicine.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012

4. So, in the next update, will the Presidio and Kraken Skulls 5 receive promotions, or the Mooshu 5 or all three?

Ah yes, one last question...

6. Was it you who wrote Monkey King's "don't feed the trolls!" line? However... Well played, Mew, well played.

Ensign
Dec 12, 2008
Can i just point out one question i got today about ensign Emmett. first of go to the front page of pirate101 and look at the play now sign. under the sign you should see ensign Emmett wearing different gear then he gets at his (current) final promotion. When the kraken skulls and other universal (Bonnie anne, ratbeard, el toro etc.) and the other pairs of 5 get promoted will they work similarly to the magnificent 7 promotion where they receive a new critical animation. just something i noticed and would like to point out.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Dear Blind Mew,

I just finished the main quest line in Aquila, and I am so very impressed. I have nothing but praise for you and your writing team (and I really need to say something elsewhere about the words and language, just wonderful). I must extend that to the whole team effort, for the artwork and animation is beautiful and dynamic, creating places you just don't want to leave, and the combat exciting! As I approached the end of Chapter 15, it was like reading the denoument of an excellent novel: trying to read faster, because it was so engaging you could not put it down and had to know -- what happens next! The code (and how it was made) was wonderfully clever, especially the final detail: that the code is set into a classic poem, but with some of the words wrong. Since Kane and his ilk have no use for poetry, that was a brilliant solution: the wrong words hold the key to the coded message. That was most clever and very satisfying.

I must say, though, One-Eyed Jack need not worry about you giving away too much! Yes we have the code from the mysterious birds and have heard fascinating prophecies and words of wisdom from the Immortals. But we have all this information, and do not know what it means! Haha, very well done!

I hesitate to ask any questions of these, as all will be revealed in time. However, this question I don't think will cause any undue enlightenment (and if it does, I know what you will say! ) Does the name 'Desdemona' link in with the Shakespearean character of the same name? [I'm rather hoping it does, as it would be lovely to give that girl a happier ending than she got!] Thank you again,

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 23, 2013 wrote:
Dear Blind Mew,

I just finished the main quest line in Aquila, and I am so very impressed. I have nothing but praise for you and your writing team (and I really need to say something elsewhere about the words and language, just wonderful). I must extend that to the whole team effort, for the artwork and animation is beautiful and dynamic, creating places you just don't want to leave, and the combat exciting! As I approached the end of Chapter 15, it was like reading the denoument of an excellent novel: trying to read faster, because it was so engaging you could not put it down and had to know -- what happens next! The code (and how it was made) was wonderfully clever, especially the final detail: that the code is set into a classic poem, but with some of the words wrong. Since Kane and his ilk have no use for poetry, that was a brilliant solution: the wrong words hold the key to the coded message. That was most clever and very satisfying.

I must say, though, One-Eyed Jack need not worry about you giving away too much! Yes we have the code from the mysterious birds and have heard fascinating prophecies and words of wisdom from the Immortals. But we have all this information, and do not know what it means! Haha, very well done!

I hesitate to ask any questions of these, as all will be revealed in time. However, this question I don't think will cause any undue enlightenment (and if it does, I know what you will say! ) Does the name 'Desdemona' link in with the Shakespearean character of the same name? [I'm rather hoping it does, as it would be lovely to give that girl a happier ending than she got!] Thank you again,

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Beyond nicely said and harrrrtly yarr'd.

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
This is I think a typo. My companions name is Maxiums Polleo. Shouldn't it be Maximus Polleo?

Developer

1. If you mean the quests, Ratbeard and Bonnie Anne are tied - I love them both, and am very proud of the stories. They're so night and day it's hard to choose between them.

2. There's a very good chance he'd trick you, rob you blind, and leave you hanging upside down someplace very embarrassing. Or, he might just decide to stay and keep helping you,. You wanna roll those dice?

3. The Minotaur thing was pretty galling, but the main reason is that Hawkules' arrogant cluelessness mirrors his own so closely. Just like the old saying, the flaws in others that annoy us most are the ones we also have.

4. That would be telling.

5. I love the Officer. Those guys rule.

Developer
Trimond297 on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
Blind Mew, are there any plans to make a new group of 5 speaking Companions later in a future story update? I would like to see a new group that are from the worlds the PC was raised in as their childhood friends that had many adventures before the years of going solo and the time of being arrested by the Armada. So far, Marleybone, Scrimshaw in Skull Island, and MooShu are the seen, yet mentioned places and worlds, but also, Krokotopia and Grizzleheim are mentioned, but are yet to be seen worlds in the game, and those worlds are in the choices of where the Pirates were raised in after their parents were lost. It would be very amazing to see a new group of Companions added to the game since the MooShu 5, the Kraken Skulls 5, and the Presidio 5 at the game's launch. Hopefully, I would REALLY like to see that after Book 15... once it's done, that is. Think about this.
Yes there are plans. As for a Home World 5, that's not a bad idea at all...

