Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Lamentations of a Privateer

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 15, 2012
Well, I've been coming back to my level 65 Privateer quite a bit while not working on my Witchdoctor and the jury is in ... my favorite character has been emasculated by the last big update release. The Privateer was such a fun odd ball character because he spent 90 percent of his combat time making both his companions and other players much better. This allowed me to play all sorts of companions I never play with my other pirates because they are not very good without enhancements. It was especially nice to not have to play El Toro as my first mate for a change (to use his buff). Alas, that has ended. Between the shortened buff time of the higher level buffs and what seems at this point to be the complete gutting of the Critical Hit buff my poor Privateer has become nothing more than a field medic with mediocre secondary skills. I've been told by KI that the buffs where tweaked to compensate for other enhancements to the class but this has turned out to be unnoticeable in implementation.

The class was a blast to play while it lasted but all good things must come to an end I guess. If I could change his name I would change it to "vanilla yogurt" because that's what he's become. :(

Petty Officer
Apr 21, 2012
Silverlock67 on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
Well, I've been coming back to my level 65 Privateer quite a bit while not working on my Witchdoctor and the jury is in ... my favorite character has been emasculated by the last big update release. The Privateer was such a fun odd ball character because he spent 90 percent of his combat time making both his companions and other players much better. This allowed me to play all sorts of companions I never play with my other pirates because they are not very good without enhancements. It was especially nice to not have to play El Toro as my first mate for a change (to use his buff). Alas, that has ended. Between the shortened buff time of the higher level buffs and what seems at this point to be the complete gutting of the Critical Hit buff my poor Privateer has become nothing more than a field medic with mediocre secondary skills. I've been told by KI that the buffs where tweaked to compensate for other enhancements to the class but this has turned out to be unnoticeable in implementation.

The class was a blast to play while it lasted but all good things must come to an end I guess. If I could change his name I would change it to "vanilla yogurt" because that's what he's become. :(
Not true, and not just because I don't know what 'lamentations' means, or 'emasculated'. But Privateers are still the best at boosting an healing their companions, it's how you play that matters.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012

i get where your coming from, but personally i like the changes to my privateer. before, fighting as a privateer was so easy that it wasn't even fun! i like an actual challenge better, and now that the privateer is changed and tactics are actually involved (as opposed to spamming buffs) the class has become much more fun. his heals are not changed, and i think the crits are better than before.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
I haven't really noticed a change...
My Privateer is level 40. I'm assuming SOME of his powers would be changed too. I doubt it's as bad as you say it is.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have not run my level 65 Privateer since the upgrade, so I cannot really say about high-level privateers. But certainly the baby privateer (now at lvl 14) is doing just fine.

-Indigo

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

Well, I don't see what you're upset about. Privateers are still on top of the pvp mountain. Look at it through the eyes of another class for a moment and you might see how unfair we view the Privateer's abilities to be. Questing is one thing but when these insane powers and talents translate into a super unfair advantage in pvp people get upset. To have one class so superior to the rest is disheartening to say the least. At least now Privateers have to try...a little...to win at pvp. Welcome to the real world.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
wraithcaster on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
Not true, and not just because I don't know what 'lamentations' means, or 'emasculated'. But Privateers are still the best at boosting an healing their companions, it's how you play that matters.
Lamentations - to cry loudly over a situation, & emasculate - loss of power, becoming weak.