Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Sneaky little Yohr

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 17, 2010
Hello,

Recently the Grizzleheim pack came to the crown shop and it's companions have taken Pirate101 by storm. It is hard to understate how powerful these are; you think Nausica and Goro were good? Well some of these companions completely outclass the other two. The shining star is Yohr; with the capability to singlehanded lay obliterate an entire team due to the hidden change, I think Sneaky Sneaky 2 should be toned down a level. Right now it is casting almost every turn; permanent 2x damage, that is, plus total invulnerability to all single target attacks for the duration. His epics are fine; I understand he is meant to be a good companion, but with sneaky this is way over the top. I suggest just removing sneaky rank 2 and lower the rate of sneaky sneaky. Otherwise Pirate101 will become a pay to win game, a type of game everyone loathes. Don't let that happen; balance properly, Kingsisle. Thanks.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Issac Newton on Sep 5, 2014 wrote:
Hello,

Recently the Grizzleheim pack came to the crown shop and it's companions have taken Pirate101 by storm. It is hard to understate how powerful these are; you think Nausica and Goro were good? Well some of these companions completely outclass the other two. The shining star is Yohr; with the capability to singlehanded lay obliterate an entire team due to the hidden change, I think Sneaky Sneaky 2 should be toned down a level. Right now it is casting almost every turn; permanent 2x damage, that is, plus total invulnerability to all single target attacks for the duration. His epics are fine; I understand he is meant to be a good companion, but with sneaky this is way over the top. I suggest just removing sneaky rank 2 and lower the rate of sneaky sneaky. Otherwise Pirate101 will become a pay to win game, a type of game everyone loathes. Don't let that happen; balance properly, Kingsisle. Thanks.
As much as I respect Ratbeard and I'm glad he's indeed listening to our complaints (even if he's yet to start balancing for PvP, unsure if that's still true), I have to say hidden is a rather poorly designed mechanic. I love the idea of stealth and the whole bonus hit concept, but it's been handled awfully. The hidden mechanic and so the Swashbuckler class as well (to an extent) have begun to remind me of the little yordle, Tristana. Too many advantages with little drawbacks.

Ensign
Apr 15, 2009
Yes the activation rate seems very high for such a significant talent. Normal stealth at least has an opportunity, no matter how little to be able to respond to the enemy stealth attack, but this provides invulnerability if you manage to get 2-3 in a row.

I'm glad the change that removes stealth at the end of your turn went through otherwise they would also be getting 2x damage every turn sneaky sneaky activates.

This talent from experiences seems to be activating 75% of the time which is really over the top. I shrudder to imagine the power of Sneaky Sneaky 3.

Lieutenant
Oct 01, 2010
Sneaky Sneaky 2 only lasts for only one enemy round ever since the update. This means that when Yohr gets a chance to hide, he only stays hidden for his enemies' round. Once it is his turn again, the hidden wears off, making Yohr stripped of x2 damage and vulnerable to responsive epics such as First Strike, Overwatch, and Vengeance Strike. I think Yohr is good as he is. Sneaky Sneaky 2 is only used as a defensive mechanism, which helps him be on par with the other bears.

Developer
PiratePikmin on Sep 10, 2014 wrote:
Yes the activation rate seems very high for such a significant talent. Normal stealth at least has an opportunity, no matter how little to be able to respond to the enemy stealth attack, but this provides invulnerability if you manage to get 2-3 in a row.

I'm glad the change that removes stealth at the end of your turn went through otherwise they would also be getting 2x damage every turn sneaky sneaky activates.

This talent from experiences seems to be activating 75% of the time which is really over the top. I shrudder to imagine the power of Sneaky Sneaky 3.
Are you guys unable to drop AoE's on hidden units?

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
Yohr was the companion I got from the pack and I would admit he is really good! Also he is my first mate. I think the sneaky sneaky isn't too op because it ends at the beginning of the round instead of the end.

The Loyal Swashbuckler
Noble Ryan Thompson

Ensign
Apr 15, 2009
Ratbeard on Sep 10, 2014 wrote:
Are you guys unable to drop AoE's on hidden units?
Haha well I'm primarily a Buccaneer so I guess I am vouching for Privateers and Buccaneers. Regardless, AoE is a lot less effective to be able to respond to stealth units. Only Musketeer and Witchdoctor get reliable AoE, and Witchdoctor has to hope the enemy decides to bunch their units up to be able to use any of theirs. But this has already been gone over in other threads and I understand the current stealth changes now.