Developer
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
"the next trip to Valencia is going to be bold."

Dear Blind Mew,

I'm reminded of the lines from the folktale, 'Lady Mary', as she seeks out her sweetheart's home she is met by 3 mysterious inscriptions (or are they birds? I'm going by memory, and I can't quite remember)

Be Bold, Be Bold

Be Bold, Be Bold, but not Too Bold

Be Bold, Be Bold, but not Too Bold lest it be Your Heart's Blood Run Cold

Was is it too bold to continue in her quest? Fortunately, she was bold enough, which saved her life as she found out her intended was a vicious murderer... but she nearly got caught while discovering this for herself

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
While I don't expect Book 15 will shake things up as much as Book 13 did, I hope to weave in some surprises. The player's ongoing vendetta with Kane has entered a new phase, and the rules are changing.

Developer
CaptainFlint193 on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
It seems the Spiral is full of many mysteries, and there a few I'd like to address if you don't mind....

1. SO MANY UNSEEN SKYWAYS. Ionian Way, Albion, Kent, Gibbonia etc....are there any we will DEFINITELY see at some point?
2. There was a boulder blocking some kind of entrance in the Passage in Aquila - a hint to the future or am I missing something?
3. Captain Harkness...ok, two modern Doctor Who references...but in my defense you lumped him up with UNIT, which made me forget him. Still, well played Blind Mew, well played....
4. Old Scratch's next promotion quest - may it have to do with the destruction of the Ophidian Fire Dancer's temple?
5. Does every world have its own set of gods or something? Monquista - saints and the Supreme Primate, MooShu has the Celestial Ministers, Cool Ranch has the Totem Spirits, Aquila has the Immortals...did Bartelby create them to run the show in worlds he couldn't see or something?
6. You said in a previous post we MAY go to Grizzleheim to track down Erika the Red, who may or may not be there. If we don't end up going to Grizzleheim or Krokotopia, how will we do the series of origin quests you plan to write?
7. Is the Stormgate to Aquila in Aragon Skyway going to come into play in Book XV?
8. Any clever references we can expect in the next update?
1. That would be telling. A hint: I love leaving open ends, in case we need them some day. so a more detailed answer would be "not unless I need them."

2. Another potential expansion point. See above.

3. I'll show my age here, but the old ones are the ones I grew up on. The new ones are very cool, but very different in tone. I wish they'd go back to 2 or even 3 hour tales as their base unit of storytelling. Everything feels so rushed and sloppy nowadays...

4. Hmmmmmm... What makes you say that?

5. I decline to go into too much detail about religion, and how they all tie to Bartleby. The Aquilan Immortals are the first deities we've met who take a more direct role in affairs, but I'll leave it at that.

6. Well, it'd be hard... but I expect we could work around it. With much the same solution.

7. To Aquila? Didn't it already come into play?

8. I will demur on specifics, and just say we'll try to keep the volume similar.

Developer
burningtaco13 on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
Blind Mew, if you don't mind I've got a few questions of my own about a particular side quest in AQ...
The quest is called "Temple Circuit" where we give offerings to the Immortals and they tell us some interesting things about our fate...
1.) When we talk to Apollo, he says "Remember the name Desdemona. Your fate hinges upon her love." or something like that. Anyway will this "Desdemona" play a large part in the next update?

2.) Is there any chance that this is the name of our mother? I know the answer to this question is " That would be telling" but it never hurts to try.

3.) When we talk to Poseidon he tells us "The Trident is key" Could he be meaning a literal three pronged spear or maybe three things put together that act like a trident? Such as mind, body, and soul...?

4.) Will this side quest be important in the future just like the mechanical birds were in Book 13?

Thanks for answering all these questions,
Smart Jeremy Nightingale level 65 Swashbuckler
Tee hee - I was hoping those prophecies would drive y'all nuts. Are they true? What do they mean?

This whole post falls under a big blanket of That Would Be Telling.

But to be gleefully honest, I wrote them to inspire just these kind of questions. It was tricky, being specific and vague at the same time - I'm hoping they hit the mark.

Developer
coolster50 on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
Is Bonnie Anne's name Bonnie Anne, Anne, Bonnie, Annie or something else the Bonnie would never tell us ? Or would that be telling
Once you've played V for Vulpine, you can infer the particulars, but to make them plain:

She was born Anne Fox, often called Annie Fox. By the time she was a young lady, she'd picked up the nickname of Bonny because she was very pretty, (and very Scottish - at least by Earth standards).

