Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateers: An Underwhelming Class in Ranked PVP

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 18, 2015
Ranked PVP is undoubtedly filled with Swashbucklers or Buccaneers (and occasionally the skilled Privateer, Musketeer, or Witchdoctor). As a Privateer myself, I also struggle with the ability to gain rank since other classes can generally counter the defensive nature of a Privateer. Even with the new update granting First Strike 3 the capability of removing Hidden, I find myself prey to Swashbucklers, who are usually clever enough to avoid attacking the companion(s) with FS3. It is too risky for any class to bring a full team of FS3 companions simply to counter Swashbucklers on the off-chance the opponent is a different class. While I have only done 6 matches on my Privy, I have encountered 3 Swash, 2 Buccs, and 1 Witch. My friend on his Swashbuckler encountered 3 SB and 1 Witch. While this ratio is not necessarily a negative indication of anything, as someone mentioned in another thread, certain classes are struggling in this new system of Ranked PVP. While I cannot vouch for any classes other than Privateer, I know for a fact that the small board does not really allow Privateers to effectively buff and protect themselves and their companions. Swashbuckler Black Fog (along with Walk in Darkness) lasts for FIVE turns which is enough to outlast Zeal and (equivalent to) Valor's Fortress.

With the increased power of companions, some might be tempted to believe Privateers have a better chance of winning due to their reliance on companions. While occasionally this could prove true, in general, other classes' companions are strong enough to the point where the Privateer companions are weakened and beyond Healing with our minor heals. Then, the opposing Captain defeats the remaining companions. In a 1v1 Captain Fight, a Privateer with 1 or 2 Assassin Strikes could only really defeat a Witchdoctor or a newer PVP player. I fear that the Ranked PVP system is not particularly fair towards Privateers. The top Privateers usually exhibit Moo's Robe and the Nefarious Staff. While this is okay, there still remains a HUGE discrepancy between Privateers and other classes.

Sorry, I just felt like ranting, but I still enjoy the merits of PVP. I do not want this post to rub people the wrong way. Skilled Swashbucklers are top for a reason, but I just feel the meta-game is unfair towards the balance of classes in the top ranks.