Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

is moo manchu truly evil?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 02, 2015
any thoughts on the matter?

(psst i know you're probably busy but am talking to you too, blind mew.)

Admiral
May 30, 2010
You'd first need to define "evil". Is it someone who goes against the mores of the day? Someone who is utterly amoral? What's the bar here between "evil" and "irritating in a sad sort of way"? Does even a single "nice" characteristic mitigate the title of evil?

He certainly is presented as evil to us, the pirates, but how reliable is our source of information? It's someone who stands to lose power if Moo gains power, so doesn't he have a vested interest in making us believe Moo is a thorough-going rotter?

Moo seems to be following certain social constructs. He wants to rule, so it's certainly not in his best interest to kill off everyone or even seriously inconvenience the farmers and tradesmen, since without them he'll have no food and no money. You can't really slaughter the peasants during your reign of terror or you'll run out of people to rule over or irritate them so much they become inspired to rise up against you.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
Of course he is truly evil. He doesn't drop his gear very easily after slugging away at the tower for hours.
That's the essence of evil.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
pgomopc on Jun 10, 2019 wrote:
any thoughts on the matter?

(psst i know you're probably busy but am talking to you too, blind mew.)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's evil. I mean, sinister tower and five minions that once were pirates... Sooo... Yeah, evil.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
And not just the tower! He's willing to terrorize whole villages, cause misery to an entire world, and dispose of anyone who gets in his way, all because he wants to be on the throne. I'd say he's evil.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
"Of course he is truly evil. He doesn't drop his gear very easily after slugging away at the tower for hours.
That's the essence of evil."

To In Search of Yum: LOL!!! That is so true.

"Yeah, he's evil and so is Majordomo."

To Oran from Urz: Whaaat? What are you talking about?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Let's examine our encounters with Moo Manchu: Everyone who has done the side quest starting with "The Moo Manchurian Candidate" & some of our Kraken Skulls companion's promotions, ought to have noticed that Moo has a code of honor; it's different from ours, but he spares our lives in a few instances out of respect for our abilities. Thisis very clear, especially when he tells us he went looking for other pirates to join him ( hence the Nefarious Five ).
BUT, he is egotistical ( "Surely you would not dream to oppose me." "Yes I would, and don't call me Shirley." ). Moreover, he is selfish, his needs and desires come before all else. He would rule MooShu. If he can't get it one way, he'll try another. And with the quest "A call for help" he proves he is willing to attack innocent people to gain his objectives.
And, after all, isn't this the exact same thing that Kane tries to do?
This is what I enjoy about KI writing: villains aren't just evil to be evil, ( you see this in W101 with Malistaire and later with Old Cob ), they a have a reason for their actions; we may not agree with those reasons but we can sympathise, even when we oppose them.

Ensign
Apr 02, 2015
replying to my own post (zounds domo, i know, i know) but i don't think he's evil, in fact i think he's a spy working for/with a "ceertain (spirit /undead) someone" to keep tabs on us (pirates) while also keeping up the ruse that he is evil and nefarious..

or not.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
pgomopc on Jun 16, 2019 wrote:
replying to my own post (zounds domo, i know, i know) but i don't think he's evil, in fact i think he's a spy working for/with a "ceertain (spirit /undead) someone" to keep tabs on us (pirates) while also keeping up the ruse that he is evil and nefarious..

or not.
If you have an interesting speculation about Moo Manchu, why not just come out and say it? Why ask if we think he's evil or not?
Some may disagree, but that shouldn't stop you.

Ensign
Apr 02, 2015
anecorbie on Jun 17, 2019 wrote:
If you have an interesting speculation about Moo Manchu, why not just come out and say it? Why ask if we think he's evil or not?
Some may disagree, but that shouldn't stop you.
i don't mean to be rude or anything and sorry if i am but haven't you "accidentally" done the same (or a similar) thing before, hence your impressive amount of posts? (9321 and counting)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
pgomopc on Jun 19, 2019 wrote:
i don't mean to be rude or anything and sorry if i am but haven't you "accidentally" done the same (or a similar) thing before, hence your impressive amount of posts? (9321 and counting)
Whenever I have something to say, I say it - I don't beat around the bush. Most of those "impressive" posts were on one thread ( or another ).

I believe I answered your question about Moo already.
So why not share your speculation?