Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Funny/Ironic Names

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
anecorbie on Jul 31, 2014 wrote:
I wish Ki was a bit more generous with girl's names. For example they have Cavendish, Thatcher and Mitchell available as last names, yet there is no Margaret to go with them This would have allowed a player to create 3 famous Margarets! Margaret Cavendish ( scientist and writer of the 17th century ) Margaret Thatcher ( British PM ) and Margaret Mitchell ( Gone with the Wind )
And as Nightingale is also available, why couldn't we have Florence? The closest you can get is Flora!
Yes, I would have been interested in creating a 'Margaret Cavendish' (though historically I feel she was more arrogant than rational). It is a pity though, there wasn't a "Killigrew" choice as a last name, as girl pirates could have named themselves 'Mary Killigrew' or 'Elizabeth Killigrew', both 16th C. pirates (apparently unrelated). But you can't win them all.

As far as a couple of other historic names go, I really should have named my character Charlotte as 'Charlotte Ramsey' - which is the birth name of the 18th C. author Charlotte Lennox nee Ramsey, who wrote the sardonic novel The Female Quixote. But instead my privateer Charlotte Richardson honors quite a few people of her first name, and her last name honors one of most famous 18th C. novelists of his time, Samuel Richardson (he wrote Pamela, Clarissa, etc.).

Oh, and by the way Scarlet Freeman, I add my kudos and a doffing of my plumed hat to your name construction of 'Dashing Trudy Snow', though it had the unfortunate effect of setting off my mind to singing the song!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Aug 2, 2014 wrote:
Yes, I would have been interested in creating a 'Margaret Cavendish' (though historically I feel she was more arrogant than rational). It is a pity though, there wasn't a "Killigrew" choice as a last name, as girl pirates could have named themselves 'Mary Killigrew' or 'Elizabeth Killigrew', both 16th C. pirates (apparently unrelated). But you can't win them all.

As far as a couple of other historic names go, I really should have named my character Charlotte as 'Charlotte Ramsey' - which is the birth name of the 18th C. author Charlotte Lennox nee Ramsey, who wrote the sardonic novel The Female Quixote. But instead my privateer Charlotte Richardson honors quite a few people of her first name, and her last name honors one of most famous 18th C. novelists of his time, Samuel Richardson (he wrote Pamela, Clarissa, etc.).

Oh, and by the way Scarlet Freeman, I add my kudos and a doffing of my plumed hat to your name construction of 'Dashing Trudy Snow', though it had the unfortunate effect of setting off my mind to singing the song!
As a fan of Elizabeth history and pirates, I would have loved to have Elizabeth Killigrew as a choice for one of my girls, alas!

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Wait,Cavendish is an available name .

Man,I hate picking Yellowfish.Besides,Henry Cavendish is also a good name,for this thread.If Cavendish is a last name that's available,is it?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I feel the name Rowan Martin may appeal to pirates of a certain generation, especially if they feel like laughin'!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Aug 3, 2014 wrote:
Wait,Cavendish is an available name .

Man,I hate picking Yellowfish.Besides,Henry Cavendish is also a good name,for this thread.If Cavendish is a last name that's available,is it?
yes

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I saw a Michael Jordan in Aquila the other day. I had another name, but honestly I've forgotten it. -_- I have a horrible memory. I remember that the name was a pun...ah, I'll post it when I remember.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Famous names for boy pirates - last call
Henri Martin ( actually Henry Martin ) traditional ballad about a Scottish pirate. Look it up, it's a very good song that will put you in the mood for a bit of piratin' and yum, yarr!
I can't believe I forgot this one:
George Silver ( ca 1560s - 1620 ) swordsman and pamphleteer. In game terms he would be supporting the buccaneer style of fighting against the 'new fashion' of fighting with a rapier ( swashbuckling ). I even have a duplicate of that pamphlet on my bookshelf Paradoxes of Defense.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 4, 2014 wrote:
yes
Yes on Henry Cavendish being a good name or yes on Cavendish being available?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Yes on Henry Cavendish being a good name or yes on Cavendish being available?
Sorry, yes to both actually.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Aug 2, 2014 wrote:

Thanks, although I have to pass up the credit to said family member mentioned in my posts. He has a way with jokes, and he makes quite a few groan-inducing puns, but that one was too good to not share. I guess you could say it tickled my punny bone. (Scarlet: You really should step aside and let real jokesters deal with these situations. Me: I know, I know, but I had to!)