Sneaky Sneaky, however, bypasses the weakness of stealth which is a period of vulnerability after your attack. I'm fine with the talent existing and sometimes providing 2 turns of being unable to target the enemy with conventional attacks. But I personally have found the activation rate of Sneaky Sneaky 2 to be very high; in some cases I've seen 3-4 turns in a row. I could AOE him 3-4 turns in a row, if I'm lucky (well if I was a Musketeer/Witchdoctor), and he could still easily be alive after that because of the additional 500 health Swashbuckler gets from the update. In those 3-4 turns he has almost assuredly done far more damage to me with his ability to chain 4 attacks each of those turns.

Does it have any triggers or criteria that increase the activation rate? Would you be able to disclose how often this talent is supposed to activate % wise?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
We had a hidden Corrupted Imperial Lion that was the last enemy in the fight. He stayed hidden for four straight turns. No one had an AoE card up and we just had to hope for defensive hits on whoever he attacked. All the minions and pets just lined up along the edge in confusion. We finally got some AoE cards and that DID damage him and he came out of hiding after that. So, yes. Ratbeard they will help but when they stay hidden that long and the cards are not eva in our fava, it sure makes for a strange battle.

Developer
PiratePikmin on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
Haha well I'm primarily a Buccaneer so I guess I am vouching for Privateers and Buccaneers. Regardless, AoE is a lot less effective to be able to respond to stealth units. Only Musketeer and Witchdoctor get reliable AoE, and Witchdoctor has to hope the enemy decides to bunch their units up to be able to use any of theirs. But this has already been gone over in other threads and I understand the current stealth changes now.

Sneaky Sneaky, however, bypasses the weakness of stealth which is a period of vulnerability after your attack. I'm fine with the talent existing and sometimes providing 2 turns of being unable to target the enemy with conventional attacks. But I personally have found the activation rate of Sneaky Sneaky 2 to be very high; in some cases I've seen 3-4 turns in a row. I could AOE him 3-4 turns in a row, if I'm lucky (well if I was a Musketeer/Witchdoctor), and he could still easily be alive after that because of the additional 500 health Swashbuckler gets from the update. In those 3-4 turns he has almost assuredly done far more damage to me with his ability to chain 4 attacks each of those turns.

Does it have any triggers or criteria that increase the activation rate? Would you be able to disclose how often this talent is supposed to activate % wise?
Haha well I'm primarily a Buccaneer so I guess I am vouching for Privateers and Buccaneers.

Then we clearly have a different definition of "invulnerable."

Yes, some classes are at a disadvantage against other classes. This is not news. (This is also why 1v1 is a terrible starting setup for a match, but... you guys do what works for you.)

My Swashbuckler carries a Shooty combo weapon (preferably one with Scattershot), cross trains Musketeer powers, and collects AOE gear.

The top Musketeer burst powers do x2 damage base. With bonuses for Agility, and further bonuses for high Accuracy.

Only Musketeer and Witchdoctor get reliable AoE...

I'm not overly persuaded by arguments that something new is forcing you to change your preferred play style.

We're always adding new things. Your "PvP Meta" is always going to be changing.

In those 3-4 turns he has almost assuredly done far more damage to me with his ability to chain 4 attacks each of those turns.

Time for a second look at Armor, Agility, Dodge, and Vengeance Strike, perhaps? Maybe a little something to mitigate the chances/effects of taking 4 attacks a turn?

At some point it's going to occur to you guys that it's worth playing defense. How much offense is worth sacrificing for defense? Legitimate question. But you're not even trying.

If you insist on making your PvP matches into bigger and bigger escalations of 1v1 Glass Cannon matches, then I would expect the game to lose a bit of nuance.

Don't misunderstand me-- I absolutely appreciate the feedback from you (pikmin), nesogra, Eric, Lucas, LeahC-- too many to name you all. But I take a looooooong view on balance. I do listen, and I do react, but I have to temper it with the knowledge that you guys are prone to snap judgments, you are often not in possession of all the facts, and you are often arguing from a point of self-interest.

Recently the Grizzleheim pack came to the crown shop and it's companions have taken Pirate101 by storm.

This was posted one day after the pack came out.

