Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Best place to use Practice points - Privateer

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 16, 2013
Hi.

I am a level 54 Privateer and want to know the best place to use my Practice points? I currently have 14-15 saved as I haven't used any as yet. I have done this for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I just wasn't sure where best to use them, and Secondly, as I increased my privateer skills, I wasn't sure that adding other talents would just clutter and prevent me from using needed talents in battle.

Anyway I have finally got around to reading some of the in-game guides and see that privateer's benefit from 'Will' which is magical spells etc. Therefore, should I be using all my Practice points in the Witchdoctors Sanctum?? Or are there other must have talents I should be learning?

Some expert advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
It really depends on your play style. Your strength in will would be a helpful thing in witchdoctor attacks. You have ranged attacks already; would witchdoctor attacks tend to have the same utility as you play as the privateer attacks you have already? Which of their purchasable spells do you wish you had? Do you tend to play close melee style or keep yourself further away? What is your prefered weapon? To use some of the witchdoctor attacks, you might need to have a wand equipped, so you might need to change your weapon to a wand or a staffy combo weapon.
On the other hand, you might want to give yourself an alternative attack, for when you run into opponents with good resistance to will attacks. Swashbuckler's hide and backstab are popular with many pirates as a second class. Buccaneer spells could also be good since many privateers use strength based weapons in melee. There are a number of schools that offer passive talents which are always active and wouldn't clutter your epic power list during a fight. You might choose one like extra slashy, spooky, or shooty damage depending on your prefered weapon. If you don't like whatever prerequisites you need to get them, you can put them at the end of your talent list so they don't show as often.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Calamity Finch on Oct 24, 2013 wrote:
It really depends on your play style. Your strength in will would be a helpful thing in witchdoctor attacks. You have ranged attacks already; would witchdoctor attacks tend to have the same utility as you play as the privateer attacks you have already? Which of their purchasable spells do you wish you had? Do you tend to play close melee style or keep yourself further away? What is your prefered weapon? To use some of the witchdoctor attacks, you might need to have a wand equipped, so you might need to change your weapon to a wand or a staffy combo weapon.
On the other hand, you might want to give yourself an alternative attack, for when you run into opponents with good resistance to will attacks. Swashbuckler's hide and backstab are popular with many pirates as a second class. Buccaneer spells could also be good since many privateers use strength based weapons in melee. There are a number of schools that offer passive talents which are always active and wouldn't clutter your epic power list during a fight. You might choose one like extra slashy, spooky, or shooty damage depending on your prefered weapon. If you don't like whatever prerequisites you need to get them, you can put them at the end of your talent list so they don't show as often.
You don't need to change your weapon to use any witchdoctor skill. They work just fine. It Is a good idea to get all the spooky you can as that will boost a privateer's healing. In order to pick up spooky a few witchdoctor skills need to be picked up, I believe. There are also a lot of really powerful slashy/smashy weapons so my privateer picked up smashy and choppy skills so she could combine them with her slashy stuff. I picked up Walk In Shadows from the swashbucklers and I know of at least two boss fights where my ability to hide made the difference in winning or losing the fight. In retrospect my privateer picked up all the weapon's skills so she could use whatever the highest damage weapon she found and get the added damage bonus. That little trap from the musketeer's doesn't seem like much but it has done some serious damage when she was boosted and placed it. In Aquila, every little bit helps.

Ensign
May 16, 2013
Thanks for that Calamity. You've given me plenty of food for thought! I tend to use either slashy weapons more often than not due to the bonus I get as a privateer, although I haven't been too specific and tend to use the most powerful weapon that comes along I like to sit in behind the front line, controlling things from afar. I don't get too involved if its not necessary.

Swashbucklers hide & backstab.. Are they options that will avail themselves later (I'm only showing training options to lv25 for Swashbuckler atm), or are you referring to Sneak Attack, Walk in Shadows etc? Sorry, don't mean to be a noob!

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
It depends on how you play.If you can give me more info,I can try my best to help you.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Yup, Walk in Shadows and Sneak Attack are the ones I meant. Thanks Chrissy for the assist on witchdoctor lore. I didn't know that about the weapon. I just know weapon is a big factor if you pick anything musketeer, because if you don't have a gun equipped, there are a lot of shooting attacks that go unusable grey. Also there are some swashbuckler attacks that can't be used if you don't have some kind of cutting weapon equipped.