Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New Pet PVP

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
YESSS! I am so happy you did this KI! I have been talking to my friends about how pets could improve, I love this new idea! It would also consume time if you don't have anything else to do! :D
Also will pets and mounts be able to be put in houses after this update?

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Noble Tyler Strong on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
YESSS! I am so happy you did this KI! I have been talking to my friends about how pets could improve, I love this new idea! It would also consume time if you don't have anything else to do! :D
Also will pets and mounts be able to be put in houses after this update?
Yep they mentioned that pets and mounts will finally be able to roam around in your Pirates' houses :D

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
That will be awesome but wont it be hard if you want to place new items especially in a dorm room?

Community Leader
I do not know how this is going to be implemented, hoping I misinterpreted, but I am a bit concerned about players developing pets for battle/fights. When I read this it immediately sent red flags... bad messages... obtaining and training pets for the purposes of fighting. This is against the law IRL. If they are just helping our pirates battle, no problem there, but pet only fights.... ouch.

Immediately thought of Michael Vick the NFL player incarcerated for raising dogs for fights.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
I do not know how this is going to be implemented, hoping I misinterpreted, but I am a bit concerned about players developing pets for battle/fights. When I read this it immediately sent red flags... bad messages... obtaining and training pets for the purposes of fighting. This is against the law IRL. If they are just helping our pirates battle, no problem there, but pet only fights.... ouch.

Immediately thought of Michael Vick the NFL player incarcerated for raising dogs for fights.
Yea illegal dog fighting was the first thing that popped into my mind too so I am just hoping that when we understand what it is through the test realm it will be made clear and may allay my fears. One of the reasons I do not like PvP is it just gives me the willies to hit on my friends or fellow players. Off the cuff, I don't think I will like sending my pet in to do the same thing either. I just am hoping that it is totally optional and I will NEVER have to fight my pet to advance or grow it if I just am not comfortable with the notion.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010

Actually think of the whole pets trained for fighting in another way. The franchise known as "Pokemon" is a great example of what I think they are going (Just with it in Kingsisle game formed).

Or more like a competition that the pet actually WANTS to be in, hence why the pets join our fights. Now they can fight on their own and show you there power (Not to mention that now they will become better allies for pve)

Community Leader
Rachel Dreamsong on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
Actually think of the whole pets trained for fighting in another way. The franchise known as "Pokemon" is a great example of what I think they are going (Just with it in Kingsisle game formed).

Or more like a competition that the pet actually WANTS to be in, hence why the pets join our fights. Now they can fight on their own and show you there power (Not to mention that now they will become better allies for pve)
Heres the problem...

Your having to tell me how to "think", now I can appreciate your comments, don't get me wrong, but your having to try to change my interpretation of things. Now, if a volume of people also require this to be "explained", then its not well thought out to begin with.

That doesn't mean I condone it or agree with your comparison.
Pokémon is not "pets", its not even based on a "pet" mentality, training of pets to be sent into the arena to fight, is a bad message to our youth IMO.

Dogs that are illegally trained to fight, want to fight... that's part of their ill-begotten training.
Doesn't make it right!

I continue to pray that I misinterpreted the preview information.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I think Dr. Zeppers raised a very good point. I hope K I also gave that issue some thought.
It does sound as if it could be pet fighting pet, but a pet 1 vs 1 also sounds a bit dull in addition to what Dr Zeppers said.
I don't think they would repeat pet racing as Wizard has. Maybe there would be a capture the flag or other strategy aspect. Whatever they do, I hope they avoid the sheer drudgery of hours and hours of playing the same 4-6 mini games for training.
I wonder if those who have pets on a number of pirates of different levels would be advised to let the highest level pirate pet sit, before the update takes hold. I wonder if pets will go through the shared bank retaining gained powers and strength as in Wizard101.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2010
Heres the problem...

Your having to tell me how to "think", now I can appreciate your comments, don't get me wrong, but your having to try to change my interpretation of things. Now, if a volume of people also require this to be "explained", then its not well thought out to begin with.

That doesn't mean I condone it or agree with your comparison.
Pokémon is not "pets", its not even based on a "pet" mentality, training of pets to be sent into the arena to fight, is a bad message to our youth IMO.

Dogs that are illegally trained to fight, want to fight... that's part of their ill-begotten training.
Doesn't make it right!

I continue to pray that I misinterpreted the preview information.
I'm thinking, though, (based on things like the Pet Derby and what is stated in the article: "To do well in Pet battling you'll need to cheer and cast the right powers at the right time") that this will be more like a pet dance-off and power-off.

Example: A Candy Cane Dragon could use things like "Candy Cane Dragon Blast" which produces candy canes, therefore distracting the other pet. The owner of the other pet would use the "Focus Cheer," focusing the other pet, then have their pet use "Skarakeet Swipe" making their pet dodge all debuffs, etc. for the next 4 seconds/rounds (depending if this is real time or turn-based.)

Administrator
Hey! Your concerns are completely understandable, and the last thing we’d want is for pet battling to resemble anything like any kind of animal cruelty. Our goal is to create fun and engaging game play for players and pets. We’ll keep refining pet battles based on player feedback, but I think once you see it in action, you’ll realize this is a fun, lighthearted system. We can’t wait for you to play it and give us more feedback!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Gunner's Mate
Oct 12, 2010
I too like this pet PVP as much as you! By the way, my pet "Midnight" is probably going to win at anything we have to do in this pet PVP that I saw on a certain page.