Would you be able to disclose how often this talent is supposed to activate % wise?

Often enough to be a really good, really desirable talent, often enough that in "some cases" you might see it work 3-4 turns in a row-- but not often enough that you're "invulnerable."

Ensign
Aug 17, 2012
Ratbeard on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
Haha well I'm primarily a Buccaneer so I guess I am vouching for Privateers and Buccaneers.

Yes, some classes are at a disadvantage against other classes. This is not news. (This is also why 1v1 is a terrible starting setup for a match, but... you guys do what works for you.)

My Swashbuckler carries a Shooty combo weapon (preferably one with Scattershot), cross trains Musketeer powers, and collects AOE gear.

The top Musketeer burst powers do x2 damage base. With bonuses for Agility, and further bonuses for high Accuracy.

I'm not overly persuaded by arguments that something new is forcing you to change your preferred play style.

In those 3-4 turns he has almost assuredly done far more damage to me with his ability to chain 4 attacks each of those turns.

Time for a second look at Armor, Agility, Dodge, and Vengeance Strike, perhaps? Maybe a little something to mitigate the chances/effects of taking 4 attacks a turn?

At some point it's going to occur to you guys that it's worth playing defense. How much offense is worth sacrificing for defense? Legitimate question. But you're not even trying.

If you insist on making your PvP matches into bigger and bigger escalations of 1v1 Glass Cannon matches, then I would expect the game to lose a bit of nuance.

Don't misunderstand me-- I absolutely appreciate the feedback from you (pikmin), nesogra, Eric, Lucas, LeahC-- too many to name you all. But I take a looooooong view on balance. I do listen, and I do react, but I have to temper it with the knowledge that you guys are prone to snap judgments, you are often not in possession of all the facts, and you are often arguing from a point of self-interest.

Recently the Grizzleheim pack came to the crown shop and it's companions have taken Pirate101 by storm.

Would you be able to disclose how often this talent is supposed to activate % wise?

Often enough to be a really good, really desirable talent, often enough that in "some cases" you might see it work 3-4 turns in a row-- but not often enough that you're "invulnerable."
I'm with Ratbeard on this one. Since the update to Blade Storm, I've started carrying a Slashy/Shooty weapon (Too bad there's no Strength-based Smashy/Shooty. Might I request a massive cannon or spear with a gun at the end, Ratbeard? ) and using a combination of ranged and melee crit cards on my Buccaneer. Currently grinding Pariss for his Quiver to see how Burst Fire interacts with the play-style. So far, I miss having the raw damage of the Big Smashy weapons, but I love the flexibility and the idea of having a little more of a presence on the board.

Be ready to adapt. And be happy that things change. A stagnant meta is a boring meta.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
The problem with defense, as some people have already mentioned, is that it takes 4 turns and 4 card slots to effectively shield yourself and your three companions, where as it only takes 2 turns to use black fog and come out of it. I do like how this gives Barnabas more of the spotlight with his Triton's Song ability, and I have come up with a very eccentric strategy against the hidden onslaught. That said, the strategy requires farming for some very specific items, and I feel like where I was 8 months ago, where as a bucc, I couldn't face a privy without Bishop's Sproket Key. The bucklers have the freedom to equip whatever they want for cards as long as they have at least one shield for themselves, and we have to base our entire strategy around one line of powers.

I see the counterplay that musketeers and witchdoctors have. Privateers can equip massive amounts of shields now. The update has helped buccs in that blade storm is much more useful, but a swashbuckler without item cards is still stronger than a bucc without item cards.

For a while, I thought about what could be done to nerf hidden and restore balance to the game. But now I see that the answer is not in hidden. Swashbucklers finally act the way they're supposed to. What we need is another ability for the buccs to enjoy. I think that buccaneers should eventually have a power that shields their entire team from 25-50% melee attacks for 2-3 turns. Or glancing blow should be able to hit hidden units. Better yet, hold the line works on hidden units. Any of these things would allow swashbucklers to still flaunt their stealth and destructive hits, but also allow the buccaneer to operate as intended, as a tank that can withstand those attacks.

Any thoughts?

