Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Changes since I've been gone

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
So, I've been back for a little more than 24 hours now. I figured I'd make a quick thread talking about what's changed since my return and what I think of said changes.

First: lots of companions now have a lot more epics! This certainly makes the game easier (which is not always a good thing, since Pirate wasn't really super challenging before hand). unfortunately, It also seemed to broaden the distances between companions. for instance, my level 65 ratbeard now has 16 epics, I'm pretty sure. (including his powers) whereas my 68 Lost Ranger has like... 4. Not exactly a compelling reason to keep an open roster, y'know?

In Other changes... well, there sure are a lot less people around. It's worse than I expected, and I'm really concerned that if they don't reveal something big soon, then it'll be too late. I mean, what, Wizard has had like 4 test Realms and Pirate's gotten... none since the Regatta and PvP? That gives me a real nasty feeling.

And most concerning: As of me typing this, the last message shown on the Message Boards was from some 30 hours ago. (11:30 AM, March 25. as I type, It is 7:20 PM, March 26.) A time gap like that is a little daunting, since I know that I have since posted something, and I'm sure others have as well. have gaps like this been a thing lately?

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Ah, one big thing I just noticed... Old Scratch now has some powers that significantly boost Spell Power. For people like me who run summon and overwhelm strats on their privy or witch, this must be a significant power boost. A power boost I'm not sure was totally necessary... but appreciate nonetheless.

This is just about all I've noticed... so tell me, have I missed anything big?

PS: I feel silly for posting my concerns about the forums not updating an hour before the forums updated. sorry, lol.

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
First of all, welcome back! I'm sure you don't know me, considering I joined the forums about two weeks ago, but just take the welcome back .

Second of all, I also noticed the "epic" changes to epics (pun intended). I think I might use my Old Scratch a lot more now!

Third of all, we've all felt the feeling that Pirate101 has been... well, abandoned. My advice? Just think about if it takes this much time to make a world update, it must be one heck of a world(s). That being said, just keep being upbeat. Also, I have seen that the forums have been dying. But, in the words of the immortal Merc with a Mouth, "Cool things, like me, don't die!!!" And I think the forums are a very cool thing .

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Blixet on Mar 26, 2016 wrote:
So, I've been back for a little more than 24 hours now. I figured I'd make a quick thread talking about what's changed since my return and what I think of said changes.

First: lots of companions now have a lot more epics! This certainly makes the game easier (which is not always a good thing, since Pirate wasn't really super challenging before hand). unfortunately, It also seemed to broaden the distances between companions. for instance, my level 65 ratbeard now has 16 epics, I'm pretty sure. (including his powers) whereas my 68 Lost Ranger has like... 4. Not exactly a compelling reason to keep an open roster, y'know?

In Other changes... well, there sure are a lot less people around. It's worse than I expected, and I'm really concerned that if they don't reveal something big soon, then it'll be too late. I mean, what, Wizard has had like 4 test Realms and Pirate's gotten... none since the Regatta and PvP? That gives me a real nasty feeling.

And most concerning: As of me typing this, the last message shown on the Message Boards was from some 30 hours ago. (11:30 AM, March 25. as I type, It is 7:20 PM, March 26.) A time gap like that is a little daunting, since I know that I have since posted something, and I'm sure others have as well. have gaps like this been a thing lately?
The "gaps" are the usual holiday/weekend lapse because moderators have a life too, and they get time off from their jobs just as everyone else.

Petty Officer
May 13, 2010

Blixet,
You have to remember that its Easter weekend so people are not going to post as much. Most people are going to be busy this weekend. As far as the updates, KI merged the two MMO teams into one, the Pirate story had to be completely redone which takes time. Also, P101 is very close to getting a major update most likely within the next couple of months (see the last two Falmea Fridays). Most believe this update will be book 15 and 16 but we will see. I think once this update gets released P101 will follow the same pattern as W101 and our updates will be more frequent.

Once P101 gets back on its feet people will come back and the community will grow again. It's a great game and very hard to stay away for too long.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009

Welcome back!

The new epic talent system can be a blessing and a curse -- if you're thinking the game is already too easy, then go ahead and use the Lost Ranger instead of Ratbeard to give yourself a challenge.

Companions can do more than just help in battles -- if you haven't tried Companion Orders yet, you need to! There are huge reasons to enjoy a large crew to help you earn gold and nautical experience, plus help training your pets go smoothly.

Avery Realm is where you're going to find the most players hanging out -- it was actually Croweded yesterday -- but there are many of us who prefer the quiet realms and lack of lag and incessant chatter when visiting Avery's Court. I still see people now and again sailing the windlanes.

The message boards don't normally get updated on a Saturday morning anymore, I'm not sure why, but they are usually updated several times a day during the week. Changes to KI's work shifts, I'm guessing. I don't know that you can read anything into that...

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Ah! thank you all so much. It's nice to see the community is still so welcoming.

And also, thank you anecorbie for the grizzly beast booster pack! not sure what the occasion was, but i appreciate it nonetheless!

Also, excellent points about it being not only a weekend, but Easter weekend at that. I suppose that was pretty much super oblivious of me.

And finally, thank you for pointing me in the direction of the latest Falmea Fridays! I like the sound of something big on the way, And I hope that we can learn some specifics soon.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Red Pirate on Mar 27, 2016 wrote:
First of all, welcome back! I'm sure you don't know me, considering I joined the forums about two weeks ago, but just take the welcome back .

Second of all, I also noticed the "epic" changes to epics (pun intended). I think I might use my Old Scratch a lot more now!

Third of all, we've all felt the feeling that Pirate101 has been... well, abandoned. My advice? Just think about if it takes this much time to make a world update, it must be one heck of a world(s). That being said, just keep being upbeat. Also, I have seen that the forums have been dying. But, in the words of the immortal Merc with a Mouth, "Cool things, like me, don't die!!!" And I think the forums are a very cool thing .
Wizard101 is a vastly more popular game than Pirate. That game gets updates because of this, and when it gets updates it becomes more popular. And so the cycle continues. Pirate, while, undoubtedly the better designed game, isn't as popular, so it doesn't get updates. KI doesn't honestly care about Pirate because they're making much more money from Wizard.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Blixet on Mar 28, 2016 wrote:
Ah! thank you all so much. It's nice to see the community is still so welcoming.

And also, thank you anecorbie for the grizzly beast booster pack! not sure what the occasion was, but i appreciate it nonetheless!

Also, excellent points about it being not only a weekend, but Easter weekend at that. I suppose that was pretty much super oblivious of me.

And finally, thank you for pointing me in the direction of the latest Falmea Fridays! I like the sound of something big on the way, And I hope that we can learn some specifics soon.
It was "Thank You" for running the Tower with me for my Master of Moo Badge, , you've been gone a long time!

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
AlphaWolf02 on Mar 28, 2016 wrote:
Wizard101 is a vastly more popular game than Pirate. That game gets updates because of this, and when it gets updates it becomes more popular. And so the cycle continues. Pirate, while, undoubtedly the better designed game, isn't as popular, so it doesn't get updates. KI doesn't honestly care about Pirate because they're making much more money from Wizard.
That seems kind of harsh. You make it sound like Kingsisle is a money hog. I truly do not believe that. If you saw what I wrote in Unfair Angel's post, you'd understand a lot more :-)