When Bonny Annie Fox had her falling out with Guy and the Radicals, she dropped her last name and switched the spelling of her first name, going by Bonnie Anne in her new career as a pirate.

The similarity of her name to the historical pirate Anne Bonney is completely intentional.

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
Blind Mew on Jun 28, 2013 wrote:
1. That would be telling. A hint: I love leaving open ends, in case we need them some day. so a more detailed answer would be "not unless I need them."

2. Another potential expansion point. See above.

3. I'll show my age here, but the old ones are the ones I grew up on. The new ones are very cool, but very different in tone. I wish they'd go back to 2 or even 3 hour tales as their base unit of storytelling. Everything feels so rushed and sloppy nowadays...

4. Hmmmmmm... What makes you say that?

5. I decline to go into too much detail about religion, and how they all tie to Bartleby. The Aquilan Immortals are the first deities we've met who take a more direct role in affairs, but I'll leave it at that.

6. Well, it'd be hard... but I expect we could work around it. With much the same solution.

7. To Aquila? Didn't it already come into play?

8. I will demur on specifics, and just say we'll try to keep the volume similar.
Dear Blind Mew -

1. In regards to number 7, we went through the Stormgate from Monquista to Aquila, not through Valencia, so it hasn't been used. I was wondering if that might be the way we could sneak in back to Valencia....
2. In regards to number 4, there are TWO reasons. 1) Old Scratch cries out 'Oh, Sister Snake, forgive I!' after destroying the Fire Dancer temple. 2) Old Scratch mentioned the material world and the spirit world are out of balance after our first encounters with the harpies in the main storyline. I figured both of these points kind of implied the seeds of chaos in the spirit world being sowed once more....
3. I just finished the Amazon-Centaur War quest line, and I have to say - we are quite the warmongers. We've assisted in the Monquistan Civil War, started the war between Marleybone and Valencia, turned the tide at the Trojan War and now have stopped the war between the Amazon and the Centaurs which was caused by the very God of War. I have a feeling Ares is going to find another reason to love us....am I on point?
4. You didn't answer a previous question of mine in a much earlier post - why was Colonel Smeagle's quest in the War Room added into the main storyline? I assumed it was simply because we hadn't had a proper taste of the Troubles and we hadn't done anything very Isle of Dogs-centric in helping the war effort. Thoughts?
5. In Apollo's Prophecy to us, that we must win the love of Desdemona to secure our fate...is it possible Desdemona is the female Elite? Or would that make her too sympathetic as an Elite of the Armada?
6. Time to go all Sherlock Bones on you, Blind Mew. I deduce...that the female clockwork's role is propaganda and public relations. I figure this because in a previous post a very long time ago about the creation of the Armada as a villain, you mentioned trying to work out the elite's roles, and in it you mentioned 'public relations'. So I have deduced that the female clockwork is either a figure that the Valencian elite can relate to and trust when it comes to matters of Valencia (how the war is going, glory of the Armada). Either that or Phule is in charge of making the public happy as a court jester. Am I close on anything?
7. Can you give us a one-letter hint as to the name of the next skyway like you did with the Book 13 update (W was for Westminster....how did I not figure that out?!)?
8. I love your in-game reasons for everything and bits of lore and history (like the origins of the Manticores and the relation between them and the Ophidians). Just here to say bravo on all the lore you've given us. Anything you can give us on Darkmoor, or is too soon?
9. Are there going to be any two-world, one book updates in the future, like Book IV? It would be a good way to say, visit our origin worlds while going through the El Dorado storyline....
10. Are there going to be any more fantasy-heavy worlds like Aquila? I can imagine Darkmoor and El Dorado fitting that category though....

Thanks!

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Actually i was thinking of a home world 10 as in you get two compainions each

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
I have some positive and negative questions for you and these are going to be opinion based questions...mainly

1..if you where to kill off one compainion you personally despise writing which would you and be completly honest,how do you think it would affect the story and how would you kill said compainion
2. in the first trailer of pirate101 i saw avery was a compainion or something so was i right and avery is going to be a companion in the future of p101(like after the 1st or 2nd story) or was the pirate just matching avery's clothing

3.do you plan on making any compainion based rouge's gallery's
4.What is the scariest thing you have wrote in pirate101(Geez scary already it sounds like i was talking about death note or necromancy)
5.i know this will likley be a that would be TELLING but can you give me one hint on subodai's next promo and at least make it two words so it's not so spoiler worthy
6().WHY NO AUSTRAILA!
7.Do you plan on adding any new factions on the pirate faction section?