Ensign
Jan 17, 2010
Ratbeard brings up an interesting point: defensive powers in PvP. Before I go into powers, I think the armor and resist is really in need of a buff in significance. Who cares about armor or resist when you just valor fortress and get a flat 50% damage reduction. So Ratbeard, the PvP meta game is set by what works; strategies that work consistently are popularized; strategies (ahem, non glass cannon setups) that fail diminish. It just so happened the glass cannon setup is ossified into the core of the meta game. If you wish to diversify the meta, make defense something that is more scalable (instead of the current stackable).

Back on topic; as I mentioned before, armor matters as secondary compared to defensive buffs. Which are, of course, limited to 2 classes. Right. Now you go get gear that gives those; they last 5 turns, for a significant reduction. Yohr, on the other hand, has unlimited hide. Well that makes sense; your farmed gear vs unlimited, unfarmed hide. You say agility is defense. I agree; it matters, but like armor it's not primarily significant. Since everyone can boost other stats, many times your defensively used buff is countered by offensively used buffs on the other team. Then, dodge. Only privateers get a reliable dodge boost. El toro also, but that is also easily negated. If you invest more into dodge, you usually lose cards, which makes you be in a rut since the other pirate will have a big card advantage. And vengeance strike. Sorry if this made me laugh; but Yohr is made to dodge. Vengeance strike is feeding the troll(bear). In a vengeance-riposte scenario, riposte wins most of the time, based on my experience with equal buffs.

You are right about the game losing details. This is because of the offensive power creep in the gear. Who cares about AoE when you take the pirate out in 2 hits with hidden assassins. This is probably the biggest problem right now.

Anyways, Yohr is borderline captain level in his hides; sneaky sneaky 1 would suffice

Ensign
Apr 15, 2009
Ratbeard on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:

Before I continue, my opinions as you said are coming from a 1v1 perspective. All of these changes are for the advancement of combat which is the priority. I love many of these new changes in the PvE environment, and I'm sure Group PvP benefits from the additional options. I would love for 1v1 to be a priority, but in the end, catering to 1v1 and the rest of the game simultaneously can't always be done with incremental updates in a group-orientated game.

I'm all for hybrid weapons; I myself used to use the AOE powers as well as the Dodge Reduce powers during the MB/AQ update to counter Privateer. Now I have not recently used combos (primarily because of the growth of other aspects of combat) so I am not well versed with their strengths currently, but against Stealth it is still ineffective at actually hitting them if the Swashbuckler properly spaces. Either I group up so he has to group up to hit my units and I get poison'd to death, or I space out and my AoE is useless. This is the case for Witchdoctor and Privateer as well. Maybe a new Nefarious Combo weapon could convince me? ;)

Individual stats don't have the same impact as Power Cards. I could get 50 armor or 100 health, or I could get a Valor's Fortress/Armor. Unless I get a large portion of stats, in which I surrender key parts of damage or defense, stats are negligible. I would love for some powerful no auction gear to have large portions of stats instead of Power Cards. Maybe 300 health Robes? 25 Dodge Hats? 100 Armor robes? It is very hard to itemize for stats when power cards are superior for almost every stat besides Dodge.

The game has been abandoning the ability to sustain. Every update since the MB/AQ update has been speeding combat up. Privateer Buffs, Levi Call, BS/DT/MR Critical, even the Brawl Hall reduction, new companions, stealth weapon power no longer bugged.

The new gear was a good start to alleviate the problems. The new powers per piece of gear allow for itemization in other areas. Regardless, we don't have the health pools to survive the amount of damage that can consistently come out every turn.

Our companions are also a large part of the issue. Both the Pet and Tower updates provided companions that are undeniably a level above anything else we have in the game. Denying the opponent direct attacks may be effective when there are 20 units on the field, but in 1v1 it is absolutely destructive.

Isaac Newton said it well; we have an immense power creep with no solution in sight.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
The power creep doesn't lie in the high damage alone, but in the defensive buffs as well. Having a Valor's Fortress or Leviathan's Call can render Armor, Resist, and Pentration pretty much useless especially since matches are played at a much faster pace now. Why would I go for a range of 30-45 reduced physical when I can just go for reduced half damage for a significant amount of the battle?

Valor's Fortress is widely known as the best defensive, if not overall power in the game. You're taking reduced half damage for 5 rounds against any attack and that effect cannot be lowered. It can be removed with Purge Magic, but the user and nearby allies are also going to lose whatever buffs they have. Quite the gamble.