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Sorry, yes to both actually.
Ugh,and why did I have to pick Yellowfish!!!I mean,try saying that really fast about seventeen times,and you will hear distinctly why it isn't a cool name.

Cavendish on the other hand...
True,the real Henry Cavendish was so shy he only communicated with his female servants via notes,and the only portrait of him was taken without his knowledge,we can agree that he was a scientific genius!

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Famous names for boy pirates - last call
Henri Martin ( actually Henry Martin ) traditional ballad about a Scottish pirate. Look it up, it's a very good song that will put you in the mood for a bit of piratin' and yum, yarr!
I can't believe I forgot this one:
George Silver ( ca 1560s - 1620 ) swordsman and pamphleteer. In game terms he would be supporting the buccaneer style of fighting against the 'new fashion' of fighting with a rapier ( swashbuckling ). I even have a duplicate of that pamphlet on my bookshelf Paradoxes of Defense.
Henri Martin -- ach, I can't believe I didn't think of that one when I made my list of male pirate names, oh, way back months and months ago! I know that song (and it's a good one) and I learned Henry Martin to sing it to people in real life when I do my 18th C. stuff. I even had Anne sing a slightly modified stanza of it in a role play to give a sense of setting. Good thinking, Esperanza!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Ugh,and why did I have to pick Yellowfish!!!I mean,try saying that really fast about seventeen times,and you will hear distinctly why it isn't a cool name.

Cavendish on the other hand...
True,the real Henry Cavendish was so shy he only communicated with his female servants via notes,and the only portrait of him was taken without his knowledge,we can agree that he was a scientific genius!
Actually, you would have to be satisfied with 'Henri' for Henry So how about Shy Henri Cavendish?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 6, 2014 wrote:
Actually, you would have to be satisfied with 'Henri' for Henry So how about Shy Henri Cavendish?
Yep.Sounds like a very good name.Though,I'm not planning on starting another pirate .At least not at the moment.Pushing one all the way to Marleybone took me two years(granted,I only got a membership this May,so in reality it took me about three months).

Anyways,I'll keep it in mind for a privateer or musketeer.(obviously witchdoctors,privateers and musketeers are the most qualified to be scientist.)

Anyways,anyone else got any good names available?(also,there's a lot of Henrys.I'm surprised the only available name is Henri):

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
Isn't Black Pearl a name possibility? If I remember correctly, Black Pearl was a pirate ship? (Sorry if I'm wrong)

Petty Officer
Mar 04, 2012
You can chose to have Scott Walker, a Wisconsin Governor, as a name.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
I've seen Harley Quinn (a Batman villain) Michael Jackson and Morgan Freeman!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ninja Phoenix123 on Sep 15, 2014 wrote:
I, too have seen a Harley Quinn ( Batman and a Commedia del Arte character ) I've finally seen a James Kirk also. ( LOL, Captain Kirk & I believe Enterprise is a ship name available in Port Regal or Marleybone )

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Ninja Phoenix123 on Sep 15, 2014 wrote:
Harley Quinn hasn't been mentioned before, cool! I have seen quite a few Michael Jacksons and Morgan Freemans. Seems as though people want to start a new Skull Island TV show:

"Through the Stormgate with Morgan Freeman(s)"

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
I have also seen Adam West and Edward Teach (Blackbeard if I am correct).

Ensign
Sep 29, 2013
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
tiny tim on Sep 17, 2014 wrote:
there's Edward teach that's "Black Beard" btw
Welcome to the Message Boards Tim. You know your pirate history all right. That is indeed Black Beard.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 14, 2013
Gunner's Mate
Nov 14, 2013
dragonmaster1236 on Oct 2, 2014 wrote:
Bloddy Mary
I mean bloody

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
I don't know if this one a good one or if anyone said it before. but I have a pirate named "Bloody Mary" from the fascinating story of Queen Mary I, a.k.a. “Bloody Mary” & another one is ";little sally walker from the famous nursery rhyme.

Little Sally Walker sitting in a saucer,
Ride, Sally, ride!
Wipe your weeping eyes!
Turn to the east.
Turn to the west.
Turn to the one that you love the best.
Shake it to the east!
Shake it to the west!
Shake it to the east!
Shake it to the west!
Turn to the one that you love the best.