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2011
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
Hey! Your concerns are completely understandable, and the last thing we’d want is for pet battling to resemble anything like any kind of animal cruelty. Our goal is to create fun and engaging game play for players and pets. We’ll keep refining pet battles based on player feedback, but I think once you see it in action, you’ll realize this is a fun, lighthearted system. We can’t wait for you to play it and give us more feedback!
I really hope your reading this.... I adore the new idea of the pets i love it And i can see there are going to be new pets but thats not the case. I noticed the thing on advanced COMPANIONS i read it and it kind of confused me..... Can you explain it better to me and you said your first 3 companions show up in battle but what if i want my companion roster to be randomized? I like it better randomized... is there a way for this... and What is the average cost for this miracle mitch guy i think thats his name is it going to be expensive and if you want your companions to heal after being wounded... how long does it take?? Can you please answer these i am seriously confused....

PRODUCERS REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Community Leader
Thanks for the info Jack!

I'll try to keep my mind open, and me thoughts positive!!!

Viva le pet!

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks for the info Jack!

I'll try to keep my mind open, and me thoughts positive!!!

Viva le pet!
i understand where you are coming from, but here is my opinion: first of all, if the pet's didnt want to fight, they wouldnt. second, and i am gonna be serious here, in this game we have started wars, ruined cities, sacked forts, and sunk hundreds of ships. in comparison, if you cant help but to look at it as dog fighting, it honestly does not seem so awful. i know that sounds awful, but you cant deny it. finally, it is important to remember that its all just a list of 1 and 0, none of it is real, nobody is actually being harmed. if there is anything to be concerned about, its the new vitality of companions in battle.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I will make sure not to abusively use my pets, just because their virtual doesn't mean we should treat them differently as to real life!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Same here. It's why I said I am reserving judgement until I can try it in the test realm. I was just voicing what my knee jerk response was and I truly hope you are right Jack. * Begins gathering cheer leading supplies for pet trunk. *

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
lets just hope this is for other things than just pvp, it would be very useful to have these powers/talents on your pet for questing. but if all the pet talents/powers are only for pvp, this is just another dumb bragging rights contest...and like player vs player, you wont hear the end of it

Developer
Logan Sharp on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
lets just hope this is for other things than just pvp, it would be very useful to have these powers/talents on your pet for questing. but if all the pet talents/powers are only for pvp, this is just another dumb bragging rights contest...and like player vs player, you wont hear the end of it
Our pet system does not have a second track of "Derby Talents" like W101, that are only useful in pet activities.

Every talent and power that your pet learns is useful for questing as well.

Some of them are frighteningly powerful.

I think my favorite part of the new pet system is that your pet's level can actually exceed your pirate level. As I was playtesting the new pet system myself with a brand new character, my witchdoctor was about 12th level and my pet was 30th level.

He saved my bacon too many times to count.

Community Leader
How will pets be "converted" to the new system?

Will my level 65 pets remain level 65 moving forward?

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
Ratbeard on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Our pet system does not have a second track of "Derby Talents" like W101, that are only useful in pet activities.

I think my favorite part of the new pet system is that your pet's level can actually exceed your pirate level. As I was playtesting the new pet system myself with a brand new character, my witchdoctor was about 12th level and my pet was 30th level.

How will this translate to PvP? Even in PvE I see this being dangerous in the early levels where balance is concerned.

Community Leader
@Ratbeard,

Will pets be able to exceed the level cap?

Visit Adventures of the Spiral today for tips and tricks on how to improve your gameplay.
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

*Mouth drops open in astonishment, then slowly morphs into a huge grin* This is going to be such a ride. Now I AM really excited.

Developer
How will pets be "converted" to the new system?

"Automagically," as we say around the office.

Will my level 65 pets remain level 65 moving forward?

I don't understand the question. Moving forward from what point to what point?

Will pets be able to exceed the level cap?

No. When the level cap goes up, the pet level cap goes up, too.

How will this translate to PvP?

• For PvP matches under the level cap, you may occasionally face a nasty higher level pet!
  • For PvP matches at the level cap, you will face L65 pets, just like you did before. But they'll be a lot tougher.
  • In fact for all PvP matches, you'll find that pets are much tougher than previously.
All of that being said, PvP remains an optional activity in a "Test Only" state. It's unranked; a gentleman's sport, if you will. You may find that it helps to come to an agreement before the match as to whether pets may be equipped or not.

Even in PvE I see this being dangerous in the early levels where balance is concerned.

It's probably better for you to spend your time questing and advancing your Pirate, but if you'd prefer to spend your time and effort working on your Pet instead, that's fine, too. I think most players will settle into a mix of activities.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009

thanks for the info Ratbeard, but I got another Q for ya...
as you mentioned before with pets gaining new powers/talents, are we going to possibly control the pet in the future, for its powers, or will it attack/use its powers randomly like some bosses do?

Captain
May 16, 2011
If a pet receives new powers, that could be a bit of a problem. What if the pet uses the power at the wrong time? I hope that players will be able to control their pets as they fight.