I'm not suggesting we nerf Valor's Fortress, but I do suggest that it should increase Armor and Resist rather than just apply a damage halving effect. 150 Armor and Resist for 5 rounds sounds pretty darn nice, but at lower levels this is way too strong correct? Well then let's fix that.

Right now Armor and Resist work like this: I have 50 Armor and my opponent's deals say 260 physical damage. I absorb 25-50 of the damage he'd of actually dealt meaning his damage range is actually 210-235.

Perhaps it should work like this. I have 150 Armor meaning I take 23% reduced damage from physical attacks or something to that effect and Penetration could work the same way.

That could solve the problem regarding defensive buffs, but the power creep that's present due to the unrealistic amounts of damage we and our companions can dish out is another story.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
bluba4 on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
The problem with defense, as some people have already mentioned, is that it takes 4 turns and 4 card slots to effectively shield yourself and your three companions, where as it only takes 2 turns to use black fog and come out of it. I do like how this gives Barnabas more of the spotlight with his Triton's Song ability, and I have come up with a very eccentric strategy against the hidden onslaught. That said, the strategy requires farming for some very specific items, and I feel like where I was 8 months ago, where as a bucc, I couldn't face a privy without Bishop's Sproket Key. The bucklers have the freedom to equip whatever they want for cards as long as they have at least one shield for themselves, and we have to base our entire strategy around one line of powers.

I see the counterplay that musketeers and witchdoctors have. Privateers can equip massive amounts of shields now. The update has helped buccs in that blade storm is much more useful, but a swashbuckler without item cards is still stronger than a bucc without item cards.

For a while, I thought about what could be done to nerf hidden and restore balance to the game. But now I see that the answer is not in hidden. Swashbucklers finally act the way they're supposed to. What we need is another ability for the buccs to enjoy. I think that buccaneers should eventually have a power that shields their entire team from 25-50% melee attacks for 2-3 turns. Or glancing blow should be able to hit hidden units. Better yet, hold the line works on hidden units. Any of these things would allow swashbucklers to still flaunt their stealth and destructive hits, but also allow the buccaneer to operate as intended, as a tank that can withstand those attacks.

Any thoughts?
Glancing Blow does hit hidden units ( darn it! )

Developer
bluba4 on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:

Any thoughts?
Glancing blow should be able to hit hidden units.

Glancing Blow has always been able to hit hidden units. Let me know if it's not working.

The update has helped buccs in that blade storm is much more useful, but a swashbuckler without item cards is still stronger than a bucc without item cards.

It can be removed with Purge Magic, but the user and nearby allies are also going to lose whatever buffs they have. Quite the gamble.

Sounds like maybe you guys should put your heads together.

Right now Armor and Resist work like this: I have 50 Armor. I absorb 25-50 of the damage.

Hmm... I've been unhappy with the random Armor roll since its inception. I agree that there's enough randomness in the damage roll itself, and enough of a need for Armor and Resist to get a buff, to remove the randomness. 50 Armor means 50 Armor. I'll revisit the design.

The PvP meta game is set by what works; strategies that work consistently are popularized; strategies that fail diminish.

And when failing strategies are buffed and/or the prevailing strategies are impacted, you fellows scream bloody murder.

I used to use the AOE powers... but against Stealth it is still ineffective at actually hitting them if the Swashbuckler properly spaces.

You didn't answer the question.
I'm not asking whether or not you can get two or more units under the AoE. Are you unable to target hidden units directly with AoE power cards? You should be able to target the SWB directly, and the top MSK powers do x2 base with bonuses for both AGI and Accuracy.

Maybe a new Nefarious Combo weapon could convince me?

Interesting enough, the Privateer was Shooty/Slashy when I first built her-- she had the sword and the wolf pistol. I still have that combo weapon in data...

The power creep that's present due to the unrealistic amounts of damage we and our companions can dish out is another story.

Power creep-- number escalation-- is part of the medium.

We don't have the health to survive the amount of damage that can consistently come out every turn.

There's a correlation between the fact that your newbie pirate can take out a troggie in 2 or 3 hits without talents or power cards, and the fact that your level 65 pirate with maxxed out gear can take out an opponent (with thousands of health points) in 2 or 3 hits if you use your best talents and power cards.

And if you don't use your best talents and power cards... well, that's why it takes some people 3 hours to get through the Gauntlet.