8.Why is there no dutch people in p101 seriously why no fifth kingdom dont get me wrong i dont mind marleybone,monquista,valencia and polaris too much but there were a lot of dutch pirates back in the days so wynaut kingsile(lol pokemon pun)
9.how do i write a fanfic on the website here because personally i love the fanfics on this site and they are a lot better than the typical fanfic with the "cringes"very creepily suggestive themes(seriously who wants to hear about mario falling in love with wreck it ralph?) anyways i think the fanfics here on the p101 site are very good
but question how do i make one for myself
10.i realized something...KANE IS RUNNING OUT OF ELITES seriously not counting kane and as the fans call her "Queen" we got 2.5. down 3 TO GO!? Do you think kane should build more elites?
11.i realized rouge's gallery is kinda like tf2's meet the videos did you guys get inspired by it?
well thats it with my questions...for now.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Home worlds are gonna be significant, Huh... Welp, looks like Imma gonna have to make a visit to GH. I picked wrong at the beginning. XD

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
thatonevalenciansw... on Jun 29, 2013 wrote:
Actually i was thinking of a home world 10 as in you get two compainions each
Whoa! Hold a moment! Don't go overboard here! He said for a Home World 5, not 10. 10 would be way too much. Let it be 5.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I insist you go for it, because I would REALLY like to see the Home World 5 happen, and that it would spice up the story!

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
A Home World 5 sounds like an excellent idea....plus it sounds like Blind Mew already has them in store since he did just give us the title 'Home World Five'....

But I could be wrong!

Ensign
Jun 29, 2009
Blind Mew on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
1. Bandwidth more than anything else. The number of companions who are commenting from the peanut gallery is already pretty high - to my mind, if we crammed them in too someone would get crowded out.

2. Yes indeed - Wild Bill will get the quest next time.

3. I'll look into that.

4. It will definitely depend on the situation - but i will say I'm a big fan of variety.

5. We will never veer from Kid Friendly. Even the spooky ones will play for laughs. If you want companions with harder edges, I think Ratbeard and Subodai serve quite well.
Well, thanks for the answers....I really wish the Mag 7 did speak, but I guess I do prefer hearing a bit more of Egg Shen or Emmet too (although they still rarely speak). Anyways, a couple more questions, if you will:

1. You stated that the Mag 7 quests would focus more on fish out of water style quests rather than backstory. My question is: involving the Silk One or Rooster Cogburn (assuming promotion quests for them are still in the works), will they follow this sort of pattern, or will we get backstory?

2. Gortez is a gorilla in Monquista, and we've seen gorillas in Zafaria. So which came first: did some Zafarian gorillas leave their homeworld, settle in Monquista, and evolve into a different species, or did Zafarian gorillas come from Monquista? And speaking of Gortez, is he from Zafaria or Monquista?

3. Which are your favorite references: the vague ones like Kzinti Singh, or the obvious ones like the Lost Ranger?

4. Regarding the map pieces, what's with this constant theme of "they don't have it, and trick you into thinking they do to get what they want?" Egg Foo Yung and Catbeard seem to do this often....will this trend continue into the future or no?

5. We've revisited worlds before and there are obvious plans to do so. Question is, do you think we will revisit every world so far at a later date (the ones being left are Cool Ranch, Mooshu, Marleybone, and Aquila, obviously)?

6. Finally, will we see more gold promotions, or will they no longer be in design? We got so little (Tonka, Tyson, and Sanders, I believe) in this update, so can we expect to see any more, or will Private Mills or Argos and the like be left the way they are permanently (I think it's a given the Crazy Monquistador, Watermole Slingman, and other low level companions are kind of never going to promote)?

Ensign
May 22, 2008
I really love the writing in this game. Have you ever considered writing a Pirate101 novel?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Brigorpser on Jul 2, 2013 wrote:
I really love the writing in this game. Have you ever considered writing a Pirate101 novel?
A Hearrrrrty Yarr on that one. Whatcha think Blind Mew? I would buy it in a hearrrrtbeat

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
This might involve a "That would be telling." but I'd like to ask anyways. Will we see Kane somewhere before we fight him, or will we meet him in a grand showdown somewhere? I'm curious and would like to know, as I find that he's a interesting villain!

Also, another question just came to mind. We've met all but two clockworks in the Elite Court, and we know about Kane. I'm wondering about the girl clockwork. Again, this may come with a "That would be telling." but around what time in the story will we see her? The end or will it be fairly soon?

The whole story is just so captivating and it's very well written. I'm sure I'll have more questions later. (That is, if I can remember them. Lol) Thanks for an excellent game. :)