Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What witches really need!

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
I cant believe I am saying this but

Witchdoctors don't need help

Through the understanding of my powers I have learnt that people just don't know how to use this class, it's amazing what potential hasn't been brought up to the surface, I have been doing great and I don't pay to win, no nausica or no Goro

So what do witches really need, witches need their charm back because I will admit I have been in a few struggles where it hasn't helped without it but when it comes back boy will it be a force to be reckoned with

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 11, 2016 wrote:
I cant believe I am saying this but

Witchdoctors don't need help

Through the understanding of my powers I have learnt that people just don't know how to use this class, it's amazing what potential hasn't been brought up to the surface, I have been doing great and I don't pay to win, no nausica or no Goro

So what do witches really need, witches need their charm back because I will admit I have been in a few struggles where it hasn't helped without it but when it comes back boy will it be a force to be reckoned with
Could you give some tips in this post for WD who are struggling in PVP? Maybe give some ideas on strategy? I'm sure you'll get many replies from WDs who are having problems.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 11, 2016 wrote:
Could you give some tips in this post for WD who are struggling in PVP? Maybe give some ideas on strategy? I'm sure you'll get many replies from WDs who are having problems.
Yes sure

First off before you even think about fighting google what your powers do if your unsure on what they do

Now in game three defensive powers I recommend having ready are mojo reaver great for fending off the PC swashbuckler when you just can't hit them secondly a hide so that less attacks can hit you and lastly the elusive shadow step can give 2-3 turns of buffs or long range attacks because you are so far

Aggressive powers I would reccomend having are evil eye (I forgot the maxed version name) this greatly combats old scratches buff if you can get in line with the enemy PC this is especially incredible against privateers secondly have all your 9x9 targeting powers ready mojo storm jobus breath and Davy Jones reach are amazing to have out you can either deal a lot of damage, attack and heal in one turn or lower their criticals rendering companions like the marchioness and nausica critical chains useless and it can greatly lower the damage and hits from reckless frenzy

Your wand can be important too the range can be super effective in PvP if you are max level I reccomend going to nova Aquila in the weapon shop you will find a wand that has 5 range plus spirit sight that is 6 range, once acquiring this wand you have the choice of farming Phules wand which I left a guide on how to farm him in rapid succession or farm moo Manchu for his wand.

I will talk about my companions and strategy in the next post

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Continued

The most important companion I use is old scratch, his buff makes winning the summon war a breeze if you don't know what this is just ask, he makes my 9x9 attacks so much stronger and makes heals and forts game changing

I also use ratbeard his hold the line 3 and first strike 3 makes him almost impervious to attacks from swashbucklers and Buccaneers he is the gatekeeper if he is broken that's when you must use your defensive powers

Lastly El Toro all I do is place a fort and Ravens cry on this guy and he is unstoppable his riposte 3 along with esprit de corps means he will almost always dodge I use him as clean up and back up you will know when you need to use the guy

So for my strategy try and search up Duncan's PvP barricade strategy I use a similar technique to this it will show where to move your companions and yourself and how to turn yourself from squishy to super steel

Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
From my experience in PvP, I can tell that WD can do very great, but still are facing problems with sustainability against powerful damage units (Swashbucklers and most Buccaneers). WD, like Balance in W101, is utility based, and like myth and death respectively, has minions and drains. The real problem isn't with our amazing spells (even though charm needs to return), but is with our STATS and COMPANIONS. Our accuracy for damage talents, dodge for survivability and health for the same reason are pretty awful. We have only slightly more health than that of SB's. Same with companions, except for the fact that ALL their stats are trash. Hopefully, the many new spells, talents and gear would positively affect our PvP by balancing our WD's stats and perhaps some more defensive capabilities in spells. A nice example would be that Mana Burn (from Wizard101) counterpart that damages depending on how high your opponent's spell power is, as this would give us some edge with Old Scratch who is used by many other classes while we're supposed to get the priority of this advantage in PVP. I'd love to read your thoughts about what you've read, and see you share your own! Good day!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mindy GoldenHeart on Jan 13, 2016 wrote:
From my experience in PvP, I can tell that WD can do very great, but still are facing problems with sustainability against powerful damage units (Swashbucklers and most Buccaneers). WD, like Balance in W101, is utility based, and like myth and death respectively, has minions and drains. The real problem isn't with our amazing spells (even though charm needs to return), but is with our STATS and COMPANIONS. Our accuracy for damage talents, dodge for survivability and health for the same reason are pretty awful. We have only slightly more health than that of SB's. Same with companions, except for the fact that ALL their stats are trash. Hopefully, the many new spells, talents and gear would positively affect our PvP by balancing our WD's stats and perhaps some more defensive capabilities in spells. A nice example would be that Mana Burn (from Wizard101) counterpart that damages depending on how high your opponent's spell power is, as this would give us some edge with Old Scratch who is used by many other classes while we're supposed to get the priority of this advantage in PVP. I'd love to read your thoughts about what you've read, and see you share your own! Good day!
Strangely enough, Mindy, Ratbeard had mentioned in a post on Old Scratch that a "mojo burn" was a possible power.
I think it was in a post called "Old Scratch makes dungeons boring".

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 11, 2016 wrote:
Continued

The most important companion I use is old scratch, his buff makes winning the summon war a breeze if you don't know what this is just ask, he makes my 9x9 attacks so much stronger and makes heals and forts game changing

I also use ratbeard his hold the line 3 and first strike 3 makes him almost impervious to attacks from swashbucklers and Buccaneers he is the gatekeeper if he is broken that's when you must use your defensive powers

Lastly El Toro all I do is place a fort and Ravens cry on this guy and he is unstoppable his riposte 3 along with esprit de corps means he will almost always dodge I use him as clean up and back up you will know when you need to use the guy

So for my strategy try and search up Duncan's PvP barricade strategy I use a similar technique to this it will show where to move your companions and yourself and how to turn yourself from squishy to super steel
My witchdoctor is currently using Bishop's Staff and of course has trained Walk in Shadows and has gear that grants Walk in Darkness, If a WD doesn't have a barricade would spamming summons be of any use?

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 13, 2016 wrote:
My witchdoctor is currently using Bishop's Staff and of course has trained Walk in Shadows and has gear that grants Walk in Darkness, If a WD doesn't have a barricade would spamming summons be of any use?
Yes, for a witchdoctor using Gracie old scratch and pig necromancer (altough a horrible team) with blighted fangs and fall champion weapon or nefarious staff it is possible to have 27 ally's on the board (including pet) then yes it has worked for me too when barricade doesn't show up (my worst nightmare) plus I know of gear which can summon an oni or treant so that is even more once your safe with summons, it's a back up plan to have in mind

Ensign
Sep 08, 2015
You know whats my strategy? Three turns just for boosting spellpower and then use up all of my 3x3. It's really effective, and i use scratch, mormo and carcarius. My strategy has worked so many times that i just don't want to let it go. But now i'm stuck on the pig bandit tower and i just die on the second - third floor. So does anyone know how to pass that?

Annoying Amber lvl 43

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
AnonymousTruth1854 on Jan 15, 2016 wrote:
You know whats my strategy? Three turns just for boosting spellpower and then use up all of my 3x3. It's really effective, and i use scratch, mormo and carcarius. My strategy has worked so many times that i just don't want to let it go. But now i'm stuck on the pig bandit tower and i just die on the second - third floor. So does anyone know how to pass that?

Annoying Amber lvl 43
Yes, give up that strategy because it's not working in that battle, since you're using Old Scratch, then keep him, but I would also use El Toro ( you have promoted him, I hope? ) and Lefty. You therefore have Scratch's buff, Toro's buff ( and an awesome melee fighter ) and Lefty is a great range fighter.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
AnonymousTruth1854 on Jan 15, 2016 wrote:

Annoying Amber lvl 43
Btw in ranked PvP you will get crushed with 3'turns of spell power buffing, anecrobie has great tips for you below your post you could even use Bonnie Anne over lefty if you choose