Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

FrogFather Friday - Pop Culture References

AuthorMessage
Developer

Dear Frogfather,

My family and I have been enjoying Pirates since it's initial launch. We really enjoy all the pop-cultural references (Marquis Mark, El Toro, Lo Pan and Big Trouble in Little China, to name a few). Can you discuss some of the more hidden cultural references that are your favorites in Pirates? Maybe we missed a few?

Sincerely,
Finnigan Thatcher

Dear Finnigan,

I’m so glad you asked, because one of my favorite aspects of the Piratey Spiral is the reverence for reference. You might even say I’m green with envy (course I’m green anyway – Froggeddabowdit!) for a certain film from the 1970’s that invokes another Father figure with puffy cheeks and his love of business and family – can you guess it?”

Have you come upon some Cool Ranch folks yet named Wild Bill Peacock, Calamity Jane Canary, Rooster Cogburn or Duck Holiday? If you’re fond of Spaghetti Westerns, like “Magnificent 7” (Ohhh I love spaghetti!) or “True Grit” (Grits, not so much), and even more contemporary offerings like “Tombstone,” those cronies might sound vaguely familiar.

Here’s a few other tidbits and tadpoles:
  • Captain Avery and Bonnie Anne are based on real life pirates Henry Every and Anne Bonney
  • The principal Rat Pack characters’ names are based on versions of the 60s era, Frank Sinatra led “Rat Pack”
  • The Brody Quest in Skull Island is filled with dialog and name references to a certain movie about a very hungry shark
  • Dos Amigos y Uno and their assorted quest are homages to the “Three Amigos” movie
  • General Tso and his Chicken are reference to the Chinese dish
  • Gilbert and Sullivan in Port Regal are a nod to the real life composers, Gilbert and Sullivan and the lines sung in game are mirrored from their light operas

I could go on and on, but I want to leave a few to you, Finnigan and all my other Pirate friends out there to see if yous can find other entwined stems under the lilipad, so I speak.

Here’s a few starter hints on other connections:
  • Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah is a reference to a song from the ____________________ cartoon?
  • Jojo Mojo is an homage to Mojo Jojo from the _______________________ cartoon?
  • The character “Death” in Cool Ranch is based on The Supreme Being from the movie_____________?
  • Many NPC names on Skull Island are direct riffs off of Treasure Island Characters. How many can you name? ______________________________________________________
  • The closing sequence of The Monkey’s Paw quest is a riff on the movie _______________________________________________?

Chew on those like a big, beetle –filled cannoli for a bit, and let’s see who can get the answers the fastest.

So thanks again for the question, Finnigan Thatcher, Pirate friend of mine, and thanks to everyone for all the great questions sent my way. The FrogFather always loves hearing from you, and let’s do this again, soon, capopsicle?

Signed,
FrogFather

(Have a question for the Frogfather? See this post for more information)

"Frogeddabowdit!" -The FrogFather (aka Jay Gordon, Piratical Producer)
Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
The Frogfather on Apr 4, 2014 wrote:

Dear Frogfather,

My family and I have been enjoying Pirates since it's initial launch. We really enjoy all the pop-cultural references (Marquis Mark, El Toro, Lo Pan and Big Trouble in Little China, to name a few). Can you discuss some of the more hidden cultural references that are your favorites in Pirates? Maybe we missed a few?

Sincerely,
Finnigan Thatcher

Dear Finnigan,

I’m so glad you asked, because one of my favorite aspects of the Piratey Spiral is the reverence for reference. You might even say I’m green with envy (course I’m green anyway – Froggeddabowdit!) for a certain film from the 1970’s that invokes another Father figure with puffy cheeks and his love of business and family – can you guess it?”

Have you come upon some Cool Ranch folks yet named Wild Bill Peacock, Calamity Jane Canary, Rooster Cogburn or Duck Holiday? If you’re fond of Spaghetti Westerns, like “Magnificent 7” (Ohhh I love spaghetti!) or “True Grit” (Grits, not so much), and even more contemporary offerings like “Tombstone,” those cronies might sound vaguely familiar.

• Captain Avery and Bonnie Anne are based on real life pirates Henry Every and Anne Bonney
  • The principal Rat Pack characters’ names are based on versions of the 60s era, Frank Sinatra led “Rat Pack”
  • The Brody Quest in Skull Island is filled with dialog and name references to a certain movie about a very hungry shark
  • Dos Amigos y Uno and their assorted quest are homages to the “Three Amigos” movie
  • Gilbert and Sullivan in Port Regal are a nod to the real life composers, Gilbert and Sullivan and the lines sung in game are mirrored from their light operas

I could go on and on, but I want to leave a few to you, Finnigan and all my other Pirate friends out there to see if yous can find other entwined stems under the lilipad, so I speak.

• Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah is a reference to a song from the ____________________ cartoon?
  • The character “Death” in Cool Ranch is based on The Supreme Being from the movie_____________?
  • Many NPC names on Skull Island are direct riffs off of Treasure Island Characters. How many can you name? ______________________________________________________
  • The closing sequence of The Monkey’s Paw quest is a riff on the movie _______________________________________________?

Chew on those like a big, beetle –filled cannoli for a bit, and let’s see who can get the answers the fastest.

So thanks again for the question, Finnigan Thatcher, Pirate friend of mine, and thanks to everyone for all the great questions sent my way. The FrogFather always loves hearing from you, and let’s do this again, soon, capopsicle?

Signed,
FrogFather

.I recognize Bobby Bones and Captian Gunn (I play both in a performance of Treasure Island), though I can't think of any others.

.Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah is a reference to the WItchdoctor song, right

.Jojo Mojo Is a parody of Mojo Jojo from the Powerpuff Girls cartoon (don't ask how I know, I have no Idea).

That's all fee now

talk soon

Imps

Ensign
Oct 10, 2009
Well, this is certainly an offer I can't refuse. I'm at a loss for Eep Opp..., but I do know the Powerpuff Girls, Time Bandits' Supreme Being, and The Last Crusade. I'm also 90% sure that there's a Jim Hawkins somewhere in Skull Island and Billy Bones I know for sure. My favorite three references are in Marleybone, though. I just can't decide between El Toro's "what do they call a sandwich in Polaris" question from the Albion Crisps side quest, the boss ship The Hart of Gold (which should really be searching for Magrathea), or the horrorshow easter egg vendor that is Alec DeLarge. I simply couldn't believe my glazzies when I viddied this choodessny droog. And for the casual chelloveck that doesn't understand Nadsat, I mean to say that I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this awesome addition to Pirate101.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I'll fill in number One and the Last one. Eep Oop from "The Witchdoctor Song" From the Chipmonks. I grew up watching those that that was one catchy tune.

Having also loved all the "Indy" movies the Monkey's Paw was a delightful insert along with the line "Why does it always have to be snakes?"

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Eep Op Ork Ah - ah = a song from The Jetsons cartoon ( Hanna - Barbera productions, they also did The Flintstones. )

Ensign
Mar 05, 2010
The Frogfather on Apr 4, 2014 wrote:

Dear Frogfather,

Sincerely,
Finnigan Thatcher

Dear Finnigan,

Signed,
FrogFather

• Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah is a reference to the song of the same name from the cartoon The Jetsons (it also reminded me of the song Witch Doctor by Ross Bagdasarian, Sr. (released under the name David Seville)
  • Jojo Mojo references Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls
  • Not entirely sure who Death is based on
  • Skull Island NPCs from Treasure Island:
-Ensign Livsey (Dr. Livesey)
-Joe Hawkins (Jim Hawkins)
- Bobby Bones (Billy Bones)
- Strong John Silver (Long John Silver)
- Lt. Smollet (Captain Smollett)
- Mr. Trelawny (Squire Trelawney)
- Captain Gunn (Benjamin Gunn?)
- Blind Mew (Pew/Blind Pew)
  • Not sure about the Monkey's Paw
  • Cool Ranch NPCs from the Wild West era
- Rooster Cogburn (the film "Rooster Cogburn") Hmm.... Cogburn comes with the Epic Talent True Grit and the movie "Rooster Cogburn" is the sequel to the movie "True Grit." Hmm.....
- Waco Kid (from the movie "Blazing Saddles")
- Calamity Jane Canary (Calamity Jane)
- Wild Bill Peacock (Wild Bill Hickok)
- Buffalo Bill (Buffalo Bill)
- Lewis Clark & Merriweather Clark (Meriwether Lewis and William Clark)
- Marco Pollo (Marco Polo)
- Captain Blood (the novel Captain Blood)
- First Mate Sabatini (Raphael Sabatini, the author of Captain Blood)
- Bat Masterson (Bat Masterson)
- Duck Holliday (Doc Holliday) I like how you make Duck cough a lot, as if he has tuberculosis (like Doc Holliday)
- Wyatt Chirp (Wyatt Earp)
- the instance Boot Hill (Boot Hill is the name for cemeteries in the Wild West)
- Santa Rana (Santa Ana)
-The Wild Bunch (based on the Wild West gang of the same name)

I know there are a whole lot more references, but it'd take a while to get through them all!

Ensign
Sep 05, 2010
Eep opp ork ah ah that means I love you! Couldn't help that! That is from an episode of The Jetsons! Catchy little song!

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Well obviously eep opp ork ah-ah is a reference to The Jestons, and Mojo Jojo is a reference to The Powerpuff Girls, but as for the rest of the questions, I honestly have no idea.

Ensign
Dec 20, 2008
Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah was from that song from The Jetsons, right?
JoJo Mojo was named after Mojo Jojo from the Powerpuff Girls.

Uh... that's all I know. XD

I heard Lucky Jack Russel was named after a pirate from a book. Dunno if that's true. I guess it's time to search! XD

Ensign
Mar 04, 2013
Eep opp ork ah ah is from the jetsons

Ensign
Aug 15, 2013
Everyone seems to know the first two so I'll just mention the last one.

The monkey's paw is a real easy one if you ever watched Indiana jones. It is copied off the holy grail at the end of the third movie of Indiana jones when after passing three trials (just like there s three trials in keys in P101) then he goes to where there is a whole bunch of cups (in this case hands, paws, hoofs, etc.) and Indiana jones must pick from the cups which is the holly grail (monkeys paw) and when Indiana jones chooses the right one the knight that had two other brothers say's "you have chosen, wisely" and that's it.

Rooster Cogburn sort of sounds like John Wayne when he talks and there was a movie where john wayne wore an eye patch.

Ensign
Apr 26, 2010
A lot of the references in Pirate101 are from things that were before my time- But I still understand some of them. A few of my favotires, though, aren't really even references- Puns and Easter Eggs.
'You won't get back the tax money! No Wei! No Hao!'
...All I'm gonna say :P

The entire El Toro questline and all its hilarity was great, as well. With the sliced/flaming T... XD

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
Keep your eye out, there are so many in every part of the game. I find new ones each time I go through the game again. Some are obvious and some are incredibly subtle. There are a few forum threads floating around too.

Ensign
Dec 10, 2010
rappa nui was the original name for easter island and the natives were known as rapa nuiens if I am correct. They also worshiped giant head idols.