Ponder the similarities of a 1v1 match of 1st level pirates, and a 1v1 match of 65th level pirates, vis a vis power creep.

Combat pretty much takes a consistent 3-5 planning phases, regardless of level.

Just like it was at 1st level, you should think of combat in terms of chess: swapping pieces. You move your units into position to maximize the chance that, when you make your move, you win the exchange of pieces.

Every update since MB/AQ has been speeding combat up.

Because that's more important for the PvE experience.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Well, we have quite the little conversation going on here, so, mind if I add in my 2 cents?

I love this part:

Right now Armor and Resist work like this: I have 50 Armor. I absorb 25-50 of the damage.

Hmm... I've been unhappy with the random Armor roll since its inception. I agree that there's enough randomness in the damage roll itself, and enough of a need for Armor and Resist to get a buff, to remove the randomness. 50 Armor means 50 Armor. I'll revisit the design.

I have stated for some time now, that armor for Buccaneers and companions need a serious increase. A Buccaneer is supposed to be a tank and able to absorb most damage, be the front line if you will in a battle, but with the gear from the packs, light armor is almost as good as the heavy armor? Only 10 difference?

Companions need a serious boost to their armor as 17 to 33 is definitely not enough, some Buccaneer companions have 70s but not all, take RatBeard for instance, he is very low in the armor rating! I hope he takes a good look at the armor, would be nice for this aspect to work as it should, because there is so much to love about this game.

Another good statement was:

Maybe a new Nefarious Combo weapon could convince me?

Interesting enough, the Privateer was Shooty/Slashy when I first built her-- she had the sword and the wolf pistol. I still have that combo weapon in data...

I know in my own personal opinion the weapons were much better in test realm than they are in live realm, but that is my opinion. Now, I don't see much advantage to having most of the new weapons, except the looks of them, which if you cant stitch them, they mean nothing!

Please revisit the weapons, I believe you were on the right track, not sure why the changes from test to live, but then again, I don't hear all the complaints you get either.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Ratbeard, I really like the thought about hybrid weapons. However, as some people have posted, the hybrid weapons currently in play are significantly weaker, other than Smashy/slashy combos. I would definitely hop on board with the hybrid concept if I didn't have to sacrifice 50 weapon power and follow through or flames off corruption and turn the tide. However, my other complaint about hybrid combos is that there is one combo missing: shooty smashy. There are smashy shooty weapons in play that take the form of a gun and shield. However, in order to use smashy shooty, I have to forgoe all of my melee attacks and only use ranged attacks. Not cool. Right now, my best hybrid combo weapon is the navarcho's set, shooty slashy with a bonus from strength. Using this, I can both vicious charge and inferno shot. But it comes at a cost in weapon power, even with slashy 2 trained. I would very much support the thought of shooty smashy so that buccaneers become more apt to use range.

Developer
bluba4 on Sep 17, 2014 wrote:
Ratbeard, I really like the thought about hybrid weapons. However, as some people have posted, the hybrid weapons currently in play are significantly weaker, other than Smashy/slashy combos. I would definitely hop on board with the hybrid concept if I didn't have to sacrifice 50 weapon power and follow through or flames off corruption and turn the tide. However, my other complaint about hybrid combos is that there is one combo missing: shooty smashy. There are smashy shooty weapons in play that take the form of a gun and shield. However, in order to use smashy shooty, I have to forgoe all of my melee attacks and only use ranged attacks. Not cool. Right now, my best hybrid combo weapon is the navarcho's set, shooty slashy with a bonus from strength. Using this, I can both vicious charge and inferno shot. But it comes at a cost in weapon power, even with slashy 2 trained. I would very much support the thought of shooty smashy so that buccaneers become more apt to use range.
Shooty/Smashy isn't missing. It's right there as you pointed out-- Pistol and Shield.

In order to use smashy shooty, I have to forgoe all of my melee attacks and only use ranged attacks. Not cool.

Not every option available in the game is going to be maximized for you, and not all maximized options are going to be available.

Right now, my best hybrid combo weapon is the navarcho's set, shooty slashy with a bonus from strength. Using this, I can both vicious charge and inferno shot. But it comes at a cost in weapon power, even with slashy 2 trained.

So you're saying... that you get some added versatility in power use, at the cost of some weapon power, but that you'd like to get the added versatility in power use, without any cost in weapon power.

Yeah... I'll get right on that.